You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenanigans_Abound

Border humping still being exploited??

48 comments in this topic

Members
511 posts
6,867 battles

Its been like 2 1/2 years since i started playing this game and one thing that has always bugged me is the ships that just stay on the border knowing its just an abuse of a flaw in the game... yet nothing is being done about it.. You cant properly aim at them, you cant figure out which way they're actually moving, why is this still something we are dealing with? Just played a game where a DM was just riding the border and nothing could be done about it. 3 ships shooting at him, either all 3 of us were really bad shots or that mechanic is just clearly broken. 

I know, I know... they "fixed" that by reducing engine power. No they didn't.. it still happens and its still a problem that needs to be addressed but lets keep ignoring the faults of the game while dumping in premium after premium.  

My suggestion is a simple one, when you hit the border it should kick you back into the map of play so riding on the border can no longer be abused. The way planes are kicked back in when they hit the edge should be exactly how ships are kicked back in, no reason it cant be like that or lower the engine speed to quarter and maybe then people will make an actual effort to avoid the border instead of running for it to abuse it when they see trouble coming. 

its not a common problem by any means but you always get that ship in 1 out of 3 games who just humps it knowing it messes things up but that is more than enough that it should be addressed..

get it together and start fixing the issues with the game.

sincerely, 

a guy who use to spend 100 or more dollars a month on your game but has cut back to premium time only because why support a game that doesn't fix bugs.. 

• Cool 9
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 4

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,671 posts
11,710 battles

The problem has been fixed for years. Engine power is cut to 1/4 when you are on the border. They are only slightly more difficult to hit than an island.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles

No. Two major changes have happened.

1) The ship speed is slowed dramatically until the ship can get off the border.

2) WG fixed the aiming issue.

So now sure a ship can use the border to avoid broadside, but they are now actually easier to hit. Not a good tactic, unless you have not choice.

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
71 posts
22,287 battles

The above is true for BB's. Any fast CA or DD still is hard to hit when they can turn left then right the auto aim still has problems. BB's can't do it anymore. Also, the players have learned to compensate for the autoaim issue.

[HRVAT]
Members
1,233 posts
9,508 battles

When I see someone run into border, I leap for joy at all the free damage I am about to get

• Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
4,772 posts
3,337 battles

Uhm, who cares? Border humping loses games. So, please, by all means, border hump far from the caps so my own team can win, thanks.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,555 posts
14,666 battles
41 minutes ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

My suggestion is a simple one, when you hit the border it should kick you back into the map of play so riding on the border can no longer be abused. The way planes are kicked back in when they hit the edge should be exactly how ships are kicked back in, no reason it cant be like that or lower the engine speed to quarter and maybe then people will make an actual effort to avoid the border instead of running for it to abuse it when they see trouble coming. 

If the ships were kicked back in like planes from a CV, good players could and would easily abuse that mechanic.  As a host of others have already said, ships that ride the border lose horsepower quickly and are easy to hit.  If they stay on the border too long and their speed drops to near zero, they almost become stuck to it, requiring a lengthy amount of time to move off it.  

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles
39 minutes ago, paradat said:

No. Two major changes have happened.

1) The ship speed is slowed dramatically until the ship can get off the border.

2) WG fixed the aiming issue.

So now sure a ship can use the border to avoid broadside, but they are now actually easier to hit. Not a good tactic, unless you have not choice.

Not sure number 2 is 100% fixed.  I've had to unselect people on the border to get shells to go where I expected them to go not too long ago.  Could have been me more than the game, but I am still suspicious of the dispersion bonus on a selected ship having some quirks against border targets.

[WAG]
Members
849 posts
11,438 battles

Not everyone on the border is necessarily trying to abuse a mechanic. Depending on how you run into the border, sometimes it is very difficult to get off.

• Cool 2

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,641 posts
1,067 battles

Hey Captains,

If you are on the border of the map, your ship will quickly become quite slow and non-agile. We have all ran into the border and tried to turn around, one thing you will notice with the slowing of your ship is you can end up showing a lot of broadside going really slow. This is definitely noticeable when you are in a BB and you are sitting there going "hurry, hurry" lol. Remember, if a ship is going head on to the border and makes no attempt to maneuver off of it, they will become very slow and an easy target to hit. 

1 minute ago, DustRhino said:

Not everyone on the border is necessarily trying to abuse a mechanic. Depending on how you run into the border, sometimes it is very difficult to get off.

This is also a good point, you could have just not been paying attention to where you were headed and meet the border. I know I have done this before and the border slowing really does hurt when you are in a running gun battle. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
669 posts
27 minutes ago, Kami said:

you could have just not been paying attention to where you were headed and meet the border.

or island or even another ship  :Smile_sad:    :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,405 posts
20,518 battles

There have been several threads about Border Hugging recently, all of which I felt were silly.  Ships doing that are easy to hit.  Copy of my reply in one such thread where the OP in particular was really ranting about it.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:05 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ships lose speed drastically at the border.  They become insanely easy to hit.  I don't see this as an issue.

Ships hugging the border lose their speed, you don't need to lead out far anymore.  Your point of aim in these 2 salvos is completely wrong.  I took these screenshots the moment you fired your salvos:

This one is completely wrong, you were aiming ahead of the ship as if it was moving forward.  You can clearly see, Henri isn't moving forward yet your aim treated it as if it was.

CDqlyDQ.jpg

Same thing again with this one.

nLCJpJH.jpg

Broadside Henri slowed down by the border against a 406mm armed Battleship at 11.1km is easy.  Especially for a Russian Battleship with its improved dispersion at this range against a Cruiser this large.  But good dispersion is irrelevant if the user's aim is wrong.

The Henri player wasn't cheating.  YOU had bad aim, OP, and the improved accuracy of Sovetsky Soyuz at 11.1km isn't going to help that.

One should be happy if your opponent is stupid enough to hug the border.  It effectively kills their speed, making subsequent maneuvering by them very slow.  They're easy to hit.

I remember long ago playing old Tier VI Cleveland, I was trying to chase down a kiting Myoko player.  At the ranges Myoko was kiting at, I struggled to hit with my very floaty USN Cruiser shells.  Then Myoko made the mistake of hitting the border and I caught up making lots and lots and lots of consecutive, high hit% attacks.  He tried to go "forward" at the border thinking I'd be stupid and tried to lead in front of him.  That didn't work, I got nothing but hits.  He then tries to recover by turning to the side to go back into the map, regain his speed, and resume kiting again.  That didn't work either, because the border killed his speed so much that it took him ages to turn back into the map and even longer to get the speed back.  It took so long that's where I killed him.  Kiting Myoko in open water should have easily murdered my Cleveland that doesn't have the speed to get close.  Hugging the border let my Cleveland close in and easily start making hits, winning the fight.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
2 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

Its been like 2 1/2 years since i started playing this game and one thing that has always bugged me is the ships that just stay on the border knowing its just an abuse of a flaw in the game... yet nothing is being done about it.. You cant properly aim at them, you cant figure out which way they're actually moving, why is this still something we are dealing with? Just played a game where a DM was just riding the border and nothing could be done about it. 3 ships shooting at him, either all 3 of us were really bad shots or that mechanic is just clearly broken. 

I know, I know... they "fixed" that by reducing engine power. No they didn't.. it still happens and its still a problem that needs to be addressed but lets keep ignoring the faults of the game while dumping in premium after premium.  

its not a common problem by any means but you always get that ship in 1 out of 3 games who just humps it knowing it messes things up but that is more than enough that it should be addressed..

get it together and start fixing the issues with the game.

You can't aim properly at ships on the border?  Maybe the problem is you and not the game or the borders.  So, instead of coming here to complain about ships on the borders, maybe you need to working on aiming at border humping ships.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[NFE]
Members
349 posts
3,103 battles
2 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

either all 3 of us were really bad shots...

Yeah, based on the games I've played recently, I'm gonna go with that option.

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
12,018 posts
21,513 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

The problem has been fixed for years. Engine power is cut to 1/4 when you are on the border. They are only slightly more difficult to hit than an island.

This...

1 hour ago, LadyAnesjka said:

When I see someone run into border, I leap for joy at all the free damage I am about to get

...and this.

The only ‘exploit’ that really remains is that hitting the border fast enough, and manipulating your rudder correctly means you can pull off a bootleg turn and start heading back towards a pursuer.

Of course, you are STILL slowed down, so YMMV.

3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

You can't aim properly at ships on the border?  Maybe the problem is you and not the game or the borders.  So, instead of coming here to complain about ships on the borders, maybe you need to working on aiming at border humping ships.

Crudely put, but essentially correct.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

Crudely put, but essentially correct.

Nothing crude about it.  I said what needed to be said directly and not in some namby pamby, "OMG the truth might offend someone" way.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[WOLFG]
Members
24,716 posts
6,108 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

....and not in some namby pamby, "OMG the truth might offend someone" way.

I thought the "maybes" were a trifle milquetoast......:Smile_trollface:

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I thought the "maybes" were a trifle milquetoast......:Smile_trollface:

Yeah, "maybe" they were.  I guess I need to up my game.  I must be getting soft in my old age.  :cap_old:

[LOSC]
Members
467 posts

Why Not make the ships that stay after a certain time limit go pink or orange.

If you hit the border by accident you will try and leave that area of operations but if you try and use it as a Glitch then you pay the Glitch price.

[WOLFG]
Members
24,716 posts
6,108 battles
16 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Yeah, "maybe" they were.  I guess I need to up my game.  I must be getting soft in my old age.  :cap_old:

I never thought though, are you Canadian? If so, the "maybes" were pretty blunt

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I never thought though, are you Canadian? If so, the "maybes" were pretty blunt

Oh, hell no.  I'm a life long New Englander.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,405 posts
20,518 battles
5 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

If you hit the border by accident you will try and leave that area of operations but if you try and use it as a Glitch then you pay the Glitch price.

The punishment is already there.

You shoot at them.

Ships at the border lose so much of their speed and they're barely moving.

The only thing easier to hit than a border hugging ship is an island.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
5 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

While I'll give you kudos for an interesting idea, I don't think that it's necessary.  The OP is complaining about having difficulty hitting ships on the border, and then blames everyone but himself for his own difficulties!!!

[WOLFG]
Members
24,716 posts
6,108 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Oh, hell no.  I'm a life long New Englander.

Oh, an American Newfie....:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

Oh, an American Newfie....:Smile_trollface:

LOL!!!  :Smile_veryhappy: