You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

Next Ranked Season Conundrum - Seattle?

20 comments in this topic

Members
275 posts
10,179 battles

Hey, captains.  I just read the rules for the next ranked season, and I see it will be played with T9 ships.  I'd like some opinions.  Here's my situation:

I'm a cruiser guy.  BBs and DDs just haven't clicked for me.  I've been playing with several cruiser lines simultaneously, but haven't yet made T9 in ANY of them.  But I really would like to participate in the next ranked season.  No intention of striking for rank 1, but if I play even one battle, I'll get some decent rewards, since I'll get several stars based on my placement in the previous ranked season (I worked through a few ranks, using a rental cruiser).  Maybe I could at least make it  to first league...or maybe not.

The obvious first problem, of course, is lack of a T9 boat for the event.  I DO have T8 Cleveland, which I just acquired a few weeks ago.  I've played her enough to get her fully upgraded, and I now have a 14 point captain for her.  But I played her quite a bit in coop, and only just started playing randoms.  My plan was to play her a LOT more before acquiring Seattle.  But now, my only viable option for the next ranked season seems to be to get busy and buy Seattle now, get her fully upgraded, and move my Cleveland captain up to Seattle, at least until the ranked season ends.  I had  planned to leave him on Cleveland indefinitely - moving him to Seattle, then back to Cleveland will obviously be pretty inefficient.

Looking at Seattle, she appears to be one of the lowest performing of all the T9 cruisers.  So, if I take this low-performing ship, that I just bought and haven't fully figured out how to play yet, out into ranked battles, will I just get murdered?  Would I be beating my brains out against a brick wall?  Is it worth the hassle (and all the insulting [edited] from team mates), or should I just blow off this ranked season and have fun with the ships I have?  What would you do?

[ARGSY]
Members
15,219 posts
9,994 battles
1 minute ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

So, if I take this low-performing ship, that I just bought and haven't fully figured out how to play yet, out into ranked battles, will I just get murdered?

Going on my own experience with the Edinburgh at the same stage in my playing career, my answer will be yes. The fact that you have a lot more battles under your belt than I did when I first played (T8) Ranked may mitigate this.

If you can grind her out, and maybe if you have 4 million credits to spare to grab the US apocalypse captain so you have at least a 10-pointer to put in her without having to move the Cleveland captain, MAYBE give it a go. But it could easily become an exercise in frustration, and if you have only barely moved up to T8 in any line at all and have very little PvP experience in it, then IMHO you are not ready for what T9 Ranked would be like. Plus when you are sunk, you are sitting on your hands waiting until your ship regenerates in port. And the credit costs of buying a T9 and filling all her module slots are impressively steep. 

I really think you're better off sitting this season out, as disappointing as that advice may be. Use the opportunity to build two or three lines up to T8 at least, so that you have more high-tier experience, some breadth to your lines, and reserve ships at the same tier. 

[-K-]
Members
7,347 posts
12,044 battles
14 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

So, if I take this low-performing ship, that I just bought and haven't fully figured out how to play yet, out into ranked battles, will I just get murdered?  

Likely yes.

Sadly, I see nothing in the notes about this being an Arms Race mode.  WG, what gives?

Arms Race was one of the most enjoyable Ranked seasons we've had, and now it's been put out to pasture after just one pass.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
1,995 posts
19,415 battles

Seattle is treated a little unfairly, frankly.  It's not so much as she's a "bad" ship; but she's just really not much greater (if any) then the Cleveland.  She really doesn't occupy a space that is perfectly positioned between Cleveland and Wooster.

That said, she still has a ton of guns, a ton of tools.  If you enjoyed Cleveland let yourself enjoy Seattle.  Don't let others tell you, or stats tell you, that you can't enjoy this ship.

Good luck, have fun.

Beta Testers
780 posts
10,000 battles

Seattle has several issues that mostly relate to her poor range.  Pretty much most cruisers are squishy but most things the Seattle engages in are are at ranges that are do-or-die.  So if you are uncertain about her I definitely would not recommend her for competitive. She does take some getting used to and at T9 there is little forgiveness at those ranges

Members
1,264 posts
15,973 battles

There will be people that look up every one of your stats before the game starts... they think it gives them an edge over those of us that couldn't care less about stats.

So when they see how little experience you have in the Seattle just be prepared for the grief from your own teammates as well as being targeted by the reds because you're seen as an easy kill.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,219 posts
9,994 battles
12 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Arms Race was one of the most enjoyable Ranked seasons we've had

Maybe for players like you, but it seemed to me to have a potential for the better players more easily being able to fight their way to the buffs and murder the lesser lights who were trying for them. I could see me being one of those lesser lights, especially given the first team I ended up on; I tried it once and walked away.

[-K-]
Members
7,347 posts
12,044 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Maybe for players like you, but it seemed to me to have a potential for the better players more easily being able to fight their way to the buffs and murder the lesser lights who were trying for them. I could see me being one of those lesser lights, especially given the first team I ended up on; I tried it once and walked away.

I just think it makes for a less campy and more aggressive play experience.  Z-46 was an absolute beast for me last T9 Ranked.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,219 posts
9,994 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

I just think it makes for a less campy and more aggressive play experience. 

It did that for the people who understood the meta change; those that didn't let their more aggressive team-mates go forward without support. 

[-K-]
Members
7,347 posts
12,044 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It did that for the people who understood the meta change; those that didn't let their more aggressive team-mates go forward without support. 

Can't spoon feed everybody all the time.  Sometimes you gotta get thrown in with the wolves to learn how to fight.

• Cool 1

[HRVAT]
Members
1,255 posts
9,692 battles

I will go play a game of Seattle for you so you can see how she handles.

49 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Hey, captains.  I just read the rules for the next ranked season, and I see it will be played with T9 ships.  I'd like some opinions.  Here's my situation:

I'm a cruiser guy.  BBs and DDs just haven't clicked for me.  I've been playing with several cruiser lines simultaneously, but haven't yet made T9 in ANY of them.  But I really would like to participate in the next ranked season.  No intention of striking for rank 1, but if I play even one battle, I'll get some decent rewards, since I'll get several stars based on my placement in the previous ranked season (I worked through a few ranks, using a rental cruiser).  Maybe I could at least make it  to first league...or maybe not.

The obvious first problem, of course, is lack of a T9 boat for the event.  I DO have T8 Cleveland, which I just acquired a few weeks ago.  I've played her enough to get her fully upgraded, and I now have a 14 point captain for her.  But I played her quite a bit in coop, and only just started playing randoms.  My plan was to play her a LOT more before acquiring Seattle.  But now, my only viable option for the next ranked season seems to be to get busy and buy Seattle now, get her fully upgraded, and move my Cleveland captain up to Seattle, at least until the ranked season ends.  I had  planned to leave him on Cleveland indefinitely - moving him to Seattle, then back to Cleveland will obviously be pretty inefficient.

Looking at Seattle, she appears to be one of the lowest performing of all the T9 cruisers.  So, if I take this low-performing ship, that I just bought and haven't fully figured out how to play yet, out into ranked battles, will I just get murdered?  Would I be beating my brains out against a brick wall?  Is it worth the hassle (and all the insulting [edited] from team mates), or should I just blow off this ranked season and have fun with the ships I have?  What would you do?

[-TKS-]
Members
1,019 posts
8,057 battles
56 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Seattle is a good ship. Ranked is the best place to quickly farm your ship to max researched status. you might get beat up a little, but there are no blaring disadvantages.  In one season you should be able to unlock the Worcester. the salt of rank will be present regardless of how upgraded your ship is. just do your best and forget the rest. 

[VW]
Members
3,235 posts
16,323 battles
1 hour ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Drop 1M fxp for yolaska.

Members
164 posts
12,426 battles

Playing in ranked and clan wars are different than random battles, less ships different mentality. Any ship can be productive if used right. Yes some ships have better base value than others naturally. If you are good at a ship and the big thing is play to her strengths you'll be fine. Good luck... Key is to play to the ships strengths.. I Play many different styles but always change to the ship... I have kronshdt, Azuma, Alaska, black and musashi... If you play the same in all you'll suffer..just play.. Only way you gain experience is playing 😉

[HRVAT]
Members
1,255 posts
9,692 battles
1 hour ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Losing effort but I did well.

20190719_122057_PASC209-Seattle_25_sea_hope.wowsreplay

Members
275 posts
10,179 battles
1 hour ago, LadyAnesjka said:

Thank you thank you, Lady.  I appreciate all the responses...very helpful...but y'all have to admit, Lady went above and beyond.

What I see in the replay is a couple things.  First off, your play style and mine seem to be pretty similar, especially early in the game, which makes me hope my mileage might be reasonably similar.  Second, you are pretty good at slinging HE over islands at targets that are spotted, but with no direct LOS - something I think I do reasonably well, too.  Third, overall, the boat seems to handle reasonably like Helena and Cleveland, before her.

One question:  there near the end, you were firing AP into that BB.  Is the AP really that good?  My gut reaction when I see a BB, even at that range, is to reach for the HE, but you certainly did seem to be doing decent damage with AP.

At this point, I'm having positive thoughts, but...still thinking...

[HRVAT]
Members
1,255 posts
9,692 battles
7 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Thank you thank you, Lady.  I appreciate all the responses...very helpful...but y'all have to admit, Lady went above and beyond.

What I see in the replay is a couple things.  First off, your play style and mine seem to be pretty similar, especially early in the game, which makes me hope my mileage might be reasonably similar.  Second, you are pretty good at slinging HE over islands at targets that are spotted, but with no direct LOS - something I think I do reasonably well, too.  Third, overall, the boat seems to handle reasonably like Helena and Cleveland, before her.

One question:  there near the end, you were firing AP into that BB.  Is the AP really that good?  My gut reaction when I see a BB, even at that range, is to reach for the HE, but you certainly did seem to be doing decent damage with AP.

At this point, I'm having positive thoughts, but...still thinking...

With the BB that close i was "hoping" to get a citadel to save myself.

AP is iffy, can get lucky, can not. At that range, is worth the gamble because more than likely going to die, so if you can get lucky citadel, will save youself.

Members
522 posts
4,839 battles

Seattle takes a while to master and is fragile to same or higher tier ships. It’s range is meh. I’ve had a few good games in her but I wouldn’t think to take her anywhere near ranked especially if you just bought her. However, if you get good with her, it’ll make using the Wooster that much easier. Wooster is basically a superior Seattle.

[KNMSU]
Members
6,865 posts
7,503 battles
6 hours ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Hey, captains.  I just read the rules for the next ranked season, and I see it will be played with T9 ships.

Oh, yay, I won't bother, then.

[WOLFC]
Members
619 posts
22,471 battles
6 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Sadly, I see nothing in the notes about this being an Arms Race mode.  WG, what gives?

Arms Race was one of the most enjoyable Ranked seasons we've had, and now it's been put out to pasture after just one pass.

This, exactly. I hope Arms Race hasn't been relegated to things like the Rogue Wave event.