TheURLGuy

Naval Legends: K-21 – Trailer

62 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
Members
10,236 posts
28 minutes ago, TheURLGuy said:

Watch the trailer for the next episode of Naval Legends!

Read it on the portal

WG staff here claim they're reading the forums.

If so, how is it not getting through to them/you, to Minsk, that if you try to cram subs into this game, it's going to look something like the reaction to the first NTC announcement all over again.

You seem to think that the fairly positive reaction to subs in the Halloween event is a sign that they will be well received, without considering what they'll be like to play against, and the nearly impossible challenge of making playing and playing against subs work in the context of the broader gameplay (not a one-sided PVE event).  

Submarines will be the worst aspects of the spotting system and smoke, combined with the worst aspects of CVs, for those trying to play any other ship type.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 5

[WOLFG]
Members
308 posts
8,782 battles

To be honest, didn't know Russia had subs during World War Two.  Only really hear about the German, US and IJN subs in most histories.

• Cool 5

[CMFRT]
Members
10,236 posts
1 minute ago, Colonel_Potter said:

To be honest, didn't know Russia had subs during World War Two.  Only really hear about the German, US and IJN subs in most histories.

They had the largest sub fleet in the world at the start of the war.

Which from what I've found so far did very little outside their home waters during the war.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
Members
10,236 posts
1 minute ago, Kuriour said:

You guys are just determined to shoehorn submarines in to this, aren't you?

This lingering possibility is way up my list of reasons the wallet is closed for now -- I'm not spending any more money on a game that could be utterly unplayable in a year.  

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,084 posts

Now see I'm on the other side of the isle on this one... FULL SPEED AHEAD!

I think there were clues to gameplay in the video... like attacking... she only gets one shot. The words on the anchor, "large cruising sub" or some such thing... 

I really do see them coming as a variation on the Hallow Weiner thing they did... maybe as a special Ops mode to get players to accept them in the game, just not in randoms. We could see ops setup for nothing BUT subs... mission to take out all cargo ships, sink other certain ships, you know. 

Then maybe later on, when they have everyone playing and enjoying them, introduce them into the pve/pvp mode. Or not. 

Just having them in multiple ops missions would be a-okay with me! As long as they keep them close to realistic.,

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
Members
10,236 posts
21 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Now see I'm on the other side of the isle on this one... FULL SPEED AHEAD!

I think there were clues to gameplay in the video... like attacking... she only gets one shot. The words on the anchor, "large cruising sub" or some such thing... 

I really do see them coming as a variation on the Hallow Weiner thing they did... maybe as a special Ops mode to get players to accept them in the game, just not in randoms. We could see ops setup for nothing BUT subs... mission to take out all cargo ships, sink other certain ships, you know. 

Then maybe later on, when they have everyone playing and enjoying them, introduce them into the pve/pvp mode. Or not. 

Just having them in multiple ops missions would be a-okay with me! As long as they keep them close to realistic.,

Close to realistic would make them incompatible with the rest of the game.

Not close to realistic would make them game-breaking for every other ship in the game.

There's just no way to make them work in WOWS Randoms, Co-op, etc.   They'd only work in their own Halloween-like special mode.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,902 posts
7,831 battles

I don't quite see what K-21 did in her career that would make me think "Hey, a NL-Episode is really in order". From what I can see she spent most of her time gunning down fishing boats, and her one major event during WW2 was that she got into a torpedo firing position against Tirpitz, and then missed. If that event is what makes K-21 so special, why not just do a NL on Tirpitz instead and get K-21 in there? Or, you know, for a change, a NL Episode on any German ship? Because there's not a single one out there. It's not like there are numerous candidates with enough meat for over an hour of a video...

Spoiler

Tirpitz, Bismarck, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau as the usual BB suspects

Deutschland and her influence world wide when she entered the spotlight
Graf Spee and her short but noticable career
Admiral Scheer, the most successful German surface raider

Admiral Hipper, unfortunate design, yet an active career
Prinz Eugen, which shouldn't need an introduction

The K-class which marked a whole new era of German shipbuilding, and would play a role in the inter-war period as political tools

German Destroyer development, if the Project 7 DDs deserved their own episode, I don't see how German DDs don't deserve one

The entire fricking German uboat fleet, with too many topics to pick

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
8,125 posts
12,753 battles

Well, just surviving the war is pretty legendary for a Soviet submarine. Their losses were appalling. In all 86 full-sized boats were lost, 56 to mines. Inventive ways to lose boats included to ramming by Finnish submarines, losing two to 'friendly' mines in the Pacific and one to attack by a Japanese submarine while neutral with Japan.

K-21 did better than most Soviet subs, claiming a couple of freighters with mines from the looks of things, but really 'Naval Legends' should be renamed 'Naval Museum Ships and Others'.

For the Soviets being at the bottom of a bag in the Baltic dominated by mines wasn't an enjoyable experience. I can't imagine sailing on a patrol, especially in that area (K-21 was Northern Fleet) mid-war when you've seen dozens of colleagues boats not return.

KZhtqYX.jpg

That table is disagreed with in other sources, painting an even grimmer picture, table from 'On Seas Contested The Seven Great Navies of the Second World War' by O'Hara, Dickson and Worth.

NkrKxjh.png

The Soviets started the war with 215 submarines and ended it with 150. A not inconsiderable force, though many of them were very small and incapable. the Germans started the war with just 56, though a couple of years earlier.

Further assessment from 'On Seas Contested':

Spoiler

av0Uk8m.png

I suspect the Naval Legends will perhaps paint a rosier picture!

Edited by mofton
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
5 posts
3,332 battles
54 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

They gotta dig pretty "deep" to find any Soviet naval history that can pass as featured historical content...

• Cool 1

Members
18 posts
8,393 battles

Just another way for WG to fustercluck the game and totaly paint the ships the way they want to and dig deeper into the wallets of the players. I have never spent a dime on this game and never will which is why I agree with a previous player and probably in a year the game will be in a state to which could be utterly impossible to play in a year or so. They cant even balance cv's without screwing up another aspect of them so subs are gonna be utterly fusterclucked from the beginning.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,203 posts
17,729 battles
1 hour ago, von_Krimm said:

Submarines; gotta be good for the game. right?

Yeah …. like that CV rework everybody was in love with. You people never learn!

• Cool 1

Members
60 posts

she was a fishing boat sinker and with gunfire never had a torpedo strike and sank two freighters with mines and shared a claim with K3 on the destruction of a sub chaser by another mine.

[WARHK]
Members
122 posts
5,080 battles

The "CV rework" is THE reason I won't ever spend a dime in Wows...and if it weren't for WoT actually wouldn't spend anything with WG.  So much bad unbalancing going on...

[CTF38]
Members
4,525 posts
13,224 battles

Submarines are coming, folks.  I know it, you know it, WG knows it, and they are no longer denying it.  The halloween subs and all the videos are simply a version of the Stockholm Syndrome aimed at desensitizing everyone to the eventuality.

Bring them on.  I don't care anymore.  I embrace them.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WARHK]
Members
122 posts
5,080 battles

IF submarines could be introduced with a balanced method it would be great.

Don't hold your breath on anything resembling balance.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
669 posts

yup looks to be the new thing coming, reserving judgement until we know more about mechanics

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles

"SOON"!!!!!!!!!

OK so maybe they are just messing with us? Because nobody trolls like Russian trolls... :Smile_hiding: but...……... SOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOONSOON

Hilarious Gif GIF

• Funny 1