Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Benham: Master of Unfinished Business

7 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles

Got the Benham last night and I've been putting in heavy work with it today.  So far my results have been good in most categories, except for that pesky important one - win rate.

So not to overstate the obvious, but Benham has a lot of torpedoes (16) and they reload real fast (65 seconds with the right setup).  If you have half an idea of what you're doing, you ARE going to land hits.  Yeah, you're pretty squishy and your guns might be the worst in tier, so getting tagged by radar or spotted by a DD is going to suck, but the torpedoes...

So what happens?  Well, so far, games like this keep happening.

Spoiler

shot-19_07.18_23_58.11-0211.thumb.jpg.99e932869249dd78fea655a948dda9ea.jpg

shot-19_07.19_00_01.52-0569.thumb.jpg.20c5b0044dbaad730b2abfb40cdd024b.jpg

shot-19_07.19_00_01.34-0286.thumb.jpg.ac571092709288af44e6bbc713a736b4.jpg

shot-19_07.19_00_01.18-0761.thumb.jpg.65e74340eade7869b5282acb9b292f4d.jpg

You are going to get hits.  You are going to get damage.  You may even sink some stuff.  Are you going to lead your team to victory?  Perhaps not.

So what's going on here?  I think perhaps Benham suffers from the same disease as the post-rework carrier: The ability to launch torpedo attacks practically nonstop, although each individual salvo is not usually devastating.  Without the guns to finish off a wounded target or the HP to trade, the hits and the damage will pile up but you really need your teammates to be able to take advantage of the opportunities you're creating.  Unlike the carriers of course, Benham must operate at the edge of detection and radar, so too many mistakes or too much bad luck will put an end to your match sooner or later.  A good-but-not-great detection range ensures you'll be blundering into shimas and gearings on the regular as you try to get into position to send in the torpedoes.

I want to like the ship, I really do.  I'm a big fan of the USN DDs and this is the first premium ship we've had that didn't follow the formula [Tech Tree Ship] - [Something useful] + [gimmick] = [Premium], but it's been a frustrating experience so far.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,228 posts
7,241 battles

As someone said in another topic, Benham is a ship that's disproportionately good against bad players, but is very lacking against good ones. She gives up everything for that torpedo gimmick, at a tier where that alone really just doesn't work. Because she can spam torpedoes it's very easy for her to come up with damage. Because her torpedoes are short-ish ranged and she's likely to be weaving through radar and CV planes, it's difficult for her to come up with meaningful damage. The horrible gun armament, smallish HP pool, and tragic detection range mean that she has to run from almost any straight fight with a tier VIII-X DD, and so she has poor flexibility and value in actually fighting for caps. In my opinion Benham is a novelty, nothing more, nothing less. She has little place in competitive play, but when she works in random/co-op, the result is hilarious and fun. If Wargaming wanted to make her a little less ineffective they could always drop her detection range down to 5.8km so that she's spotted simultaneous to Fletcher class DDs instead of being spotted out first, and another 1,000 HP or so wouldn't hurt my feelings. Still, it's ok for a premium ship to be nothing more than a novelty, even if it's weird for one to get released as such at tier IX.

Edited by SkaerKrow

[WOLF2]
Members
425 posts
7,700 battles

It's just ok, you can have really good games.  However you're just as likely to have stinkers if you're spotted by the gunboats at high tier.

This is a dd that needs the support of it's teammates really bad if you want it to push in any way.

[R-F]
Members
1,584 posts
9,604 battles
25 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

As someone said in another topic, Benham is a ship that's disproportionately good against bad players, but is very lacking against good ones.

Makes sense.  I've suspected for a while now that torpedoes, moreso than any other form of damage, disproportionately kill bad players.  So many good battleship players can just completely mitigate them, and so many bad ones get devstruck in the first five minutes of the game.

5 minutes ago, khan1670 said:

This is a dd that needs the support of it's teammates really bad if you want it to push in any way.

I agree, I think the torpspam could be very useful to a coordinated team prepared to finish off wounded ships, start fires on ships that used DCP, drop citadels on ships that turn broadside to dodge the torps, etc.  I hope to get the chance to take it out with a division sometime soon, but tonight wasn't the night.

3 minutes ago, dad003 said:

I always seem to play mine with no HP , it always take big damage

Same.  It's hard to get in torp range of the battleships and cruisers you see without stumbling into the other destroyers with equal or better detection than yours.  And then it's a big chunk of HP gone by the time you disengage.  Thank goodness for adrenaline rush, I guess.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,805 posts
13,839 battles

I think because they are a great dmg maker.... and this make people go a lot more for farm dmg then do the objectives (aka get the caps).

Also its not the best ship to go for caps... like people say, lack of hp, guns, and detection.

Also the teans are extreme bad this days, a lot people going to only one cap... let you without suport you can only farm dmg on bbs at distance.

[INTEL]
Members
7,311 posts
31,982 battles

Benham is fun. It is a Clemson at T9.

Granted, the torp one side then turn and torp with the other side meme is fun but gives up a gun for that so in a straight knife fight with Fletcher it will lose.

• Boring 1

Sign in to follow this