Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

14 comments in this topic

Members
58 posts
485 battles

I'm pretty new, and I assumed something about planes attacking but now I'm not sure.  

When planes are attacking my ship, I notice that little airplane figure that I can move around with my mouse.  I'm color blind, but I think it's orange.  Am I supposed to aim that towards the attacking planes for better chance at shooting them down or what is that for?  And is there a button I should push while aiming it or just point it towards the plane?

Thanks

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,793 posts
13,813 battles

AA is automatic, you dont need aiming to planes.

What you can do is increase one "side" of your ship AA [press O or ' and choise the side and do that]

You dont need aiming with your "guns" to planes.

• Cool 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
8 minutes ago, MakersMike said:

I'm color blind

You can change the color of icons, just FYI.

8 minutes ago, MakersMike said:

Am I supposed to aim that towards the attacking planes for better chance at shooting them down or what is that for? 

No. Anti-air fire is automated. The ship outputs a flat damage number depending on which AA aura is firing. Ships usually have 3 AA auras. Long-range (flak cannons), mid-range (think Bofors), and short-range AA (HMGs usually). As planes fly through the auras, the ship will automatically aim and fire at the planes. You can increase the damage output with captain skills or modules. You can also set an AA sector with the '~' key (I believe P does it too) which allows either port or starboard to increase its damage output. At stock, it takes about 12 seconds to switch AA sectors. It is recommended you actively use AA sectors whenever possible.

The best way to avoid plane damage is to be proactive instead of reactive. You want to have your ship already weaving long before the planes enter attack range. Waiting till last minute rarely saves you from damage.

edit: clarity

Edited by 10T0nHammer

Members
58 posts
485 battles

Thanks.  Yes, I know about the O and ', and have been setting priority sectors.  And that's what I thought, that AA is automatic, unless you have the manual fire skill thing.  So what is that plane figure that I can move around?  I'm not referring to my reticle but a little plane that just sits on my screen and I can move with my mouse if needed.  I've seen some video's and they seem to move it towards the planes when being attacked.  I set the colorblind thing to see better, but sometimes I'm still seeing colors different then some. Screenshot attached.  Here's a screenshot.

vVu953D.png

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

I believe it's just there to indicate there's aircraft coming in from 11:00 o'clock. Similar to torpedo directional indicators.

Look at the indicator on that picture versus the direction of the planes on the mini-map. They coincide.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

Members
58 posts
485 battles
9 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

I believe it's just there to indicate there's aircraft coming in from 11:00 o'clock. Similar to torpedo directional indicators.

Look at the indicator on that picture versus the direction of the planes on the mini-map. They coincide.

He's moving it with the mouse towards the planes.  In the video you can see, the view and reticle move exactly with the plane figure as it moves around.  As does my plane when I play.  Planes could be on my starboard side, but it I aim my mouse to port side, that plane will go there.  Ah... Maybe the planes just stay with the mouse so you can see them.  Keeping them in view always in front of you, but they tell you planes are there like you say.  Sometimes it changes to 2 planes, so maybe it tells you how many are firing at you?  

Edited by MakersMike

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

At what time in the video is Notser moving the plane indicator?

It looks to me like he's simply moving the camera and looking towards the planes. Which is a normal tactic. I didn't see the mouse indicator (arrow) come up at all. There's no way to physically interact with that plane indicator I'm aware of.

I think I'll stick with my original analogy. Its simply a directional indicator.  It's orange when the planes are far. Red when they are starting an attack run.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,793 posts
13,813 battles

its just show where the planes are (like torps)

• Cool 1

Members
58 posts
485 battles

Electro

I think you're absolutely correct.  I just meant the indicator plane stays in front of him so he can see it.  That's why I thought he was aiming it.  But it's just staying in view so when he changes his view, it moves too.  Thanks!  You clarified a lot.   I didn't even notice it turning red until you just mentioned it. 

Now I can stop waving my mouse around at the planes lol 

Edited by MakersMike
  • Funny 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
11 minutes ago, MakersMike said:

Electro

I think you're absolutely correct.  I just meant the indicator plane stays in front of him so he can see it.  That's why I thought he was aiming it.  But it's just staying in view so when he changes his view, it moves too.  Thanks!  You clarified a lot.   I didn't even notice it turning red until you just mentioned it. 

Now I can stop waving my mouse around at the planes lol 

You're welcome. I hope you like the new game :)

ProTip: Don't worry about physically watching planes. That can get you killed by enemy artillery fire. Watch the map instead. You will use your mini-map to navigate mostly in this game (if you're good) to maintain situational awareness and navigate around islands while aiming at targets. It can also save your bacon from plane attacks. Go bow/stern on to rockets and torpedo bombers. Go perpendicular to dive bombers for the best chances at survival. Also while keeping in mind if your broadside is facing a ship. Sometimes it's better to just eat the planes rockets than it is to eat a BB's salvo. Gotta pick the lesser of 2 evils.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 1

Members
58 posts
485 battles
Just now, ElectroVeeDub said:

You're welcome. I hope you like the new game :)

ProTip: Don't worry about physically watching planes. That can get you killed by enemy artillery fire. You will use your mini-map to navigate mostly in this game(if you're good) to maintain situational awareness and navigate around islands. It can also save your bacon from plane attacks. Go bow/stern on to rockets and torpedo bombers. Go perpendicular to dive bombers for the best chances at survival. Also while keeping in mind if your broadside is facing a ship. Sometimes it's better to just eat the planes rockets than it is to eat a BB's salvo. Gotta pick the lesser of 2 evils.

LOL.  Yeah this will help, because I was turning my mouse around behind my ship trying to aim that thing at the planes.  And I've learned to use the mini map after enough island crashes. :-)

• Cool 1

Community Department
3,020 posts
1,107 battles
3 hours ago, MakersMike said:

LOL.  Yeah this will help, because I was turning my mouse around behind my ship trying to aim that thing at the planes.  And I've learned to use the mini map after enough island crashes. :-)

I'll leave the link here, some of the videos will be helpful at the start to understand how the mechanics work and the major differences between classes.
It won't take too much time, but I hope it helps you in some ways - https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/guides/
I would also recommend you to watch some special videous about ships you want to take in the near future. It will help to decide on skills and upgrades you may need to take in advance.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this