Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hunter_Steel

Having Played my Yoshino A Bit

19 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,844 posts
3,896 battles

Warning: This is the review of a sub-par cruiser captain who just so happens to enjoy playing this ship and pretty much my experience in her.

RfVosib.jpg

So I've played like 14 battles in my Yoshino. Yes, I have a measly 43% WR (Joining my Yamato for the worst WR High Tier BB that I have that I enjoy playing), and have found that I do in fact quite enjoy playing her. Yes I do suck, and these are the ramblings of a sub-par Yoshino captain (I do intend to improve, my biggest problem is I have poor positioning which leads me to shoot at the wrong targets instead of being in place to shoot the right targets and punish careless pushing, this is something I am actively working on, luckily I still have time to fix my WR.)

But overall, I have no complaints of finally having a Premium ship that I can actually challenge myself in. Been having way too much fun in my Alabama, Scharnhorst, an Z-39 because they're really strong for their tiers and require minimal thinking to actually do well in. But Yoshino requires an active thinker, much like the Zao, but I prefer this to my Zao, since I feel like I can actually handle a few shells thrown my way even though her external armor scheme is identical to Zao's. Like, it's not hard to damage farm in this ship, but simple damage farming doesn't win games. That's something I'd like to rectify, I want to damage farm AND win games. I've no real complaints about her mobility nor about her firepower (Wonky AP but I've smacked a bow in North Carolina for 12k from 19km away so there's that), her dispersion's been fairly consistent for me so far, the HE is definitely lovely and the turret traverse is actually faster than Zao's. The reload is what you'd expect from a Large Cruiser, and the speed is pretty good. The 20km torps as well are great zoning weapons, I've been delighted every now and again when I get torpedo hit indicators after I launched the torpedoes a good 2 or 3 minutes prior.

Her income isn't bad, and like most T10s, you kinda need to break the 100k damage barrier or else you're not going to be happy with the credit income. Sniping from max range all the time also doesn't do well for your end game score, it's not a bad idea to push into caps later since this improves your end game results a fair amount. I haven't really had the opportunity to test her AA, but I was satisfied in the few games that I could actually test it, it's pretty decent for an IJN Capital Ship. Armor could be better, I'd not say no to 30mm plating on the bow and stern and 32mm plating amidships, I mean, this ship was supposed to have Yamato style armor with a really thick deck and everything, but as she is now, she's pretty good. With the IFHE nerf coming in, the Henri Meta in CW will probably subside giving this ship a niche she could probably fill. I dunno, the better players could give a better opinion on that.

v2kxPfE.jpg

NcHUYB5.jpg

b1Xj3JK.jpg

nVCgpbQ.jpg

Overall opinion from a pleb who's trying to be better, I love this ship and I wouldn't trade her out for anything. I hope there's at least a few satisfied Yoshino captains even though I know many were disappointed that we didn't get a Japanese Stalingrad.

~Hunter

• Cool 6

[SIDE]
Members
2,616 posts

OP

Solid impression you shared. I totally understand here you are coming from on the ships performance.  I’m on the fence. I already have Zao and don’t really want a clone premium. However, she has big health pool, great guns, long torps and I click well with IJN cruiser playstyle. I might get her or I might hold out a little longer to see what else is coming. I appreciate you stepping forward with your opinion.

Community

He spent a boat load of coal or a good chunk of hard cash in support of the game and has the courage to step on the floor to share his opinion. As happy as I was for his enjoyment of a new ship I was even more irritated and saddened by the fact this forum is entirely too elitist sometimes. Enough so that folks are actually self conscious in an anonymous environment. This guy Felt he had to do so sheepishly rather than proudly and spent half his post apologizing about stats. That’s freaking shameful and it’s *your* fault for creating, perpetuating, tolerating and even celebrating that kind of toxic c,rap. Ridiculous.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-ARP-]
3,844 posts
3,896 battles
8 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

OP

Solid impression you shared. I totally understand here you are coming from on the ships performance.  I’m on the fence. I already have Zao and don’t really want a clone premium. However, she has big health pool, great guns, long torps and I click well with IJN cruiser playstyle. I might get her or I might hold out a little longer to see what else is coming. I appreciate you stepping forward with your opinion.

Community

He spent a boat load of coal or a good chunk of hard cash in support of the game and has the courage to step on the floor to share his opinion. As happy as I was for his enjoyment of a new ship I was even more irritated and saddened by the fact this forum is entirely too elitist sometimes. Enough so that folks are actually self conscious in an anonymous environment. This guy Felt he had to do so sheepishly rather than proudly and spent half his post apologizing about stats. That’s freaking shameful and it’s *your* fault for creating, perpetuating, tolerating and even celebrating that kind of toxic c,rap. Ridiculous.

Well, technically I did it to show the community that I am willing to learn how to play the ship since I want to do better and know I can. Rather than be like some players who will vehemently defend their bad play giving others that have subpar win rates a bad name as terribads who refuse to learn. I put that out of the way so that posts can rather be constructive and helpful instead of being derogatory and demeaning. I welcome both criticism and helpful advice.

Honestly, I prefer this to my Zao because she's slightly tankier.

~Hunter

• Cool 1

Members
5,397 posts
3,213 battles
20 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

OP

Community

Frankly I would avoid. Mediocre ship with an extremely specific, low-impact play style. Her big HP pool, size, and guns look super cool on paper. But in reality her size in naught but a hindrance, and HP pool irrelevant because she's so massive and easy to hit, has a citadel the size of a CV, and is poorly protected. Her torps are pretty useless, you're rarely in range to use her 12km ones and you will deleted if you turn to use them, and the 20km are spotted incredibly easily and can be dodged by even a full broadside BB sailing into them. Overall I wouldn't call her garbage, because she cam HE spam ships pretty efficiently at long range and rack up damage, but she is definitely mediocre, very subpar in terms of getting wins, which is ultimately the goal of the game.

Just stick with Zao, an infinitely more versatile ship capable of capping and slaughtering people in CQC, while Yoshino is relegated to "border humping" and praying she doesn't eat 30k BB salvos as she does little more than fling HE as she kites.

Edited by goldeagle1123

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles
13 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

This guy Felt he had to do so sheepishly rather than proudly and spent half his post apologizing about stats. That’s freaking shameful and it’s *your* fault for creating, perpetuating, tolerating and even celebrating that kind of toxic c,rap.

No, that's not the way I saw it. IMO he went out of his way to disclose that he's no unicum and that his results are not - in his opinion - a reflection on any intrinsic shortcomings of the ship.

Frankly, as someone who hovers around 50% myself, I'd rather read a review like this than watch Flamu bring home a million silver and 20K+ ship XP all day every day because he's a super-unicum with more special flags and camos than he knows what to do with.

• Cool 3

[SIDE]
Members
2,616 posts
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, that's not the way I saw it. IMO he went out of his way to disclose that he's no unicum and that his results are not - in his opinion - a reflection on any intrinsic shortcomings of the ship.

Frankly, as someone who hovers around 50% myself, I'd rather read a review like this than watch Flamu bring home a million silver and 20K+ ship XP all day every day because he's a super-unicum with more special flags and camos than he knows what to do with.

I guess it could read that way too. It’s a much more mature way to see it. I want to hope most will see it that way but my gut says more than a few are chomping at the bit for the door to open and  “git gud” and “I’m surprised someone with you stats can even type” shenanigans to start. 

Totally agree on average joe testimonials being a worthy addition to buyers research. Often has a different perspective from the more polished CC review.

As for me, I am inclined to hold on coal purchases for the time being. Yoshino looks like a decent boat but I already have a Zao and I’m curious about what WG has around the corner.

Edited by thebigblue

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles
2 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

As for me, I am inclined to hold on coal purchases for the time being.

So am I. Yoshino once held interest for me but now does not, especially after what I did to one with my Salem in co-op. No offence to the OP,  and I know what the Yoshino is best at, but it showed up just how brittle that ship's glass jaw is if you're the sort of player who likes to push or finds themselves obliged to.

In addition: Georgia is available for coal now, but Smolensk shows promise and has been announced for coal; Siegfried is undisclosed (maybe FXP given the history of supercruisers being FXP ships, but maybe not), and Hayate and Thunderer remain cloaked in mystery. It's a good time to sit on one's coal stocks and consider the future carefully.

Beta Testers
185 posts
6,662 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So am I. Yoshino once held interest for me but now does not, especially after what I did to one with my Salem in co-op. No offence to the OP,  and I know what the Yoshino is best at, but it showed up just how brittle that ship's glass jaw is if you're the sort of player who likes to push or finds themselves obliged to.

In addition: Georgia is available for coal now, but Smolensk shows promise and has been announced for coal; Siegfried is undisclosed (maybe FXP given the history of supercruisers being FXP ships, but maybe not), and Hayate and Thunderer remain cloaked in mystery. It's a good time to sit on one's coal stocks and consider the future carefully.

Yeah, I have Yosh and Zao. Would pass on it for now with the upcoming stuff. It isn't bad but just kind of bleh if you already have a Zao.  

[WOLF3]
Members
22,408 posts
20,527 battles

Just from fooling around with this thing in Co-op, the gunnery on the B-65s are really nice.  Yoshino IMO doesn't demand ASM1 usage like Kronshtadt and Alaska do.  Below is an Artillery Chart for Yoshino's 310mm guns compared with Zao 203mm.

zKWNKKI.jpg

Yoshino is a niche "Cruiser" but a lot of people are more familiar with how Zao's shells behave in flight.  Even compared to all other IJN Crusiers, Zao's shell behavior is quite different.  Compared to Yoshino, Zao shoots faster, is more accurate, but as you can see, in terms of AP power, shell flight hang time and angle of impact, Yoshino's is very competitive even to the characteristics that people like in Zao.

Yoshino's shells arc less than Zao's past 8km.

Yoshino's shells take less time to get to the target once you're past 10km.

This is pretty important for the B-65s because you're going to rely on your HE quite a lot.  Your AP doesn't have the Super Pen of Kronsthtadt's, nor do you have the special USN CA Armor Piercing Bounce Angles that Alaska gets.  So with the B-65s relying so much on their HE, it's a good thing their guns and shell flight characteristics are sound.

• Cool 1

[-ARP-]
3,844 posts
3,896 battles
43 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Just from fooling around with this thing in Co-op, the gunnery on the B-65s are really nice.  Yoshino IMO doesn't demand ASM1 usage like Kronshtadt and Alaska do.  Below is an Artillery Chart for Yoshino's 310mm guns compared with Zao 203mm.

zKWNKKI.jpg

Yoshino is a niche "Cruiser" but a lot of people are more familiar with how Zao's shells behave in flight.  Even compared to all other IJN Crusiers, Zao's shell behavior is quite different.  Compared to Yoshino, Zao shoots faster, is more accurate, but as you can see, in terms of AP power, shell flight hang time and angle of impact, Yoshino's is very competitive even to the characteristics that people like in Zao.

This is pretty important for the B-65s because you're going to rely on your HE quite a lot.  Your AP doesn't have the Super Pen of Kronsthtadt's, nor do you have the special USN CA Armor Piercing Bounce Angles that Alaska gets.  So with the B-65s relying so much on their HE, it's a good thing their guns and shell flight characteristics are sound.

As I did say in my OP, I felt more comfortable in this than the Zao. Probably because between reloads I can angle quite well in fact. It reminds me somewhat of how Kongou plays in T7, similar concept. I guess that's why I feel so at home in this ship, because she plays very similarly to how I played my Kongou :Smile_teethhappy:

~Hunter

[EGO]
Members
3,714 posts

I've had Yoshinos take pretty big chucks out of my bow in Stalingrad. I thought they had forgotten to change ammo when the shells were in the air. The AP is much better than it's reputation.

I'm not interested in the Yoshino but not because I don't think it's a good ship. I think it is very formidable, but I don't care for the play style.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,408 posts
20,527 battles
1 hour ago, Hunter_Steel said:

As I did say in my OP, I felt more comfortable in this than the Zao. Probably because between reloads I can angle quite well in fact. It reminds me somewhat of how Kongou plays in T7, similar concept. I guess that's why I feel so at home in this ship, because she plays very similarly to how I played my Kongou :Smile_teethhappy:

~Hunter

Not to mention IJN Cruisers with their very exposed citadels already play with the mentality of "I can't afford to get hit" than some weird notion of "I can tank this!" :Smile_trollface:

People look at the big citadels of Yoshino, Azuma... They haven't played much of the IJN Cruiser Line.  Mogami!  Where someone merely looks at your a** and you implode!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-ARP-]
3,844 posts
3,896 battles
14 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Not to mention IJN Cruisers with their very exposed citadels already play with the mentality of "I can't afford to get hit" than some weird notion of "I can tank this!" :Smile_trollface:

People look at the big citadels of Yoshino, Azuma... They haven't played much of the IJN Cruiser Line.  Mogami!  Where someone merely looks at your a** and you implode!

Ara ara my [edited]is blasted :Smile_trollface:

~Hunter

Beta Testers
509 posts
14,356 battles

I love the Yoshino and find it borderline OP.

The HE hits hard and accurate at 20km and the shells are filled with napalm.

The 20km torps are great for distracting BBs and slowing pushes on weak flanks.  

Good use of WASD at you can bait shots at your broadside, and laugh as they miss.  I average 1m+ potential damage per game.

The AA shreds VIII planes and you can defend yourself against X planes.

If you haven't ground out the IJN CA line, then this ship is not for you.  It is a max range HE spammer.  You are a support ship and need someone to spot for you.  If you have poor situational awareness and show too much broadside to a BB or CA, you will pay for it.

Yoshino.thumb.jpg.bf5a71a99adc773417f581b984b16094.jpg 

[JMMAF]
Members
391 posts
6,695 battles
4 hours ago, thebigblue said:

OP

Community

I have both and find them to be entirely different ships.  Zao is 2km stealthier which is a MASSIVE difference.  Yoshino better stay about 18km away from enemies or else you are dead. Zao can get close and fight from mid range.  Yoshino cannot. Totally different play style IMHO.

[SIDE]
Members
2,616 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Great stuff once again Haze. Thanks!

Members
385 posts
6,326 battles

Some good feedback here guys thanks. You have saved me wasting some precious coal. I was seriously considering the Yoshino but I already have the Zao and I like the fact that late game I can move in with her to help mop up. Long distance kiting is all well and good but the Zao can do that too.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,087 posts
9,812 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Mogami!  Where someone merely looks at your a** and you implode!

If you think that's bad, wait till you see what a driveby broadside from a Fiji can do to a Myoko in co-op. 23,000 HP shaved off in a single volley. Of course you have to be careful of the torpedoes, but that's what makes jousting with bots so much fun! :Smile_izmena:

Sign in to follow this