You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Interesting little trap with Hill's torpedoes; input desired.

16 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
15,142 posts
9,895 battles

So last night I finished the grind and got the Hill, and of course I had to take her out for a test spin in co-op (as I always do). Now I have previously owned the Mahan (which I have since sold), which has the same layout of tubes (albeit more of them in each launcher) so I thought I knew what I was doing, but it looks like I might have been wrong.

I YOLO-charged a battleship with all tubes loaded. I fired one launcher, and then felt because of circumstances pertaining that it was more appropriate to switch sides than to fire the second immediately. Lo and behold, when I did so, I only had one launcher available and it got me killed without being able to sink the BB in return.

It appears as though the centre launcher - the one that can fire to either side - discharges first, then the unilateral one on that side, whereas I would have thought it made more sense for the side-limited launcher to fire first.

Can anyone who has both the Mahan and the Hill clarify what's going on here? I think the Le Terrible has the same tube distribution, and in that case Le Terrible owners' inputs are also welcome.

It's just something to bear in mind if you just got the Hill and have never owned or used either the Mahan or the Le Terrible before; the order of tube firing can have implications for the way you fire while manoeuvring.

[NSC]
Members
1,745 posts
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So last night I finished the grind and got the Hill, and of course I had to take her out for a test spin in co-op (as I always do). Now I have previously owned the Mahan (which I have since sold), which has the same layout of tubes (albeit more of them in each launcher) so I thought I knew what I was doing, but it looks like I might have been wrong.

I YOLO-charged a battleship with all tubes loaded. I fired one launcher, and then felt because of circumstances pertaining that it was more appropriate to switch sides than to fire the second immediately. Lo and behold, when I did so, I only had one launcher available and it got me killed without being able to sink the BB in return.

It appears as though the centre launcher - the one that can fire to either side - discharges first, then the unilateral one on that side, whereas I would have thought it made more sense for the side-limited launcher to fire first.

Can anyone who has both the Mahan and the Hill clarify what's going on here? I think the Le Terrible has the same tube distribution, and in that case Le Terrible owners' inputs are also welcome.

It's just something to bear in mind if you just got the Hill and have never owned or used either the Mahan or the Le Terrible before; the order of tube firing can have implications for the way you fire while manoeuvring.

I think this has always been the case when the center launcher has the greatest forward angle of fire.

That said, there is a workaround. Aim your cursor at the back of your ship. Then, point it forward without exiting the angle of fire of the second torpedo tube. Then, you will launch with Tube 2 aka side launcher.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
3,949 posts
17,903 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That is the same mechanic as the Mahan and why I hate that DD so much. The center torp should fire second to either the port or starboard launcher.

@Kami can you get this bit of bad behavior from Hill and Mahan into the backlog? Have the center launcher fire after the port or starboard launcher.

[O_O]
Members
3,949 posts
17,903 battles
3 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

I think this has always been the case when the center launcher has the greatest forward angle of fire.

That said, there is a workaround. Aim your cursor at the back of your ship. Then, point it forward without exiting the angle of fire of the second torpedo tube. Then, you will launch with Tube 2 aka side launcher.

I never looked at it that way - firing angles dictate which fires first. That should be correct if only the center launcher has the angle. If both have the angle then the side launcher should fire first. The workaround is nice but a fix would be better.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,142 posts
9,895 battles
4 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

That said, there is a workaround.

I wouldn't like to rely on pulling that off in a knife-fight/YOLO situation. Usually it's irrelevant because you want to fire two launchers at the most immediate threat. But just occasionally...

[NSC]
Members
1,745 posts
Just now, Khafni said:

I never looked at it that way - firing angles dictate which fires first. That should be correct if only the center launcher has the angle. If both have the angle then the side launcher should fire first. The workaround is nice but a fix would be better.

I agree that your fix is a good idea. I was talking about how it is currently implemented.

[NSC]
Members
1,745 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I wouldn't like to rely on pulling that off in a knife-fight/YOLO situation. Usually it's irrelevant because you want to fire two launchers at the most immediate threat. But just occasionally...

Yes, I agree. Permanent fix is better than workaround. Workaround is better than nothing though.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,814 posts
9,677 battles
18 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

This. It's the only way to get around that odd tube setup. Udaloi has it, as well.

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Members
777 posts
6,575 battles

I thought you could push a key to change your perspective from turret to turret. The "C" key I believe?

Will that not select a different turret -- in this case, rack of torpedoes -- to fire with a single click of the mouse?

I've never really done it, but I thought that is how it worked?

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,777 posts
12,700 battles
10 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

I thought you could push a key to change your perspective from turret to turret. The "C" key I believe?

Will that not select a different turret -- in this case, rack of torpedoes -- to fire with a single click of the mouse?

I've never really done it, but I thought that is how it worked?

Yes, C switches between gun turrets and torp launchers. 

• Cool 4

[_RNG_]
Members
777 posts
6,575 battles
32 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Yes, C switches between gun turrets and torp launchers. 

So would "C" solve the problem that we're talking about in this thread? Can you use C to choose which rack of torpedoes to fire? Instead of doing the move-you-mouse-to-the-edge-and-back workaround?

Edited by Jester_of_War

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,793 posts
13,813 battles
8 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Can you use C to choose which rack of torpedoes to fire?

Yes.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,602 posts
10,096 battles
2 hours ago, Not_Taking_my_Cents said:

This. It's the only way to get around that odd tube setup. Udaloi has it, as well.

Yeah, I played my Udaloi again after months not playing it, and found myself trying to figure out when each rack had priority.

[_RNG_]
Members
777 posts
6,575 battles
On 7/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, Jester_of_War said:

Can you use C to choose which rack of torpedoes to fire?

On 7/18/2019 at 1:39 PM, HyenaHiena said:

Yes.

Are you sure?

I now have the Hill myself so I went out to try this and I can't get it to work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Pressing C does not cycle from torpedo rack to torpedo rack. In regular view and zoomed in, pressing C doesn't do anything.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,793 posts
13,813 battles
On 7/25/2019 at 1:19 AM, Jester_of_War said:

Are you sure?

I now have the Hill myself so I went out to try this and I can't get it to work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Pressing C does not cycle from torpedo rack to torpedo rack. In regular view and zoomed in, pressing C doesn't do anything.

Hill torps are close maybe you just not notice that.

Also, its not change to tops from another side of ship (i mean, change from left to right torps), for that you need move your camera.