You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Martymart1976

Why is everything so Grindy and why so many tokens?

27 comments in this topic

[-FK-]
Members
96 posts
5,130 battles

The grinds are getting old.  One grind in a while, okay, I get it... But its been a string of grind after grind for the recent past that I can remember.  We haven't even finished the Savage battles grind and we are already getting ready for the French destroyer grind...can we have a break from the grind and just enjoy what we have?  And also tokens...tokens for this and tokens for that...I have three different tokens going now...are we going to have a master token token to convert unused tokens to the current token of the month?  I don't play this game for the shiny trinkets and bells and whistles...just put your goods on display and let people get them as they see fit based on their own merits.  Off the soapbox...

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
3,499 posts
11,965 battles

WG doesn't understand that people don't need grinds to keep playing, they just need WG to stop ruining the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Cool 5

Members
231 posts
79 battles
1 hour ago, Martymart1976 said:

The grinds are getting old.  One grind in a while, okay, I get it... But its been a string of grind after grind for the recent past that I can remember.  We haven't even finished the Savage battles grind and we are already getting ready for the French destroyer grind...can we have a break from the grind and just enjoy what we have?  And also tokens...tokens for this and tokens for that...I have three different tokens going now...are we going to have a master token token to convert unused tokens to the current token of the month?  I don't play this game for the shiny trinkets and bells and whistles...just put your goods on display and let people get them as they see fit based on their own merits.  Off the soapbox...

You complain about something, then suggest they do exactly what they are doing?  LoL that's hilarious.

And the less skilled a player is, the more it feels like a grind.  Think about that.  You have players that finished the content in a matter of a couple days (or in the case of time-released directives, the day they went active) when other players take a full month or don't even finish them.  The content must be provided to keep the skilled and frequent players from getting bored and leaving.  The less skilled or casual players that don't play often need to gain another skill:  setting realistic goals and properly managing expectations.

And anyone who downvotes this as angry just proves my point.  If a person gets emotionally angry over logic, they have serious problems and are going to complain and whine about things other people don't have difficulty with.

Edited by A_Burning_Sensation
  • Angry 3

[RSWF]
Members
62 posts
3,921 battles

WG doesn't want their players to have a life.  Live to play.  Live to grind. 

[CNO]
Members
5,175 posts
16,274 battles

I don't grind anymore.  I just play.  

Well, I still advance to new ships...but I do this as part of my normal fun play.  I have almost 100 ships in port....with a few favorites that I play regularly and a few "old fellows" that I play now and then.  At my current grind rate, the current assortment of ships will have me playing for...well...decades to come.

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,664 posts

Because goals cause players to keep playing.

I understand that this is just my opinion, but I like the grinds.  It gives direction and a reason.  A goal to attain.

[-TNG-]
Members
183 posts

The grinds are getting old.  One grind in a while, okay, I get it...

WG has a shortcut for the players who dont have the time.. just buy the rewards.

Members
225 posts
15,821 battles

My guess is that after all the noise about nerfing premium ships they wanted to make it harder to get the free premium ships because they will not have/want the ability to nerf in the future.  Then if the nooblet captains do the pay to play and buy the tokens WG still comes out a winner.  Im sure they sit around the foosball table talking about this stuff.

Tuna

[WOLF1]
Members
2,847 posts

because there are less and less cows, so WG has to milk harder and harder... it's vicious circle to the end unless WG change their old way of thinking...

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,947 posts
13,851 battles

Well the French grind is really easy. There is no rare top tier ship that you "have to" grind for. Play normally and just complete the Directives get some goodies for just playing the game. The Savage grind was very grindy, unique high tier reward, a marathon portion that was needed if you were going to avoid spending any money.

For Me the French grind is a break.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
888 posts
14,840 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

Well the French grind is really easy. There is no rare top tier ship that you "have to" grind for. Play normally and just complete the Directives get some goodies for just playing the game. The Savage grind was very grindy, unique high tier reward, a marathon portion that was needed if you were going to avoid spending any money.

For Me the French grind is a break.

Exactly frennch grind is jsutnormal T9 month earlier.

Savage was 21days both daily mission without braik to got Benhan for free.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
2,059 posts
4,196 battles

I only go with the grinds that interest me for ships i want. I skipped this grind for benham completely because i'm not really a fan of destroyer game play myself and it keeps me "fresh" for the grinds i did want to do like the indy grind.

Otherwise i just play like normal. The way i look at events like this where i don't want any of it is that i can pick up free premium time and work towards ships i do want. I don't blame WG for throwing these events because they need to make a profit to keep the lights on. 

Just choose the ones you want to do and don't worry about the rest.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,947 posts
13,851 battles
Just now, Gandariel said:

Exactly frennch grind is jsutnormal T9 month earlier.

Savage was 21days both daily mission without braik to got Benhan for free.

Yeah, I hope all of the early release events are done like this French one is. Heck they are even throwing in some free doubloons in this event. 

This even is good news for folks that are tired of grinding.

Members
1,061 posts
1,286 battles

We haven't even finished the Savage battles grind and we are already getting ready for the French destroyer grind...

You don't need to do the savage battle grinds. There are enough directives that you can do in random battles to complete the requirements. 

[WOLFG]
Members
6,970 posts
4,994 battles
56 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

The content must be provided to keep the skilled and frequent players from getting bored and leaving. 

I'm not even certain that skilled is considered from WG's part.  There are people that practically live this game.  The content train has to keep rolling.

[-AGW-]
Members
914 posts
12,292 battles
37 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Because goals cause players to keep playing.

I understand that this is just my opinion, but I like the grinds.  It gives direction and a reason.  A goal to attain.

Sure. My goal is to play a handful of games a day and finish with a 50% win rate or better.

If I happen to win some stuff in the process all the better.

Members
2,259 posts
13,327 battles

The grinds are meant to get players to use up their FXP, flags and camos so that they will buy more premium everything. Not sure if those who have been playing since day one remember that mission grinds used to be much easier to complete. Now you literally have to play 5-6 hours a day, every day just to win a tier 5 premium you'll likely rarely play. 

Problem for WG is that players like myself (player base) are just giving up and not bothering with these missions and therefore having the opposite effect. I don't about others but I play far less now days with all the crazy gimmicks and CV crap. Used to play with goals but now I just play to burn a little time and then log off.

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 3

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles

A) they want to get their hooks into you by making you feel like you are achieving something by making it to the mountain top.  If you commit to something it will be harder to let it go and quit playing.  Player retention

B)  they hope people will give up and just $pend their way to the end of the grind

C) by people accepting these grinds with no issues the player base has conditioned WG to think it is acceptable...so they keep doing it and making the value per grind smaller and smaller and the player base still just eats it up.

Members
2,259 posts
13,327 battles
2 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

A) they want to get their hooks into you by making you feel like you are achieving something by making it to the mountain top.  If you commit to something it will be harder to let it go and quit playing.  Player retention

B)  they hope people will give up and just $pend their way to the end of the grind

C) by people accepting these grinds with no issues the player base has conditioned WG to think it is acceptable...so they keep doing it and making the value per grind smaller and smaller and the player base still just eats it up.

Yup. When I took a look at the mission directives: Earn 80,000 FXP (20k for each type ship) to complete stage 3 I thought to myself " wow, this is insane amount of work for a T5 premium DD". Perhaps for a T8 premium maybe.  

[A-D-F]
5,664 posts
6 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

To be honest the grinds in this game to obtain the reward, are small and easy compared to many other online games.

WoW for example use to require 40 people to work together very well for and entire evening just for a 1% chance of the loot you want to drop, then 6 other people of those 40, also wanted that thing if it did happen to drop.  Didn't get it?  Spend the next three days doing smaller grinds to get the things you need so you can try again next week.

Not saying that is a good thing, and that is an extreme example but, these "grinds" aren't really that bad. 

Its all relative I suppose though because I enjoy long grinds.

[ARGSY]
6,562 posts
23,555 battles

What players in the forum don't see: there is a silent majority.

And that's were WG gets their numbers from. 

It seems, that a good number of players either buy some container to fill missing tokens or whale their way through these events.

Or just spend more time in the game to grind them out.

Don't care how much players complain here, sale numbers are what dictate further events. 

• Cool 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
1 hour ago, Hali_greg said:

WG doesn't want their players to have a life.  Live to play.  Live to grind. 

Exactly. And for those who cannot grind, they conveniently let you purchase you're way out of the grind. 

I'm sure that's coincidental though...

[A-D-F]
5,664 posts
9 minutes ago, 10T0nHammer said:

Exactly. And for those who cannot grind, they conveniently let you purchase you're way out of the grind. 

I'm sure that's coincidental though...

Oh no, they do that very much on purpose.

There are always two ways to get things in "FTP" games.  Play or pay.

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles
22 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

To be honest the grinds in this game to obtain the reward, are small and easy compared to many other online games.

I dont play a lot of other online games but I'll certainly not doubt what you're saying is correct.  It is all relative and for those of us that have been around a long time the grinds are definitely getting "grindier".  Remember the bismarck grind a couple years ago?  The time investment was nothing compared to grinds like this current one for Benham or even the one for PEF last year.  They may not be bad compared to other games but compared just within th history or WoWS they are getting much much longer and more complex.

[SFROG]
Beta Testers
118 posts
6,179 battles

Yup, it worked against them in my case.  I'd like the Benham, but I work a job that has me out of the house 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I'm not willing to just sunup-sundown Warships over the weekends,.  So I can't play the grind (nor would I care to honestly, even if I were a laze around the house 24/7 person).  Nor am I going to spend $250 or something like buying boxes of bovine scat for tokens just to get a prem dd.  Put it in the shop for $60 or whatever, and I'd probably buy it.  But I doubt they will (at least not until after the "free" period for those who earned her) to avoid all the grinders/boxers from lighting their torches and readying the pitchforks.  Oh well, lost opportunity for them, and less money out of my budget.

• Cool 1