You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GrayPanther2018

French DD Captain skill

8 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
761 posts
3,886 battles

I have an Aigle with Charles-Henri Honore as Captain (will probably use him in the Fr DD line).

His training so far is.

1  Priority Target

2 Expert Marksman (a preimium for this captain he has a bonus for this) Adrenaline Rush (also a preimiun skill) and Last Stand

3 Basic Firing Training

My question is for the first 4 point skill?

Radio Location,   is what I am thinking about first as you know which direction the closest ship is from you. Even with Concealment Expert the other DDs will out spot me.

Concealment Expert,  is usually recomended but I wonder if it is that helpful with this line? The stealth torp window is 500 m 7.5 km concealment 8 km range torps. But Aigle is different from the tech tree line as she has smoke so what may be OK for Aigle not so much for the other Fr DDs.

IFHE,  With the French 139mm guns it seems like it would be more useful than CE as a second  4 point skill but with the possible nerf comming to IFHE doing something else may be better. (I honestly have not researched the advantages of IFHE)

I have enough XP for a 4 point skill, so I can get one now and decide on the other later.  I Also have an IJN DD captain (12 point) I am working on but he is a WIPand OK where his is.

Thanks for the imput!:Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
15,219 posts
9,994 battles

You may want to consider Advanced Firing Training. If you're going to be spotted anyway, may as well have the longest possible gun range and shoot at a distance which makes it difficult for others to hit you.

If I were you, I would wait until the first PTS patch after the full release and then play around on the public test server to be sure about it.

[AXANR]
Members
3,471 posts
19,653 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You may want to consider Advanced Firing Training. If you're going to be spotted anyway, may as well have the longest possible gun range and shoot at a distance which makes it difficult for others to hit you.

If I were you, I would wait until the first PTS patch after the full release and then play around on the public test server to be sure about it.

The usefulness of AFT will depend on ballistics. If tech tree French DDs have shell arcs like Aigle, AFT will be a waste as it will be very difficult to hit maneuvering targets at long range.

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

The two prominent builds seem to be basically a khaba, or an ambush build that lets you flank cruisers and pump shells into broadsides.

The stealth nerf really made it hard to stealth torp in the kleber, making the ambushes less viable.

In my le terrible, it was fairly clear that while the ballistics (which are identical to the kleber's) were good, aft seemed to push it into a range where the ap impact angle neither plunged through the deck or penetrated the side reliably (moreso because the side took up a smaller slice of the perpendicular cross section than any lack of pen).

I expect it to be a tough choice between IFHE (to bully cruisers), AFT (more range), and Concealment (more ambushes, harder to plane spot), where any build with two of those three will be viable. Perhaps leaning more towards an ifhe/aft choice.

So for skills:

I. You'll want your favorite one point skill (EM or PT) 

II. Two point skills of course include adrenaline rush and last stand as well as perhaps expert marksman (to taste).

III. Thee point skills are SE as well as well as potentially BFT, Superintendent, and demolition expert to taste. 

IV. As for four piton skills, some combination of IFHE, AFT, and Concealment will work as mentioned before.

Sum to 19.

For modules, basically go for a standard destroyer or henri setup: [1] Main Armaments 1 / Magazine Mod, [2] Engine boost mod (it's 100% worth the coal), [3] Aiming Systems mod (or AA - though carriers will probably laugh at you still), [4] Propulsion Mod (for better speed juking), [5] Concealment Systems (because you're not a khaba and your rudder works fine), and [6] Main Battery Reload (to shoot more things).

[5BS]
Members
8,554 posts

Assuming Le Terrible is a fair comparison:

PM, EM/LS, SI/DE, IFHE/AFT

PM, not just because PT is a stupid crutch that tells you nothing that is actually valuable that you shouldn't be assuming at all times ANYWAY, but also because speed is armour on these, and the ability to dodge and never stop moving is vital and if PM stops that from happening even once a match, it's worth it.

EM because at least on Le Terrible, the guns reaction is a bit slacking, and you find yourself changing facing often thus having guns that can twist a little faster helps a great deal.

LS for the same reasons of PM but even moreso than normal for DD's as you have *no* ability to break contact if crippled and you do not have the stealth to ensure going silent will work.

SI as your Reload Booster and Engine boost are top priority and an extra charge is vital

DE since your guns are talking and Fires are your words

IFHE may change, IDK, as a priority, but at the MOMENT it is as you are a fantastic cruiser harasser and you don't want 27mm to stand in your way

AFT depends mostly on if you can aim or not; if you can aim, being able to fire that much further means the enemy waste crap-tons of shells trying to deal with you; those shells NOT being fired at your cowardly teammates.

[PENND]
Members
346 posts
6,222 battles

I would take AFT. In the case of all French DDs (save Agile) distance is your friend since you don't have a smoke. The close you are the less time to maneuver you have from incoming enemy shots. Yes the ballistics are kind of crappy but if you're familiar with US/UK cruiser ballistics then you can manage the French DDs ballistics. RDF would be my 2nd choice for a 4 point skill and Concealment as 3rd. I wouldn't take IFHE until we know the final state it will be in once WG is done ruining it.

[BBMOD]
Members
226 posts
4,477 battles

CE is helpful on Le Terrible since it gives you a 1.4km stealth torp window. Not sure it will be as useful on the other ships yet. we will have to see final torp ranges and base concealment values.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
5 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I have an Aigle with Charles-Henri Honore as Captain (will probably use him in the Fr DD line).

His training so far is.

1  Priority Target

2 Expert Marksman (a preimium for this captain he has a bonus for this) Adrenaline Rush (also a preimiun skill) and Last Stand

3 Basic Firing Training

My question is for the first 4 point skill?

Radio Location,   is what I am thinking about first as you know which direction the closest ship is from you. Even with Concealment Expert the other DDs will out spot me.

Concealment Expert,  is usually recomended but I wonder if it is that helpful with this line? The stealth torp window is 500 m 7.5 km concealment 8 km range torps. But Aigle is different from the tech tree line as she has smoke so what may be OK for Aigle not so much for the other Fr DDs.

IFHE,  With the French 139mm guns it seems like it would be more useful than CE as a second  4 point skill but with the possible nerf comming to IFHE doing something else may be better. (I honestly have not researched the advantages of IFHE)

I have enough XP for a 4 point skill, so I can get one now and decide on the other later.  I Also have an IJN DD captain (12 point) I am working on but he is a WIPand OK where his is.

Thanks for the imput!:Smile_honoring:

1) First line: Get rid of priority target. You don't need to know how many people are aiming at you. You're a DD. EVERYBODY is aiming at you. Put the point into Preventative maintenance and don't waste it on obvious info. It's more important to make sure your engines don't get knocked out.

2) Second Line: Correct, Expert Marskman and Last stand first. Maybe Adrenaline Rush later on.

3) Third Line: Correct, BFT first and Survivability Expert and/or Demolition expert later.

4) Fourth Line: You get AFT first, not radio location or concealment expert. Maybe RPF or IFHE for your very last 4 point skill. Depends on what prior skills you want.

French DD's are near Identical to the Russian DD's in play-style. You set them up to kite and snipe ships from long range. Don't bother with stealth fits. If the guns aren't glowing red from firing non-stop and you're not spotted 100% of the time you're doing it wrong.  Invest in Demolition expert. Forget you have torpedoes, although it's possible to get the odd long range kill with them. You can out-gun and dodge almost anything with French speed. Even cruiser fire. Use it to your advantage. Do not cap. Stay in open water and push in-front of BB's. Be prepared for crap AA and CV's prioritizing you if you push too hard. Double rudder fit the ship if possible. Radar is barely a concern...

You can literally bully an entire flank, like the Khaba does with your long range HE. If something goes broadside, use the very good AP to punish them. The AP is amazing at long range, and yes, you can annihilate brazen cruisers! Don't think of French DD's as DD's. Think of them as small cruisers. They're very big destroyers.

The Aigle is slower than Le Terrible and the kiting may not work as well, but this is a captain build you use for the entire line up to T10. As you can see I still have some additional points to earn on this captain, but I'm going for survivability and long range sniping above all else. Demolition Expert and RPF last.

Any Khaba player will instantly know how to French DD.

terri 1.png

Edited by ElectroVeeDub