You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
hammer_1

Teir X CV play

105 comments in this topic

[WOLFA]
Members
46 posts
2,877 battles

How many of you play tier X CVs since the update?

I play tier 8 and below because the AA is unrealistically high at tier X and my tier 8 planes lose a squadron to attack with 3 planes.

I am constantly getting up tiered to X with predictable results and un-satisfying game play. The planes do not survive a second attack on one or two ships grouped and no pilot would have survived WW2 with those losses!

In reality planes made multiple passes on the Mushashi even without having any ammo left to attack during the Battle of the Phillipines during the close of WW2. ('Last stand of the Tin Can Sailors')

In reality the CV had obsoleted the BB by the middle of the Pacific war and should be able to do more damage than any late war BB per battle.

Airplanes and submarines sank the tonnage, it's not what you want to hear and I do want ships to be the main focus of WOW, but the tier X AA needs serious nerffing.

Or are there equal numbers of tier X CV players still, even though I never see them at tier 8, and I am often drafted into tier 10?

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 12

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,300 posts
11,628 battles

I try and stay away from tier X games myself, just less fun in general.

I think that tier X CV's are soft capped at one CV per match, so if you're in a tier 8 CV, you'll almost never share a match with them.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,435 posts
4,324 battles

I avoid T10 CVs for sure.    I still play T8 (sometimes, and less and less these days), but there is zero incentive to play T10 CV, you're likely to barely break even or lose credits on it, the AA is beyond brutal, and everyone is out to get you, plus there are always new T9+ Ships being introduced with crazy powerful AA so they can boost sales.    There is just no reason to bother with a T10 CV at all.   

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,786 posts
13,811 battles

I play one last night in my midway... get the "noob_cv" in other side... was reaaaaalllyyy fun.... (not).

The enemy team put 3 bbs togheter, my planes melt before do anything, fun.

We lose.

Now tell me, why play with this s**t useless cv again?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 3

[-BMV-]
Members
430 posts
16,899 battles
1 hour ago, hammer_1 said:

Yesterday i played 1 game with Audacious. Currently grinding the rocket, torp planes and one of Halsey's campaign last directives that require 75 bombs or torp hits.... It wasn't really fun.

We were lucky and won against a good CV player in part because as the last ship, i ran like hell. But, yeah it wasn't fun. The AA was too damn brutal, although i managed to kill 4 ships i lost a ton of Aircrafts. Playing at T10 seemed and felt like a very hard job instead of good fun.

Most of the ships sailed in pairs. My planes, even the bomb ones which are my only upgraded ones, were shoot down in a factor of one per 2 or 3 seconds. The only reason i wasn't deplaned was because i always attack with a partial squadron.

As a side note, in this battle there was a Friedsland. That thing AA with DFAA is too damn broken. I lost 19 planes (rocket and bomb ones) on the three runs i tried against him. It killed my squadrons in less than 6 seconds. It seemed like there was a force field around it, couldn't even get close There was no delay, no way to dodge, no way to counter. My planes simply died. I was lucky enough to blind shot him on smoke but, hell, if Friedsland goes to the live server with this AA im quitting high tier CVs. Her AA was more brutal than Des Memes or Worcester and in par with Minotaur.

Edited by Sidelock
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 3

[-TXT-]
Members
308 posts
5,243 battles
1 hour ago, hammer_1 said:

Are there equal numbers of tier X CV players still, even though I never see them at tier 8, and I am often drafted into tier 10?

You won't see a Tier X carrier if you're playing a T8 CV.  While the game does run two CVs per team sometimes, Tier X CV is currently a 1 CV per side max.  Though, I vaguely recall being in a 2 Tier X per side match, but I'm sure that was a matchmaker hiccup instead of intended.

As for playing Tier X, I absolutely do.  There are some ships which are no fly zones (Minotaur, Des Moins, Salem, Wooster), and others are exceptionally strong even alone (Henri/Yoshino), but you can almost always find a way to be impactful even if it means holding fire for a minute or two.

As far as plane loss goes, you have to accept that as a reality.  Most runs will be a single attack because turning your planes while in AA is so punishing.  Before you charge into the AA to strike something, decide if you can even attempt to make a turn for a second pass... and if you can't, then you need to spam the F key as soon as you fire to get your people out.

If you decide to strike something, and you already know 9 to 12 planes will die so you can do 15k damage... try to find somewhere else to apply pressure instead.  If there's nothing else you can strike, then realize the enemy team is playing well in forcing you into a bad position.

No BB wants to shell bow-on ships all day, and they do what they can to give themselves better shots.  If they can't make a better shot, they take what they can get.

Members
850 posts
10,431 battles

zero i havent even bothered playing cv with this update , i took the enterprise out twice and that its amd i didnt like the results

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,995 posts
9,654 battles

After the AA results from training room in Haku and Midway and Ryujo and Impalacable, most AA is strong even without buffs. Simply, cont. damage has been made too effective. Aircraft Armor and AR captain skills are almost pointless on CV builds now.

I mean, why bother if one mistake or surprise AA can cripple 1/3 or 1/2 your firepower easily for rest of match?

WG's only solution was to "buff" the SE skill for planes. Not good enough. I can understand AA being made that nasty if the CV, in turn, has the entire plane squadron doing one massive attack, but not this. Multiple attack runs design is useless if the planes do not survive that long.

And as ever, WG doesn't want to undo foolish mistakes like this canceling their own rework. So I'm just sitting here laughing at their incompetence. If they wanted to make CV more popular, the 0.8.0 CV rework accomplished that w/ making it easy to learn--all that remained was improve AA so a full AA build is noticeably better at dropping planes, and maybe a few tweaks like removing the insta-recall on F key. But nope, they kept nerf hammering the CV class instead of reworking AA to be effective.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[O-PN]
Members
2,094 posts
4,395 battles

Have to wait until the french DD (no smoke) line makes its money before CVs are returned to where they belong.  Naturally it'd default to a PvP interaction where those with skills are rewarded and those w/ none have a hard time.  You're better off playing bots if you want to CV instead of awarding "kills" to people that simply hit battle.

Once WG milks the french DD line for all they're worth, the CVs will come back into the playable realm.  Spreadsheet demands it.

• Boring 4

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

I haven't bothered playing CV's past the T4 Hermes since the last patch. I recruited a couple new players and I was taking them out in a division so I decided to give low tier CV's a shot.

The Hermes has been doing good. I find the AA manageable provided it isn't up-tiered into a T5 match. But When I last played the Kaga and Audacious... lol... the planes just get deleted like nothing. I agree, the AA is absolute MURDER past T4. I'm lucky if I can get a game with 30,000 damage in a T8 carrier.

I'm not sure how to balance it, but either nerf the AA, increase squadron health even more, increase plane replenishment times, or just add more planes to a squadron. I dunno, but something has to give...

It's kinda pointless if you can't get 3 attack runs off. I know people will whine about it, but they don't realize that even if 3 attacks happen its far less damage than what they'd suffer from normal artillery fire or destroyer torps. If I citadel the #$%^ out of them with a BB and delete 75% of their HP it's OK!!!

But if I torpedo them in a DD or use rocket planes on them.... well, time to go on the forums and write some short-sighted complaints. If they don't like it... it's most likely because they've never tried a CV and have no idea what they're talking about. They don't want balance. They want World of Battleships.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 6

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,412 posts
4,847 battles

After 8.5.1 CV class is dead on arrival.    Anti-CV crowd wins and kills their own game.   Hoping for Subs now just to make the forums worth logging into.   

• Cool 4
  • Boring 6

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

The AA change fixed none of the problems, and the class that needed help against CVs the most basically got the least from it. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,614 posts
8,402 battles

The patch hasn't really made a difference for me. I don't play the T10 CVs much because I don't particularly like them, not because of the AA. The planes are clumsy to fly, and the torp attack runs are all very long. I also don't like the unending camping at T10.  I actually enjoy Enterprise and Lexington more and the T8 games . The T10 AA is manageable you just have to be careful. I can deal with it when uptiered with Enterprise (which is often) so Midway and Hak can certainly handle it. 

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

I just played the Shokaku just to try it out. It was a T10 match of course. I literally ran out of planes and did 30,000 damage. YAY!! :(

That's... T3 destroyer level damage? Impressive! Yeah, these CV's definitely need a nerf. Too OP.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[SIMP]
Members
1,081 posts
9,503 battles
11 hours ago, hammer_1 said:

In reality the CV had obsoleted the BB in the1920's and should be able to do more damage than any late war BB per battle.

Fixed that for you.

[SIMP]
Members
1,081 posts
9,503 battles
1 hour ago, RA6E_ said:

After 8.5.1 CV class is dead on arrival.    Anti-CV crowd wins and kills their own game.   Hoping for Subs now just to make the forums worth logging into.   

Played a T10 and had a Haka-something or other CV...

He drove into cap and tried to use secondaries on a Monty, while trying to block my torps by backing up...yeah he drove past, I fired, he stopped and was trying to reverse into the torps...

Could be it was because I said I was baffled why anyone would drive a CV now...

He came in dead last on the team.

Edited by _cthulhu_

[GOB]
Members
887 posts

A reply on this thread was giving a very detailed explanation of why they thought the CV has been hurt so badly.  As a fellow part time CV driver I was all in following him when he mentioned " I only got 4 Kills in a T 10 Random"    I'm sorry but complaining about a T10 round with 4 kills as if it is a slight is just amazing.  At T10 most people would be happy to get 2 Kills.  To date my Best random round was 4 kills and that was a frantic screaming yelling pounding on the keyboard happy T7 battle.

I agree about the planes melting.. but My top CV is a  T6 so I have no clue about T10 .  Just seems to me that unless some people get the powers to delete more than 5 ships a round and EASILY they will not be happy.  How is that fair to any Class?  Can Any class do that now regularly?  In any class I am grinning if I get at least 2 kills.. My Max was 4 in Random 8 in Ops and 7 in Co-op... I couldn't expect or even want 5 or more every round and have any fun here.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

A reply on this thread was giving a very detailed explanation of why they thought the CV has been hurt so badly.  As a fellow part time CV driver I was all in following him when he mentioned " I only got 4 Kills in a T 10 Random"    I'm sorry but complaining about a T10 round with 4 kills as if it is a slight is just amazing.  At T10 most people would be happy to get 2 Kills.  To date my Best random round was 4 kills and that was a frantic screaming yelling pounding on the keyboard happy T7 battle.

I agree about the planes melting.. but My top CV is a  T6 so I have no clue about T10 .  Just seems to me that unless some people get the powers to delete more than 5 ships a round and EASILY they will not be happy.  How is that fair to any Class?  Can Any class do that now regularly?  In any class I am grinning if I get at least 2 kills.. My Max was 4 in Random 8 in Ops and 7 in Co-op... I couldn't expect or even want 5 or more every round and have any fun here.

Well... if he killed 4 guys with a CV, I'll bet good money they were very low health targets and all he did was whored in on the kill. Or stole the kill. Its very hard to take down 4 ships with 100% health solo in a CV at any tier.

It's very possible in a DD or BB though. Cruisers less so, but still possible.

• Cool 2

Members
2,940 posts
11,375 battles

When T10 CV was fun to play, it was not fun for the non-CV players.  This concept does work the other way around as well.  

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
787 posts
5,106 battles

Amazes me every day how many  CV “game balance experts” (lol) are willing to sacrifice every shred of balance, agency and  fun for everyone else in this game just so they can do easy free damage farming in this game.    

The start of this thread sounds just like the thread where the Coop player was angry about BBs being so much harder then DDs . 

They want CVs the most OP class in this game. CVs is class that holds all the cards in its hand . It’s a class that can still reach tremendous damage numbers and kills.   CVs can still constantly top score boards in T10 games. 

Now since 8.5 surface ships for the first time in months can actually defend themselves.  And all you “ experts “wail that the free and easy damage farming is done.    That no more strikes can be done into GROUPS of Ships. 

Seriously people in this thread whining  that they can’t strike into groups of ships without loosing their planes. 

Boooooooohoooooo. 

Edited by eviltane
Added a comma.
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 6

Members
709 posts
4,174 battles

People tend to complain too much... I'm a CV player and accept that when there is too much AA in an area, well, I avoid that area. The only thing I don't like is that I'm fighting against AI, not players. AA should be under player's control, sector reinforcement is just a joke. Why not simply adding AA guns on top of turrets, torpedoes, etc when planes and ship players then target planes the same way they target other ships?

The other issue I have noticed... It is now possible for planes to hide behind islands. Before, even if there was an Everest between the ship and the squadrons, there was still lots of AA. Now, it's possible to play with the islands just as ships do...

In general, my suggestion is to develop a plane game experience closer to the ship to ship experience. Planes become then like kind of "small flying ships".

About historical accuracy... I read often that the game doesn't respect accuracy. First matchmaking can't make it real. See 2 Yamato playing together with a Bismarck... Well, well...

• Boring 2

[-BMV-]
Members
430 posts
16,899 battles
4 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Well, the only one that made any mention on the 4 kills thing was me so... You talking about me?

If you do, believe me i wasn't complaining about that. Hell, two of those kills were lucky ones. With CVs my average is barely 1 or 2 kills max if im lucky. Most of my games on CVs i spend them spotting and protecting the team. Kills are the least of my concerns and are completely irrelevant to me. Who gets the kills and how many of them are not important for me. You will never see me complain about that. What i did complain was at how easy my planes died. If that wasn't transmitted correctly, well im sorry about it.

3 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Well... if he killed 4 guys with a CV, I'll bet good money they were very low health targets and all he did was whored in on the kill. Or stole the kill. Its very hard to take down 4 ships with 100% health solo in a CV at any tier.

Me first kill was a khab i already damaged for 6k. He went and tried to kill our german dd who did a great job at reducing his HP to less than 3k. I simply saw him by chance and kill him.

The second one was a Bismarck that died due to flooding. He had very low HP.

The third was a Friesland. I kill him in smoke by pure luck. Did 769 damage on him while he was trying to cap. Saw his AA rounds and got lucky. I lost half of my rocket planes in that last attack run against him.

My fourth and last kill was a Republique i killed from Half HP near the end.

The only kill were i could accept the "Stole the Kill" thing would be Khab simply because our german dd would have kill him anyway. The rest were not.

The fact that i got 4 kills is in no way an indicative of the Class performance as a whole nor it means i want a class capable of getting a kraken every game. It only means it was a good game were i did the grand total of 47k in damage. Yup 47k.

Edited by Sidelock
  • Boring 3

[WOLFB]
Members
3,003 posts
12,584 battles

Why playing a 20 min CV game when you can earn the same / much more reward by playing 5-10min CA/DD/BB game ?

CV loses planes to pretty much any ship that has AA

CV get deplaned as fast as Harugumo shooting 50 shells

The ratio planes killed/damage dealt is garbage.

WG is releasing more broken AA plateform (cough Friesland cough)

There's just no reason to play CV right now, except if you have money and time to lose. Every other ship can earn as much reward as a CV:

-A DD yoloing into cap and Dev strike+First Blood the red DD and landing a torps or 2 against BB ? GG you beat the CV in reward

-A cruiser farming BB at range ? GG you beat the CV in reward

-A BB landing citadel at pretty much any angle against those cruiser shooting in the open ? ? GG you beat the CV

Bonus point for that lone Yoshino sailing in the open and cutting Midway planes as if it was flying butter. Remember when a friendly DM or Worcester or Minotaur was your best bud in CV game ? Yeah those time are gone.

Anyway, if WG intend to let CV in this current state, they might as well remove it and refund every CV owner the XP and dubs they invested in the line.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Members
55 posts
64 battles
19 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

I play one last night in my midway... get the "noob_cv" in other side... was reaaaaalllyyy fun.... (not).

The enemy team put 3 bbs togheter, my planes melt before do anything, fun.

We lose.

Now tell me, why play with this s**t useless cv again?

Everyone knows this, WG doesnt care

[DOW]
Members
926 posts
28,146 battles
14 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

Have to wait until the french DD (no smoke) line makes its money before CVs are returned to where they belong.  Naturally it'd default to a PvP interaction where those with skills are rewarded and those w/ none have a hard time.  You're better off playing bots if you want to CV instead of awarding "kills" to people that simply hit battle.

Once WG milks the french DD line for all they're worth, the CVs will come back into the playable realm.  Spreadsheet demands it.

I believe this and it's supported by the rework roll out, brief wait to sell premium CV's and subsequent nerfs. These are business decisions made by a basically decent company but one really has to say buyer beware.