You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sinboto

Been playing too much CV/DD

17 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Supertester
3,429 posts
6,828 battles

I'm in too deep, I've been playing nothing but DDs and CVs for too long and now BBs are frustrating me to no end, send help I think if I see another shot at 5km straddle a target I'll go insane. 

edit: just venting. 

Edited by Sinboto
  • Funny 1

[SIM]
Members
4,205 posts
7,231 battles

Yeah, I did the exact same thing from 0.8.0-0.8.3(?), and found battleships to be pure misery afterwards. It wasn’t until the release of the RU BBs and Georgia that I started to find them fun again.

• Cool 1

Members
99 posts
1 hour ago, Sinboto said:

I'm in too deep, I've been playing nothing but DDs and CVs for too long and now BBs are frustrating me to no end, send help I think if I see another shot at 5km straddle a target I'll go insane. 

edit: just venting. 

Despite declarations to the contrary coming from a few ignorant DD players, playing BBs does indeed take skill.

In WoW, playing DDs, especially in co-op, is instant gratification. It's why I somewhat jokingly refer to them as the ADD kids.  Each hit does thousands of HP. And if you fire them in a tight grouping, it's easy to kill off a BB or CV. That's why DDs own co-op games: the bot-BBs are sitting ducks.  One can watch a single DD take out 3 BBs in a 4-minute game. 

Tops have several great advantages: no ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  You hit or don't, and hits cause thousands of HP damage.

In contrast, it's not nearly as common to see a BB take out a ship in the first salvo, and almost never a BB. You generally have to whittle them down.  Then there are the ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  Lastly there is placement and speed. In a BB, if you choose the wrong side of the map to head toward, you could miss the fight altogether. No, it isn't just aim-and-click like some say.

Playing DDs is like DDs playing checkers, while playing BBs is more akin to playing chess. Some are good at one, some at the other.  I'm envious of those who can play both well.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Angry 1

[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,003 battles
33 minutes ago, Comte_deGrasse said:

playing BBs does indeed take skill.

Unless you're playing Conqueror :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Members
627 posts
699 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Unless you're playing Conqueror :Smile_trollface:

HE spam is HE spam. Conq takes about as much skill to play as any of the magical flamethrower autocannon barges 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,084 posts
3 hours ago, Sinboto said:

BBs are frustrating me to no end, send help I think if I see another shot at 5km straddle a target I'll go insane. 

Yup. After the pinpoint accuracy of carrier planes and the laser accuracy of dd torp drops, BBs can and do make people scream. One would think, somewhat fairly, firing at a target w/in 5 km would require less accuracy then sniping them at over 20 km. Except in this game. 

I think BB accuracy overall should eventually funnel down to a very narrow point of RNG as the range between the target and your ship diminishes, with all of them having approximately the same accuracy numbers at 3 km and below.

Imagine, the closer you get the better the accuracy, the less effect produced by RNG. 

Members
627 posts
699 battles
10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yup. After the pinpoint accuracy of carrier planes and the laser accuracy of dd torp drops, BBs can and do make people scream. One would think, somewhat fairly, firing at a target w/in 5 km would require less accuracy then sniping them at over 20 km. Except in this game. 

I think BB accuracy overall should eventually funnel down to a very narrow point of RNG as the range between the target and your ship diminishes, with all of them having approximately the same accuracy numbers at 3 km and below.

Imagine, the closer you get the better the accuracy, the less effect produced by RNG. 

I've often thought that BBs should get deadlier the closer you get to them. Be foolish or unlucky enough to be inside 10km of one with it's turrets pointing your way, and the descending hammer should leave you either dead or mangled if you survive.

As an added bonus, it would make close range duels between destroyers and battleships an actual contest of players, rather than an exercise of WG's stupid mechanics skewing entirely to one side.

Edited by Highlord

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,084 posts
11 minutes ago, Highlord said:

I've often thought that BBs should get deadlier the closer you get to them. Be foolish or unlucky enough to be inside 10km of one with it's turrets pointing your way, and the descending hammer should leave you either dead or mangled if you survive.

As an added bonus, it would make close range duels between destroyers and battleships an actual contest of players, rather than an exercise of WG's stupid mechanics skewing entirely to one side.

Sounds good to me... w/30 second reloads it could prove very interesting.

I imagine it would encourage BBs to get out and fight more than sniping from range. But we have to be honest here... not all BBs are configured for close quarters' combat. 

[SALVO]
Members
786 posts
5,106 battles
3 hours ago, Comte_deGrasse said:

Despite declarations to the contrary coming from a few ignorant DD players, playing BBs does indeed take skill.

In WoW, playing DDs, especially in co-op, is instant gratification. It's why I somewhat jokingly refer to them as the ADD kids.  Each hit does thousands of HP. And if you fire them in a tight grouping, it's easy to kill off a BB or CV. That's why DDs own co-op games: the bot-BBs are sitting ducks.  One can watch a single DD take out 3 BBs in a 4-minute game. 

Tops have several great advantages: no ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  You hit or don't, and hits cause thousands of HP damage.

In contrast, it's not nearly as common to see a BB take out a ship in the first salvo, and almost never a BB. You generally have to whittle them down.  Then there are the ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  Lastly there is placement and speed. In a BB, if you choose the wrong side of the map to head toward, you could miss the fight altogether. No, it isn't just aim-and-click like some say.

Playing DDs is like DDs playing checkers, while playing BBs is more akin to playing chess. Some are good at one, some at the other.  I'm envious of those who can play both well.

Yeah when you play mostly Coop It’s not a big surprise that you often see a single DD take out 3 BBs in 4 minutes. ....... I am not saying that it doesn’t happen in randoms but it’s a lot harder to pull off then you make it look here when playing against actual humans. 

I don’t think there is very much  you said here that is valid.

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[TRU]
Members
183 posts
11,772 battles

Playing all ship types, I would have to say in order of skill required to make an impact in randoms it would be:

1. CV

2. DD

3. Cruisers

4. BB

CVs are my least played ship but with this current patch, you have to be extremely careful at higher tiers as to where you fly, wondering what may be behind an island.   DDs can swat your planes and god forbid you overshoot a drop and get into a cruisers AA.  Prior to the big change and when we had fighters, this is even more true.  

DDs are probably my most played ships and the enemy team's favorite target especially in the beginning of the game.  However, in coop I would agree.  Stay concealed and belch torps.  Against human players, human DDs and CVs love spotting your DD and their entire team loves chucking ordinance your way with a small but manuervable health pool.  

Crusiers are fun, fast firing consistent damage dealers.   Flame throwers too.  Although I am not a fan of island humping, I unfortunately have seen first hand how frustrating it can be as as a BB.  It makes it worth it to charge them if it makes sense and delete them.  I just had a ranked game in a Sinop and this happened exactly with a Flint.  Burned me to half health and with a heal I took a Torp or two but had his side and sank him.  Felt great.  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,671 posts
11,710 battles

Playing a ship with a weapon with a 9% hit rate and 2 minute reload. Not frustrating.

Playing a ship with a weapon with a 25% hit rate and a 30 second reload. Frustrating.

Suuuuuure.

Compared to DDs, BBs are indeed easy-mode, but take their own skill to play. The thing I personally hate most is having to bow on all the time and getting overmatched by some twit in a Musashi.

[WMD]
Members
1,080 posts
7,921 battles
3 hours ago, Comte_deGrasse said:

Co-op is a different beast than randoms. Playing a DD in randoms is constantly skirting death for the duration of the match, in a BB its sitting back taking opportunistic shots until it's time to push. 

Both take skill to do well, which is why so many of us are bad at it..   

• Cool 1

Members
99 posts
On 7/18/2019 at 11:05 PM, eviltane said:

Yeah when you play mostly Coop It’s not a big surprise that you often see a single DD take out 3 BBs in 4 minutes. ....... I am not saying that it doesn’t happen in randoms but it’s a lot harder to pull off then you make it look here when playing against actual humans. 

I don’t think there is very much  you said here that is valid.

I don't argue that there is a big difference between co-op and random.  But that doesn't change the following facts:

"Tops have several great advantages: no ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  You hit or don't, and hits cause thousands of HP damage.

In contrast, it's not nearly as common to see a BB take out a ship in the first salvo, and almost never a BB. You generally have to whittle them down.  Then there are the ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  Lastly there is placement and speed. In a BB, if you choose the wrong side of the map to head toward, you could miss the fight altogether. No, it isn't just aim-and-click like some say."

[PHD]
Members
748 posts
3,824 battles

Torps 33 meters/sec. 10 (maybe) per salvo 120 sec reload time, can be spotted coming over 1 km away.

14 to 16" shells, 750+? meters/sec 8 to 12 per salvo 30 +/- sec reload time, can go over islands.

[V-MF]
Members
73 posts
On 7/18/2019 at 7:55 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

I do agree the accuracy mechanics in general should be better range-scaled.

One thing I've always favored to reduce camping and bow tanking would be to give BB and appropriate CA much better side protection across the board. The vulnerability penalty for maneuvering really chokes the available options for positioning and engagement.

Edited by Kaigun_Chusa

[MKF]
Members
487 posts
18,864 battles
4 hours ago, Comte_deGrasse said:

I don't argue that there is a big difference between co-op and random.  But that doesn't change the following facts:

"Tops have several great advantages: no ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  You hit or don't, and hits cause thousands of HP damage.

In contrast, it's not nearly as common to see a BB take out a ship in the first salvo, and almost never a BB. You generally have to whittle them down.  Then there are the ricochets, non-penetrations, shot dispersion or low-damage through-and-throughs.  Lastly there is placement and speed. In a BB, if you choose the wrong side of the map to head toward, you could miss the fight altogether. No, it isn't just aim-and-click like some say."

Yeah... tell that to cruisers that get dev struck from a single BB salvo.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,084 posts
2 hours ago, Kaigun_Chusa said:

The vulnerability penalty for maneuvering really chokes the available options for positioning and engagement.

Hmm... possibly I'd agree... except those vulnerabilities exist, I believe, for more than one purpose, mechanics and money.