You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
freggo

Non matching Damage totals

7 comments in this topic

[A-O]
Members
786 posts
8,136 battles

I know, it is a minor bug. Stop typing :-)

201655 Damages in the battle screen, yet 201658 on the final screen.

I noticed this for some time in both Operations and CO-OP. Usually off by 1

Now, being off by one could be an error in the rounding formula but 3... strange.

And no, there was not any additional damage done. Sometimes the final screen is a bit higher, sometimes lower. As a fellow captain I do not mind such a small difference but as a programmer it intrigues me as to what is causing it:-)

shot-19_07.18_01_53.39-0914.thumb.jpg.623f3eca7d0226d335bfd89c17310930.jpg

shot-19_07.18_01_53.08-0863.thumb.jpg.e24b3cebd3626fcf522b04ccbe57b9b3.jpg

[OIL-1]
Members
391 posts

WG has always had a problem doing math. Dates back to the early days of the tank game.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,223 posts
11,364 battles

If you want to show off your eleven kills, then just show off your eleven kills.

That aside, it likely still is a rounding/displayed digits issue. There are two likely manifestations:

1. In one of your screens, the calculation behind the display was real number math( where decimals aren’t displayed but are still part of the numerical value), and the other had integer math behind it, where individual ship scores get rounded before being added. That could lead to different totals.

2. There is also the case where the total damage number would appear to differ from that obtained by summing up the individual ship damage amounts. That would be because the software is doing the real number arithmetic, but the user can only do the integer math.

The more ships you damage, the greater is the opportunity for the stackups/rounding to become evident. The probability that they add up to much is small, but once in a great while the undisplayed digits could add up to a handful of points.

Fractional amounts of hitpoint damage come from DOT effects (flooding, fires, and even repairs) where the amount of damage/repair is a percentage of the ship’s HP total.

[A-O]
Members
786 posts
8,136 battles
2 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

If you want to show off your eleven kills, then just show off your eleven kills.

That aside, it likely still is a rounding/displayed digits issue. There are two likely manifestations:

1. In one of your screens, the calculation behind the display was real number math( where decimals aren’t displayed but are still part of the numerical value), and the other had integer math behind it, where individual ship scores get rounded before being added. That could lead to different totals.

As for showing off... Only a thief thinks everyone else is a thief...

My non hidden stats make it clear I got nothing to show off and getting 11 kills in Narai is easy if you go after the transports. My cat once got a kill walking over the keyboard.

As for the math and rounding errors...

Both screens show a 'total value', i.e. there is a sum calculation. There is no excuse for these calculations not to come to the same result. Either count the decimals or don't.

I come from mainframe programming, mostly Banking systems in Cobol, from way back. Totals there can not be off by even a penny. We all know what happens if you take fractions casually.

Yeah, I'm an ol' fart; I know that PEEK and POKE are not dirty words :-)

Edited by freggo
spelling fix

[A-I-M]
Members
2,223 posts
11,364 battles
18 minutes ago, freggo said:

There is no excuse for these calculations not to come to the same result. Either count the decimals or don't.

I’ve given you the explanation, not the excuse. If you don’t like it, take it to WG.

[A-O]
Members
786 posts
8,136 battles
38 minutes ago, turbo07 said:

Thank you for reporting it. We had some reports before. It's an old minor bug, as you have noticed right, with low priority at the moment. 
But I see that investigations is running. So we may expect it to be fixed in future updates. 

Wow !! That's an unexpected, and appreciated, reply :-)

• Cool 1