Eisennagel

Kyoto Animation set on fire by sick [edited]

42 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
10,236 posts
Beta Testers
10,236 posts

The studio looks completely gutted.

News seems to be getting worst.  At least 12 maybe presumed dead and more people are missing.  

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/japanese-fire-official-says-12-people-presumed-dead-more-missing-after-kyoto-animation-studio-fire/968024334

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/18/20698910/kyoto-animation-arson-attack-deaths-injuries-suspect

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/multiple-deaths-arson-attack-at-kyoto-animation-anime-studio-1225232

A GoFundMe campaign has started, "Help KyoAni heal".

This is among the most beloved of anime studios, rivaling Ghibli itself, for many iconic TV series and characters.  With this level of damage and death among its personnel, I wonder how the studio can survive.  

Edited by Eisennagel

[TROLO]
Members
423 posts
8,294 battles

The guy that set it on fire did it because he realised they will make another season of Eromanga Sensei

Sorry for the bad joke, rest in peace the ones who died and hope the injured recover as soon as possible. 

• Confused 1
  • Angry 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,682 posts
5,280 battles

Picked up on the story early on, as every hour passes seems to be getting worse. 

This is devastating on on many levels and I hope the death toll doesn't increase.

From what I read as well a 41 year old male is the prime suspect, seems to be in custody and injured. Most likely a deranged mind. 

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,760 posts
5,814 battles

Last I heard it's 36 dead now.

RIP KyoAni studios, I don't think they'll recover from this horrible event. I have to wonder though, did they not have any sort of fire prevention system or evacuation plan? The toll seems really high.

[WOLFG]
Members
7,004 posts
5,011 battles
4 hours ago, XurMP said:

The guy that set it on fire did it because he realised they will make another season of Eromanga Sensei

Sorry for the bad joke, rest in peace the ones who died and hope the injured recover as soon as possible. 

The really sad thing is, if they find the reason for the arson, it will be something of that nature.

Beta Testers
10,236 posts

Updates.  Casualty numbers going up to 26.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/18/asia/kyoto-animation-fire-intl-hnk/index.html

CNA says 30, then revises to 33.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/japan-kyoto-fire-animation-studio-injuries-dead-kyoani-11731372

I agree this company might be dead with the great loss of its talents.    This is extremely tragic for the anime world.  

[TROLO]
Members
423 posts
8,294 battles
11 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The really sad thing is, if they find the reason for the arson, it will be something of that nature.

Some sources are saying that is a ex employee getting revenge for firing him but still very soon to tell

• Angry 1

[SCB]
Members
92 posts
6,085 battles

It's almost unbelievable so many perished. The perpetrator must have known the building layout pretty well and he attacked them very quickly. One report stated he was hosing people with petrol before setting them ablaze. Think of the horrific shock. They probably thought it might have been some kind of bizarre prank or stunt before the fire ignited.

The hardest thing to imagine is why he would do it. No one can account for such a psychopathic mentality. But the next hardest thing I'm trying to figure out is how did he do it, logistically. And what about the sprinkler systems? Was the building up to code for fire hazard?

I assume most of their production is done almost entirely digitally, but I wonder if they had a department doing any traditional art media, such as canvases and paint supplies with oils for backgrounds? That could have exacerbated the flames. I always thought it would be fun to work in entertainment, but this is so tragic.

+40 year old man vs. anime... What a nutter

[WOLFG]
Members
7,004 posts
5,011 battles
10 minutes ago, JagWar_84 said:

One report stated he was hosing people with petrol before setting them ablaze.

If that is the case, a standard building sprinkler system wouldn't work very well.

Much like fire extinguishers, fire prevention systems are designed to work against specific fire threats.

Members
2,475 posts
86 battles
2 hours ago, XurMP said:

Some sources are saying that is a ex employee getting revenge for firing him but still very soon to tell

Highly unlikely. KoyAni has the best work environment among all Japanese animation studios.

[TROLO]
Members
423 posts
8,294 battles
1 minute ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Highly unlikely. KoyAni has the best work environment among all Japanese animation studios.

Not saying it's true, just saying what I have heard. Might be true or might be completely wrong, just don't know

Beta Testers
10,236 posts

The final number might be 33, but there are more seriously injured.   Prayers for the departed and for their families, and prayers for those hurt so they may recover soon.  

z1gtnkk.jpg

[SOUP]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Modder, Privateers
8,614 posts

67205600_1519467871523621_74588184731461

[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,112 posts
17,847 battles
10 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Last I heard it's 36 dead now.

RIP KyoAni studios, I don't think they'll recover from this horrible event. I have to wonder though, did they not have any sort of fire prevention system or evacuation plan? The toll seems really high.

Kyoani will be back

D_vJOIZXoAALREo.jpg

Beta Testers
10,236 posts

Last major announcement KyoAni made before the attack was that Season 2 of Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a go.  

Now we have discovered that Dragon Maid's director, Yasuhiro Takemoto, is one of those who died in the fire.  RIP.

OpenNegligibleDutchshepherddog-size_rest

Yasuhiro Takemoto also directed Full Metal Panic.  

KyoAni was supposed to announce the Free! movie today. Now this looks indefinitely postponed.

https://kotaku.com/after-attack-kyoto-animation-cancels-release-of-new-an-1836477994

Donations for Kyoto Animation have reached over the 1 million mark.  

Chinese animation site Bilibili.com greyed their website for 24 hours as news.  Chinese anime fans flocked to Weibo as the news went viral.  One called it the "Darkest Day in Japan's Animation."

I would call it the worst mass murder in Japan's post war history.

o86qxMN.jpg

Edited by Eisennagel

Beta Testers
10,236 posts

Yasuhiro Takemoto isn't confirmed dead but he is considered missing and might be presumed dead.  He's the legendary director not only behind Dragon Maid, but also of Violet Evergarden, Chuunibiyo, K-On, Lucky Star, Amagi Brilliant Park, Hyouka, and Nichijou.

Another director, Tatsuya Ishihara of Haruhi Suzumiya,k is alleged or confirmed safe.

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anime/yasuhiro-takemoto-dead-death-missing-kyoto-animation-fire-arson-mass-murder-studio-kyoani-director-violet-evergarden-miss-kobayashis-dragon-maid/

[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,112 posts
17,847 battles

Wait have they confirmed him as dead? Last I heard he was still listed as missing 

Beta Testers
10,236 posts

The name of the perpetrator has been released.    

KyoAni is strongly equal opportunity, and their hiring practices what they preach.    I pray for the women whose lives were lost in this horrific manner.    Far more than just losing a fabled anime studio, this crime will haunt a nation for years.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/world/asia/japan-fire-kyoto-animation.html

Edited by Eisennagel

Beta Testers
10,236 posts
1 hour ago, Triela50 said:

Wait have they confirmed him as dead? Last I heard he was still listed as missing 

There was some panic and some people tweeted that five of their directors were missing or dead.  But ever since that, two of the directors have turned up.  

How much of KyoAni is affected I don't know but they have three studios and 170 employees.    The one that got burned is Studio #1, not Head Office and Studio #2.  They also have an office in Tokyo and a studio in Osaka.   So I can safely say they don't have all their eggs in one basket.  

Edited by Eisennagel

[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,112 posts
17,847 battles
1 hour ago, Eisennagel said:

There was some panic and some people tweeted that five of their directors were missing or dead.  But ever since that, two of the directors have turned up.  

How much of KyoAni is affected I don't know but they have three studios and 170 employees.    The one that got burned is Studio #1, not Head Office and Studio #2.  They also have an office in Tokyo and a studio in Osaka.   So I can safely say they don't have all their eggs in one basket.  

They lost 44% of their staff either dead or badly injured. It has to have crippled the company I wouldn't exspect  anything new from them for months if not years