You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
I_Potato_Ther4_I_Yam

Scapa Flow Naval Base.

26 comments in this topic

[LEGIT]
Members
2,028 posts
27,847 battles

Well - there's not too much to see there really.  Is it Rosyth that has a view of the Forth Railway Bridge?  That was opened in 1890.

But there are probably better choices in GB either way.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Supertester
22,837 posts
12,789 battles
Just now, slokill_1 said:

Well - there's not too much to see there really.  Is it Rosyth that has a view of the Forth Railway Bridge?  That was opened in 1890.

Yeah, it is the Ocean port with some very barren land and very few buildings.

[SALVO]
Members
22,935 posts
23,508 battles
25 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

I think that the thing is that it's a relative famous war time base for the Royal Navy and that's its appeal.  But as you point out, it may not be much to look at.  And that's the problem with a number of naval bases.  They're not as interesting to look at as port cities.  And the devs like port cities more from past experience.

Modder
1,223 posts
9 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

Plymouth Sound would be a good choice, largest naval base in Western Europe and has seen a huge amount of warship traffic during both peace and war.

Spoiler

Image result for hms rodney plymouth

HMS Rodney leaving Devonport with HMS Hood in the background c.1933

Portsmouth would also be nice, being the home of the Royal Navy but I'm biased so Plymouth Sound/Devonport would be my first choice. 

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,759 posts
5,814 battles
12 hours ago, I_Potato_Ther4_I_Yam said:

How is there not a port option for this and are there mod packs that have it?

First of all Scapa Flow was not a naval base. It was more of natural anchorage.

Second have you ever seen historical images of the place? It is a desolate wasteland. Imagine the Ocean port, and add in some barren treeless islands and a couple of small buildings here and there. That's it.

If you want a British port there are better choices like Malta, Singapore, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Alexandria, Hong Kong harbour.

[KNMSU]
Members
6,825 posts
7,440 battles
11 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

This. Scapa Flow is a flat, boring, treeless wasteland. I second the Firth Bridge. I also think Fort William, Scotland would be an amazing anchorage.

fort-william?size=md

Oh, and, while we're on the subject of Imperial ports, how is this still not a thing?

vancouver-harbor-at-dusk-560222155-5b467

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

[WMD]
Members
1,090 posts
7,955 battles

How about a Commonwealth port like Sydney or Halifax? 

I imagine they'd choose Sydney because it a bit more tropical than Halifax with its fog. Though Halifax ties in nicely with WWI due to the Halifax Explosion. 

[WAIFU]
13,759 posts
5,814 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

How about a Commonwealth port like Sydney or Halifax? 

I imagine they'd choose Sydney because it a bit more tropical than Halifax with its fog. Though Halifax ties in nicely with WWI due to the Halifax Explosion. 

If we get a Sydney port, then it MUST have Waltzing Matilda as the background theme.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
8,554 posts
12 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

Well - there's not too much to see there really. 

I beg to differ:

iStock-912920388.jpg

01-Scapa-Flow-1200x800.jpg

image.jpg

The Orkney Islands are fantastic landscapes and not every port needs to be a visually busy in-city mess like New York or London (which isn't even a Naval Port).

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,777 posts
12,700 battles
35 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

First of all Scapa Flow was not a naval base. It was more of natural anchorage.

Second have you ever seen historical images of the place? It is a desolate wasteland. Imagine the Ocean port, and add in some barren treeless islands and a couple of small buildings here and there. That's it.

If you want a British port there are better choices like Malta, Singapore, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Alexandria, Hong Kong harbour.

Ohh....never thought about Malta... 

[5BS]
Members
8,554 posts
38 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

First of all Scapa Flow was not a naval base.

Um, yes there was. It was closed in the 50's. But there was a large Naval Base there:

german-fleet.jpg

scapa+big.jpg

Most of the main structures have been removed, although there are a few still left at Hoy.

[WAIFU]
13,759 posts
5,814 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

Um, yes there was. It was closed in the 50's. But there was a large Naval Base there:

german-fleet.jpg

scapa+big.jpg

Most of the main structures have been removed, although there are a few still left at Hoy.

Those images of Scapa Flow when it was active simply proves my point that the place was desolate. Again there are better and more visually interesting places to use as another British or Commonwealth port.

[5BS]
Members
8,554 posts
16 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Those images of Scapa Flow when it was active simply proves my point that the place was desolate. Again there are better and more visually interesting places to use as a port.

Well for one, both of those are from 1918 of the German interned fleet. The base was heavily enlarged during WWII. There are very few pictures of that base because take a guess why there aren't a lot of publicly available pictures of the largest most important naval Base for the Royal Navy? There are not exactly dozens of pictures of Pearl Harbor either for kinda the same reasons. And Pearl Harbor at least had tourists and people near by, Scapa Flow is very much out of the way so Civilian aircraft kinda stand out. Bear in mind an *airfield* and Anti-Aircraft Battery/Radar station were added in 1940 as fears of long ranged bombers coming in from the North presented a real problem (to say nothing of wanting SUB chasers and reconnaissance aircraft to watch the North Sea/Baltic).

sc_449543.png

A rare picture from the air 9and quite a bit off) but It looks FAR from desolate.

For two, speaking as someone who actually you know, works with ports for a living, a Naval base needs exactly 3 things: A headquarters Building, a Barracks for ashore personnel, and a repair/Victualing yard. That's what a Naval base is. Scapa Flow had all three.

No if you are arguing taste, fine, that's not really something that can be argued, however I would like to note that we have 8 visually busy ports in game already, between the Dry dock (extremely busy), New York (almost distractedly busy), London (which *is* distractingly busy as the tight quarters actually make it impossible to see certain ships from certain angles (tower bridge gets in the way for example)), Saint Petersburg , almost as bad as New York, and Hamburg, which is a WALL of city. So a more gentle, less visually busy port might be nice and the Orkney Islands are quite beautiful which brings me to my last point; speaking as someone whose BEEN to Scapa Flow several times, it is FAR from desolate. King William Island is desolate (been there too). Prince of Whales Island is desolate. Scapa Flow is no where APPROACHING that. It's just not a bustling city which makes sense as it was JUST a naval base. FYI Pearl Harbor isn't exactly busy looking either (especially *before* 1941), nor visually interesting; the volcanic peaks are not dissimilar from the Scottish highlands you can see to the South from Hoy.

Edited by _RC1138

[A-O]
Members
786 posts
8,110 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

There are very few pictures of that base because take a guess why there aren't a lot of publicly available pictures of the largest most important naval Base for the Royal Navy?

sc_449543.png

A rare picture from the air 9and quite a bit off) but It looks FAR from desolate.

No if you are arguing taste, fine, that's not really something that can be argued, however I would like to note that we have 8 visually busy ports in game already, ... Hamburg, which is a WALL of city.

Not many photos of Scapa Flow .. secrecy... and than a post of one with German writing on it (übungsplatz) as taken by the German Air Force:-)

As for port of Hamburg, it is very well done (I went to University there) and the buildings, churches, city hall, free port and elevated trains are still there.

Ah yes, and the Bismarck was built only a few yards away from where she is parked in the game (starboard side aft) !

Edited by freggo
content correction

[KNMSU]
Members
6,825 posts
7,440 battles
2 minutes ago, Noone_You_Know said:

Lol, I can see my house.

Vancouver is a beautiful place. The homeless problem is absolutely appalling, but the environment is just staggeringly lovely.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,208 posts
6,943 battles

I certainly wouldn't mind the addition of it. I tend to use the less 'busy' ports anyways. Normally my IJN/Axis fleet is based out of Zipangu and my USN/Allies fleet lives in Hawaii. Now I do tend to use the Naval Base when I have premium time as it's good for screen shots and I take lots of screen shots. They make up a significant portion of my screen saver and it's nice to get some shots that show what's under the waterline.

shot-17_04.14_23_07.54-0510.thumb.jpg.f583aaca40a20265679ad1e41775d62e.jpg

[PHD]
Members
753 posts
3,832 battles

I use the Philippines port as most of my ships are IJN and the Japan ports are to modern and plain. But one thing I like about the Black Sea port is that in the containers screen you can see your in port ship, gives a nice view. 

Maybe there is a port that, at some point, every nation would have visited. Hong Kong or Rio de Janeiro?

Maybe Gibraltar too?

[CMFRT]
Members
10,332 posts

It probably comes as no surprise that I use the Ocean port, and immediately change it back every time WG decides I really really need to see some other port. 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,028 posts
27,847 battles
7 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

I beg to differ:

I have to agree with you.  There is a lot to be said for a serene vista.