You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Suggestion for fast intel for dd players

12 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
469 posts
7,176 battles

I wanted to show the community something that works well for me.  I have a log of my dds that shows concealment, torpedo range, and gun range at a glance (see attached files).  It's a standard 6x9 notebook.  If you look at the attached files, you will also note that I have the torp and gun configuration as well.  The two pages that I shared with you all are my IJN dds.  The names are in pen, but the numbers are in pencil.  That is so when I progress in my captain's skills or add modules I can erase and update the numbers.  If you're wondering, the "P" on the first page denotes a premium ship.  There is no concealment number because it depends on what captain she has at the time (again, in pencil, so you can write it in temporarily and erase later)

Page 3 is the USN dd line.  Just working on the German, Russian, and RN lines so they will get their  own pages.

Yes, it's low tech, but it is a very quick tool to glance at during the loading part of a battle and during gameplay.  There are probably more sophisticated ways to do this, but this works and it is FAST (flip the page and get instant info).

Let me know if this helps, and please share your tips on dd intel.

2070801680_ddlogpg1.thumb.jpg.00c473483c69d48cc50ecdd9c87ff33b.jpg1438155374_ddlogpg2.thumb.jpg.82ec91affe78f6f0712d676a9210dfc2.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Confused 1

[DBM]
Members
469 posts
7,176 battles

Destroyer_KuroshioKai, what do you think?

Members
5,784 posts
6,648 battles

It looks like some of your info is accounting for CE, camo, and/or the concealment module, while others are not.

Some quick numbers to help you calculate those values:

CE and camo apply to all tiers. To get the number you multiply the ships base concealment by, multiplying 0.90*0.97 = 0.873  <--- This value mainly applies to T5, T6, and T7 destroyers, as they can't mount the T8 concealment module aside from a few exceptions like Z-39.

So, for example, your Akatsuki number doesn't account for camo and CE, while your Kagero number accounts for camo, CE, and the module. Akatsuki's base concealment of 7.38km multiplied by 0.873 equal 6.44km. So Akatsuki with a full concealment build is spotted at 6.4km (roughly. the game cuts off the decimals at the tenths in-game, but Akatsuki will actually be spotted almost as soon as you get within 6.4km of an enemy because of that extra 40m that isn't shown in the in-game UI).

Since I mentioned your Kagero numbers, I'll use those as an example for calculating any T8+ destroyer. You multiply the ships base concealment value by 0.90*0.90*0.97 = 0.7857 <--- So take Kagero's base concealment of 6.84km (taken from the wiki) and multiply it by 0.7857 and you get 5.37km (6.84km * 0.7857 = 5.37km), which in the in-game UI gets rounded up to 5.4km. As a comparison to the above, a Kagero can be "5.4km" from an enemy ship and still not be spotted. This is because the actual value is less than 5.4, but due to the way the UI rounds, you run into stuff like this.

So, a quick run down so the numbers are more clearly visible:

0.90*0.97 = 0.873 <--- This value is multiplied by the base concealment of a DD to determine that DDs concealment with camouflage and the Concealment Expert captain skill. (note that CE and the concealment module are interchangeable) Applies to T5, T6, and T7 DDs primarily.

0.90*0.90*0.97 = 0.7857 <--- This value is multiplied by the base concealment of a DD to determine that DDs concealment with camouflage, the Concealment Expert captain skill, and the T8 concealment module. (this only applies to T8+ DDs and Z-39)

I think it's important to remember each DDs concealment assuming that they're maxing out their concealment value. This way, you're never surprised by a DD appearing closer than you would have thought it should have. Plus, it allows you to know if an enemy DD is not running a concealment build (which all DDs should be, in my opinion. Concealment is a DDs armor, not maxing it out is just silly). As an example, I played a ranked sprint game where I was spotting a red Z-39 before he could spot me in my Z-39. My assumption was that he likely didn't have the concealment module mounted (though he could have been running a captain without CE too), but it changed the way I could approach that match, because despite having the same ship, I could bully him off a cap zone by simply spotting him for my team to shoot at, no risk to myself.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
469 posts
7,176 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

It looks like some of your info is accounting for CE, camo, and/or the concealment module, while others are not.

That is absolutely true.  What I showed you is what I have AT THIS TIME.  That's why the numbers are in pencil.  Remember, each ships is at it's own evolution.  I've had to grab captains to staff up higher tiered ships.

This is an example of a game assist tool.  Everything in your post is accurate.  In the heat of battle, however, I need to glance at important numbers to me.  It's just a tool that I offer up to the community.

[--V--]
Members
1,043 posts
12,249 battles

I have this built for all ships in a huge spreadsheet.  I keep it up on my 2nd monitor for reference at any time.   Took a while to build at first, but now its just maintenance as new ships are added.

[CUTER]
Members
3,145 posts
12,668 battles
15 hours ago, AMajor said:

Destroyer_KuroshioKai, what do you think?

My early work into DD builds looked a lot like this.  Mine was usually finding a new video from a known excellent DD player, and ripping all the info apart to figure out the build, then notes on everything they did where I couldn’t see immediately what their plan or intent behind it was.  Anything I could do to gleam a new tactic or trick for my tool box.

Since the fitting room didn’t exist I had to do the math by long hand for BFT, TAE, or what torps or guns are being used, and watch for decreases in reloads over the course of the game to indicate AR.  SE, CE, AFT, TA are pretty easy to see on the mini map.  JOAT I calculated off the consumable cool down.  The info is all there you just needed to put in the effort.  Your work is a hell of a lot more organized than mine was at the time.

Over time this information was memorized, it helps a lot I have a photographic memory, so I can recall the numbers off the fitting room, or in game and “see” them on demand.  Doing this for radar and hydro is important too.  The more you can commit to memory the faster you can respond to situations.

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
469 posts
7,176 battles
On 7/17/2019 at 11:40 PM, SeaborneSumo said:

I keep it up on my 2nd monitor for reference at any time

I only have one monitor, so this wouldn't work well for me.  I applaud you for the effort.  Can you attach your excel spreadsheet so I can take a look?

[DBM]
Members
469 posts
7,176 battles
On 7/18/2019 at 1:46 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

fitting room

????????? What's that?

[DBM]
Members
469 posts
7,176 battles

Dang, never knew about this!  We need to have a permanent thread under destroyers called "dd tools" so that everyone could post things like this all in one place.

[DBM]
Members
469 posts
7,176 battles
On 7/25/2019 at 4:15 AM, Report_CVs said:

I have oven timers for Radar countdowns so i know when they will be up again

I use that trick too.  I still think that that we need a thread called dd tools so that we can ALL share our tips with each other.