Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ares1967

How to lose a Knife fight and look dumb doing it...

24 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
1,588 posts
13,494 battles

1) Take a Flint and sneak up on an Asashio's smoke.

2) When the Asashio charges out of the smoke, shoot him 63 times with AP.

2A) Sail broadside to the Asashio when he kites you so he can punch holes in your cit.

Yes, this just happened....

AssyVSFlint.thumb.PNG.54c9e771d69cef93d13a8b88c98b5af5.PNGAssyVSFlint3.thumb.jpg.6e4f1f3dbe6cdc529925f2d6fdc73c6f.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[SYN]
Members
3,618 posts
19,578 battles

Asashio has very good guns, people forget that.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,875 posts
9,727 battles

Used to be a time when you saw a flint on the enemy team's rosters, you would ponder how bad your loss was going to be...

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,618 posts
19,578 battles

1 hour ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I hate Asashios. 99% of them are just dead weight on a team. I always seem to wind up with those on my side; the reds get the 1% professionals.

It's close to my Favourite DD, almost 600 games in it now.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,932 posts
3,230 battles

Yeah, only the skilled players get them.....

Just how the hell do you [edited] that up? Guess that's why he only had a 99% chance of winning that engagement....

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,705 posts
2 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I hate Asashios. 99% of them are just dead weight on a team. I always seem to wind up with those on my side; the reds get the 1% professionals.

It is by far, my favorite DD.

[Y0L0]
Members
306 posts
10,741 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Sometimes your the seal

Sometimes your the shark

iu (24).gif

And sometimes you're the eagle :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

[--O--]
Members
297 posts

Asashio is one of my 2 favorites other being Ghost Yugo, in the right hands Asa is deadly, it's only drawback is if i play it my Karma sinks faster than a t-1 in a t-10 battle  (oh for the days of no limit tier divisions)

Members
948 posts
4,337 battles
2 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Used to be a time when you saw a flint on the enemy team's rosters, you would ponder how bad your loss was going to be...

No doubt

Edited by Strachwitz666

[WOLF3]
Members
22,496 posts
20,530 battles
3 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

1) Take a Flint and sneak up on an Asashio's smoke.

2) When the Asashio charges out of the smoke, shoot him 63 times with AP.

2A) Sail broadside to the Asashio when he kites you so he can punch holes in your cit.

Yes, this just happened....

AssyVSFlint.thumb.PNG.54c9e771d69cef93d13a8b88c98b5af5.PNGAssyVSFlint3.thumb.jpg.6e4f1f3dbe6cdc529925f2d6fdc73c6f.jpg

As a Cruiser Main, I'm actually embarrassed to even know such a thing happened for several reasons:

1.  Asashio's torps can't even damage a Cruiser, so the DD is left relying on her guns, which typically isn't a shining point for most IJN destroyers.

2.  At such close ranges and with Flint's fast turning guns with even quicker ROF, it should have been murder for the DD.

3.  The Flint user completely forgetting it's still an Atlanta-class CL with worthless armor, and at that range, even small DD guns can ravage it.

4.  You know, in years past when Flint was only available for the hardcore CB & Ranked guys, you see a Flint, you gave it a lot of respect because their drivers aren't your usual players.  But since the holidays and the Steel Monsters campaign & Snowflake event, not so much anymore.  I even remember my friend telling me about "Potato Stalingrads" since the Steel Monsters / Snowflake event :Smile_trollface:

1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah, only the skilled players get them.....

Just how the hell do you [edited] that up? Guess that's why he only had a 99% chance of winning that engagement....

In the past, when Steel was only acquired by Ranked & Clan Battles, what you said would have been true.

But do recall the Steel Monsters Campaign from the holidays.  Buy a Premium Ship (PEF) and it unlocked a campaign to do missions and earn a lot of Steel.

Secondly, during the same holiday season, there was a Snowflake event.  High Tier Tech Tree ships, play a battle, you got a bit of Steel.  Lots of Premiums, same thing, get Steel if their tier was high enough.

I never played Ranked nor Clan Battles to the point of earning Steel.  Even I ended up earning 18k Steel.  Which is enough to buy Flint.  I haven't spent any of that Steel, but I know others who have, and for sure knew they never did CB nor Ranked.

It's kind of a small joke to the competitive play guys, the guys who grinded out Stalingrad "legitimately" from Ranked & CB.  If more Potatoes can get Stalingrad, they can drive the ship's stats down and WG will buff the ship :Smile_trollface:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[NGA]
Members
1,878 posts
9,937 battles
57 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

As a Cruiser Main, I'm actually embarrassed to even know such a thing happened for several reasons:

1.  Asashio's torps can't even damage a Cruiser, so the DD is left relying on her guns, which typically isn't a shining point for most IJN destroyers.

2.  At such close ranges and with Flint's fast turning guns with even quicker ROF, it should have been murder for the DD.

3.  The Flint user completely forgetting it's still an Atlanta-class CL with worthless armor, and at that range, even small DD guns can ravage it.

4.  You know, in years past when Flint was only available for the hardcore CB & Ranked guys, you see a Flint, you gave it a lot of respect because their drivers aren't your usual players.  But since the holidays and the Steel Monsters campaign & Snowflake event, not so much anymore.  I even remember my friend telling me about "Potato Stalingrads" since the Steel Monsters / Snowflake event :Smile_trollface:

In the past, when Steel was only acquired by Ranked & Clan Battles, what you said would have been true.

But do recall the Steel Monsters Campaign from the holidays.  Buy a Premium Ship (PEF) and it unlocked a campaign to do missions and earn a lot of Steel.

Secondly, during the same holiday season, there was a Snowflake event.  High Tier Tech Tree ships, play a battle, you got a bit of Steel.  Lots of Premiums, same thing, get Steel if their tier was high enough.

I never played Ranked nor Clan Battles to the point of earning Steel.  Even I ended up earning 18k Steel.  Which is enough to buy Flint.  I haven't spent any of that Steel, but I know others who have, and for sure knew they never did CB nor Ranked.

It's kind of a small joke to the competitive play guys, the guys who grinded out Stalingrad "legitimately" from Ranked & CB.  If more Potatoes can get Stalingrad, they can drive the ship's stats down and WG will buff the ship :Smile_trollface:

You pretty much summed up how I got the Stalingrad and got a good start on going for Bourgogne. Between my Clan having a good season and all the Steel you could earn, I ended up with more Steel afterwards than I did at the start of the season despite buying Stalingrad. Of course now that I almost have enough for Bourgogne, they announce Somers is going to be a Steel ship too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another Steel New Year since that's really the only way I can make progress at collecting those particular ships at a steady rate.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
15,285 battles

Like the Spanish Inquisition, no one expects Asashio guns. :cap_rambo:

ttnnzSB.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
1,588 posts
13,494 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

3.  The Flint user completely forgetting it's still an Atlanta-class CL with worthless armor, and at that range, even small DD guns can ravage it

I just don't get it. The Flint player is a +52%er and a cruiser main with over 12k battles. He had actually played well to that point. Just getting in position showed an awareness of detection ranges and patience as @Taichunger and @ClassicLib were ~10km behind me with direct line of sight till he got close.

He didnt hydro me and he didn't drop torps into my smoke. At the time I charged out the smoke was screening him from anyone and he didnt try smoke firing me. He had to know where I was as I was actively firing on an Amagi.

It was definately a "brown moment". I hit full throttle, still firing on the Amagi,  clear the smoke, Flint less than 4km directly between me and the Amagi.

[INTEL]
Members
11,385 posts
31,838 battles
3 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

I just don't get it. The Flint player is a +52%er and a cruiser main with over 12k battles. He had actually played well to that point. Just getting in position showed an awareness of detection ranges and patience as @Taichunger and @ClassicLib were ~10km behind me with direct line of sight till he got close.

He didnt hydro me and he didn't drop torps into my smoke. At the time I charged out the smoke was screening him from anyone and he didnt try smoke firing me. He had to know where I was as I was actively firing on an Amagi.

It was definately a "brown moment". I hit full throttle, still firing on the Amagi,  clear the smoke, Flint less than 4km directly between me and the Amagi.

Yep, up to that point he had played flawlessly. I threw shells at him just before he vanished but he dodged them and then disappeared.

He might have been so frustrated with the remaining players on his crappy team that he wanted to beat you to death by main force, which is why he APed you.

He might also have thought torps would alert you to his presence. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,588 posts
13,494 battles
5 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

@Ares1967 Here's the replay.  Of note, @Taichunger scored 6 kills in this battle

I coulda sworn I had been shooting at that Amagi. I know I was expecting torps from the DD, that's why I vacated the smoke in the first place.

[INTEL]
Members
2,553 posts
13,163 battles
2 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

I coulda sworn I had been shooting at that Amagi. I know I was expecting torps from the DD, that's why I vacated the smoke in the first place.

Your smoke was expiring right as you exited it.

[INTEL]
Members
2,553 posts
13,163 battles
7 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

He certainly knew you were there, you had just sent torps past (under?) him.  He also appears to know the minimum guaranteed detect range because he was just barely outside that.

[CNO]
Members
5,189 posts
16,310 battles

Sometimes, under stress, a person forgets they have AP loaded.  Yes, the tracers are a big tell.  But I remember a ways back in my WOWS career where I did not have the experience and familiarity for the tracers to knock my brain out of the stress lock.  I don't recall doing this recently, but I am very aware of having done it in the past...and to a certain extent that past experience makes it less likely to happen to me now.

Somewhat ironically, knowing the DD couldn't torp him might have contributed to the issue.  It's a given that you pretty much gotta turn into a torp threat, which would have limited/stopped those cits.  Not fearing the torps kept him broadside.  A good learning experience for me BTW.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,633 posts
8,466 battles
11 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Agreed. That is about the only way a Flint could lose a battle against an Asashio. Couple of days ago I had a full-health Asashio surprise me in Le Terrible when I had 1/4 health and I still killed him (go, go reload booster). I escaped with ub 400 health left, but Flint should have been able to do it trivially. Asashio's guns do a lot of damage but they fire really slowly. 

Sign in to follow this