You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
paradat

Azuma or Friesland

37 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles

Hello all,

I have been grinding Free XP for the Azuma. Now that we know that Friesland will be a Free XP ship would you go for it first? I am thinking about continuing the grind and go for Friesland first. 

For context I have probably 98% of all the ships in game now. Friesland seems to be pretty unique more so than Azuma.

Thoughts?

Members
5,397 posts
3,213 battles

Dear god, Friesland. Literally any other free xp ship than Azuma. Awful ship that quickly passed the traditional torch of "no good  premiums for IJN"(besides Kamikaze) to the mediocre Yoshino.

[AAA]
Members
867 posts
10,159 battles
5 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Dear god, Friesland. Literally any other free xp ship than Azuma. Awful ship that quickly passed the traditional torch of "no good  premiums for IJN"(besides Kamikaze) to the mediocre Yoshino.

Atago would like a work. Harazake is waiting after Atago. Musashi just called and wants a word. Granted two of them are no longer available.

Members
16 posts
18 battles

I have been grinding Free XP for the Azuma. 

seriously u need a life ! Do something else IRL that is actually productive with all that time!

• Boring 4
  • Angry 2

[WOLF3]
Members
22,407 posts
20,518 battles

Azuma will have pretty good gunnery, but that 25mm armor all over the place and sky scraper citadel make her a very risky ship if you make any mistake.

I sifted through information to find references of Siegfried's armor, which is pretty darn good, and do brief comparisons with Kronshtadt, Alaska, Azuma, Yoshino.

Yoshino just barely passes solely because of her 30mm armor mid section to bounce 406mm AP, but 430mm+ will Overmatch, and she has a large Citadel.  Azuma doesn't even have the 30mm mid section that Yoshino has, and still shares the same tall Citadel.

Despite Azuma's very questionable armor scheme, her speed, gunnery at range is quite suitable for the nature of High Tier combat, IMO.  Just don't get too close where BBs can start reliably connecting.  At High Tier, lots of BBs get uncomfortably better at 15km, give or take, and some have no problems shooting at 18km or around that ballpark.

Remember in the B-65s, you are not small like Zao nor have Zao's Super Ninja Concealment to bail you out of trouble.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
5,397 posts
3,213 battles
1 minute ago, wstugamd said:

Atago would like a work. Harazake is waiting after Atago. Musashi just called and wants a word. Granted two of them are no longer available.

Atago is okay, really not that strong though. Harekaze isn't that good either, very comparable to Kagero. Musashi doesn't count, just silly slightly worse Yamato clone that they slapped at tier 9, the same way I don't count Kamikaze as a real premium. Just a premium Minekaze clone that kept it's old torps. Neither feature unique models or gameplay, and aren't even for sale anymore.

[USCC]
Members
2,708 posts
31 minutes ago, paradat said:

I am thinking about continuing the grind and go for Friesland first. 

Probably your best bet.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
3 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Probably your best bet.

Oh Nice thanks!

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
24 minutes ago, airborne410_ said:

seriously u need a life ! Do something else IRL that is actually productive with all that time!

LOL I do plenty in real life. Perhaps I should not have used the word grinding. Accumulating thru my normal gameplay would be more accurate. I do earn it fairly quickly so not in a hurry.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
22 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Atago is okay, really not that strong though. Harekaze isn't that good either, very comparable to Kagero. Musashi doesn't count, just silly slightly worse Yamato clone that they slapped at tier 9, the same way I don't count Kamikaze as a real premium. Just a premium Minekaze clone that kept it's old torps. Neither feature unique models or gameplay, and aren't even for sale anymore.

I have all three of those. Actually really like all of them. Atago is super versatile. Herekaze was one of my most played ships and one of my best games ever was in Musashi. 

[WORX]
Members
6,361 posts
16,150 battles
16 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I'm a bit torn myself, and I hate DDs. 

You will be converted to a DD player...  Let the process take hold... Become the DD driver you aspire to be... I have faith in you Elisa.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles

So looks like Friesland seems to be a no brainer. Will get Azuma later. 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
6,361 posts
16,150 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

So looks like Friesland seems to be a no brainer.

For now it is... Just as long the community tolerates what she is (more HE spam in a already saturated HE spamming tier)... Just pray the nerf bat dont hit that hard.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

For now it is... Just as long the community tolerates what she is (more HE spam in a already saturated HE spamming tier)... Just pray the nerf bat dont hit that hard.

True but if it gets caught out the thing is toast. Skilled players will love it. Not sure average joes will. 

[WORX]
Members
6,361 posts
16,150 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

True but if it gets caught out the thing is toast. Skilled players will love it. Not sure average joes will. 

Skill has nothing to do with it.. IMO, if you only love guns you'll make this DD work regardless of skill set.

It will worry me if the majority of

1. high games played  players and or
  2. No torps using players

If these guys get this ship... Oh boy! I dont see a good outcome

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Skill has nothing to do with it.. IMO, if you only love guns you'll make this DD work regardless of skill set.

It will worry me if the majority of

1. high games played  players and or
  2. No torps using players

If these guys get this ship... Oh boy! I dont see a good outcome

Not sure I take your meaning. Are you saying if those players get the ship it will be too good?

[WORX]
Members
6,361 posts
16,150 battles
4 minutes ago, paradat said:

Are you saying if those players get the ship it will be too good?

Or to annoying and will see forum threads asking for a HE spam nerf..

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Or to annoying and will see forum threads asking for a HE spam nerf..

Yeah, OK I can see that. We have been there a couple of times before. 

[AAA]
Members
867 posts
10,159 battles
56 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Atago imo is a better than tech tree cruiser due to better torp angles. Has the great IJN HE. Harazake config I use is the 100 mm guns with the Kag torp launchers and reload booster. Pretty strong dd.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
3 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

Atago imo is a better than tech tree cruiser due to better torp angles. Has the great IJN HE. Harazake config I use is the 100 mm guns with the Kag torp launchers and reload booster. Pretty strong dd.

Agreed, For Harakaze I used the same build, before CV's it was my most trollish ship. So hard to spot wall of torps and if you do catch it you are suddenly in a gun fight with an Akizuki (almost). 

Great ships. 

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
35 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Ah, but what will the Friesland be like after the IFHE changes?  Whatever one's opinion of the Azuma is, one has to acknowledge that IFHE isn't going to be an issue for her, offensively speaking.  She is what she is, and IFHE changes won't help nor hurt her guns, as I doubt that many people would bother using an IFHE captain in the Azuma.

[-OG-]
Members
160 posts
5,978 battles
1 hour ago, airborne410_ said:

He can do whatever he feels like. Don’t be his mother and tell him what to do, if he wants to spend all day and night grinding XP then let him, no need to judge him. 

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,903 posts
23,445 battles
1 hour ago, paradat said:

Hello all,

I have been grinding Free XP for the Azuma. Now that we know that Friesland will be a Free XP ship would you go for it first? I am thinking about continuing the grind and go for Friesland first. 

For context I have probably 98% of all the ships in game now. Friesland seems to be pretty unique more so than Azuma.

Thoughts?

Where did you read this?  Do you have a link?  Or at least, what's the FXP cost?  Curious minds want to know.  :Smile_glasses: