You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
edna

Hey Wargaming, why do Steam Players get cheaper Ships?

53 comments in this topic

[-TAB-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
45 posts
21,534 battles

While arguing with a clan mate  over whether or not the current " sale" of buy a ship and get two loot boxes for other ships is fair and worth it it came to my attention tehre is a thread on the EU forum about people that signed up to play World of Warships via steam got  -75% off discounts on ships during the Steam Summer Sale,  when the best that we get signed up with Wargaming.net get is around 30%

Steam players getbetter discounts

Today, i can buy a Graf Spee in teh Wargamming shop for CDN$ 29.69

that gets me a Graff spee,  and a port slot. that's it.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/5271/

Meanwhile, on Steam, a 3rd party site that is probably colecting a % from Wargamming for handling the transaction , I can get a Graff SPee for CDN$ 28.99

https://store.steampowered.com/app/845010/World_of_Warships__Admiral_Graf_Spee_Pack/

For that, i get:

This package contains:

• Admiral Graf Spee, Tier VI German Cruiser
  • 1 Port Slot
  • Doubloons: 500
  • 1 Commander with 6 skill points

Confidently steam your way across the dangerous high seas! Take home the famed German 'pocket battleship' Graf Spee, a skilled Commander for her helm, and a sprinkling of Doubloons!

Less money, more value.

Of course  it also says:

ABOUT THIS CONTENT

This DLC is not compatible with an account created outside of Steam.

So, anyone who started playing before World of Warships launched on Steam, pays more, and gets fewer sales than players that play through Steam.

Steam players get both Steam store and Wargamming premium shop too, so its not an either/or value.

How is this even remotely fair?

Why should Anyone sign up with Wargamming direct if Steam has better prices?

Why do those of us that play with wargamming directly pay more?

• Cool 6

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,862 posts
4,424 battles

Dude it’s what steam does and it is exactly why we are not allowed to link steam and wargaming accounts as wargaming would lose money. Since steam is hosting they must be paying wargaming to have these discounted sales. Of course it isn’t fair, but life is not fair in general.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Members
16 posts
18 battles

the answers, because they are American! seriously they don't really freaking care. [edited] all we want but they only care about how to make more money. steam has larger competitions so they have to lower prices, and obviously they don't care about how we feels about unequal treatment. It is a business after all

• Cool 1

[-K_P-]
Members
321 posts
2,952 battles

All those offers have been running on steam for a while (6-12 months) the extra savings was just an adder to catch some of the people they missed.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,397 posts
7,656 battles

FWIW

The In game premium shop on Steam is severely restricted - e.g. the Haida deal that steam has right now is the only way to buy Haida when in Steam.

There are dozens of ships not available via the steam version of the in game premium shop.

Edited by Anonymous50

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
6 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Dude it’s what steam does and it is exactly why we are not allowed to link steam and wargaming accounts as wargaming would lose money. Since steam is hosting they must be paying wargaming to have these discounted sales. Of course it isn’t fair, but life is not fair in general.

4 minutes ago, airborne410_ said:

the answers, because they are American! seriously they don't really freaking care. [edited] all we want but they only care about how to make more money. steam has larger competitions so they have to lower prices, and obviously they don't care about how we feels about unequal treatment. It is a business after all

This is not steam, this is Wargaming.  it is their game. THey cut the deal with Steam.  they are letting Steam charge their players less than they charge us directly.  

• Cool 2

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
3 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

FWIW

The In game premium shop on Steam is severely restricted - e.g. the Haida deal that steam has right now is the only way to buy Haida when in Steam.

There are dozens of ships not available via the steam version of the in game premium shop.

are you saying that Steam users do not have access to the wargamming premium shop at all?  or that they cannot buy the Haida in the Wargaming shop while it is available for less in the steam store?

[WOLF8]
Members
5,664 posts
5,361 battles
53 minutes ago, Crij said:

All those offers have been running on steam for a while (6-12 months) the extra savings was just an adder to catch some of the people they missed.

This. Most of the Steam bundles are actually quite old.

48 minutes ago, edna said:

are you saying that Steam users do not have access to the wargamming premium shop at all?  or that they cannot buy the Haida in the Wargaming shop while it is available for less in the steam store?

Actually, the Steam users can take their Steam-created pseudo-account, which is automatically linked to their Steam account, and "register" it at WG's official website to turn it into a proper WG account. Once done, they can use both Steam wallet for purchasing from in-game Premium Shop & the Steam DLC page (bundles), and their own payment method(s) for purchasing from WG's website Premium Shop.

Best of both worlds, if you ask me, lol.

Besides, if a Steam user wants to post in this forum, they gotta register their account anyway, lel. I'm one of such people.

Edited by Blorgh2017
  • Cool 3

[A-D-F]
5,678 posts
53 minutes ago, edna said:

This is not steam, this is Wargaming.  it is their game. THey cut the deal with Steam.  they are letting Steam charge their players less than they charge us directly.  

That's not a crime or something.  They can do that.

Different platforms run different sales all the time.

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
10 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

That's not a crime or something.  They can do that.

Different platforms run different sales all the time.

as Blorgh2017 pointed out in the post above ( right above you )     people who play via steam get access to ships for less money and more value than those of us that play direct.   Steam players get the Steam discounts and whatever wargaming sells in their store. 

Non-Steam players do not get access to those cheaper ships, ever. 

this isn't a one time new player bonus promotion, these are items all World of Warships players can buy, but teh Steam players buy them for less.

it isn't a crime, but why can't i we all get that deal?

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
5,678 posts
7 minutes ago, edna said:

as Blorgh2017 pointed out in the post above ( right above you )     people who play via steam get access to ships for less money and more value than those of us that play direct.   Steam players get the Steam discounts and whatever wargaming sells in their store. 

Non-Steam players do not get access to those cheaper ships, ever. 

this isn't a one time new player bonus promotion, these are items all World of Warships players can buy, but teh Steam players buy them for less.

I dunno.  For all we know, Steam wants the business and are paying WG the difference. 

Sometimes one store has a sale on an item but it is slightly more expensive at a different store owned by a different company. It's very likely that the same product in each store, came from the same exact source.  I don't call up both of them demanding to know why.

• Cool 1

[-OG-]
Members
162 posts
5,985 battles

Fairness and business don’t mix. WG is a business, we want fairness but they own everything therefore they can do whatever they want. Honestly WG isn’t going to do jack about this so if you want these deals you’ll have to creat an account through steam.

• Boring 1

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I dunno.  For all we know, Steam wants the business and are paying WG the difference. 

Sometimes one store has a sale on an item but it is slightly more expensive at a different store owned by a different company. It's very likely that the same product in each store, came from the same exact source.  I don't call up both of them demanding to know why.

Internet pixel boats aren't the same as a physical object.  Steam is not buying ships at wholesale and marking them up, and putting them on sale to clear their inventory.

some other shop may sell at a different privce and that would be fine, if i was also allowed to buy it from that shop at that price,  But i can't  and that is the problem.

[WOLF8]
Members
5,664 posts
5,361 battles
14 minutes ago, edna said:

If you ask me, it's because Steam is a completely different platform, which is not controlled by WG, and has tons of variety of different games that are all competing for players' attention and wallet. So WG might want to offer something extra to... "entice" (lol) some of them? I donno, lel.

8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Isn't it other way around? WG wants to put their game on Steam, and gotta give a "cut" to Valve.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[A-D-F]
5,678 posts
Just now, edna said:

Internet pixel boats aren't the same as a physical object.  Steam is not buying ships at wholesale and marking them up, and putting them on sale to clear their inventory.

It's still the product that WG makes their money on.  The business practice of one vendor marking down a product and not another, is by no means a "new" thing.  It isn't different.

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It's still the product that WG makes their money on.  The business practice of one vendor marking down a product and not another, is by no means a "new" thing.  It isn't different.

Can you give an example?

[A-D-F]
5,678 posts
31 minutes ago, edna said:

Can you give an example?

I already did.

Business A and Busniess B both get product X from the same source. Busniess A charges $9.99 for product X.  Business B charges $10.99 for product X.

This happens all over the place, every day.  If X happens to be a digital item, it makes no difference. 

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I already did.

Business A and Busniess B both get product X from the same source. Busniess A charges $9.99 for product X.  Business B charges $10.99 for product X.

This happens all over the place, every day.  If X happens to be a digital item, it makes no difference. 

and your example is wrong.

what is happens is Business A has a product.

Business B licenses the right to sell that product for Business A

Customers of Business B get 100% access to Business A products directly as well as cheaper versions of Business A products.

Customers of Business A get 0% access to Business B's discounted Business A product.

Your example assumes that all things being equal you can buy from whoever you like.  You can't.  If you're a Steam user you get access to two stores of warships, 2 sets of sales and discounts, 2 sets of promos

if you did not sign up in Steam you get none of those things.

Imagine a grocery store where the cashier line next to yours is selling stuff at 20% off, and you can't that discount, and you can't get out of the line you're in.  that is the difference here. 

If i could buy from Steam for less than wargaming sells i would have no problem.  Steam users get a discount i do not get, and can not get.  That is ridiculous.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
5,678 posts
13 minutes ago, edna said:

and your example is wrong.

what is happens is Business A has a product.

Business B licenses the right to sell that product for Business A

Customers of Business B get 100% access to Business A products directly as well as cheaper versions of Business A products.

Customers of Business A get 0% access to Business B's discounted Business A product.

Your example assumes that all things being equal you can buy from whoever you like.  You can't.  If you're a Steam user you get access to two stores of warships, 2 sets of sales and discounts, 2 sets of promos

if you did not sign up in Steam you get none of those things.

Imagine a grocery store where the cashier line next to yours is selling stuff at 20% off, and you can't that discount, and you can't get out of the line you're in.  that is the difference here. 

If i could buy from Steam for less than wargaming sells i would have no problem.  Steam users get a discount i do not get, and can not get.  That is ridiculous.

There is nothing stopping you from signing up for a steam account.  If Costco has the best price in town on widgets, I can't have that price, unless I sign up and create an account at Costco.

I am sure there are plenty of times when Steam and some other platform, say GoG or something, have had different prices for the same digital download video game.  I am also sure that the same digital download song on iTunes, Google Play and Amazon, have had different prices at the same time.

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
14 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

There is nothing stopping you from signing up for a steam account.  If Costco has the best price in town on widgets, I can't have that price, unless I sign up and create an account at Costco.

I am sure there are plenty of times when Steam and some other platform, say GoG or something, have had different prices for the same digital download video game.  I am also sure that the same digital download song on iTunes, Google Play and Amazon, have had different prices at the same time.

Is your argument  it is totally fine that one group of players pays less for ships and get access to more and steeper discounts ( See original post, 75% off in some cases) than another group does for the same game?

Why should i have more than one account?  Steam users don't need to.  we're all swimming in the same pool

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
5,678 posts
5 minutes ago, edna said:

Am i using too big words?  are you a steam user or just have nothign better to do than argue it is totally fine that one group of players pays less for ships and get access to more and steeper discounts ( See original post, 75% off in some cases) than another group does for the same game?

Why should i have more than one account?  Steam users don't need to.  we're all swimming in the same pool

I am not a steam user (for this game).  This is just how business works sometimes.  Some stores sell a product cheaper than other stores.  If you want the cheaper price, you have to shop at that store.

Now granted it sucks that we as non steam users can't get the ship cheaper with our non steam accounts, but that just proves that we are not in fact, in the same pool.

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I am not a steam user (for this game).  This is just how business works sometimes.  Some stores sell a product cheaper than other stores.  If you want the cheaper price, you have to shop at that store.

Now granted it sucks that we as non steam users can't get the ship cheaper with our non steam accounts, but that just proves that we are not in fact, in the same pool.

but we are in the same pool, that is the issue  Warships is a "Service".  Steam users can go through steam  or direct to wargaming,  Steam gives them advantages.  If we could connect to steam  there wouldn't be an issue.

[A-D-F]
5,678 posts
9 minutes ago, edna said:

but we are in the same pool, that is the issue 

We clearly, are not.  Some games allow PC users and console users to play together, but they paid different prices for the same game.

This is like standing outside of Costco and being upset because they have cheaper prices on an item but you can't buy it because you are not a member. 

Some stores offer incentive to members.  Those incentives do not apply to non members.

Some platforms offer incentives to be members on that platform.  We are not on that platform. 

For all we know WG struck up a deal with Steam and only Steam, to offer that ship at that price.  This is not an uncommon practice in the gaming industry, or any really.

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
45 posts
21,534 battles
9 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

We clearly, are not.

This is like standing outside of Costco and being upset because they have cheaper prices on an item but you can't buy it because you are not a member. 

Some stores offer incentive to members.  Those incentives do not apply to non members.

Some platforms offer incentives to be members on that platform.  We are not on that platform. 

For all we know WG struck up a deal with Steam and only Steam, to offer that ship at that price.  This is not an uncommon practice in the gaming industry, or any really.

but, no :)  that is not whats happening

We are all members of thsame Costco,  just some peopel get better prices because the first door they went in was different than the one you went through :)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,017 battles
17 minutes ago, edna said:

but we are in the same pool, that is the issue  Warships is a "Service".  Steam users can go through steam  or direct to wargaming,  Steam gives them advantages.  If we could connect to steam  there wouldn't be an issue.

Just don't spend money, it is simple. If Wargaming does not want to honor it's own prices across the two "platforms", then ignore them and keep your money in your pocket. Course there is no harm in asking in the forums, not sure why some posters feel a need to defend Wargaming on this. Price matching, especially within a named corporation, is something that is done in most businesses in the West. Maybe it isn't common in Russia/Belarus/Cyprus which would be understandable since an actual free market is still quite new there. Customer satisfaction does not seem to be a Wargaming goal looking at their marketing strategy, only the quick sale. It is something we in the West have grown out of with marketing focused on not only customer satisfaction, but building relationships, name recognition, and standing behind product. With the Eastern countries still new to capitalism, they haven't quite gotten a grasp on how to do much else then the hard pitch with focus on high pressure sales tactics that we tend to associate with low quality goods and shady businesses.  IMHO it isn't something they do out of malice, just immaturity and inexperience with modern western marketing strategy.

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1