You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skuggsja

More and More Passive...

110 comments in this topic

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,204 posts
20,702 battles

Is it just me, and it could be confirmation bias, or are the majority of players growing even more passive?

In my own experience, my ranked sprint teams especially but also randoms, I've seen more ships not moving forward, camping islands that shouldnt be camped, and just not moving forward.

It's like the meta has slowed down even more than before. I have to say I hate it. I like the games somewhat slower pace compared to other online games but if people are playing like this, it's just going too slow. Some players arent even participating in battles it seems.

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe noticing even more passive players than ever before? Noticed a shift in the meta to even slower, less aggressive play?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[-K-]
Members
7,317 posts
12,015 battles

The game has always been pretty passive, and even more so the higher the tiers you climb.

But CVs and omnipresent radar tend to just reinforce it more nowadays.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[REVY]
Members
1,662 posts
10,545 battles

my problem in the past is that I have been too aggressive, and as a result, got deleted early.

I have learned over time when to be aggressive and when to play more passive. Now I might still get caught out on occasion and get deleted quickly, but it is not as frequent.

There are alot of newer ships out there, and skilled captains, that can punish a ship caught out of position. This is more so in the higher tiers.

They have also introduced a couple of ships (Azuma, Yoshino) who are long range kiters, and are too soft to get in close. Now adding in the CV issues, you no longer have that long reach of a CV to help spot out the enemy teams. You are now relying only on DDs for spotting, who may or may not push in depending on the support behind them. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles
9 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Is it just me, and it could be confirmation bias, or are the majority of players growing even more passive?

In my own experience, my ranked sprint teams especially but also randoms, I've seen more ships not moving forward, camping islands that shouldnt be camped, and just not moving forward.

It's like the meta has slowed down even more than before. I have to say I hate it. I like the games somewhat slower pace compared to other online games but if people are playing like this, it's just going too slow. Some players arent even participating in battles it seems.

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe noticing even more passive players than ever before? Noticed a shift in the meta to even slower, less aggressive play?

The problem you have is the scrubby players have found themselves in the higher tiers now or have bought their way into them, they have no clue so they sit back waiting for others to win it.

This will be a growing trend as more and more potatoes make their way up there

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
4,177 posts
1,622 battles
20 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

It's getting slower and slower, yes.

3 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

The problem you have is the scrubby players have found themselves in the higher tiers now or have bought their way into them, they have no clue so they sit back waiting for others to win it.

This will be a growing trend as more and more potatoes make their way up there

Not so.

Watch clan battles and tournaments at tier 10. They are all camp fests.

That is the game played at the HIGHEST LEVEL, and the best play is to hide behind islands and concealment and win battles by exploiting mistakes.

This is a function of the development team from WG. It has little to do with player inability.

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
3,326 posts
13,078 battles
2 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It has little to do with player inability.

You are wrong

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[KNMSU]
Members
6,824 posts
7,440 battles

People still play pretty aggressively up to about tier 6/7. It's a sad commentary on the effectiveness of late-game CVs, destroyers, and radar that this triad basically devolves the game into an exercise in timidity at what is supposed to be the highest level.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Members
276 posts

I've noticed it. For various and sundry reasons, I've been playing once every three days or so (it's summer...want to be outside!!) and even over the last week it's more and more a camp fest.

And frankly? Your choices are camp along with them or get deleted first - and that's why it's a camp fest. First player spotted? All the guns in range point at them. If you can get a group to push, you might get something done, but if they're camping, your choices are camp or die. 

I honestly don't think it's a fixable problem other than to get rid of islands, but then the game devolves to battleships firing at max range. 

[5BS]
Members
8,554 posts
13 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

The game has always been pretty passive, and even more so the higher the tiers you climb.

If you review old replay's it has gotten much worse. Whereas the lemming trains of 2017 primarily focused on 'everyone circle to the left,' yes it was cowardly behavior, but everyone KEPT moving, now, inevitably, one team moves to one location in on a map, and circles in that spot until they are all picked off 1 by 1. The old way at least ensured everyone was moving and less torpedo bait.

[-K-]
Members
7,317 posts
12,015 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

If you review old replay's it has gotten much worse. Whereas the lemming trains of 2017 primarily focused on 'everyone circle to the left,' yes it was cowardly behavior, but everyone KEPT moving, now, inevitably, one team moves to one location in on a map, and circles in that spot until they are all picked off 1 by 1. The old way at least ensured everyone was moving and less torpedo bait.

True.  Which explains why the Russian BB line was geared towards close quarters combat.  Now whether its effective or not is up for debate.

[SAINT]
Members
719 posts
14,058 battles

It was funny you said this about players not pushing because that's how I skated through the last two sprint seasons so easily. I just took my cruiser up into the epicenter with the destroyers, supported them and provided cover, deleted the enemy destroyers and almost always won. The other team didn't push and once the enemy DDs were gone we just burned them down. 

As far as the upper tiers go I usually don't play above Tier 7 anymore as anything higher is just too slow. Or my Tier 8 just keeps getting thrown into Tier 10 matches which forces me to slow down and yeah, no thanks. 

Image result for winning dog meme

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
276 posts
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

True.  Which explains why the Russian BB line was geared towards close quarters combat.  Now whether its effective or not is up for debate.

The problem with them is you have to move straight in, flanking fire is devastating to the Russian BBs. Which means if you spawn in the middle, you camp or you get flanked and die moving up. End result? Camping. 

I don't know the fix. Camping may not be a winning strategy (though clans using it implies they've not found a better one) but to the individual player, it's a not-getting-deleted strategy. 

Members
276 posts

Hmm. Look at the savage battle, which is explicitly built to feed the twitch happy  eliminate camping. You have to move to get supplies, and if you camp in the back you end up out of the safe circle and die. 

Members
80 posts
2,843 battles

It really became more pronounced with the CV rework, and just hasn't diminished as CVs have. A higher % of players just seem terrified of being shot at, and don't have the skills to dodge or protect thier citadels when they are shot at. I'm convinced the CV rework lost us a huge number of skilled players who had enough. This is the player base we are left with. Fortunately there are certain ships and ways to force the issue, but its a sad state of affairs right now.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
118 posts
12,362 battles

Every Sinop in Ranked Sprint was suddenly a bow camping, island hugging Minotaur in drag.  Save a star mode was on the second the match started.....

NT

[TDRB]
Members
3,323 posts
10,215 battles
49 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Aggressive play can get you deleted much quicker than passive play. People tend to be more careful to when they push. This is a sign they are learning the game. One thing you should remember is a team is actually 12 individuals, not a team that has train to function as a single unit. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
7,317 posts
12,015 battles
20 minutes ago, User_the_n00b said:

Hmm. Look at the savage battle, which is explicitly built to feed the twitch happy  eliminate camping. You have to move to get supplies, and if you camp in the back you end up out of the safe circle and die. 

T9 Arms Race mode Ranked from a couple seasons ago was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in a normal (non-Sprint) Ranked format.  The close quarter engagements made it very enjoyable.

• Cool 1

[187]
Members
1,625 posts
9,511 battles
32 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

It sure seems like they are...my whole clan wants to get me in them because of my playstyle is aggressive....I must say they seem like I'm going up against German Tiger Tanks II they are solid tanks...little too OP possibly but I LIKE the challenge they present.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,304 posts
11,640 battles

Camping has been getting worse, mostly because players will not move up to support teammates.

BB's hang back because it gets old being turned into a seaborne bonfire by cruisers you can't shoot at.

Cruisers stay back because it's easier and safer to hide and farm damage on BB's. Moving up to support a DD can result in being deleted by a BB.

DD's stop moving up because they've been hung out to dry way too often.

CV's actually can help this because, you can minimise the effect of a CV by making the match shorter. Also, sitting stationary next to an island makes you an easy target for air dropped torpedoes. However,  people blame the CV's for their existing passive habits.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,624 posts
6,979 battles

Honestly I have noticed the exact opposite problem.  Lately players have become suicidally aggressive and die too quickly, leading to an alarming amount of steamroll victories where one team is zeroed out in a matter of minutes.  In all my years playing this game, I don't think I've ever seen so many battles being decided by one team hitting zero points as I have in recent times.

The other day I won a battle in in the Kremlin that lasted under 5 minutes(that's no exaggeration, time spent in battle was around 4:50 +/-), and I finished third on the team with only 49k damage.  One of my div mates in a Stalingrad managed to finish 2nd on the team with 38k damage.  Just let that sink in.....38k damage in a Stalingrad somehow being worth second place on the team in a victory.  Every single ship on the opposing team scored less than 400 base XP.....at Tier 10.

Sure that's just anecdotal evidence and one of the more extreme examples, but it is far from an uncommon occurrence. 

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 3

[CNO]
Members
5,175 posts
16,274 battles
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

Had a great "in your face" game last night.  Took my GK with two supporting CAs to a cap...planted my bow in the cap...and tanked for my entire game.  Nonstop mid to close range engagement.  I eventually had to back out...and my CA friends succumbed after a good scrap...as did I.  But we held a superior force up long enough, and returned equal or better damage, allowing our friends to sweep the other two caps and and then fall on the enemy's flank FTW.

That said, passivity sometimes can't be avoided.  Can't yolo if you want to win.  I couldn't have bow tanked for most of the game without those two supporting CAs.  And I communicated with them at game beginning to give them my intentions...that I would push the cap unless outnumbered.  Well, we were outnumbered...but I was still able to stick my nose in and be a complete PITA.

And as for our other flank, I'm thankful my team didn't decide to passively engage an inferior opponent.  They pushed their advantage while we held on by our teeth at our flank.  So by the time my flank fell, the stage was set for our team to sweep 'em...and they did.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[GOB]
Members
889 posts
12 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Camping has been getting worse, mostly because players will not move up to support teammates.

BB's hang back because it gets old being turned into a seaborne bonfire by cruisers you can't shoot at.

Cruisers stay back because it's easier and safer to hide and farm damage on BB's. Moving up to support a DD can result in being deleted by a BB.

DD's stop moving up because they've been hung out to dry way too often.

CV's actually can help this because, you can minimise the effect of a CV by making the match shorter. Also, sitting stationary next to an island makes you an easy target for air dropped torpedoes. However,  people blame the CV's for their existing passive habits.

THIS!!!!!!!!     ( I ran out of Positive Emojis )

[TARK]
Members
4,177 posts
1,622 battles
1 hour ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

You are wrong

Go watch the King of the Sea and top clan tournaments.

Both teams go for set piece positions and camp snipe each other until an advantage is gained for the push.

The battle STARTS as a camp fest. Its step 1.

The player skill problem comes when identifying when to initiate step 2, push advantage.

[WOLFG]
Members
24,790 posts
6,122 battles
44 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

It's like people are so scared of moving up and being focussed, they don't realise that if somebody else moves up and gets focussed, they can move up and get more or less free shots.

The BBs have to expose themselves to focus fire first though IMO, because anything else won't last long enough to provide those free shots.

• Cool 1