You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Savage Battles: a question and a remark.

15 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
15,204 posts
9,959 battles

Question: What are the strengths of the Carnal? She seems all liability, no assets. What am I missing with this ship?

Remark: I would very much like it if the four teams could have been shown differently-coloured on the minimap. It would be nice to be able to glance at it and see which of the reds were trying to kill each other as well as me. The indicator above the ship name is not easy for me to discern.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
7,345 posts
12,032 battles

All of the "hybrid" ships (Carnal, Lancet, Rumble) all seem pretty mediocre to me.  After unlocking all 9 of the ships, I found the hybrids to be the least enjoyable by far.  Very limited torp range combined with no functional guns made for a very bland play experience for me.

The 3-star torp boat Stealthedo and the 3-star gunboat Seascythe are much, much more enjoyable experiences.

[WAG]
Members
857 posts
11,471 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Remark: I would very much like it if the four teams could have been shown differently-coloured on the minimap. It would be nice to be able to glance at it and see which of the reds were trying to kill each other as well as me. The indicator above the ship name is not easy for me to discern.

I am mixed on this. I'm npt sure if this was done to simplify programming, or to add a Fog of War element, so you don't know if you are facing a 3 single players or a team of 3 when it is 1v3.

[5IN]
Members
306 posts
21,970 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Question: What are the strengths of the Carnal? She seems all liability, no assets. What am I missing with this ship?

The Strengths of the Carnal are to bait out the stronger enemy ships and let them chase you till you die to give the other two players on your team a chance to compete for Consumables and get kills, LOL now the Rumble which is worth the grind has the best torp angles launchers on both sides of the ship and a torpedo reload booster that does what it is supposed to.  The Carnal is just painful 

I agree with your remark about being able to tell which ships are a team by pressing TAB or something instead of the surprise of going for a heal when it is 4 vs 1 and seeing all the same color star and realizing its you against the world LOL 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,204 posts
9,959 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

All of the "hybrid" ships (Carnal, Lancet, Rumble) all seem pretty mediocre to me.  After unlocking all 9 of the ships, I found the hybrids to be the least enjoyable by far.  Very limited torp range combined with no functional guns made for a very bland play experience for me.

The 3-star torp boat Stealthedo and the 3-star gunboat Seascythe are much, much more enjoyable experiences.

Even the Sea Devil and the Mizu-Jet are far superior to the Tier 1's. I admit I left grinding in Savage Battles far too late, probably because I was intent on milking everything I could from the 200% period to advance my tech-tree grinds. As with the Space Battles, it didn't click for me at first, and starting out with no consumables at all made things worse here. Once I forced myself to it, though, I started to get the hang of it. My win rate is still miserable, but my kill rate has gone way up.

As things stand, I've got just two Rogue Wave missions I need to finish (20K FXP, 5 million tanked damage) before I switch to co-op for the kills and ribbons to grab the Hill, so I probably won't get the Level 3 ships before it's all over. This is probably going to cost me most of my remaining Ouroboros flags, but it's worth it to grab a premium ship (even if it is a T5; no, I am not going for the Benham). IF and only if I have some time at the end, once the Hill is mine, I might go back and spam some more Savage Battle games to grab as much elite captain XP as I can in a fast-paced meta.

[-K-]
Members
7,345 posts
12,032 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My win rate is still miserable, but my kill rate has gone way up.

You'll have a lot more fun when you stop caring so much about winning Savage Battles and just have fun in them.  Compared to regular gameplay, it doesn't bother me much at all to lose a Savage Battle game, as long as I pulled my weight for my team.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,825 posts
3,795 battles

The carnal's purpose is to lead to the Rumble (the best tier 3 by far)

But in all seriousness, it is a great brawler. Good turning circles and acceleration help the whole eel line brawl very efficiently. They also get the best consumables of the bunch (speed boost and torp reload). I know in Rumble I can charge any ship and know I will win:cap_rambo:

Totally agree with the remark, along with differerent torpedo colors. I get that there is supposed to be uncertainty as to who is on which team, but torpedo colors would help know who is where and what's shooting you. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,204 posts
9,959 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

You'll have a lot more fun when you stop caring so much about winning Savage Battles and just have fun in them. 

Oh for sure. I think there were some SB missions that included wins in the first couple of directives, but I played both of those out in normal modes anyway, and nothing that remains requires a victory. The only reason I hate losing these things time and again is that it makes farming the Dailies difficult, and a win brings a lot more FXP if I'm carrying flags. 

[WHS]
Members
303 posts
9,754 battles

The point of that line is that they turn and accelerate faster than the others, it's a bit closer to the space battle DDs experience but not quite. Carnal and Lancet are more or less than same thing and just random garbage you need to power through in order to reach the real prize at the end which is the Rumble.

As a side note, I just found out yesterday about those battles, at least on the 3-star ships (I haven't played the others since unlocking these and I won't), they have full TX service cost. Have fun if you're not running premium account 👍 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,204 posts
9,959 battles
3 minutes ago, ElvenRed said:

As a side note, I just found out yesterday about those battles, at least on the 3-star ships (I haven't played the others since unlocking these and I won't), they have full TX service cost. Have fun if you're not running premium account 

I AM running a premium account, and the Level 2 service costs are bad enough. It's a good thing the money missions count gross earnings before deductions, or this grind would be going nowhere fast.

If I get to one of the Level 3's before I'm done with the whole deal I might play a battle or two to see what they're like, but after I finish the FXP and potential-damage-soaking tasks I'm heading back to co-op for easy kills and ribbons to get the Hill. After that, I'll probably have a couple of days to chill in low tiers while I wait for the French event directives to open up. If there's any time left between picking up the Hill and the event ships going away I might spam the Carnal-class line a bit for ECXP and giggles, but I have three 19 pointers of my own and I'm not as dependent on this event for ECXP generation as some people.

[WOLF9]
Members
156 posts
6,936 battles
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

You'll have a lot more fun when you stop caring so much about winning Savage Battles and just have fun in them. 

I second that remark.   Savage is just fun.  I think it has a lot to do with the smaller team sizes and the speed of the battles.  Doesn't hurt that I run almost exclusively with 1 or 2 clan mates.  Win or lose I'm having fun.  (Though we have a much better win rate when div'ed).  Whereas I'm not sure if this battle type should be around full time, I would love to see it recur on a regular basis.

Abbye

[PPFV]
Members
286 posts
6 hours ago, ElvenRed said:

The point of that line is that they turn and accelerate faster than the others, it's a bit closer to the space battle DDs experience but not quite. Carnal and Lancet are more or less than same thing and just random garbage you need to power through in order to reach the real prize at the end which is the Rumble.

The Lancet is much, much better than the Carnal, provided you have the torpedo reloader consumable. The Lancet gimmick is that the torpedo reloader is almost instant, meaning you can fire off your torps, then pretty much immediately fire off another two salvos. It makes you unpredictable, and I have killed many, many people who got cocky after they dodged my first two salvos just to catch my next two a second later.

The Carnal, however, is a garbage ship. I suppose it's nimble and can do the same trick as the Lancet, albeit not as well, but it's definitely the worst of the one star ships.

Edited by Hermetica

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,949 posts
13,865 battles

For me I just try to get thru the battle as fast as possible lol. 

[PPFV]
Members
286 posts
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unrelated: You were my teammate when I got my final directive fire (and my final win needed for the daily chain). Cheers!

[ARGSY]
Members
15,204 posts
9,959 battles
3 hours ago, Hermetica said:

Unrelated: You were my teammate when I got my final directive fire (and my final win needed for the daily chain). Cheers!

:Smile_honoring:

I finished the damn Hill grind tonight, so maybe I can enjoy this thing now without any performance pressure. Not even trying for the Benham.