BrushWolf

Fifty Years Ago

9 comments in this topic

[GWG]
Supertester
22,777 posts
12,773 battles

Apollo 11.

In hind sight I am amazed it got off the ground carrying the three sets of great big brass ones.

Edit: I feel old as I remember this.

• Cool 3

[VW]
Members
3,197 posts
16,229 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Apollo 11.

In hind sight I am amazed it got off the ground carrying the three sets of great big brass ones.

For me the most melancholic idea is that 50 years later i’m not sure it could be repeated (currently we cant even get people to the space station).

[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,003 battles

In before someone calls farce.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,084 posts
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Apollo 11.

Shoot I remember the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show so don't feel bad... also JFK's assassination too... 

I remember being concerned for them on the way up: will they make it up and out of the atmosphere safely? Then as the mission time ticked on, I started fretting about something going wrong with boosters/engines on their approach to the moon - as if anything went wrong they'd miss their target for an orbit and a) tumble out into space forever or b) bore an impact crater on the moon's surface. 

As they approached for final touchdown I was very keen to see if they just kept sinking, sinking, sinking from tens of feet of shattered debris from meteor impacts. Nobody was absolutely sure they wouldn't. 

It was an amazing thing to watch live. The entire world - that part of it with a television - watched it. Everyone stateside was glued to their TV when an Ohio man made his speech. 

What an accomplishment. 

[GWG]
Alpha Tester
398 posts
7,883 battles
10 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Would give almost anything to personally witness a Saturn V launch...

same here, watched Apollo on tv, did manage to see 2 shuttle launches, 1 at night