Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Account Logistics. The basics for new players. #HowtoGrind

10 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Members
3,131 posts
12,658 battles

This was a response to a PM I had this evening.  I figured it might help more than the recipient.  Please feel free to add any tips or tricks that made your account progress easier/faster/better.  I will eventually refer players with these sorts of questions to this thread.

On to my response.

I would just focus one account if you dont have what you need.  One account means you consolidate your limited time/resources so you can use them more effectively.

Each ship is like a tool in your tool box.  They are the correct implement to use in a particular situation.

The Russian Grozovoy line is quite strong and should be part of every DD mains tool box.  You dont need to keep everything if you are willing to rebuy lower tier ships you believe you will use for ranked etc.  You can move the captain back too.  I used this a lot when juggling T8 and T10 competitions for about a year, until I could implement my long term plan.  Specifically the plan was first to provide everything I needed to compete at the highest levels, second to reduce IRL cash expenditures as much as possible.

The long term plan was to keep all DDs at common ranked and other competitive tiers (Tiers 6,7,8 and 10), and eventually grind up captains for each ship using ECXP from my T10 ships with 19 point captains.  I "invested" into premium T10 camos (basically makes a T10 tech tree ship a T8 premium ship credit wise) on those ships so I could grind credits at the same time I ground XP.  It was a huge time saver.

Captains are the real back breaker.  I'm mostly at all 19 point captains on my DDs and CAs now, but its taken almost two years of very aggressive use of ECXP and FXP to get here.  

Probably the most effective way to grind the line is this:

1.  Buy bulk port and barracks slots when on sale.  For me I keep a minimum 24 open slots for each to make sure I have room to expand into a new line without needing to buy slots at full price.  Obviously you dont need that much, buy what you think you need when they are cheap.

2.  Grind the line.  I suggest you use a captain and hop them up each ship to T10.  Do not sell ships you intend to keep, you lose lots of credits this way.  Its better to leave the ship without a captain.  This leaves you with a decent captain at T10.  At this point you start staffing the ships with captains, you IMO need a minimum 10 point captain on all DDs, some might be 12 points for low/mid tier Russian DDs since you need EM.  The good news is you can level these captains at your convenience with ECXP and FXP to get them where you want them.  If you need a particular ship before the final captain is ready just move the T10 captain down, and pay the cash/XP to train it.

3.  Final fitting out.  When a ship is going to be used for a competitive mode, I do a final fit out, meaning I buy everything I could possibly want for the ship and mount it.  For example you want to use a German and a Russian DD in a ranked season, the German could probably benefit from the hydro duration upgrade, the Russian the extended engine boost upgrade.  Never let coupons go to waste, try to never pay full price.  Buy it and stock it, move it if you dont have the coal to where you need it.  You can get a large performance advantage over others that do not take this step.

4.  Grinding to finish.  I was horrible about this for years.  I horded everything, not even using combat signals including det flags in randoms.  I had thousands of EVERYTHING.  Hording doesnt get you crap.  Combat signals further improve your economy as you light more fires/floodings, live longer, etc.  More damage equals more rewards.  Always try to save time.  Combine you camos, your signals etc to get the most bang for your time.  Focus one thing at a time doesnt matter if its EXCP, FXP or credits.  Use as many as you can together to get the most out of each game.  Here it important to have 19 point captains first and foremost on ships you love to play every day.  Rake in that ECXP.

Regrading finishing captains, I tended to level in phases.  First phase was to get a minimum level captain to make the ship to work.  Again this is ship specific but its usually 10 to 12 points.  I would read or try to predict what tier the next competitive mode would be at, and the ship I probably wanted to take and focus on finishing it.  This would often be a month or more out.  I would level the ship to 13 to 15 points (usually a second 3 or 4 point skill) further improving its efficiency against players I will face.  Diminishing returns being what they are, it takes a lot to finish the last few points.  I would often select a back up ship and boost to that same level.  The third phase is boosting the ships one at a time to 16 to 18 points depending on the build.  Finally I would finish the captain off.  This path kept me with two solid ships ready for for use before I needed them.

Here I should note how nice CB is in speeding up this grind.  Early in the season before everything is try hard, I can easily make 600k ECXP per night (usually my most used resource).  One night was an 18th and 19th point.  It is huge.  It would take me weeks to do this in randoms.  Clan up and get into it.  I did the math a while back and you basically needed roughly a sub 40% WR for CB to be a bad deal compared to randoms.  While I have not look the last three seasons, I have not seen any team that tried actually lose enough that CB was a net loss.  CB is not just for elites, get out and enjoy the game as it really is meant to be played, with comms, team strategy, etc.  Its a completely different and more exciting game IMO.  The rewards are amazing, and lots of clans are always looking for players.

I hope this helps.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,643 posts
7,278 battles

What I do:

Narai, narai, narai, narai, narai, narai, aegis, narai, narai, narai, killer whale, narai, narai......

Easy multimillionaire of free xp and captain xp.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,033 posts
21,550 battles

Generally good advice.

(-)

We'll just have to agree to disagree about Clan Battles.

Nothing about them interests me in any way.

[VW]
Members
3,215 posts
16,272 battles

A key advice for the neophyte is play space mode/savage battles etc! Why? Because the captains are all 19pt therefore it is a de facto ECXP grind. I got my first 19 pt captain thanks in large part to the first space mode. Level up special captains first (john doe, nimitz, yamamoto, etc.).

Also maximize premium time: play as much as you can when you have it, also load camos, dragon flags and regular flags to take advantage of the extra cash and xp you can get. The difference is astounding, you can level up a ship in 10 games playing this way.

Also, remember you can speed the training of new captains by putting them in a premium ship. This is something WG did a horrible job of explaining: there is no penalty to move a captain from a tech tree ship to a premium ship, same for moving him back to the aforementioned ship. This way you dont waste time playing with his skills off.

final point: get a premium ship (tier 5 min) as soon as you can. This can obviously be free: see hill. These ships earn more xp/cash and if you find one you like you can grind in it while at the same time leveling up your captain. Ideally this ship should be of the class you play most.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 2

[NAM-5]
Members
35 posts
2,485 battles

Kuro! I'm a big fan! I no longer run RPF on my  German Destroyers. lol

All you do is post awesome, instructive videos and post topics like this which really helps out the new players in the community, like myself. 

This was a great read! Thank you! I will be forwarding this to my friends and clan mates. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,130 posts
9,895 battles

Excellent advice, @Destroyer_KuroshioKai. The only criticism I have is that some of it is not going to go down as well with the free-to-play crowd, and by this I mean the ones who cannot afford - or are not allowed by their parents - to put money into the game. Others are lone wolves, or through the quirks of a broad continent with multiple timezones are in bed by the time their clanmates are ready to go play. 

For those who are obliged to be free-to-play or choose to be (something I was for the first 9 months), I would add the following:

1) Play to win as many premium ships and permacamos (specifically permacamos for tech tree ships) as you can in as many nations as possible, at any tier. Even if they suck rabid alpaca gonads, a premium is still a premium and every little bit of XP you can milk from them counts. The Armory has quite a few premiums across many tiers for coal, and some of them (e.g. Charleston, Yubari, Campbeltown) are in the reach of, and useful to, beginning players who are building up a broad-based fleet (something else I would encourage; play as many ship types as you possibly can) and thus spending extended time at lower tiers. Save your ship coupons for the high-tier stuff if you can, but don't be afraid to blow it on something like an Aigle or Okt Rev if you're still at low tier, you have the coal, and it's about to expire. Now that the French destroyers and Russian battleships are either here or immediately pending, those two ships are now a lot more useful than they were (even if the Aigle is the odd-man-out through having smoke while the other French destroyers don't).

2) Try to get your hands on special-event captains whenever they are offered; for tokens, coal, or what-have-you, even if they are Anime, Space, or bone-ugly. Every 10-point captain that you can "buy" (in the broadest sense) is 183,000 (E)CXP you don't have to find or grind to train it up from scratch, and ten of those = 19 points and change. Jack Dunkirk and Jean-Jacques Honore are both available from coal-crate collections; John Doe, Viktor Znameskiy and one of the Von Jutland brothers are all directly available for coal. If you have T8 ships, you can get Halsey and Yamamoto at 15 points each, and the Honourable Service campaign brings an 11 point captain with the Shinonome. Kuznetsov from the recent Russian campaign will eventually be for coal, and there is a French special commander coming soon. There are eight 10-point apocalypse captains available right now if you have enough credits, and other novelty captains are frequently offered to be won in game.

All of this is available without spending a single real-world cent.

3) Spam resources crates always. They farm Equal Speed Charlie London and Papa Papa flags, among others, as well as the coal you can use to get special captains and premium ships. It's amazing how fast you can build up a stock.

4) Go on the PTS and farm the easy money (the standard flags and Type 6 camos). Try to farm the draconics and other live-server bonuses if you can. Use it to get to know the higher-tier ships and decide what you want, rather than waste time grinding a line you come to despise. Use it to check the basic efficiency of ship and captain builds before you commit to them on the live server. 

5) If you are free to play, then in contrast to what Kuro has said, you should DEFINITELY hoard your XP-boosting flags. Generally he is right, but FTP is a special case. Save them for when you win or are awarded premium time, and/or for when higher first-win bonuses are offered. The Science of Victory campaign holds seven days of premium at the very end, and this should only be unlocked (by selecting and completing the very last task) when you have a good stock of Draconic flags AND you know you will have plenty of time to play, AND preferably during a high-first-wins period (if you can make the extensive free time coincide with that). 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-V1-]
Members
449 posts
7,371 battles

I don't profess to be a skilled player but I have attained a number of T-10 ships.   I found all of the above comments to be valid and valuable.   I would add that I ground cruisers and battleships of the US, German, British, Japanese, Russian, and when the French line came in I ground it as well.    I didn't like the British BB's so quit at King George V (but have started trying to finish that line as well) and I quit on the Russian Cruiser line at Tier 4.   I then went back and ground to Tier 10 as well.    Now I am beginning on the Russian BB and up to Tier 7 already while I'm also working now on DD's slowly.    I found once in a Clan, which I do recommend that you find a clan you like and join as soon as you can, I found the costs of Tech Tree ships was greatly reduced and other players helped me grind.   Clans find players who have multiple lines and classes of ships, especially cruisers and destroyers (often clans prefer their Team Leader in Clan Battles play a Battleship) make you more valuable and able to provide the ship needed for the team.

One of the greatest aides you can have in grinding is Premium Time.   If you watch for sales you can pick Premium time up at reasonable costs and the return back per battle is like watching a slot machine payout in credits, XP, FXP, & Commander XP!

Sink the Enemy and build your fleet!

[CUTER]
Members
3,131 posts
12,658 battles
22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Excellent advice, @Destroyer_KuroshioKai. The only criticism I have is that some of it is not going to go down as well with the free-to-play crowd, and by this I mean the ones who cannot afford - or are not allowed by their parents - to put money into the game. Others are lone wolves, or through the quirks of a broad continent with multiple timezones are in bed by the time their clanmates are ready to go play. 

For those who are obliged to be free-to-play or choose to be (something I was for the first 9 months), I would add the following:

1) Play to win as many premium ships and permacamos (specifically permacamos for tech tree ships) as you can in as many nations as possible, at any tier. Even if they suck rabid alpaca gonads, a premium is still a premium and every little bit of XP you can milk from them counts. The Armory has quite a few premiums across many tiers for coal, and some of them (e.g. Charleston, Yubari, Campbeltown) are in the reach of, and useful to, beginning players who are building up a broad-based fleet (something else I would encourage; play as many ship types as you possibly can) and thus spending extended time at lower tiers. Save your ship coupons for the high-tier stuff if you can, but don't be afraid to blow it on something like an Aigle or Okt Rev if you're still at low tier, you have the coal, and it's about to expire. Now that the French destroyers and Russian battleships are either here or immediately pending, those two ships are now a lot more useful than they were (even if the Aigle is the odd-man-out through having smoke while the other French destroyers don't).

2) Try to get your hands on special-event captains whenever they are offered; for tokens, coal, or what-have-you, even if they are Anime, Space, or bone-ugly. Every 10-point captain that you can "buy" (in the broadest sense) is 183,000 (E)CXP you don't have to find or grind to train it up from scratch, and ten of those = 19 points and change. Jack Dunkirk and Jean-Jacques Honore are both available from coal-crate collections; John Doe, Viktor Znameskiy and one of the Von Jutland brothers are all directly available for coal. If you have T8 ships, you can get Halsey and Yamamoto at 15 points each, and the Honourable Service campaign brings an 11 point captain with the Shinonome. Kuznetsov from the recent Russian campaign will eventually be for coal, and there is a French special commander coming soon. There are eight 10-point apocalypse captains available right now if you have enough credits, and other novelty captains are frequently offered to be won in game.

All of this is available without spending a single real-world cent.

3) Spam resources crates always. They farm Equal Speed Charlie London and Papa Papa flags, among others, as well as the coal you can use to get special captains and premium ships. It's amazing how fast you can build up a stock.

4) Go on the PTS and farm the easy money (the standard flags and Type 6 camos). Try to farm the draconics and other live-server bonuses if you can. Use it to get to know the higher-tier ships and decide what you want, rather than waste time grinding a line you come to despise. Use it to check the basic efficiency of ship and captain builds before you commit to them on the live server. 

5) If you are free to play, then in contrast to what Kuro has said, you should DEFINITELY hoard your XP-boosting flags. Generally he is right, but FTP is a special case. Save them for when you win or are awarded premium time, and/or for when higher first-win bonuses are offered. The Science of Victory campaign holds seven days of premium at the very end, and this should only be unlocked (by selecting and completing the very last task) when you have a good stock of Draconic flags AND you know you will have plenty of time to play, AND preferably during a high-first-wins period (if you can make the extensive free time coincide with that). 

Cash just speeds up the grind, it’s not needed to get the non premium ships.  Time zones and availability are not as big of deals as before.  We have guys all of the world playing for CUTER every event.  Find a clan that will work for your availability if that’s a big deal for you, CB now let’s you play on different servers time slots.

Its not a requirement to do so obviously, some do want to play alone, that’s how I play random most nights.  I do believe CB rewards are worth playing if you want to speed up your grinds.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,130 posts
9,895 battles
24 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I do believe CB rewards are worth playing if you want to speed up your grinds.

Oh for sure. 2500 Base XP lets your flags go a long, long way. The issue is that I feel obliged to pile on combat flags rather than XP grinders in order to give me the best chance of survival (and my team the best chance of victory), and I currently don't have all that many Draconics; I've burned them up doing various worthwhile things.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CUTER]
Members
3,131 posts
12,658 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh for sure. 2500 Base XP lets your flags go a long, long way. The issue is that I feel obliged to pile on combat flags rather than XP grinders in order to give me the best chance of survival (and my team the best chance of victory), and I currently don't have all that many Draconics; I've burned them up doing various worthwhile things.

The secret is the early season.  Only the last couple weeks really matter when trying to place well.  The first few weeks it’s normal to just run very limited combat flags and reap the XP.

I pretty much horde special signals and camos during the off season just to burn in CB for the base XP.

Sign in to follow this