You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rgtx1121

TVIII CA's for CB

14 comments in this topic

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles

So as I am sure everyone knows, the next season of CB's is restricted to T8. Unfortunately, my port is running low on T8 ships (I ended up selling a few...really dumb thing to do). I currently have the Kii, Bismarck and the ...... hipper (a dastardly ship IMHO). If you were to pick one T8 ship, premium or not, what would it be? 

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,819 posts
3,786 battles

I only really play BBs, so I only have seriously looked at them. Best general pick is Alabama/NC for the great all rounder Montana substitute (AL>NC), but given the map pool, an aggressive well played Vladivostock will be equally potent.

Been doing some scrimmages tier 8 6v6, and for cruisers: Chapayev, Kutuzov, Baltimore, and Atago seem to be the go-to picks. 

[O_O]
Members
5,698 posts
13,040 battles

Kutuzov.  Duh.  Of course she is locked away and unobtainable (can you believe some people actually SOLD her after the smoke nerf???  :Smile_amazed:), so let's forget about her.

I have always had a 'thing' for 155mm Mogami.  She spits fire, has torpedoes that can be quite dangerous (takes a bit of guesswork), and when kitted for agility, she can dodge incoming fire like a champ.  I have sometimes caught myself smirking as I blast away with my guns while cranking the turns, draw enemy battleship fire, only to watch it fall harmlessly around me.  Then again, occasionally I get completely blapped into last week.

Atago was one of the first premium ships in the game.  She is still highly regarded today.  'Nuff said.

Chapayev has radar and is quite capable.

Charles Martel is also very solid, and the reload booster can be extremely valuable when a destroyer or broadside target presents itself.

[AAA]
Members
869 posts
10,174 battles

Tech Tree

Baltimore is a solid choice. Radar-hydro. Heavy American AP. Bow can tank 15 in shell. 

Chapy. Radar/hydro. Flame thrower. Russian so probably op. 

Hipper. Tanky. Good ap. Torps for those yolo charges. 

Charles Martel. Fast/flame thrower. Reload boaster. 

Mogami is a solid IJN stealth flame thrower 

Ed. Super heal? Radar? 

All the tech tree ships are good in the right hand. 

Premiums. 

atago. Great boat. Typical IJN cruisers with good torp arcs.

kutz! OP

PE. Heal could be huge. 

Wichita. More nimble than Baltimore but not as good a boat

• Cool 1

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,772 posts
23,189 battles

I never get rid of premium ships reason that I still have the tier 8 Kutuzov 

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,754 posts
5,814 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

I have always had a 'thing' for 155mm Mogami.  She spits fire, has torpedoes that can be quite dangerous (takes a bit of guesswork), and when kitted for agility, she can dodge incoming fire like a champ.  I have sometimes caught myself smirking as I blast away with my guns while cranking the turns, draw enemy battleship fire, only to watch it fall harmlessly around me.  Then again, occasionally I get completely blapped into last week.

Ah but you see, the OP's topic title asked specifically for CAs. And if Mogami uses the 155mm guns, she technically is a CL. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles

I'm leaning towards picking up the Atago...but these summer sales are making me paranoid. I would hate to spend $50 bucks on it to see it go on sale the next day. We all know WG wont price match lol

Members
1,493 posts
10,751 battles

....not sure if saying "CAs" in the topic line then mentioning the Kii, Bismarck was a mistake or not--but I'm surprised nobody's brought up DDs yet....My most used ship in randoms and the one I've done best with in ranked (limited data sample) is the Kagero--nonpareil ideal detect of about 5.6km for anything above about T3/4 (except for Shima since the detect buff months ago) and you can use the 12km torps with speed boost to get very high speed torps that are ranged at about 9 and a half km.  Against radar it'd be nice to have a little more range than that, but honesty you can't reliably hit stuff past about 8 to 8.5km anyway....Close with your prey to about 6km (noting what ships have radar and their range as well as if they've used it recently) and let fly....Also use the TRB to get a 16 torp spread initially if you want....It's overkill if you have a broadside BB dead to rights so use it on two targets if you have the opportunity and the timing....Bear in mind the Kag doesn't have smoke if it has the TRB so use your stealth ideally or you'll get jacked up if detected....I know I've had this scenario go down both ways a lot--but if I had to guess I've been called dead and stupid a lot less than I've lunched enemy BBs....Sorry for such a long reply I didn't have time to write a short one....

....If I'm an idiot and I didn't realize there weren't going to be DDs in CB disregard....thx

Edited by commodore_torakula

[JAWS-]
Members
35 posts
2,586 battles
On 7/18/2019 at 7:28 PM, Rgtx1121 said:

I'm leaning towards picking up the Atago...but these summer sales are making me paranoid. I would hate to spend $50 bucks on it to see it go on sale the next day. We all know WG wont price match lol

This is the only reason I haven't purchased Atago yet. >.>

[SPTR]
Members
26,872 posts
14,286 battles

that new french Cruiser Bayard she may be worth looking into as well, if she's anything and this is my guess, she's basically like a less robust Martel but lighter faster better AA at the cost of no Catapult plane consumable, definitely worth considering as her faster ROF can shred DDs or broadside things faster than someone saying "gl hf" faster turret traverse and shell velocity too Ideal for close encounters.

but she is a CL not a CA, by CA did you meant just heavy cruisers(203mm+ armed cruisers) or all tier 8 cruisers which included CLs that a light cruisers armed with 152mm -155mm guns. 

[POP]
Members
550 posts
6,375 battles

Played a few CB last night and was asked to bring a cruiser.  The only t8 cruiser I have with radar was my Cleveland.  Surprisingly it did pretty good.  Netted 3 kills and over 100k dmg in one game.  Just goes to show how nasty usn Cl can be when properly positioned. 

[RKLES]
Members
10,734 posts
12,365 battles

I spent about 400k Free XP and about 50 million credits or so getting Hipper and Baltimore acquired and fully upgraded for CB in order to have good well rounded variety of tier VIII ships since I am already fairly well stocked on BBs and DDs for tier 8, but only decent CA I had was Mogami.

Hard part of CB is it so often ends up in mid range to close range skirmishes over bases so while there are many good BBs and DDs at tier 8, Cruisers are where it gets more sparse in the choices at least as far as tech tree CAs that is, if you include premiums there are some additional good choices. But none premiums it seems as if only Mogami, Baltimore, and Hipper are good.

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,713 battles

So ive ended up playing the Chappy. I ground the Mogami enough in CB to get the Ibuki, which I did last week. I took all of my modules off the Mogami and moved my Commander, so unless I am allowed to play BB I am in the crappy chappy. I did not find that the Mog had any big advantage over the Chap