Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
freggo

Selective accuracy of Bots

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

289
[A-O]
Members
792 posts
8,175 battles

Just finished a CO-OP battle with 16 bots and 2 humanoids.

At the end there where 3 bots left, 2 green and 1 red with 12 minutes left on the clock.

Now, my CO-OP experience is that bots usually hit you with the 1st salvo and usually start a fire while they are at it.

However, if the end of the battle happens to be between bots they miss even when within 1km.

In this case it took 8 minutes of heavy fire until the green bots finished the job.

Is it just me or do bots prefer to shoot at us humans ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,959
[WOLF3]
Members
22,496 posts
20,530 battles

Bots generally prefer to shoot at lowest HP ships.

 

Case in point, I play a BB in a Co-op game.  I get spotted early and get shot at for a while.  But as soon as the lower HP Cruisers or bot DDs (with even lower HP pools) get themselves detected, my BB is ignored for a long portion of a Co-op game.  That's all it is.  The AI will take the opportunity to fire all ships, all possible weapons in range of those specific threats even from across the map.

 

I remember playing my Yamato.  I was stationary and showing full broadside to an enemy bot Montana.  The range was only around 7km.  Yet I had zero worries.  Why?  All the bots of the enemy team were shooting at some Cruiser in the northeast corner of the map, and me and Montana were out center and off to the west.  It was some player Baltimore, the lowest HP ship left of our team.  The range was very far, like 20km or something, and the bot Montana attacked that Baltimore instead of a broadside, stationary Yamato 7km in front of it.  I was just casually farming Bow Citadels off bot Montana until it died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,910
[RLGN]
Members
12,081 posts
21,659 battles

Pretty much, WGs need to go somewhere and take a class that helps them get a damn clue about agro, instead of the stupidity of their ‘priority target’ system.

Such fun watch a bot CV’s planes go after a nearly dead target on the other side of the map, when two-three Greens are a lot closer and shooting the bot CV to bits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
172
[RAIN]
Members
123 posts
3,675 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Bots generally prefer to shoot at lowest HP ships.

 

Case in point, I play a BB in a Co-op game.  I get spotted early and get shot at for a while.  But as soon as the lower HP Cruisers or bot DDs (with even lower HP pools) get themselves detected, my BB is ignored for a long portion of a Co-op game.  That's all it is.  The AI will take the opportunity to fire all ships, all possible weapons in range of those specific threats even from across the map.

 

I remember playing my Yamato.  I was stationary and showing full broadside to an enemy bot Montana.  The range was only around 7km.  Yet I had zero worries.  Why?  All the bots of the enemy team were shooting at some Cruiser in the northeast corner of the map, and me and Montana were out center and off to the west.  It was some player Baltimore, the lowest HP ship left of our team.  The range was very far, like 20km or something, and the bot Montana attacked that Baltimore instead of a broadside, stationary Yamato 7km in front of it.  I was just casually farming Bow Citadels off bot Montana until it died.

are you sure i remember a lower hp ship not get focus because the bot aimed at me the CV instead do bots also prioritize CVs? i got spotted by bots in one match and they all focus me until they died or i escaped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
890
[WOLFC]
Members
2,152 posts
12,188 battles
28 minutes ago, freggo said:

... Is it just me or do bots prefer to shoot at us humans ? ...

I think the fear of AI taking over the human race is further away than we predict.

Oh, and ... I'll say yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
790
[CVA16]
Members
4,098 posts
12,960 battles
37 minutes ago, Skyspartan said:

do bots also prioritize CVs?

My guess is, YES.

First line in the bot targeting program as it evaluates all potential targets:

If detectedship=CV and LOS to detectedship is CLEAR target detectedship

(only played CVs in Coop so I have some experience)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,285 posts
2,399 battles

They do prioritize human players and the whole not being able to kill one another quickly outside of ramming i have also seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,016 posts
2,845 battles

I can't tell you how many times I've run a DD in Co-op and all the bot BBs try their hardest to hunt me down and ignore the larger ships.  I've seen it when others were playing a DD and I was in something else...the human-controlled DD often runs away from the rest of the team towards the far corner of the map, unfortunately, with a large string of bots in tow so that we have to give chase as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,104
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,052 posts
17,285 battles

I have noticed, since 8.5, green bots will torp a low hp red bot...

Even if an island or allied ship is in the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,059 posts
6,073 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I have noticed, since 8.5, green bots will torp a low hp red bot...

Even if an island or allied ship is in the way.

Ive also seen the opposite. Where suddenly :speakNspell: is replaced with :deepblue: and things get weird... AI camping in smoke instead of charging... torp ambushes from behind islands... it doesnt happen very often but the AI can and will spinal tap it to 11 when you least expect it. 

Having bot ships suddenly farm damage hidden in smoke is uniquely unsettling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[SIMP]
Members
1,083 posts
9,546 battles
15 hours ago, Skyspartan said:

are you sure i remember a lower hp ship not get focus because the bot aimed at me the CV instead do bots also prioritize CVs? i got spotted by bots in one match and they all focus me until they died or i escaped

Yes CVs are top priority, bots will ignore everything to kill a CV.

They seem to have a more sophisticated algorithm now. It seems they will focus the most combat effective or most influential ship/player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,959
[WOLF3]
Members
22,496 posts
20,530 battles
15 hours ago, Skyspartan said:

are you sure i remember a lower hp ship not get focus because the bot aimed at me the CV instead do bots also prioritize CVs? i got spotted by bots in one match and they all focus me until they died or i escaped

Bots love CVs.  But they're typically not far forward to get shot apart, not unless the player was being dumb.

 

As for lower HP ship not getting shot at, there's a trick for that.  Drop getting spotted.  Whether by stealth, smoke, or using islands to break LOS to you.  The bots will shift their aim to something else and then totally forget you exist.  I do this a lot with DDs in Co-op.  I get spotted, the bot target me.  I then smoke up or dip behind an island and drop being spotted.  The dumb bots then completely forget I exist and look for something else.  I then charge out to drop all my torps.  Eventually the bots target me again but it takes a while, but by then, it's too late for them.  Fish are in the water at a range of 3km or less.

 

If you're playing a Cruiser in Co-op, understand that the bots will by default gun for you at all times.

Player DDs are smoked up or in stealth.

BBs got more HP than you.

Carriers are way further back or behind an island.

 

That leaves your Cruiser, which has lower HP than the BBs that are detected.  If you're some Cruiser in open water that's spotted, you're all but guaranteed to get focused.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×