You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Silisquish

Crazy prediction about the Benham and the Friesland

21 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
665 posts
6,159 battles

I predict that at the same time Friesland/Friesburgerland will become available as a free xp T9 Pan-Euro ship, the Rogue Wave reward DD, the Benham, will become a free xp ship and join her.

Because it costs up to 40,000 doubloons to convert one million experience to free-xp, which is roughly (but somewhat less than), the cost of buying 750 fuel tokens from the premium shop (50k doubloons)... however with those fuel tokens you also get some useable flags, etc. so the price has to be higher. 750 fuel is still 50 short but it's not that hard to obtain 50 fuel tokens.

The prices seem to have been intentionally made equivalent - as to make sure neither players who buy Benham with fuel tokens, nor, with free xp conversion, will feel cheated. Also if memory serves, free xp ships have been traditionally released in pairs; so it makes sense that they will release two free xp DDs at the same time.

Even if free xp ships haven't been traditionally released in pairs, it makes sense to give players who have a bunch of free xp (or have a fat bank account) and who love DDs a choice between two radically different DDs: a pure Gunboat DD-hunter without torps, and an undergunned Shima-Clemson torpboat. This means there's one free xp DD for each of the two major DD playstyles.

[SIM]
Members
4,208 posts
7,231 battles

I very much doubt that they’ll release Benham and Freisland as Free XP ship at the same time, though Benham could get released as one later. Still, I have a sneaking suspicion that Benham will end up in the NTC. 

[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
514 posts
10,920 battles

Thats a good theory and one that would make sense. The only concern at this point Seigfreid has yet to be conditioned with a resource which could mean that it is also a fxp ship. All previous tier 9 super cruisers have been fxp. The issue is the hype train for a German ship as well. 

[NGA]
Members
1,878 posts
9,937 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I very much doubt that they’ll release Benham and Freisland as Free XP ship at the same time, though Benham could get released as one later. Still, I have a sneaking suspicion that Benham will end up in the NTC. 

And that is why I went through a monthlong grindfest. Better than having to grind out lines again which could take more time than I'd prefer. Especially since there will be other ships to grind towards.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
665 posts
6,159 battles
6 minutes ago, Condor_Legion said:

Thats a good theory and one that would make sense. The only concern at this point Seigfreid has yet to be conditioned with a resource which could mean that it is also a fxp ship. All previous tier 9 super cruisers have been fxp. The issue is the hype train for a German ship as well. 

Yes, this is probably true, but they might still release 3 free xp ships at once, including the Benham, because so far they released free xp ships for BB players and cruiser players, but no DDs. WG might have discovered that there are some DD mains with a ton of free xp who didn't buy any of the free xp ships, but who might buy free xp DDs.

EDIT: maybe some day we'll see free xp CVs and free xp subs. Oh wait lol what am I saying?! There's no such thing as a....

Spoiler

tier 9 CV but let's face it subs are going to make it in the game, probably within 6 months from now

Edited by Silisquish
  • Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,435 posts
4,324 battles

Nobody should EVER convert Doubloons to FXP, its the biggest waste of money imaginable in this game.

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

[WOLFC]
Members
665 posts
6,159 battles
10 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Nobody should EVER convert Doubloons to FXP, its the biggest waste of money imaginable in this game.

I know, that and doubloons-to-silver conversion is ridiculous (when I was a naive little baby seal newb I converted doubloons to fxp with my Tachibana, to help research other low tier ships, but even I could see that buying silver made no sense), but because WG offers these options I must assume that they also assume that some people will do it. (And a small number of players in any given game are wealthy enough to afford anything), which means they have to calculate the costs of their products as if someone was willing to do this.

Both converting doubloons to fxp to buy a fxp T9 ship and spending 50k doubloons for fuel tokens for the T9 Benham are ridiculous things to do yet some people do it; I've seen it in the case of fuel tokens - the person that did it had a six-figure household income, which explains everything. Actually I've seen more than one Benham sailing around in the past few weeks

Edited by Silisquish

[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
514 posts
10,920 battles

I got my Benham by only spending $20 on Hill then got gold back from directive and used that to buy 2 crates to get my 29 I needed to get it. 

Its a slower Tier 9 Sims with lots of torps, 72.3 second reload 4x4. 

At some point Jean Bart was supposed to be a fxp ship but has yet to fall to that. Converting fxp  can be tempting but if you need it then use it. I got the Alaska and Azuma and have now saved 1 million fxp back up since then. 

Looking forward to Siegfried a lot!!!!

[HYDRO]
Members
3,677 posts
5,280 battles

The best case scenario would be Benham ending up as a coal ship. Could definitely be a consolation prize since Somers will be locked behind Steel.

[TOG]
Members
3,953 posts
21,275 battles

Per Kami:

Dear players!

We are aware of your interest in the way that ships announced in the Development Blog will be distributed.

Today, we are ready to inform you of the ways of distribution of the following ships:

• Soviet tier X cruiser Smolensk will be available for coal.
  • American tier X destroyer Somers will be available for steel.
  • European tier IX destroyer Friesland will be available for free XP.

The release dates for these ships will be published later in the respective news channels on the game website.

Information about the ways of distribution of other ships announced in the Developer's blog will be published later.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

I suspect Benham will be sold after the Rogue Wave event, if the way cossack was handled is any indication. The other possibility is that she'll either be coal or steel. with a good possibility of being a steel ship.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,091 posts
9,835 battles

If Benham is anything but NTC or steel moving forward, the outrage from the people who spent hundreds to buy her will make the G C debacle seem like happy memories.

I have enough fuel tokens to get her with a single 25 crate purchase, and with the other crate content I am probably getting a fair return on the difference between the crate bundle cost and that of the other T 9 cash ships... but is she good enough to justify the purchase?

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[VW]
Members
3 posts
16,656 battles

Played against a Friesland T9 DD. It shot down each of my squadrons from my T8 British CV before I could even reach it while on booster. It's not even realistic at this point. My Cleveland which is totally mod'd out for AA can't even do that.

[WOLF3]
Members
1,747 posts
6,592 battles
7 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Per Kami:

Dear players!

We are aware of your interest in the way that ships announced in the Development Blog will be distributed.

Today, we are ready to inform you of the ways of distribution of the following ships:

The release dates for these ships will be published later in the respective news channels on the game website.

Information about the ways of distribution of other ships announced in the Developer's blog will be published later.

I suspect Benham will be sold after the Rogue Wave event, if the way cossack was handled is any indication. The other possibility is that she'll either be coal or steel. with a good possibility of being a steel ship.

Thanks for posting this.  Now I know my next two ships.  Smolensk and Friesland.  Friesland first, and Smolensk at Christmas.  :Smile_great:

Members
2,463 posts
86 battles
11 hours ago, Silisquish said:

I predict that at the same time Friesland/Friesburgerland will become available as a free xp T9 Pan-Euro ship, the Rogue Wave reward DD, the Benham, will become a free xp ship and join her.

I think this is a plausible guess.

[FORM]
Members
935 posts
8,296 battles

I've only seen her in battle once, but I was stunned at how hard the guns on the Friesland hit. Definitely interested...

[WOLFC]
Members
665 posts
6,159 battles
17 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If Benham is anything but NTC or steel moving forward, the outrage from the people who spent hundreds to buy her will make the G C debacle seem like happy memories.

Not if she's a free xp ship, and they also offer Friesland at the same time as her. That would nullify all potential outrage... 

- if you already have enough free xp to buy her as a free xp ship, you still can't be outraged, because it also means you can buy Friesland instead of her (and using WG logic, these ships are both T9 DDs so you should desire them in equal measure).

- if you don't have the free xp to buy her but you have enough doubloons to get the free xp needed to get her, you still can't be outraged, because the cost of xp conversion is about the same as the cost of buying fuel tokens, so you can either keep your doubloons or use them to get Friesland in addition to her. Either way, the hundreds of dollars needed to buy her without putting in any effort, in fxp or fuel tokens is about the same so it's fair.

Of course you might still be outraged that she isn't a limited edition ship, but if WG calculates that it benefits them more to put her back in the marketplace, I don't think this kind of outrage will bother WG too much.

Edited by Silisquish

[HE]
Members
552 posts
9,776 battles
On 7/17/2019 at 4:01 PM, Silisquish said:

Not if she's a free xp ship, and they also offer Friesland at the same time as her. That would nullify all potential outrage... 

- if you already have enough free xp to buy her as a free xp ship, you still can't be outraged, because it also means you can buy Friesland instead of her (and using WG logic, these ships are both T9 DDs so you should desire them in equal measure).

- if you don't have the free xp to buy her but you have enough doubloons to get the free xp needed to get her, you still can't be outraged, because the cost of xp conversion is about the same as the cost of buying fuel tokens, so you can either keep your doubloons or use them to get Friesland in addition to her. Either way, the hundreds of dollars needed to buy her without putting in any effort, in fxp or fuel tokens is about the same so it's fair.

Of course you might still be outraged that she isn't a limited edition ship, but if WG calculates that it benefits them more to put her back in the marketplace, I don't think this kind of outrage will bother WG too much.

The only way I will not be outraged when they sell Benham is that they sell it via premium ship at least 6 months later than this event. The amount of grind and doubloon I putted in was way too much. The opportunity cost I spend on playing that tedious savage mode is far greater than the ship price, so I want it to be a limited edition, for at least a short amount of time.

[BASIN]
Members
3,296 posts
On 7/16/2019 at 9:31 PM, Bill_Halsey said:

Per Kami:

Dear players!

On 7/17/2019 at 4:55 AM, Captain_Slattery said:

Thanks for posting this.  Now I know my next two ships.  Smolensk and Friesland.  Friesland first, and Smolensk at Christmas.  :Smile_great:

Just one thing, With the IFHE  Nerf  not sure just how effective these and others ships will be since IFHE  :Smile_unsure:  is so necessary to doing damage with them or whether they'll be worth the trouble getting them:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1