You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

CV Fighter Consumable for non-CV Players

3 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,871 posts
32,096 battles

There seems to be a fundamental failure to understand the fighter consumable, how it works and what it’s good for. 

First off, CVs can no longer send attack planes 1 direction while directing fighters to another part of the map. All we can do is drop a fighter squad from our attack plane squad. If you are off on your own at the edge of the map and nowhere near an enemy ship your CV can attack, don’t keep pressing F6 expecting fighter planes. It takes time for me to fly my attack planes around the map.  Time when I could be dealing damage to red ships, spotting, or playing the objectives.

Second: what are summoned fighters good for?  

Area denial. An enemy CV will lose planes if, and only if, he flies straight into the circle of the summoned and stays there long enough for them to focus him. I can see where the enemy fighter squad is inside that circle, so all I have to do is avoid it. So dropping a fighter at the edge of a cap my DD is about to enter is a good use of fighters. Chasing red attack planes and then dropping on them is utterly useless. 

Spotting. Summoned fighters are good for spotting DDs so my rocket planes can circle back and (hopefully) sink him. You should feel free to shoot at red DDs any time they are spotted. Fighters also can be dropped to keep BBs spotted.  In the wonderful World of Warships, cruisers are detected by planes at the edge of their AA range.  This means any fighter spotting a cruiser will be shot down in moments, so the trick is to find a place where you can drop fighters spotting the BB(s) without being instantly shredded by a cruiser.

There are only 3 squads of fighter per type of attack aircraft. If I drop a fighter squad each of the first 3 times I send torpedo bombers out, I am done with those fighters for the rest of the game. For a CV like Lexington with fairly useful rockets, torps and bombers, this isn’t such a big deal. I have 9 squads total and want to cycle through planes types anyway. For Kaga whose torpedo planes are its only effective weapon, 3 squads disappear right quick. 

Finally, summoned fighters aren’t like strafing fighters in the old RTS days. Back then, if a really good CV player sent fighters to cover you, they obliterated the red planes threatening you. Now not so much. If I drop a fighter squad for a Jean Bart late game, his AA combined with the summoned fighters will shoot down some planes. JB has strong AA, but if I drop fighters for a Kronstadt the CV may very well have his way with my teammate anyway. In other words, me dropping a fighter squad for you may kill all of the attack planes after the first strike.  

Please feel free to elaborate on this, disagree with me, whatever. It’s just mightily frustrating to have a great game while being railed at by some knucklehead on the 1 line pressing F6 at least once a minute and then get down voted. 

P.S. I love killing DDs despite having been a DD main since starting Wows years ago. I’m pretty good at it. However, if you’re in your BB off on a flank, ignoring the objectives (caps) and shrieking constantly about the useless red DD who also is in the bottom left corner of the map, don’t be surprised if I ignore your demands that I drop everything else to spot the DD for you. And if I do get around to finding that DD so YOU can kill it, say “thank you”.

P.P.S. Telling a 60-year old “I hope you die of cancer” is far beyond not cool, even if I did just sink your DD in smoke. 

• Cool 3

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,085 posts
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Telling a 60-year old “I hope you die of cancer” is far beyond not cool, even if I did just sink your DD in smoke. 

Especially when their mother died of cancer very recently.

What you see on the net are a lotta totally self-absorbed individuals whose world ends the end of their nose. :cap_cool:

[KNCOL]
Members
616 posts
1,604 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

P.P.S. Telling a 60-year old “I hope you die of cancer” is far beyond not cool, even if I did just sink your DD in smoke. 

I can never understand why people say stuff like that over a video game it just is sad and if you even say something about it they just pull the "snow flake" card