You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FreyasMight

Share your favourite WOWS battle stories!!!

12 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
1,110 battles

I'd love to hear some of everyone's favourite WOWS moments because I know there's people with 10k+ battles out there and if I've got some stories from my approx. 800, I can only imagine what you've seen. Entertaining blunders, exemplary teamwork, daring gambles, or a combination of all three. Anything goes!

A couple from me to get started:

I was playing the USN Nicholas last night in a game of Domination on Ring and scouted area B. I managed to outgun an enemy DD relatively quickly and wound up all alone in the cap. We won the first couple knife fights of the battle, capped A and C, and then all hell broke loose for the reds. A lone Okt. Revolutsiya made the bold if not questionable decision to straight-line into B completely unsupported. At 5km I hit the engine boost from behind an island and at 2.5km delivered a full broadside of torps from the left tubes, saw the PT indicator go up like a thermometer, and promptly popped smoke. His division-mate in a Pytor Velikiy then made the equally questionable decision to charge my smoke, also unsupported. That was the day we all learned discretion is the better part of valour, or in other words that a Nicholas has torpedo tubes on BOTH sides of the ship. The game didn't last much longer after that.

Another good one happened in the Furutaka. It was the best game I ever played in it (although absolutely not how you're supposed to Furutaka) and it all began with me taking out a DD while supporting a cap at C on Fault Line. Not atypical, but it went so well that our DD and USN CA sailed right on through chasing down a retreating enemy CL. In all our glory it failed to occur to us that half the enemy fleet was still steaming full speed ahead towards C. We got caught with our pants down and the lead enemy BB (a Sinop) sent our CA running and shredded our DD. At this point I was 7km from it and on an intersect course. Knowing I was too close to run, I charged it, narrowly missed an accidental ram, and broadsided it with torps, sinking it. More or less the exact opposite of how you're supposed to play the Furutaka. Before the rest of the enemy fleet could get close enough I turned up towards B and our fleet and tried to redeem myself and play this ship properly. That lasted all of about 30 seconds before a German BB popped out from an island near the channel at C. With a combination of lousy KM dispersion and likely a nervous trigger finger it managed to miss an otherwise un-missable point blank salvo and, with all my guns pointing the wrong way, I did the only thing I could: turn and give it the other broadside of torps. By this point, a Pheonix had caught up with me on my left. My left-hand torps reloaded moments after I saw it drop fish in the water and, knowing it was the end, I fired the last broadside of torps, sinking both of us in the scuffle. So that's the story of my comedy of errors turned best game ever in the Furutaka, with 3 torp kills (out of 4), a "High Caliber", and a lot of bewildered teammates.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
823 posts
5,160 battles

My absolute favourite was last November. When I got 7 kills in my Shima.  Sadly the replay never saved as it was just before the patch came out that automatically saved replays and just after I got a new PC and I had forgotten to enable the replay save. 

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
1,110 battles
3 minutes ago, eviltane said:

My absolute favourite was last November. When I got 7 kills in my Shima.  Sadly the replay never saved as it was just before the patch came out that automatically saved replays and just after I got a new PC and I had forgotten to enable the replay save. 

Damn, I didn't even realize you could save replays. There are some games I wish I had done that for in retrospect. The two above would have been quite funny to watch.

Members
14 posts
1,110 battles

5 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Also, 7 kills in anything is super impressive, my congrats to you on that!

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
823 posts
5,160 battles
Just now, FreyasMight said:

Damn, I didn't even realize you could save replays. There are some games I wish I had done that for in retrospect. The two above would have been quite funny to watch.

Oh yeah it auto saves your last 30 matches now.  If you go to the main WoWs directory and then the “Replays” folder. 

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
4,290 posts
1,636 battles

There was that time I took out my stock Knyaz Suvarov on Guadalcanal...our team split into 2, one to cover the center straight...and one to flank around the north side of the map.

The enemy team had a group of three destroyers who patrolled their end of the straight. My team mates entered the straight one at a time and all succumbed to the power of the division of destroyers. I managed a few thousand damage on those destroyers from outside the straight while trying to warn my teammates not to feed themselves to the enemy...to no avail.

Meanwhile, the rest of our team cleans out their team with the exception of the enemy destroyer division. Leaving the late game composition as follows:

Me, defending my end of the straight in my stock tier 3 Russian battleship...and our other Knyaz Suvarov...moving to cap their base, looking for his kraken.

Three enemy destroyers.

Since my teammate was not being attacked...I knew they would come for me. After all...that other Suvarov had four kills. Best kill that noob who hasn't done anything all game.

So, all three came to rush me at the same time. Knowing they were coming I had loaded HE...and turned away. On they came, firing torp salvos. I wiggled this way and that...chunking off health with my accurate HE salvos.

The enemies split and sent two to come up on my port side and one went round to the starboard side. My secondaries are going off now. I take a few torps...flood...damage con, take a few more torps...down to red health...

...secondaries kill one DD...one second later, secondaries get double strike...two seconds later, finish off third DD with HE salvo to face.

Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am.

I scared my wife by laughing so loud...

• Cool 1

Members
4,473 posts

Three stories:

First one, I was in the Warspite, two brother map, and going up one side.  We were starting to lose, and were down in ships.  I'm on the weak side, have a cruiser and destroy with me still and decide to head up as the other side was losing.  Head in, start capping and out come two cruisers and two battleships.  Cruisers start pounding my DD, so take aim, bam, sunk.  Cool.  Take aim and with next salvo devastating strike on next cruiser.  Just missed a double strike but they lost both full health cruisers that fast.  This allows the DD to move in on the BBs, and we focus on each in turn quickly taking them down.  We move up and over and catch the other group from two sides.

Second, was one of my first ranked battles, went in with a New Mexico.  Can't remember the map, but pushing in behind our cruisers and the enemy appears.  We focus on a Mogami and things are equal for a first couple of seconds of the engagement.  I spot the cruiser, about a quarter health and close to it is another full health cruiser.  So I fire the first turret at the Mogami, and the rest at the second cruiser.  Sink them both in seconds.  With such a large shift in ships so quickly in the battle we rolled over them quickly.

Last game, I was in the Dunkerque, and because of an anti-virus program running a sweep of the computer (forgot it was doing it) I loaded in very late into the game, think 8-10 minutes.  Finally get in and assess the situation.  Our carrier is out of planes, and in a Brogue attempting to run to ram a Bayern in our cap.  It would never make it as it was too far away and the Bayern was close to capping.  I look at everything and that Bayern is sitting right in front of me, about 8km away, full broadside, and his guns are facing the other direction.  So I fire, take 15k away.  Confusion occurs, I don't start moving, stay still and wait for the reload.  I want them to think I'm still AFK.  Teammates still talking about rushing to ram the Bayern when I take the second shot.  Another 15k or so of its health.  Its down to a little and I'm still full health, and it has its guns facing the opposite direction.  Now they now I'm active, and I get moving as the Bayern is now desperately trying to speed up, turn and move its guns.  Never got a shot off against me before I sank him.  Then with the remaining ships went off and won the game.

The parts which stick out the most.

• Cool 1

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
438 posts
3,780 battles

One of mine (and I've only been playing since March), was the dev strike I got last night. I was in my Alabama when a DD spotted a island camping cruiser, a Mogami. The Mogami was stopped, practically broadside, and just about full health at 36,701 HP. I fired 9 rounds of 16" AP freedom, and was rewarded with 3 citadel hits for a Dev Strike :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
4,290 posts
1,636 battles

In tier 6 ranked sprint.

In my New Mexico.

Both teams went to the C cap. After about a minute or two of firing from within each sides smoke clouds and driving off the screens...

All six battleships (three per side), advanced into the cap and commenced an all out, close quarters brawl within the cap circle.

It was epic, glorious, and fun.

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
1,110 battles
3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

There was that time I took out my stock Knyaz Suvarov on Guadalcanal...our team split into 2, one to cover the center straight...and one to flank around the north side of the map.

The enemy team had a group of three destroyers who patrolled their end of the straight. My team mates entered the straight one at a time and all succumbed to the power of the division of destroyers. I managed a few thousand damage on those destroyers from outside the straight while trying to warn my teammates not to feed themselves to the enemy...to no avail.

Meanwhile, the rest of our team cleans out their team with the exception of the enemy destroyer division. Leaving the late game composition as follows:

Me, defending my end of the straight in my stock tier 3 Russian battleship...and our other Knyaz Suvarov...moving to cap their base, looking for his kraken.

Three enemy destroyers.

Since my teammate was not being attacked...I knew they would come for me. After all...that other Suvarov had four kills. Best kill that noob who hasn't done anything all game.

So, all three came to rush me at the same time. Knowing they were coming I had loaded HE...and turned away. On they came, firing torp salvos. I wiggled this way and that...chunking off health with my accurate HE salvos.

The enemies split and sent two to come up on my port side and one went round to the starboard side. My secondaries are going off now. I take a few torps...flood...damage con, take a few more torps...down to red health...

...secondaries kill one DD...one second later, secondaries get double strike...two seconds later, finish off third DD with HE salvo to face.

Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am.

I scared my wife by laughing so loud...

That's awesome! Can't say I've ever heard of a "Double Strike" with secondaries. I love deleting DD's as a BB and watching the secondaries light everything up and that must have been a rush!

3 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Three stories:

First one, I was in the Warspite, two brother map, and going up one side.  We were starting to lose, and were down in ships.  I'm on the weak side, have a cruiser and destroy with me still and decide to head up as the other side was losing.  Head in, start capping and out come two cruisers and two battleships.  Cruisers start pounding my DD, so take aim, bam, sunk.  Cool.  Take aim and with next salvo devastating strike on next cruiser.  Just missed a double strike but they lost both full health cruisers that fast.  This allows the DD to move in on the BBs, and we focus on each in turn quickly taking them down.  We move up and over and catch the other group from two sides.

I love it when teams come together like that. Those rare games where everyone just knows what to do and can make it happen are the best!

3 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Last game, I was in the Dunkerque, and because of an anti-virus program running a sweep of the computer (forgot it was doing it) I loaded in very late into the game, think 8-10 minutes.  Finally get in and assess the situation.  Our carrier is out of planes, and in a Brogue attempting to run to ram a Bayern in our cap.  It would never make it as it was too far away and the Bayern was close to capping.  I look at everything and that Bayern is sitting right in front of me, about 8km away, full broadside, and his guns are facing the other direction.  So I fire, take 15k away.  Confusion occurs, I don't start moving, stay still and wait for the reload.  I want them to think I'm still AFK.  Teammates still talking about rushing to ram the Bayern when I take the second shot.  Another 15k or so of its health.  Its down to a little and I'm still full health, and it has its guns facing the opposite direction.  Now they now I'm active, and I get moving as the Bayern is now desperately trying to speed up, turn and move its guns.  Never got a shot off against me before I sank him.  Then with the remaining ships went off and won the game.

That's just plain brilliant! I would have loved to see the look on the face of that Bayern captain. :cap_look:

2 hours ago, Skyspartan said:

i got a kraken in my Lexington yesterday during an 8.5 match

Funny, I have a story about that too but in a Ranger. I was just as surprised as everyone else when it happened. I had cleaned up a flank with a couple low-health BB's earlier in the game, caused some other damage and took out a couple DD's didn't think too much of it, and then sealed the deal by dropping the final bomb on the enemy carrier to finish the game. Didn't even realize I'd get one either, I was just thinking about what I could do to best help the team and that game it happened to be cleaning up the mess.