You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KHyena

p2w clan wars

68 comments in this topic

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,815 posts
3,777 battles
3 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

T8 CW :/ where the most premium ships is... fun.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/cvc-6/

What ships are you concerned about? So far I have seen Loyang being a favorite DD in scrimmages, and Kutuzov is a nice to have, but only in small doses. 

For BBs, a NC can replace an Alabama just fine, and given the map pool Vladvistock will likley be prevalent, and that's a tech tree guy. 

At least there is no Stalingrads or slippery Henris:fish_cute_2:

• Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,786 posts
13,811 battles
9 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

What ships are you concerned about? So far I have seen Loyang being a favorite DD in scrimmages, and Kutuzov is a nice to have, but only in small doses. 

For BBs, a NC can replace an Alabama just fine, and given the map pool Vladvistock will likley be prevalent, and that's a tech tree guy. 

At least there is no Stalingrads or slippery Henris:fish_cute_2:

Lo yang, kutuzovs, kidd... premium ships in general :/

And i'm TOTALY sure they will put some op T8 cruiser for selling for that CW, we know wg.

Also, yay, at least no henris.

[5BS]
Members
8,494 posts
14 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

What ships are you concerned about?

T8's got some... messy premiums that are pretty solid crutches; Massachusetts. Tirpitz (especially in a small-team match). Kutz although this is limited due to pulling sale. The Kii is an unmitigated monster now that is oft-overlooked because of her initial mediocrity (now she's essentially a straight upgrade over the Amagi; ever so slightly less tanky but the torps more than make up for it now). Atago has always been a straight improvement over the Mogami. Kidd is maybe the most PTW ship in the game; a Buffed T9 placed at T8. Vanguard is not as bad, but in the right hands can be brutal thanks to her wacky handling impressive speed.

• Boring 2

[HYDRO]
Members
3,677 posts
5,280 battles

Afaik Chapayev is pretty common. I wonder if Cossack will see some play due to the smokes, stealth and Hydro.

[OO7]
Members
5,753 posts
12,700 battles

At least people won't be able to sync drop 2 cv accounts in clan battles to rig matches. P2w doesn't bother me, even though I doubt it's much of a problem. 

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
233 posts
10,001 battles

The only really offensive part is Kutuzov, not even because it's strong, but because some teams can have it when others don't have that capability. If they are going to call clan wars the competitive mode then unobtainable ships need to be either not allowed or sold during the season. It's crazy to me to have the competitive mode have such an obvious imbalance like that. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[KRAB]
Members
871 posts
7,323 battles

As long as they stay out of tier 7 (Belfast cough cough) and tier 9 (Musashi) things shouldn't be too egregious. 

[CAST]
Members
4,772 posts
3,337 battles

Uhm ... Tier 8 has been the favorite tier for many players for ages. And they are really smacked around currently in Randoms due to always being uptiered.

I'm pretty confident most players are VERY happy to get a Tier 8 Ranked/Clan Battles season again. Means playing against only other Tier 8 ships instead of the all those times where they are the only tier 8 ship on their team in a tier 10 match.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
117 posts
32 minutes ago, Ossiuum said:

The only really offensive part is Kutuzov, not even because it's strong, but because some teams can have it when others don't have that capability. If they are going to call clan wars the competitive mode then unobtainable ships need to be either not allowed or sold during the season. It's crazy to me to have the competitive mode have such an obvious imbalance like that. 

As opposed to the suffering endured against Stalingrad & Bourgogne?

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
787 posts
5,106 battles

From everything I have seen in scrims so far premiums don’t play a huge role. 

[XBRTC]
Members
2,987 posts
9,666 battles

Y'know, I'm looking forward to T8 clan battles. The other weekend when we had the one-day event at T8 was some of the most fun that I've had playing clan battles since it all started.

[POP]
Members
546 posts
6,347 battles

Premium ships should be used for farming credits and free xp in randoms.   IMO competitive play should be limited to tech tree ships only.  Ar least it would give me an excuse to play them and it would keep people from buying a T8 and dropping into competition only having played to T5 through experience. 

• Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

The only non-BBs with heals are premiums, with the exception of the edinburg, which doesn't seem to be particularly well suited to competitive play. (Edit: also the ognevoi and kiev, the latter of which has to give up its smoke. Like the edinburg, they're not exactly strong picks)

Premiums also have some very strong options that simply don't exist in non-premiums of the tier or are better versions, like how the kidd is a basically a benson with a heal. 

On top of this, you don't have to part with your t10 captains for the duration of the season: just swap them in and out for CBs. This is of course, assuming that not everybody keeps a 19 pointer in every tier eight they've ever had.

[O-PN]
Members
2,092 posts
4,395 battles
1 minute ago, PG908 said:

The only non-BBs with heals are premiums, with the exception of the edinburg, which doesn't seem to be particularly well suited to competitive play.

Premiums also have some very strong options that simply don't exist in non-premiums of the tier or are better versions, like how the kidd is a basically a benson with a heal. 

You know there's a few ships a) not premium b) not BB c) has heal

[SYN]
Members
15,442 posts
12,778 battles

The top picks are

Kutuzov+Chappayev combo (The Death slug)

Atago/Takao for support (The one cruiser that can bounce BB AP, has heal and excellent torps in tier)

Kidd/Loyang for their smoke (to assist the death slug)

Lenin for the tankiness and all forward firepower

NC with the accuracy

Amagi with the DPM

Alabama isn't a bad pick either, since it's a bit tankier than NC is, but loses out on accuracy

[GTF]
Members
183 posts
9,612 battles

In a straight up tier 8 battle, I can't think of any ships that absolutely make me quake in CB. The Kidd does come to mind but it only has one set of torps with a long reload and its rapid firing guns have firing arcs at over 6-7 km aren't effective against well wiggled DDs and cruisers.  The Kii comes to mind also...just have to remember it has those dang torps...but truth is I don't purposely get that close on a cruiser unless I can ambush them which isn't often...AND they have pretty squishy armor for a BB at that tier...juicy citadels come to mind.

At tier 10, a well played Yamato or Minotaur have been the bane of my existence in the late game on a Moskva or DM...neither are premium.

And at tier 7, a well positioned Belfast is pretty formidable to face in my Sinop.

So, as a 45% potato, the premiums at tier 8 don't bother me....maybe I just don't know better :P

[WOLFC]
Members
665 posts
6,159 battles

Maybe WG should just enforce a Tech Line Only rule for Clan Wars and Ranked? Or maybe just Ranked? Or, at the very least, enforce a rule where non-tech line ships can only be matched with identical ships, even if the MM takes forever. 

EDIT: Wargaming said, when they decided not to uptier Giulio Cesare, that they were willing to accept some level imbalanceness/OPness from their premium ships because that's what the players told them with the G.C. uptier controversy. This applies to any premium ship at any tier, so to be truly competitive they need to address this or else CWs and Ranked might become pay-to-win, which will drive away some players (those that really hate p2w)

Edited by Silisquish
  • Confused 2

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles
20 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

You know there's a few ships a) not premium b) not BB c) has heal

Of course, how could I forget that the kiev and ognevoi were competitively useful destroyers. 

[INTEL]
Members
11,327 posts
31,775 battles

I think it's wonderful. The range of possible ships is enormous. The meta at T10 is stale beyond belief. More players will be able to participate in the ships they are comfortable in and make a little money with the abundant premiums available at this level. I'm very happy that they've chosen this tier.  Looking forward to it.

• Cool 2

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,898 posts
10,502 battles

I think this will be fun... it will bring back alot of WSL memory's. 

• Cool 1

Members
9 posts
2,695 battles
1 hour ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Premium ships should be used for farming credits and free xp in randoms.   IMO competitive play should be limited to tech tree ships only.  Ar least it would give me an excuse to play them and it would keep people from buying a T8 and dropping into competition only having played to T5 through experience. 

If a clan allows one of their members to buy a tier 8 premium and hop into CBs with them that clan has only themselves to blame to begin with. The incompetents who do stuff like this in ranked would only affect things at relatively low ranks, and would become very rare or nonexistent to see at higher ranks anyway.