You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gear_Jamer

Matchmaking

31 comments in this topic

[JHSAV]
Members
122 posts
5,302 battles

I know this topic has been brought up before can anybody explain to me how this actually works I know I'm not a good player why does it feel like I the dominant team is always the red team. And I do want to say, I do understand I can't win all of them but dog gone it I'm tired of losing every time well it feels like every time I lose more than I win.

• Cool 1

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles

The matchmaker doesnt look at any skill/stats of the player. It uses only the ship.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics_(WoWS)

Edit:  how is it possible that my post contained anything to warrant one of you snowflakes getting butthurt angry?

Edited by T_O_dubl_D
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Angry 1

[WOLFG]
Members
24,727 posts
6,108 battles

Well, to be perfectly frank, you do lose more than you win. But only a few more games out of 100 than an average player.

The other thing to keep in mind is, because you're not a good player, you provide a potential disadvantage to every team you're on, because if your slot was occupied by some other random player, odds are they would be better. To win, somebody generally has to pick up your slack. If you are an average player, that's less for better teammates to address.

I don't say this to be a jerk, just to give you some rationale as to why you get the crappy end of the stick as far as MM is concerned. MM is impartial and random, it's all about odds.

EDIT: yes, I see someone is bored with what I have said. The OP asked a legitimate question, and I gave him a legitimate answer. I'm sorry if it's not as exciting as accusing WG of rigging the MM against people, but I'm not going to make stuff up for the sake of entertainment.

Perhaps whoever gave me that will have a better answer....

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,031 posts
12,832 battles

AFAIK, MM is supposed to be totally random. Just matches ship type and tier, with some allowances if the queue pool doesn't have the the number/type of ships to get a complete balance. Player ability is not a factor so one side can be all unicum and the the other all noobs. MM doesn't care. Random chance means teams will more often be unbalanced ability wise. Divisions can increase the skewing as 2-3 players on a team come as a unit, not randomly assigned. There are times when it seems MM is out to screw you (I KNOW it is out to screw me:Smile_trollface:) but WG insists it is just random.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
6,937 posts
4,987 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

AFAIK, MM is supposed to be totally random.

The only thing WG has commented on is T8 matchmaking is tweaked to have fewer bottom tier matches (which ends up with fewer T8 ships in the T10 matches you are in).

Members
231 posts
79 battles
1 hour ago, Gear_Jamer said:

I know this topic has been brought up before can anybody explain to me how this actually works I know I'm not a good player why does it feel like I the dominant team is always the red team. And I do want to say, I do understand I can't win all of them but dog gone it I'm tired of losing every time well it feels like every time I lose more than I win.

#1. Psychologically we remember losses more than wins.

#2. You answered your own question. With 69% of your battles in BB, the highest damage dealing ships, your avg dmg based on your avg tier played is too low. So low in fact that it's very difficult for your team to carry their weight and also carry the production you're supposed to be doing.

#3. Posting a few replay videos will help us to isolate the issue(s). Are you willing to do that?

Wow, someone felt the need to downvote with an angry face.  Do they have the social skills to explain what it is that got them emotionally hijacked over what I wrote?

Edited by A_Burning_Sensation
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,031 posts
12,832 battles
10 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The only thing WG has commented on is T8 matchmaking is tweaked to have fewer bottom tier matches (which ends up with fewer T8 ships in the T10 matches you are in).

True, there are protected tiers and apparently some new adjustments for the whipping-boy T8s.  There are also limits on certain types (CVs and DDs) but MM does not look at which side has the better ships (is a Stalingrad really equivalent to a Salem?), better players, radar etc.

Normal random mixes will result in 66% of the battles being significantly skewed in favor of one team or the other. Apparently WG likes faster games (turnover) resulting from one team steamrolling the other so everyone can use more flags, cammos, consumables etc. per hour of play.

Edited by Sabot_100

[SOFOP]
Members
1,585 posts
10,531 battles

The matchmaker is basically this:

1. Matchmaker decides what tier game to create based on the player with the longest queue time.  (IE tier 8-10 game, Tier 1-2 game, etc)
  2. Grab ships that fit that tier group, with some limits to CVs I believe.
  3. Create game with matching numbers of tier ships and classes.  IE 4 BBs, 4 DDs and 4 CAs on each side, mirrored regarding tiers (there can be an exception if a Div joins that doesn't have all equal tier ships but its rare , IE "fail div").
  4. Start game.

If a player is in queue for the max time (5 minutes or whatever), it will basically do a dump of the players in queue, and you can basically get almost anything (off numbers of ship types,  less players in the game than normal, etc).  This is when you get the fun 2v2 battles and such and waste your flags.

The person behind the keyboard is not taken into account.  Consumables, WR, clan, wins, losses, the stage of the moon, radar, hydro, torps, camo...none of that is taken into account.  You can get an entire 12 man team of 75% win rate players with premium camos and custom skins against an entire team of 30% weekend warriors with no camo or flags, who all run away at the first sound of a gun firing....and WG deems this "balanced".

• Cool 3

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

There are a few points here about your current stats and I’ll add a couple of my thoughts too. 

Your survival rate isn’t as low as I would expect and your accuracy isn’t very good with main battery. If you’re a BB Main I get the impression you may not be getting close enough to the enemy to do damage or absorb enough damage to make a difference needed from a BB. You don’t need to wade into everyone’s face at the start- but you do need to start learning how to position yourself so that you can move in and start pushing your weight around in a way that can influence the outcome of the game. 

You are 4500 battles or so in and it looks like you’re seeking opportunities to blame the outcome of your battles on something else where even a cursory assessment of your stats shows some pretty clear evidence that you need to work on your shooting... your damage is low and your accuracy is low... so start by learning to aim and fine tune that with what shell type to use while aiming at certain features of certain ships from different ranges and different angles. You must know the basics of the game so you have an advantage over others who are new to it. 

Definitely time for some fine tuning. 

You have over 500 battles in tier V and have an almost 50% win rate which is your highest relative to the number of matches anyway. That seems to be your comfort zone so go back there and focus on your shooting game. Once that is dialed in a bit then you can start thinking a bit more about positioning. 

Edited by _ENO_

[HYDRO]
Members
3,678 posts
5,280 battles

With all due respect, since you know you aren't a good player have you given it some effort to improve? You have already taken the most important step, recognising you need to get better.

I don't mean that you should instantly become crazy good, but slow baby steps will help both in the amount of fun you have and in your battles. Just start thinking next time how you can pull your weight as well as improving your knowledge of the game. There is tons of material around that can help.

Besides, if there is one thing 100% guaranteed in each battle you play, is your presence in it. Start with that.

Edited by warheart1992

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

You have already taken the most important step, recognizing you need to get better.

I’m not sure he’s there yet- be interested to see where he lands with the rest of the feedback in this thread. 

[JHSAV]
Members
122 posts
5,302 battles

Yes I for one will always admit I'm not that good a player, and didn't mean to say that the system is screwing me I'm just trying to better understand how this matchmaking does work my aim is not bad and yes it needs improvement some of the ships I use the disbursement that comes off of the ships at least one or two of them should have hit but doesn't.

and oh yes I know my damage level is low I've been trying to figure out how to improve that, that's the two things I've been working on soli is my aim and getting my damage level up any suggestions I would appreciate

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

Probably start with one of the original captain's academy aiming video from iChase or the Notser aiming videos. 

Edited by _ENO_

[JHSAV]
Members
122 posts
5,302 battles

Oh yes I watch those two and another one I understand where to put the crosshairs it's just the angling of ships is what's hurting me haven't quite figured that out yet I'm still watching the videos to figure it out

Members
231 posts
79 battles
3 minutes ago, Gear_Jamer said:

Oh yes I watch those two and another one I understand where to put the crosshairs it's just the angling of ships is what's hurting me haven't quite figured that out yet I'm still watching the videos to figure it out

The fastest way to isolate the root cause and also help you turn your game around is posting replays.  If you're in sales, the last thing you probably want to do is hear how you sound on the phone, but it is the best way to recognize your strengths and weaknesses.  It takes courage to and humility, two of the greatest forms of strength which is why 99% of players on this forum struggling with game mechanics find it easier to point to external factors and will never post replays.  So again, I ask you, are you willing to post replays?

If it's not an issue of courage or humility, many don't post because of laziness.  The irony is that laziness is a motivator.  If you want to get better in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of effort because of laziness, posting replays would do just that.  Bill Gates said, “I choose a lazy person to do a hard job, because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”

[H_]
Members
623 posts
10,792 battles
17 minutes ago, Gear_Jamer said:

May want to change your reticle, the dynamic seems to be widely used but there are some others, static,  that offer some options that help with shooting angled ships.  

• Cool 1

[JHSAV]
Members
122 posts
5,302 battles
1 hour ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

The fastest way to isolate the root cause and also help you turn your game around is posting replays.  If you're in sales, the last thing you probably want to do is hear how you sound on the phone, but it is the best way to recognize your strengths and weaknesses.  It takes courage to and humility, two of the greatest forms of strength which is why 99% of players on this forum struggling with game mechanics find it easier to point to external factors and will never post replays.  So again, I ask you, are you willing to post replays?

If it's not an issue of courage or humility, many don't post because of laziness.  The irony is that laziness is a motivator.  If you want to get better in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of effort because of laziness, posting replays would do just that.  Bill Gates said, “I choose a lazy person to do a hard job, because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”

yeah I'll post replays for right now I'm at work on my phone and I can't do it right yet tonight I can but be ready because y'all are going to get a good laugh out of it cuz I mean it's not so much a mean if my problem is also awareness you'll see that being a big issue also

Members
231 posts
79 battles
35 minutes ago, Gear_Jamer said:

yeah I'll post replays for right now I'm at work on my phone and I can't do it right yet tonight I can but be ready because y'all are going to get a good laugh out of it cuz I mean it's not so much a mean if my problem is also awareness you'll see that being a big issue also

You post replays and you will see just how helpful the forum community is to players that care about wanting to get better and demonstrate the effort to do so.  Remember, we all played a lot poorly when we first started because everyone had to go through the learning curve.  Even if we came from World of Tanks.  People learned real quickly that peaking out from behind an island to fire and then backing back up like you do often in WoT is usually a recipe for disaster in WoWs.

[JHSAV]
Members
122 posts
5,302 battles

Okay I'll post replay I drive a truck for a living I got a Apple hours to go before I can post my replay I am trying to up my game and I need some suggestions so should I post it here or submit a new topic

[TDRB]
Members
3,311 posts
10,192 battles
6 hours ago, Gear_Jamer said:

Yes I for one will always admit I'm not that good a player, and didn't mean to say that the system is screwing me I'm just trying to better understand how this matchmaking does work my aim is not bad and yes it needs improvement some of the ships I use the disbursement that comes off of the ships at least one or two of them should have hit but doesn't.

and oh yes I know my damage level is low I've been trying to figure out how to improve that, that's the two things I've been working on soli is my aim and getting my damage level up any suggestions I would appreciate

MM only uses ship type & tier, nothing more. Sometimes I feel like WG hates me, especially when I take a T8 ship out.

I started playing operations a lot. Since then my damage has improved & is still improving.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

I’m very curious to take a look- unfortunately I’m out for a bit. 

Ill take a look when I get home though. 

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

Okay, so I'm back home- beer in hand... let's take a look at this in general terms. 

A couple of things... 

I didn't expect this to be a ranked thing- ranked or sprint or whatever it was can be all over the place and isn't really a great place to emphasize overall stratagems. 

With that said- 

In most general randoms I'm not opposed to 3/4 speed at the beginning... with fast battleships. This didn't severely impact you and overall like I said me (personally) I understand why a person uses 3/4 speed. Main reasons are if I'm spotted early the first (bait) shot will generally miss forward since people think moving = full speed. You don't want to be the first thing everyone shoots at... not right at the beginning anyway. Once a few people have fired assuming you're moving at full speed you now have targets and can start your maneuvers. Even if those "maneuvers" are just "moving slightly to the left." (Some of you will get it.)  

AP usage. Okay man- you're using the "navigator" mod that shows angle on bow. You need to use it... but this is where some learning is going to need to happen. I recommend you research "overmatch mechanic." The significance of this is that there are only a few bow thicknesses in the game... and some shells are going through that thickness no matter how extreme the angle. This has been explained a million times better than I can so just google / search it. 

The general breakdown in extremely generic terms for BB AP is:

1) If a battleship is even close to 30 degrees angle on bow and you have AP loaded, shoot at the superstructure and consider a reload to HE. Click the HE reload once before you fire your AP shot and the reload to HE will begin immediately. 

2) Russian BB AP is designed to function best in the (close to) medium range environment... it'll overpen cruisers unless you stick them in the bilge (not the bow.) 

3) AP on DDs isn't great anymore... if you have AP loaded then shoot it but refer to #1 to quickly shift to HE afterwards. This wasn't an issue in game since I don't recall seeing DDs on their side but just a general add on to the other 2 things. 

I'm not going to dwell on this- there's lots to read elsewhere. 

The second thing I'm going to pick on is your lack of "free look" knowledge. I don't think you're aware of it... so here it is in generic terms. 

When you're sailing into battle in your chosen direction you can and will anticipate that the enemy is going to be approaching from a certain bearing. Move your mouse to that anticipated bearing and hold down RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON. This will move all your turrets to that position while allowing you to look around. This ability to scan while aiming slow moving turrets may have provided you with the situational awareness you needed to avoid providing a broadside to several different ships... red Sinop and Scharn off the top of my head. There are ways to lock your turrets in certain orientations but many people forget and I (personally) feel that RMB free look is the better way to do it. 

Okay, that's enough from me... but in basic terms I think those two concepts are critical based on what I saw. 

Edited by _ENO_

[JHSAV]
Members
122 posts
5,302 battles

okay if you need another replay not a rank Batlle i got a few now i know i have been trying to do more free look so i don't get my self into trouble and i knew angle shots are killing me trying to better that as well thanks to all for advice well use it to help me.