Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UraraShiraishi

HMS Nelson - The Lancia Delta of Battleships?

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles

For the last couple of months I've been looking at the Nelson seriously, slowly getting past her looks, and into her performance parameters. I factored in my playstyle, Nelson's rank out of her peers, my preference to mid tier gameplay, my Battleship dominant fleet, and my free xp count. Finally I said "heck all!" and bought the Nelson 2 hours ago.

But enough about me, I'm here to suggest that this ship has many similarities against a particular Italian rally icon of the 80s and 90s. How?? Let me list some similarities

-Both the HMS Nelson and the Lancia Delta have divisive(=UGLY) looks. The Nelson looks more akin to an oil tanker than a fighting capital ship. The Lancia, with its stubby butt and distinctive front fascia, looks like a pig. Neither are winning any beauty contests, that's for sure:crab:

-Both ended up very successful in their respective roles, in some cases even considered overpowered against the competition. HMS Nelson received multiple battle honors including Salerno 1943, Mediterranean 1943.. she also participated in Operation Neptune. In WoWS, the Nelson is regarded as one of, if not the best T7 battleship in the game. She has a ridiculous super-heal that can "3D-print a new ship multiple times". Similarly, the Lancia Delta HF Integrale is one of the most successful rally cars of all time. It dominated the World Rally Championship, winning 6 times in a row from 1987 to 1992, a record since unbeaten. It has also spawned the Delta S4, an absolute monster of a car both turbocharged and supercharged, competing in the Group B class. The 0-60mph time was 2.5 seconds. It ended up being so competitive that after Group B was disbanded, the cars were banned from competition completely by European sanctioning body FIA. (whether that happens with the Nelson and her super-heal, idk. Let's hope it doesn't though:fish_cute_2:)

-HMS Nelson was in service for a bit over 20 years (1927-1948). The Lancia Delta (not the new one) was produced for 20 years (1979-1999)

-did I mention that they're both ugly?

-NELSON is 6 letters. LANCIA is also 6 letters.

 

Hmmmm I've been really active in the forums lately 

 

Tl;dr: HMS Nelson and Lancia Delta both don't score many points for appearance, but have surprisingly good performance. An example of Function>Form?

ResponsibleAdoredBlowfish-size_restricted.gif

FreeHairyAmericanindianhorse-max-1mb.gif

Edited by UraraShiraishi
Added tldr at bottom
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,069
[HYDRO]
Members
3,678 posts
5,280 battles

Lancia Delta is a beau in her own way, especially in her Martini rally livery. 

Wanna go weird on cars, Lancia Stratos got you covered :Smile_teethhappy:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,656
[KNMSU]
Members
6,820 posts
7,440 battles

The Nelson is *okay.* I don't love or hate mine. She's certainly as strong as KGV, and the ability to sling some truly devastating AP when the situation presents itself - in addition to the sick heal - is very potent. However, she's a damage sponge, her AA is poor, and the positioning of the third turret just plain sucks.

So it's definitely an interesting platform with some good upside, but some big negatives, too. It's ultimately not my cup of tea, but I don't knock the people who dig it. You could do MUCH worse in a tier 7 battleship.

*Edit* And for the record, I like the appearance of the thing. The Nelsons look powerful and imposing, which matters a hell of a lot more than orthodox arrangements when it comes to fighting machines.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
13 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Lancia Delta is a beau in her own way, especially in her Martini rally livery. 

Wanna go weird on cars, Lancia Stratos got you covered :Smile_teethhappy:.

The Delta really grew on me as I watched more videos about her and played more games with her in it. I absolutely love Lancia Deltas now. Pretty sure I will be saying that about the Nelson after a few games and some extra research and video watching:fish_cute_2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,069
[HYDRO]
Members
3,678 posts
5,280 battles
1 minute ago, UraraShiraishi said:

The Delta really grew on me as I watched more videos about her and played more games with her in it. I absolutely love Lancia Deltas now. Pretty sure I will be saying that about the Nelson after a few games and some extra research and video watching:fish_cute_2:

Top Gear has got you covered on the Lancia angle, in one of their episodes they detailed their rally history, from Stratos to Delta. 

While I don't think Nelson has that important a service history, her sister Rodney does if you are looking for more footage and info.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,069
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,783 posts
9,171 battles

I have one issue with the OP, the title is wrong. It whould read, "is the Lancia Delta the HMS Nelson of rally cars?"

Answer, obviously not, HMS Nelson on a sharp gravelly bend would quickly very slowly become unstuck, careening sailing off into the gorse, brush and any unlucky flowerbeds.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
14 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I have one issue with the OP, the title is wrong. It whould read, "is the Lancia Delta the HMS Nelson of rally cars?"

Answer, obviously not, HMS Nelson on a sharp gravelly bend would quickly very slowly become unstuck, careening sailing off into the gorse, brush and any unlucky flowerbeds.

Well, there's just 1 thing wrong with the Delta, and it's her less than stellar looks.

For the Nelson, there's more than just looks: she a bote. She handles like a bote does. So, though Nelson ain't no rally car, it would be more of a stretch to say the Delta drives like a bote.. especially considering we're talking about a rally car here..:crab:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,129
[SIM]
Members
4,215 posts
7,238 battles

I actually like the look of HMS Nelson. I know that she has an abrupt butt, but there’s something to be said for all of those turrets concentrated to her front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
10 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I actually like the look of HMS Nelson. I know that she has an abrupt butt, but there’s something to be said for all of those turrets concentrated to her front. 

For that turret arrangement I'd very much prefer the look of a Richelieu or a Dunkerque actually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,421
[HINON]
Supertester
22,109 posts
15,955 battles

- Saying the Delta is ugly. :Smile-angry:

Way Nelson is not like the Delta: The Delta was actually fast and agile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
24 minutes ago, Lert said:

- Saying the Delta is ugly. :Smile-angry:

Way Nelson is not like the Delta: The Delta was actually fast and agile.

Tbh just assume my opinion of the Delta's appearance as how it is when I was just introduced to it

Because now that I've already grown accustomed to (and fallen in love with) her, I don't really think of her as THAT ugly anymore. Just that she is far from the top of the list of the "best looking cars ever"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,421
[HINON]
Supertester
22,109 posts
15,955 battles
30 minutes ago, UraraShiraishi said:

Tbh just assume my opinion of the Delta's appearance as how it is when I was just introduced to it

Because now that I've already grown accustomed to (and fallen in love with) her, I don't really think of her as THAT ugly anymore. Just that she is far from the top of the list of the "best looking cars ever"

That's all personal opinion of course and fine, but there's just something about het basic silhouette and proportions that I've always liked. Simple, no nonsense, purposeful. She was never ugly to me.

Unlike Nelson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,760
[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,010 battles
3 hours ago, UraraShiraishi said:

In WoWS, the Nelson is regarded as one of, if not the best T7 battleship in the game.

Highly debatable, but definitely worthy of discussion.

Likely wouldn't make my top 3 choices if I was going to the cupboard for a T7 battleship, but to each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Highly debatable, but definitely worthy of discussion.

Likely wouldn't make my top 3 choices if I was going to the cupboard for a T7 battleship, but to each their own.

It's not my opinion, I read it elsewhere (don't remember where)

I haven't played a battle yet in the Nelson but from the reviews and opinions I've gathered of this ship I just thought up this hypothesis/comparison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,329
[ARGSY]
Members
15,108 posts
9,874 battles
12 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Likely wouldn't make my top 3 choices if I was going to the cupboard for a T7 battleship, but to each their own.

I wouldn't say the best either, but she's a free T7 premium (FXP) and useful for those climbing the RN battleship line.  Mine has shared a lot of the heavy lifting in the creation of my two RN 19-pointers and I've had some pretty good games in her, both in co-op (six kills; it's a sad day when you have to carry in co-op, but the cash and XP payouts were glorious) and in Randoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,069
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,783 posts
9,171 battles
36 minutes ago, Lert said:

That's all personal opinion of course and fine, but there's just something about het basic silhouette and proportions that I've always liked. Simple, no nonsense, purposeful. She was never ugly to me.

Unlike Nelson.

I have a soft spot for that era of cars; bricks with added wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
6 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I have a soft spot for that era of cars; bricks with added wheels.

Speaking of bricks I'm really loving my new Arizona I got yesterday from the deal

Brick with 12 laser guns. Also turns on a dime

 

Heck I'm liking her as much as my Cesare, and that's really saying something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,760
[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,010 battles
35 minutes ago, UraraShiraishi said:

It's not my opinion, I read it elsewhere (don't remember where)

I haven't played a battle yet in the Nelson but from the reviews and opinions I've gathered of this ship I just thought up this hypothesis/comparison

Nelson when played correctly can be a monster.  But she suffers heavily under focus fire, as she's a bit softer (25mm bow armor) than most of the other T7 BBs.  Plus, ships like Colorado and Nagato can easily citadel her straight through the bow, so her ability to bow tank is negligible at best.  You'll really need that super-heal if you are under even moderate focus fire.

Ships like Scharnhorst and Gneisenau are much more flexible and dynamic, but if you don't mind static play, Nelson can be good.

2 minutes ago, UraraShiraishi said:

Speaking of bricks I'm really loving my new Arizona I got yesterday from the deal

Brick with 12 laser guns. Also turns on a dime

 

Heck I'm liking her as much as my Cesare, and that's really saying something

Arizona has always been a very solid and consistent ship.  One of the best balanced battleships in the game.  You basically get slightly better accuracy than New Mexico for a slight downgrade in AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
757
[USCC]
Members
2,720 posts

I think this car represents the Nelson more than the Lancia Delta...

I give you the Marine Nationale Citroen :Smile_veryhappy:

d-360.gif.8c73fe9d864d95cc88fde05860046dd9.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
8 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I think this car represents the Nelson more than the Lancia Delta...

I give you the Marine Nationale Citroen :Smile_veryhappy:

d-360.gif.8c73fe9d864d95cc88fde05860046dd9.gif

 

Nope. That's the Dunkerque.

Or Richelieu. Actually, yes, the Richelieu. The Dunkerque isn't quite as elegant.

 

(Though I'd consider a dd more for the DS as it is light and small) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,421
[HINON]
Supertester
22,109 posts
15,955 battles
48 minutes ago, UraraShiraishi said:

(Though I'd consider a dd more for the DS as it is light and small) 

And het, here you are, comparing a Delta to Nelson. :Smile_hiding::Smile-_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,069
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,783 posts
9,171 battles
1 hour ago, UraraShiraishi said:

Speaking of bricks I'm really loving my new Arizona I got yesterday from the deal

Brick with 12 laser guns. Also turns on a dime

 

Heck I'm liking her as much as my Cesare, and that's really saying something

Yeh, the Arizona is a gem, it is very rewarding to play. Though it takes patience to get her where and when needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,069
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,783 posts
9,171 battles
1 hour ago, UraraShiraishi said:

Nope. That's the Dunkerque.

Or Richelieu. Actually, yes, the Richelieu. The Dunkerque isn't quite as elegant.

 

(Though I'd consider a dd more for the DS as it is light and small) 

I have the dd version in my garage, (mine doesn't run, has been on the chocks for years)

280px-2CV_AZU_-_Devant.JPG

much more fragile, it gets devstruck by the smallest potholes.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles

first game with Nelson.

I was just slinging HE at everything. Didn't even get a chance to shoot my AP Imaoooo

 

and WOW BOI she is heckin fun!! I've never played a BB like this before. it's really refreshing!!:cap_like::cap_like:

nelson first game.jpg

nelson first game2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[MEOW]
Members
231 posts
3,896 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

I have the dd version in my garage, (mine doesn't run, has been on the chocks for years)

280px-2CV_AZU_-_Devant.JPG

much more fragile, it gets devstruck by the smallest potholes.

aaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAT IS THAT ITS AMAZING

IS IT A 2CV BREADVAN?

ITS SO COOL!!!!!!

 

SHOW ME MOAR SHOW ME MOAR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×