Eisennagel

Blue Wars

6 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
10,230 posts

After Azur Lane and Kantai Collection, this should be just another naval girls game right?  I would have dismissed this at this point.

But....

Fk.  This is the next generation....

Sample waifu.

Comparison to Kantai Collection Arcade.  Except that this is a dedicated arcade machine, not your smartphone.  

Abyss Horizon came out last year but I don't know what happened to it.  It looks it can do a bit of polish.

Edited by Eisennagel

Members
5,778 posts
6,635 battles

It sounds like the Prinz Eugen in this game shares the same VA as AL's Lexington. It sounds very weird to me, such a stark contrast to AL Prinz Eugen.

So, Kancolle arcade-like 3D models and Kancolle-like enemies, Azur Lane UI (it's damn near identical), and Warship girls R-like designs(?). This looks like it would be a decent game for consoles, like Nintendo Switch, but I'm not digging the designs of the girls at all. And while I never played Kancolle, I did/do like some of their interpretations of the shipgirls, just as I like how AL does their girls too.

It's an interesting concept to this genre, in my opinion, but I guess we'll have to see if it catches on. The videos above haven't piqued my interest beyond "oh look, cool, 3D models". 

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Beta Testers
10,230 posts
12 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

It sounds like the Prinz Eugen in this game shares the same VA as AL's Lexington. It sounds very weird to me, such a stark contrast to AL Prinz Eugen.

So, Kancolle arcade-like 3D models and Kancolle-like enemies, Azur Lane UI (it's damn near identical), and Warship girls R-like designs(?). This looks like it would be a decent game for consoles, like Nintendo Switch, but I'm not digging the designs of the girls at all. And while I never played Kancolle, I did/do like some of their interpretations of the shipgirls, just as I like how AL does their girls too.

It's an interesting concept to this genre, in my opinion, but I guess we'll have to see if it catches on. The videos above haven't piqued my interest beyond "oh look, cool, 3D models". 

Azure Lane UI?   The UI in Azure Lane is similar to that of Honkai Impact 3rd, but further more, its also similar to that of NetEase and Tencent games.  I think that came as a result of mobile game refining and streamlining, and that people prefer familiar over 'original' interfaces that are trying to be original for the sake of being original --- which doesn't really improve the learning curve of the game.  

3D is more than just the models.  It affects the way the game looks and plays, giving it more of a console, triple A rated game feel.  Game looks to have high production values overall and doesn't give this 'just another mobile gacha game with 2D chibi sprites' stereotype impression. 

Members
5,778 posts
6,635 battles
25 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

Azure Lane UI?   The UI in Azure Lane is similar to that of Honkai Impact 3rd, but further more, its also similar to that of NetEase and Tencent games.  I think that came as a result of mobile game refining and streamlining, and that people prefer familiar over 'original' interfaces that are trying to be original for the sake of being original --- which doesn't really improve the learning curve of the game.  

3D is more than just the models.  It affects the way the game looks and plays, giving it more of a console, triple A rated game feel.  Game looks to have high production values overall and doesn't give this 'just another mobile gacha game with 2D chibi sprites' stereotype impression. 

Maybe not the current AL UI, but it certainly bears a striking resemblance to the old AL UI. That's my bad for not specifying. Granted, I've not played many mobile anime-style games. So far just AL and FEH, so I had no idea that AL's UI was similar to other games out there.

I wasn't saying that the 3D models or the use of them was bad. It's a good thing that other companies and games are trying to be different. It's just not something that is standing out to me personally. And that's more of a combination of the designs of the ships/girls in this game along with the newness of it. I'm certainly not going to 'hate' on this game like the animosity you see between the hardcore Kancolle community and the AL community. In fact, I feel like AL has made a large enough impression to keep it's spot among any competitors currently out there and the ones that will show up, like this game. I also think AL has shown a willingness and ability to adapt and evolve so they don't become obsolete, in a sense, like Kancolle did. If Blue Wars catches on and becomes popular, good for them. It won't bother me a bit as AL is still going strong and has a lot of potential for future content and stories. Competition in markets isn't really ever a bad thing.

That said, from what I saw in the videos above, it looks like Blue Wars would do better to be on consoles anyway. The lack of animations and repetitiveness of the ones present doesn't strike me as high quality (likely due to the choice of mobile platform over the traditional console or handheld console). In fact for me personally it detracts from any potential overall appeal. But I'm just stating my personal opinion and impressions based on the videos you've posted.

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,409 posts
8,274 battles

So basically a Kancolle Arcade ripoff? That's cool I guess since Kancolle Arcade looks more fun than OG Kancolle.

Beta Testers
10,230 posts
2 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Maybe not the current AL UI, but it certainly bears a striking resemblance to the old AL UI. That's my bad for not specifying. Granted, I've not played many mobile anime-style games. So far just AL and FEH, so I had no idea that AL's UI was similar to other games out there.

I wasn't saying that the 3D models or the use of them was bad. It's a good thing that other companies and games are trying to be different. It's just not something that is standing out to me personally. And that's more of a combination of the designs of the ships/girls in this game along with the newness of it. I'm certainly not going to 'hate' on this game like the animosity you see between the hardcore Kancolle community and the AL community. In fact, I feel like AL has made a large enough impression to keep it's spot among any competitors currently out there and the ones that will show up, like this game. I also think AL has shown a willingness and ability to adapt and evolve so they don't become obsolete, in a sense, like Kancolle did. If Blue Wars catches on and becomes popular, good for them. It won't bother me a bit as AL is still going strong and has a lot of potential for future content and stories. Competition in markets isn't really ever a bad thing.

That said, from what I saw in the videos above, it looks like Blue Wars would do better to be on consoles anyway. The lack of animations and repetitiveness of the ones present doesn't strike me as high quality (likely due to the choice of mobile platform over the traditional console or handheld console). In fact for me personally it detracts from any potential overall appeal. But I'm just stating my personal opinion and impressions based on the videos you've posted.

AL looks pretty repetitive to me either, and side scrolling with sprites, might be regarded with this day and age, as being lazy coding.  This might be a conceptual decision to allow the game to run on weaker phones, but that decision may bite as smartphones keep getting more powerful and the bar for these games keeps getting higher.    

'Would be better for consoles' --- what's that?    The enormous success of PUBG, Fortnite and other Battle Royale games on smartphones have shown how PC like games can massively succeed in smartphones.  Games like Honkai Impact has shown that PC-console like triple A rated games can succeed very well in smartphones.  You need to get past this mobile game stereotype.  The newer generation of mobile games are blurring platform boundaries.  Your Apple A12 or your Snapdragon 855 has way more processing and graphical grunt than the nVidia X1 on the Switch.   

Super Mecha Champions by NetEase.  This company has been very successful with Knives Out and Rules of Survival. 

Game success can rely on two things.  Game play and Great Story.  Fate Grand Order has lousy game play but has Great Story.   Fire Emblem Heroes has great game play but meh story.   HI3 has both great game play and great story.   We will need to see how Blue Wars can execute these basics.   I am surprised how far FGO went considering its art assets are mediocre to say, FHE.  

The one consequence of having 3D models is that it takes more time and care to develop a 3D model which also requires animations and inverse kinetics (not to mention, boob physics).  2D is mainly just a art and sprites.  Far more easier and quicker to draw more waifus and husbandoos for FGO and FHE than it would for lets say HI3 or Star Ocean Ananmesis which is why your waifu collection won't grow as fast on a 3D game.  And yet you probably spend about the same amount of money on gacha on getting this much more expensive to develop 3D model than far cheaper 2D art.    I do like getting my money's worth in equal developer's effort and art assets.  

This next video isn't from a console.