You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11C4O

Is Ark Royal some kinda joke?

23 comments in this topic

Members
420 posts
202 battles

Just had an Ark Royal in a match. I was in a Sinop with a tank build no AA and shot down 30 planes. The CV driver was a Unicum tester. Those are tier 4 planes at best that thing needs help.

I'm not a CV main nor have I been in favor of the rework, but this is unsat.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
1,967 posts
19,292 battles

They are ultra-slow planes and will be very vulnerable to "any" AA.  That said, the bombs and torps look pretty good.  If I was interested in a premium CV, which I am not.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,788 posts
13,811 battles

"work in progress" ship.

Also the AA is broken sooooo......

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Members
850 posts
10,431 battles

AA is broken with last patch since there no rng anymore , unless they revert to rng system in the AA there no point to play any cv

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,206 posts
17,729 battles
2 minutes ago, dad003 said:

unless they revert to rng system in the AA there no point to play any cv

working as intended!

• Cool 5
  • Boring 8
  • Angry 1

[SALVO]
Members
22,908 posts
23,457 battles
41 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

Just had an Ark Royal in a match. I was in a Sinop with a tank build no AA and shot down 30 planes. The CV driver was a Unicum tester. Those are tier 4 planes at best that thing needs help.

Mike, the problem is that this is a historical ship, and WG may fear that if they don't put the historical planes on her (i.e. the Swordfishes), people would complain.  But as you observed, they're slow and fragile.  Notser had a first impression video on the Ark Royal as well, and it was pretty ridiculous.  

If it weren't for the even numbered tier thing for CVs, the Ark Royal with these planes might be bearable as a tier 5 CV.  But at tier 6, WG needs to suckitup and just put more modern planes on her, and tell the community that a tier 6 CV just isn't viable with those tier 4 planes, regardless of how historical the Swordfish are.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,798 posts
4,267 battles

Ark Royal is still in testing.

LWM currently puts her as potentially OP in the right battles or in T5-6 matches, and UP in T7-8 matches. Ark is supposed to be something of a T6 Kaga, but her initial iteration doesn't yet have the same level of Plane Regen as Kaga does.

Give it time. WG will probably end up giving Ark both a slight Plane HP buff and possibly fast Plane Regen, so that they can at least spam single attack runs endlessly.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,208 posts
7,231 battles

Yeah, she’s floating garbage right now. Some folks suspect that she’s going to be a freemium giveaway ship, but she’s bad even for one of those.

• Boring 1

Members
3,933 posts
4,205 battles

Could give the planes a passive chance to avoid a continuous AA tick. Worst that would happen is it buffs Hermes bombers too. 

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
2 hours ago, IronMike11C4O said:

At the same time if you watch Notser's video - AR is sickeningly good against DDs and light cruisers due to huge number of bombs DB squads drop. 36 bombs per attacking flight is not joke!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
335 posts
2,048 battles

If it makes you feel better, the reason Ark jammed Bismarck's rudder was that it's planes were so garbage, the Bis AA couldn't sight them correctly. Have fun.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[USFF]
Members
433 posts
6,944 battles

Ark Royal is on life support before release just like Indomitable. Glad it is still work in progress but I honestly don't see it getting better. Hard pass for me and even if I did get it they would probably make a "global nerf" later and destroy it like the Graf Zeppelin. 

[-BUI-]
Members
1,435 posts
4,324 battles

Looks like it can do one single thing well, so everyone is already screaming to nerf that one thing.    Hard pass.

[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

Undertiered slow planes would make it hard to deal with ships of your level, I can't imagine this thing being effective when uptiered. I wonder if they are already running out of ideas on how to make carriers feel different already.

[TASC]
Members
320 posts
8,368 battles

no not a joke unless you consider how WG balances everything. T4 planes that will see T8 MM . they just can't seem to figure out how some of this will work in the players hands. i just watched a video and Notser pointer out that the bombs can't hurt T8 BB unless they get a fire. 

i love history and that is why i play the game, the sword fish is the right plane for the CV. the  fun thing is the swordfish was so slow that the more modern AA fire directors couldn't target them well as they were set for much faster planes. maybe WG could have a damage reduction for the planes the more the tier difference is?

just a thought.  

• Cool 1

[XG]
Members
170 posts
14 hours ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I'll hazard a guess here and think that the ST was intentionally trying out different scenarios at the expense of planes. You know, testing.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,410 posts
20,527 battles

With the state of CVs right now, other than collectors for the sake of history, you'd be an idiot to buy a Premium CV right now.

I was watching Ark Royal videos on Youtube and the thing looks awful.  That thing is going to fight a lot of Tier VIII ships with Tier IV planes, and the hilarious part?  The HE bombs can't penetrate even the 19mm superstructure of Tier VIII Battleships :Smile_veryhappy:

The planes are trash, the ordnance is trash, the state of CVs declining.

Why the hell would anyone pay for this?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[U571]
Members
2,025 posts
13,925 battles

Ark Royal has issues, at T6 it's planes won't survive most AA at T7 and T8, Cruisers and BBs will shred the planes particularly the T4 Swordfish Bomber/Torp Planes.  Bad thing (which will change before it gets released) is the DBs are deadly for DDs even coming in from and angle, they drop a lot faster, they are smaller but there are more of them, and yes this part needs to change.  It is a broken ship if you ask me.  I enjoy CVs, but this one isn't even close to release yet.  In reality it should be a T5 CV, but they did away with odd tiers (really stupid on WeeGees Part.)  Like Indomitable it didn't look close to being ready.

Edited by GrimmeReaper

[SOV]
Members
2,946 posts
17 hours ago, dad003 said:

AA is broken with last patch since there no rng anymore , unless they revert to rng system in the AA there no point to play any cv

Flying spreadsheets. Are excedinly stupid and boring. This is a board game with a dice role and the role was taken out for a spreadsheet. 

[SOV]
Members
2,946 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

With the state of CVs right now, other than collectors for the sake of history, you'd be an idiot to buy a Premium CV right now.

I was watching Ark Royal videos on Youtube and the thing looks awful.  That thing is going to fight a lot of Tier VIII ships with Tier IV planes, and the hilarious part?  The HE bombs can't penetrate even the 19mm superstructure of Tier VIII Battleships :Smile_veryhappy:

The planes are trash, the ordnance is trash, the state of CVs declining.

Why would anyone buy anything? They said CV are good, go buy our stuff. People did they made them into flying spreadsheets and destroyed them.

They will do it again to another line of ships. The bait n switch is clear. If your a hater that's fine but when it happenes to you I and many others will be laughing at you!

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,615 posts
8,402 battles
17 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

Ark Royal is still in testing.

LWM currently puts her as potentially OP in the right battles or in T5-6 matches, and UP in T7-8 matches. Ark is supposed to be something of a T6 Kaga, but her initial iteration doesn't yet have the same level of Plane Regen as Kaga does.

Give it time. WG will probably end up giving Ark both a slight Plane HP buff and possibly fast Plane Regen, so that they can at least spam single attack runs endlessly.

That is my suspicion as well. Also they're going to have to normalize the performance of the  level bombers. Their penetration is too poor against uptier BBs and CAs (not sure on CLs) and they are too accurate against DDs. 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,798 posts
4,267 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For Operations. Same reason Mutsu and Ashitaka each got a new lease on life as strong Operations (and Co-Op) boats. LWM really likes how well Ark seems to perform in T6 Ops in her current iteration.

Given that most T6 Operations use T3-T6 ships with the occasional T7+ boss ship, Ark as she is currently would basically be easy mode. Moreso since Operation AI do not appear to use AA Sector shifting and are not likely upgraded/module-equipped, so bringing in T4 planes with custom bombing setups is not as big an issue as it would be in PvP.

2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

That is my suspicion as well. Also they're going to have to normalize the performance of the  level bombers. Their penetration is too poor against uptier BBs and CAs (not sure on CLs) and they are too accurate against DDs. 

WG could always toss in alternate plane groups that aren't quite historically accurate (or historically notable), for gameplay purposes. Say copying Furious' planes but tweaking the stats; whether it's bomb count, planes per attack run, drop pattern, etc. This would solve the tiering issue; the balanced T6 planes for a more even T5~T8 MM spread, and the T4 planes mainly for Operations/Co-Op with their slightly OP potential.

Or given that they do have a means to detect selected game modes, just put up 2 different stats for Ark Royal's planes. While in Operations/Co-Op, they're the slightly OP setup. When in Random/PvP, they shift to a completely ahistorical stat set, effectively making the T4 planes a biplane "skin" on T6 planes (in other words; Furious-type planes with Ark Royal's biplane models).

It wouldn't be the first time WG has offered alternate loadouts for CVs, nor would it also be the first time WG tested some new feature, if they chose instead to just have two loadout stats that change between Co-Op and PvP modes.