You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TsundereMusashi

Adding Shinano to the game....

38 comments in this topic

[SMEAC]
Members
356 posts
5,220 battles

As a full fledged Yamato class battleship as she was originally planned?

She could be a tier X premium, replacing the Yamato and Musashi's 12.7 cm secondaries for the 10cm guns, along with the 40mm bofors for AA. She could have some tweeks to her performance as well. Would be a better alternative than introducing her as a badly constructed CV.

[NSC]
Members
1,763 posts
9 minutes ago, TsundereMusashi said:

She could be a tier X premium, replacing the Yamato and Musashi's 12.7 cm secondaries for the 10cm guns, along with the 40mm bofors for AA. She could have some tweeks to her performance as well. Would be a better alternative than introducing her as a badly constructed CV.

But Hakuryu is a fake!

Why Bofors?

Edited by henrychenhenry

[SIM]
Members
4,250 posts
7,263 battles

But why? Seriously, what would she do that Yamato and Musashi don’t already?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,546 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Have Yamato's actual late war full AA refit, for one.

Members
1,691 posts
8,497 battles
3 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

have a slightly thinner belt? Tier 8 premium confirmed?

[RNDM]
Members
330 posts
6,226 battles

No since she has more historical value as the CV. Add her when they introduce subs and USS Archerfish. 

• Funny 1

[SMEAC]
Members
356 posts
5,220 battles
Just now, Wows_Nightly_News said:

have a slightly thinner belt? Tier 8 premium confirmed?

With her main guns? Her armor was planned to be only marginally thinner. It would be hilarious to have her at T8.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,705 posts
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Have Yamato's actual late war full AA refit, for one.

It takes something like 32 torpedo hits from a Midway to sink a Yamato as it is. 

Increasing it's AA effectiveness would make that worse.  Game balance has to be considered over historical accuracy.

[SMEAC]
Members
356 posts
5,220 battles
1 minute ago, Florendo19 said:

No since she has more historical value as the CV. Add her when they introduce subs and USS Archerfish. 

What historical value? She was a joke, and something the USN can point to and laugh at when discussing bad ideas. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,546 posts
3,895 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It takes something like 32 torpedo hits from a Midway to sink a Yamato as it is. 

Increasing it's AA effectiveness would make that worse.  Game balance has to be considered over historical accuracy.

You asked what would make it different. You just didn't like the answer you got.

7 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

The historical value of CV Shinano is "sunk while under construction". It's not much better than Graf Zeppelin in that regard, who at least has the novelty of being the only German carrier that was actually laid down.

5 minutes ago, TsundereMusashi said:

What historical value? She was a joke, and something the USN can point to and laugh at when discussing bad ideas. 

See above. Not really a joke. Shinano was the ship equivalent of blowing up an ambulance moving a patient from one hospital to another.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[RNDM]
Members
330 posts
6,226 battles
Just now, TsundereMusashi said:

Largest Warship sunk by a submarine seems pretty historically important.  Yes she might have been better had she been completed as a BB but they made her a CV and thats how I think she should be added to game if ever. Lexington in game is a CV and not a Battle Cruiser. While I think both versions could make it in game I think the one that was built(even if poorly) should be the one added first.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,508 posts

If completed (with water-tight compartments), it would likely have been armed with fighters, and act as a relay ship to extend the range of land based planes.

In reality, if Archerfish didn't sink her, the Shinano would have been parked in Tokyo Harbor and likely end up in US hands at the end of the war.

The US had a nasty habit of blowing war reparations up, but this one was special enough to take an interest in.  Hmmmmm... 

Maybe the RN might want the thing.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,546 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

Largest Warship sunk by a submarine seems pretty historically important.  Yes she might have been better had she been completed as a BB but they made her a CV and thats how I think she should be added to game if ever. Lexington in game is a CV and not a Battle Cruiser. While I think both versions could make it in game I think the one that was built(even if poorly) should be the one added first.

Calling it a "warship" in that state is pretty generous.

[RNDM]
Members
330 posts
6,226 battles
8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Midway torps are a joke. They are basically tier IV torps on a tier X ship.

[SIM]
Members
4,250 posts
7,263 battles

So...basically she would just be a marginally different Yamato? Then without a gimmick added on, there’s no way that she’ll be added as anything other than a CV. What gimmick (special consumable, emphasized playstyle, etc) would be appropriate for her? 

[A-D-F]
5,705 posts
12 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

You asked what would make it different. You just didn't like the answer you got.

I didn't ask. Skaercrow did.

[RNDM]
Members
330 posts
6,226 battles
5 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Calling it a "warship" in that state is pretty generous.

Still a good bit more real than many ships in game. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of the paper ships, its just I feel that ones that sailed should get preference when added to game over the paper ones

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
22,987 posts
12,826 battles
12 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

But Hakuryu is a fake!

Why Bofors?

Yes it is fake but the way the Shinano was built she would have had an air wing of IIRC 45 planes which is barely tier 6. The other 60 or so planes were in storage.

[A-D-F]
5,705 posts
29 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

Midway torps are a joke. They are basically tier IV torps on a tier X ship.

Yet, that is a T10 CV that it often faces.

[WOLF8]
Members
5,697 posts
5,393 battles

I would think that seeing Shinano in the game as a BB, maybe as an alternate to Yamato, wouldn't be such a big deal. :fish_book:

After all, we have similar-ish case on the USN BB line, where a ship was given a "different gimmick" (lol) to differentiate from the main line. :Smile_trollface:

*CoughBigMammycough*

How to bring Shinano into the game as a BB: give her a German dispersion (lel), and then buff the heck out of her secondaries (lul), then give her something like... a Speed boost (lal) or whatever as an "unique feature" (lol)... and presto! The IJN also joins in on the brawling fun. :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy:

My 2 doubloons. :Smile_hiding:

[A-D-F]
5,705 posts
13 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I would think that seeing Shinano in the game as a BB, maybe as an alternate to Yamato, wouldn't be such a big deal. :fish_book:

After all, we have similar-ish case on the USN BB line, where a ship was given a "different gimmick" (lol) to differentiate from the main line. :Smile_trollface:

*CoughBigMammycough*

How to bring Shinano into the game as a BB: give her a German dispersion (lel), and then buff the heck out of her secondaries (lul), then give her something like... a Speed boost (lal) or whatever as an "unique feature" (lol)... and presto! The IJN also joins in on the brawling fun. :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy:

My 2 doubloons. :Smile_hiding:

I would like to see her as CV.

[SKDSH]
Members
307 posts
8,142 battles
24 minutes ago, TsundereMusashi said:

This is what I would really like to see! She could be a great tier 10 premium IJN BB! Overall, she would play like the Yamato of course, but maybe she could get some special consumables or perks that the yamato doesn't have. Also, she could have a lot better AA protection, as the 100mm DP mounts she would've had were a lot more effective than the 127mm mounts on Yamato and Musashi. Maybe they could put some of the IJN 40mm "knockoff bofors" on her too?

[WOLF3]
Members
22,496 posts
20,530 battles

If Shinano were to enter the game, it would be in her embarrassing CV form.  And to make it historical, she'd have 0 access to Damage Control Party.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
1,227 posts
6,943 battles

Personally I'd do Shinano as the CV (as difficult to balance as that would be, a very T10 hull with a very T6 air wing) and have Warship NO. 111 (insert cool Japanese province name here) be the AA/secondaries variant upgraded  Yamato. One thing I have to point out though, Mass works because the USN secondaries are artificially hobbled. The IJN on the other hand, are already capable of rivaling the Germans for secondaries when fully built for it. Yes the Germans get a few hundred meters of extra range and 1/4 HE pen on many of their guns, but an IJN BB with a secondary build and a skilled captain is just fearsome at close range as it is at long range (and not bad at AA either). Before the Germans came along, the IJN BBs were the champions of secondaries in the game (some of us still try to refuse to believe they were ever removed from that position :Smile_trollface:). 

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,816 posts
13,870 battles

Shinano will be a good cv to push B sinse your planes are made from paper anyway.