You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Smolensk vs Yoshino

15 comments in this topic

Members
2,977 posts
11,489 battles

Now that WG will be offering Smolensk for coal, how does it measure up, on the grand scale of things?  Having spent the bulk of my coal on Jean Bart and Georgia, I only have enough for one T10 premium: Salem, Yoshino, or Smolensk. I don’t see myself coming up with enough coal for two of these any time soon, so it’s going to have to be one of them.  Thoughts?

Edited by Ramsalot

[WOLFG]
Members
7,065 posts
5,064 battles
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

Thoughts?

What is the IFHE change going to do?

That's my #1 thought on CL's.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,128 posts
10,593 battles

Smolensk, she's at least fitted most favorably for her job description and no BB willnhide behind you because they believe Graf Spee is a battleship.

[DOG]
Members
758 posts
9,166 battles

My thinking is Smolensk, simply because it looks like a change of pace from tech tree versions.  Salem is very similar to Des Moines.  Better repair party, but shorter range radar.  Yoshino looks interesting, but I've heard it doesn't play very different from a Zao, unless you want to play around with the 20km team killer torps.

[WMD]
Members
1,102 posts
8,033 battles

I'm saving my coal for Smolensk now that its officially going for coal. 

With Salem, JB, and no desire for an IJN heavy cruiser or Georgia I'm left with only Smolensk as a choice. 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,751 posts
12,114 battles

I love seeing Yoshinos, they are super squishy.... I wouldn't get one unless I had nothing else to buy.

[TF-60]
Members
389 posts
11,763 battles

Yoshino is zao but can pen any ship with IFHE.  I’ve been using my Mogami captain and it’s fun to take 8-10k hp away with a salvo on the Kreml

Members
2,054 posts
4,393 battles
11 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

I love seeing Yoshinos, they are super squishy.... I wouldn't get one unless I had nothing else to buy.

Good luck hitting me at 20km+ with double rudder shift.

Members
2,054 posts
4,393 battles
10 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

Yoshino is zao but can pen any ship with IFHE.  I’ve been using my Mogami captain and it’s fun to take 8-10k hp away with a salvo on the Kreml

When i see Yammies/Kremls/or GKs on other team. I know im about to have a very good damage farming game.

[SUCIT]
Members
608 posts
15,624 battles
58 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Now that WG will be offering Smolensk for coal, how does it measure up, on the grand scale of things?  Having spent the bulk of my coal on Jean Bart and Georgia, I only have enough for one T10 premium: Salem, Yoshino, or Smolensk. I don’t see myself coming up with enough coal for two of these any time soon, so it’s going to have to be one of them.  Thoughts?

First question: do you have DM and a perma camo? If yes, Salem isn't worth it. Next Question: do you have Zao with perma camo, Atago, or do you have Azuma and don't like her. If so, Yoshino may not be worth it. Third: Smolensk will be greatly affected by the IFHE changes, as her pen will go from 28 to 26, and with most cruisers she'll face are getting decks no thinner than 27mm of armor, her effectiveness against cruisers just got negated big time. Plus her lack of armor and health probably makes her the hardest to play out of all the options.

Members
2,054 posts
4,393 battles
2 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

First question: do you have DM and a perma camo? If yes, Salem isn't worth it. Next Question: do you have Zao with perma camo, Atago, or do you have Azuma and don't like her. If so, Yoshino may not be worth it. Third: Smolensk will be greatly affected by the IFHE changes, as her pen will go from 28 to 26, and with most cruisers she'll face are getting decks no thinner than 27mm of armor, her effectiveness against cruisers just got negated big time. Plus her lack of armor and health probably makes her the hardest to play out of all the options.

What sets Yoshi apart though is her pen. With IHFE she can pen anything in the game. 8-10k HE salvos on Kremls are pretty common.

[SUCIT]
Members
608 posts
15,624 battles
1 minute ago, Legio_X_ said:

What sets Yoshi apart though is her pen. With IHFE she can pen anything in the game. 8-10k HE salvos on Kremls are pretty common.

but it becomes useless against every other ship, and its really just a loss of fire chance for some damage against about four ships that you may never see in more than a few battles.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,751 posts
12,114 battles
23 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

Good luck hitting me at 20km+ with double rudder shift.

and you best be careful... not saying you can't, but one mistake and its a citadel.  I was fighting a Yosh with a Zao and yeah he was starting fires, but I hit him twice at very long range with AP and two cits made up for it quite nicely.   I have no doubt that I would enjoy the ship as I like the challenge, but it is a high floor, mid ceiling ship... not sure if I am wrong, but a good comparison would be the regular Japanese T9 CA?

[ARGSY]
Members
15,261 posts
10,040 battles
23 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

I'm saving my coal for Smolensk now that its officially going for coal. 

With Salem, JB, and no desire for an IJN heavy cruiser or Georgia I'm left with only Smolensk as a choice. 

I would be in exactly your position if not for the existence and unsettled payment methods of Siegfried (intriguing, but I need to see more) and Thunderer (a Conqueror I don't have to grind to). Georgia is not completely ruled out for me, but Smolensk seems the more interesting ship and possibly more suited to the way I like to play WOWS.

Fortunately, I am weeks away from having enough coal for any of these (to say nothing of the FXP for Friesland), so I can sit on what I've got and wait for more CC/tester content to help me decide.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
90 posts
12,339 battles

The 18.5 sec. reload time on the Yoshino would drive me nuts. Even with MBM3 it's still 16.2.