You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kassimila

How to fix AA

12 comments in this topic

Members
117 posts
4,521 battles

In the current patch, AA is on the high end of broken and oppressive...and that's ok. Players like to be rewarded for specing/moding into anti air configurations. The issue however, is this system requires no interaction from the player. To change that, all AA should start the game 'off'. When you click the enable button there is a 5 second delay, then you're AA is 'on', however your main guns are disabled. You can then whenever you want turn your AA off, and after a second 5 second delay your main guns are re-enabled. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Angry 1

[KNCOL]
Members
616 posts
1,604 battles

I don't think this is the best thing to balance AA

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
11,891 battles
5 minutes ago, Kassimila said:

In the current patch, AA is on the high end of broken and oppressive...and that's ok. Players like to be rewarded for specing/moding into anti air configurations. The issue however, is this system requires no interaction from the player. To change that, all AA should start the game 'off'. When you click the enable button there is a 5 second delay, then you're AA is 'on', however your main guns are disabled. You can then whenever you want turn your AA off, and after a second 5 second delay your main guns are re-enabled. 

Umm sorry but NO .  The Atlanta and other such cruisers depend heavily on their main guns FOR AA as well as most if not all DD's .  

:Smile_honoring:  

Members
117 posts
4,521 battles
4 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Umm sorry but NO .  The Atlanta and other such cruisers depend heavily on their main guns FOR AA as well as most if not all DD's .  

:Smile_honoring:  

You make my point for me. How exactly are your 'main guns' shooting at planes AND ships at the same time? 

• Boring 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
5 minutes ago, Kassimila said:

You make my point for me. How exactly are your 'main guns' shooting at planes AND ships at the same time? 

How exactly does your ship gets repaired instantly? Why are all of our ships piloted by ghosts? Why are BBs on actual sorties instead of sitting at docks because of how expensive they are to use? Because game.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SIM]
Members
4,218 posts
7,240 battles

I don’t know that I like this idea as presented, but I do appreciate the fact that you’re trying to find a solution to the current broken AA situation (and it is currently broken, mighty forum warriors) that doesn’t just involve playing more tug of war with the raw numbers.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,239 posts
17,770 battles
45 minutes ago, Kassimila said:

To change that, all AA should start the game 'off'. When you click the enable button there is a 5 second delay, then you're AA is 'on', however your main guns are disabled. You can then whenever you want turn your AA off, and after a second 5 second delay your main guns are re-enabled. 

Save me some of whatever it is you're smoking, it's obviously very good, unlike this idea, which is very bad.

Members
117 posts
4,521 battles
4 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I don’t know that I like this idea as presented, but I do appreciate the fact that you’re trying to find a solution to the current broken AA situation (and it is currently broken, mighty forum warriors) that doesn’t just involve playing more tug of war with the raw numbers.

I'm open to hear about adjustments to the proposal. I totally get there are two sides here. People in ships that want their AA to do something, and people in CVs that don't want to spend 50 seconds flying across the map only to have all their planes instantly killed by an invisible cruiser on the other side of an island. 

Members
269 posts
10,094 battles

I remain unconvinced that AA, as it exists since the most recent patch, is "broken".  It is certainly better than it was before the patch.  My experience now is that, when planes attack, I sometimes shoot down one, or even maybe 2.  That seems about right to me.  I drive cruisers, and I've never wiped out an entire squadron on my own.  Not even close.  A couple times, I have seen an entire attack element shot down, but that was when I was snuggled up close to a BB, and we were able to combine AA from 2 or even 3 ships.  I figure a CV player that exposes his planes to that deserves what happens.  In some weaker AA ships at lower tiers, shooting down even one plane doesn't happen that all often.  In fact, at lower tiers, there are ships that have virtually NO AA.

You may be mostly referring to high tier, like T10?  THAT, I wouldn't know about.  Don't have a single T10 ship in my port.  I've heard that some T10 CLs are AA beasts, so I guess it's possible.

Edited by Midshipman_Hornblower

[CVA16]
Members
4,035 posts
12,844 battles
1 hour ago, Kassimila said:

Why is it bad? Could you actually contribute to the conversation? Or did you just feel like shitposting?

It is bad because you are making players choose between playing the surface action game and an AA game. Most people want to play the former. IRL, ships like the Yamato had to clear most of their AA gunners off the deck before firing those big guns but you notice, in game, there are NO crew. Therefore...Not an issue! IRL any admiral/captain that intentionally tried to conduct surface combat while under air attack was an idiot. (Taffy 3 kind of proved that). WG forces that upon us.

Conversely, IRL any CV captain that sent his entire attack force after that picket DD while an enemy CV lurked in the area was an idiot. WG forces that on us too.

I hate myself for saying this but WG could dial back the AA SLIGHTLY. Still needs to be balanced so weak AA ships can at least have a hope of defending themselves.

One fix on the CV side would be they could set a aggression limit on their planes. Set it high and planes press on until shot down (current mode). Set it low and a plane bails when 75% damaged and returns to ship. No longer the last plane in the formation, it heads home without further damage as the AA now targets the next plane in the formation. That next plane in the formation starts taking the damage and may bail too. The advantage to the CV is the wounded planes get back to the CV and are immediately back in the pool for relaunch. The disadvantage is fewer planes may make it thru for an attack. If planes are taking damage too quickly, they may pass the decision point and die before they can bail.

Edited by Sabot_100

[SALVO]
Members
22,927 posts
23,493 battles
2 hours ago, Kassimila said:

Arcade game.

• Confused 1