You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
anonym_jOKtIJlDbNjc

WTH is wrong with this

27 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts

In a match playing in my Pence and 4 of us 2 Cruisers and 2 BB;s all take aim at 1 BB who NEVER moved always facing us only firing his forward guns killed 3 of us while we NEVER got him below 40% HP. Please tell me how that happens when we hit him with every single volley we fired. In that match we lost all our ships while they only lost 1. I do NOT understand how 1 BB can SIT THERE NOT MOVING and kill 3 ships with ease while 4 ships can't even get it below 40% HP please enlighten me how that happens?

[U571]
Members
2,025 posts
13,925 battles

Never heard of the Pence (Perth Maybe?).  What tier was the enemy BB you were trying kill.  What was the Friendly Cruiser with you and the 2 BBs...

[PHASE]
Members
5,177 posts
17,644 battles

BB's are put on this earth for scrubs, rock kickers and scotch drinkers. It's very hard to sip scotch while having to play with one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse.

• Funny 3
  • Angry 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,623 posts
8 minutes ago, Dkangel33 said:

In a match playing in my Pence and 4 of us 2 Cruisers and 2 BB;s all take aim at 1 BB who NEVER moved always facing us only firing his forward guns killed 3 of us while we NEVER got him below 40% HP. Please tell me how that happens when we hit him with every single volley we fired. In that match we lost all our ships while they only lost 1. I do NOT understand how 1 BB can SIT THERE NOT MOVING and kill 3 ships with ease while 4 ships can't even get it below 40% HP please enlighten me how that happens?

Pence is not a ship in the game.

It's not just about how many shells you hit a ship with.  The caliber of said guns and the angle that the ship is to you, have very large impacts on the damage done.

If you upload the replay (the client records the last 30 battles, so unless you played 30 battles since the battle you are talking about, you have the recording) we could help more.

[PAK]
Members
34 posts
22,107 battles

Angles? All your team had to do especially the BBs was get wide and get angles where he can bounce shells. This entire game is about angles.. ones that help you citadel... great vids out there.

[RLGN]
Members
12,018 posts
21,513 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

BB's are put on this earth for scrubs, rock kickers and scotch drinkers. It's very hard to sip scotch while having to play with one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse.

I’d say I resemble that remark, (I’m partial to Glenlivet,) but only occasionally, and I tend do be more of a destroyerman than a battleship driver.

[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

Well it does sound like you were fighting the BB in the most referable way to one - stay lit and in front of them where their broadsides aren't threatened. I've tanked and killed so many cruisers this way when they could have just gone dark and hit my flank, sometimes its even effective against lower tier BBs who don't realize how shell size and armor works

Edit2: Also you are preventing the BB from turning so he has no other choice 

Edited by Tanuvein
Spelling and more info

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
9,942 posts
13,835 battles
13 minutes ago, Dkangel33 said:

Need more info. My first guess is that he was higher tier and was moving in reverse and you guys were shooting AP. Next time you see a BB do that shoot HE and burn it down. As was mentioned if it was a Nelson then it has an amazing heal particularly with regards to HE. In that case split up and get it in a cross fire.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,916 posts
4,963 battles
18 minutes ago, Dkangel33 said:

1.  If it was a Russian BB, it can sit all day nose in on you and laugh.  If you get to its side, it will die (even to Pensacola AP).  If you can't get to the side, 4 ships shooting HE should be able to kill ANYTHING.

2.  Penacola's exist to be killed by BBs.  Sad but sorry truth.

[STURM]
Members
576 posts
4,770 battles
16 minutes ago, Dkangel33 said:

That's bow tanking, one of the most basic tactics in the game. 

He was sitting at you bow on because that lets him bounce most AP shells due to them hitting the steep angles of his bow. In addition, if it was an RU BB, they have thicker deck armor, making them more resistant to HE fire as well.

Honestly, you played right into his hands. If there were three of you, someone should have gone dark and moved to flank. Even better would have been to swap to a more appealing target you could damage, because as it stands, it seems like all you were doing is boosting his potential damge through the roof.

Members
80 posts

Penacola's exist to be killed by BBs.  Sad but sorry truth.

--------------

the ship sucks no quarrel from me I hate the ship with a passion and it alone has made me rush in get killed do as much damage as i can and go play my Omaha to to get free xp so I can get past it. Worse ship ever.

Members
150 posts
7,202 battles
21 minutes ago, Dkangel33 said:

Penacola's exist to be killed by BBs.  Sad but sorry truth.

--------------

the ship sucks no quarrel from me I hate the ship with a passion and it alone has made me rush in get killed do as much damage as i can and go play my Omaha to to get free xp so I can get past it. Worse ship ever.

If you are struggling in the current version of the Pensacola, it will not get better for you further up the tech tree. American cruisers will only be more explodey as you ascend tiers and offensive capabilities continue to increase. 

You may be enjoying the Omaha at Tier 5 as ships mostly shoot nerf balls at each other and for the most part there are a good deal of players still learning at that level.  

I day this just to warn you, it is rarely the arrow and almost always the Indian in this game.  There are no unplayable ships.

[WOLFG]
Members
6,916 posts
4,963 battles
5 minutes ago, NoloContendere said:

If you are struggling in the current version of the Pensacola, it will not get better for you further up the tech tree. American cruisers will only be more explodey as you ascend tiers and offensive capabilities continue to increase. 

You may be enjoying the Omaha at Tier 5 as ships mostly shoot nerf balls at each other and for the most part there are a good deal of players still learning at that level.  

I day this just to warn you, it is rarely the arrow and almost always the Indian in this game.  There are no unplayable ships.

And the Pepsi has its special purpose.  I caught a Peter coming around an island broadside right after he fired.  Two salvo before he could reload.  Something like 30K damage.

Rotation is slow and armor is bad, but the guns are nasty in its tier range.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,902 posts
7,831 battles

If it was a Pensacola it's not too difficult to figure out what might've happened. You see, it all depends on what ships you guys were using, and who you faced, and of course the skill of all the parties involved.

If we have a bunch of T6s trying to engage a Lenin or North Carolina under conditions that favor the latter (he can remain heavily angled), then I can see a skilled player smashing some potatoes while the opposition does not try to change the conditions (like spreading out to get a crossifre going).

[-K-]
Members
7,298 posts
12,003 battles
23 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

And the Pepsi has its special purpose.  I caught a Peter coming around an island broadside right after he fired.  Two salvo before he could reload.  Something like 30K damage.

Rotation is slow and armor is bad, but the guns are nasty in its tier range.

If it wasn't for the atrocious turret traverse, Pensacola would actually be a pretty fun ship.  They really should have just kept it as it was at T7 and dropped it down as is.

Pensacola was the first ship that taught me the true value of the Concealment Expert skill (back when her default detection range was like 14km.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,777 posts
12,773 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

This sounds like a Nelson with the superheal.

It does sound like the Nelson and its ability to print a new ship on demand.

[SUCIT]
Members
577 posts
15,450 battles
1 hour ago, Dkangel33 said:

No idea what the BB is, but as others have stated, its likely a Nelson, Sinop, or an NC or Vlad/Lenin. Now, as for how this happened, I see a few things or a combination of these things

1. both cruisers gave broadside to said BB, gave said BB two free Dev strikes

2. both cruisers fired AP at an angled target, do little damage with no hope of knocking out the BBs main gun turrets.

3. the BBs fired HE (although if an NC or Lenin, perhaps Sinop) not a bad idea, but if the target is a Nelson, especially if your BBs had 15in or bigger guns, a Nelson can easily be citadelled through the nose. However, if your BBs were a KGV or Lyon facing an angled BB, HE would probably be better

4. If target BB is Nelson: ship took massive fire damage, then popped his superheal, practically printing himself a new ship (provided he didn't take a citadel hit)

5. if Target BB is Sinop, Lenin, Vlad: Combination of very high HE resistance and proper use of the Russian Dam con.

6. if target BB is NC: shells hit 37mm deck, shattering or bouncing, while NC's improved heal gave her more health to heal back. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,203 posts
17,725 battles
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

It's very hard to sip scotch while having to play with one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse.

Yes it is! (and they should fix that, as spilling Scotch is definitely not a good thing!)

[AOI]
Members
184 posts
11,676 battles

Pensacola has some great HE..My main issue with her is her turret rotation is so damn slow..Stay with the BBs and spam HE from range..Her AP is great under 10KM even against BBs, keep her bow angled, try to avoid close range fights with DDs as her turret speed is to slow..I think she is an okay ship if played well...As far as the BB the OP spoke of here is the best advice I have heard and Kenny Rogers says it best " you have to know when to hold them know when to throw them know when to walk away know when to run"......hehe..In your case hold them and walk away

[QQ7]
Members
122 posts
22,758 battles

Also, possibly damage saturation. You may have saturated the bow, and possibly the superstructure, and could barely strike the other areas. See this explanation of saturation mechanics.

[HINON]
Members
6,571 posts
9,852 battles
10 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

2.  Penacola's exist to be killed by BBs anything.  Sad but sorry truth.

FTFY, when wet cardboard would provide better armor, its safe to say the ship youre in can be taken out by just about anything and everything that itll see in its tier bracket 

Edited by tcbaker777