You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warlords24

Are going up to high tiers (9 and 10) worth it

55 comments in this topic

[UNBRI]
Members
14 posts
987 battles

I'm stuck on a decision to either sell my Neptune to go back to tier 8 for like getting a second tier 8 the NC or stay on the high tiers to progress further and I couldn't afford to get premium time as it costs money like how much does a premium cost for 30 days, pretty much $15.86 CDN. And they also say that going up the higher tiers is not worth it so...Please give me your opinions.

[CK5]
Members
1,019 posts
9,036 battles

Without premium time, T9 and especially T10 are credit losers unless you are a God-like player.  

• Cool 7

[UNBRI]
Members
14 posts
987 battles
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Without premium time, T9 and especially T10 are credit losers unless you are a God-like player.  

I have to agree with you on that but what about having two tier 8s 

[_-_]
Members
2,035 posts
1 minute ago, warlords24 said:

Nothing wrong with that. The E'burgh and NC are both pretty good, although I prefer the Fiji to the 'Burgh just for the T7 MM advantage.

• Cool 1

Members
1,954 posts
9,597 battles

Im basing this off your experience.

Id say stay in the mid tiers. Try out a few more different ship lines. You'll lose credits in the higher tiers (especially w/o premium) w/o more experience.

Personally I enjoy tiers 5-10. So I like the higher tiers, but Id wait and learn a bit more in the mid tiers till advancing.

But if you want to dive right in, be my guest. 

Members
491 posts
6,135 battles

Every time you lose money in your Tier IX battle, just commit to playing a battle in your Tier VII, to make those credits back.  That was the original point of the high-tier economy, to make sure that folks don't just get to the top and play nothing but their Tier X, depopulating the lower tiers.

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
1,019 posts
9,036 battles
15 minutes ago, warlords24 said:

If you are just talking about staying positive on credits, yes, you can do that in Randoms at T8.  Of course, the other issue is the snarky MM and how often T8 gets up-tiered.  If you are fine with that, then your call.    

Edited by PrairiePlayer

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,228 posts
14,300 battles

If you can't secure premium time somehow, you'll need to keep something in the mid-tiers to run a profit when you play it, and use that to offset the T9-T10 service costs.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,384 posts
19,666 battles

No.

Too campy, too much instadeath, too much toxic snark, too little fun.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,022 posts
11,335 battles

It really depends on your goals. If you are a solo player with no plans for competitive and are likely to stay a free to play player.... then... Well No. I would stay at tiers 5-7 and enjoy yourself. Game is just as fun at tier 7 as tier 10 maybe more fun.

I do like a lot of the high tier ships so I would recommend if you can to get a good tier 8 prem ship and some port slots and use that ship to finance your high tier play. This is sort of a middle ground strat to avoid prem time. 

Cheers.

[LEGIT]
Members
1,728 posts
24,939 battles

T 10's are nice because of the year end signal flag bonuses - though they're not as generous as they used to be.

I used to hate T 10, but now I like it in a few ships.  I got my WR above 50% in them so that makes the battles more enjoyable.  Some ships are a real blast to play:  Georgia, Alaska, Grozovoi, Hindenburg, JB, and Kremlin come to mind.  I have Bourgogne but haven't really played after playing Kremlin.

But it isn't as forgiving as T 5 - T 8.   Really love my Massachusetts and Irian.

Edited by slokill_1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,850 posts
44 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Well now that's a bit of an over-statement... I make money in a couple of them (Montana, GK and Yamato). Only the Yammy has a premium camo (HSF). I'm far from gawd-like as a player to be sure. 

Alternatively, if you got the coal, get the Salem. She IS a riot to play and had special bonuses applied against her service costs. She almost will always make you coins. 

If you like the RN line man, you can't hardly pass on the Minotaur... cause I've found, if you switch the grind and go somewhere else it takes a very long time to get back to the grind. Your skills fall off for the nation's ship line, sometimes to the point you'll ask yourself why you ever ground up the line in the first place. 

fwiw

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,775 posts
18,185 battles
1 hour ago, warlords24 said:

I'm stuck on a decision to either sell my Neptune to go back to tier 8 for like getting a second tier 8 the NC or stay on the high tiers to progress further and I couldn't afford to get premium time as it costs money like how much does a premium cost for 30 days, pretty much $15.86 CDN. And they also say that going up the higher tiers is not worth it so...Please give me your opinions.

You have 786 Random Battles experience.  You just got Tier IX Neptune.

Take your time making your way to your first Tier X.  People think it gets easy once you ding Tier X, it isn't.  The way combat is in Tier X is remarkably dangerous and very unforgiving.  Not to mention all the ships at Tier IX-X lose something that was once commonplace in prior tiers:  Agility, Maneuverability.

You put yourself in a bad spot in mid tiers, the ships are maneuverable enough, the enemy gunnery is bad enough (even BBs), that you could make a mistake, do a u-turn, and still be alive.  Do that same mistake in Tier X, you're DEAD.

As you're probably finding out already:

Combat changes when you're playing Tier VIII in a Tier VIII-X game.

Tier IX, you're pretty much getting a taste of nothing but Tier IX-X games and combat is much more heated.

Take your time getting to Tier X to get used to the tone of High Tier battles.  I made a huge mistake earlier in my experience.  My first Tier X ship was Yamato.  Originally I was grinding on Amagi.  I was actually very far along on the grind but got impatient and FreeXP's the rest, to include completely skipping Tier IX Izumo.  I was barely learning how to fight High Tier battles with Amagi, then I completely skipped Tier IX Izumo, grabbed Yamato.

When I got Yamato, I felt great.  18" guns!  Yamato!  I'm invincible now!  I remember admiring her in port a while, happy that the "grind" (that I cut down considerably with FreeXP) is done and I got my first Tier X ship.

:Smile_teethhappy:

When I got Yamato and played I was an embarrassment.  I'd be that Tier X BB on your team that somehow got rekt early and that has significant implications to your team.  When you play a Tier X BB, there are expectations out of you, they need you alive, and they need you to pulverize ships.  I was a dumb*ss.  I sailed into focus fire attacks.  I didn't know about BB Survival Techniques 101 like I should have.  I never got fully used to High Tier combat like I should have with Tier VIII Amagi.  Finishing out time in Amagi and grinding through Tier IX Izumo would have taught that, or at least getting me more High Tier experience in Tier VIII & IX before arriving to X.  For BBs, the most jarring thing was losing my agility.  Amagi is pretty decent.  Fast, IJN "quality" maneuverability but still decent.  Tier IX-X BBs lose that agility.  You do a certain move in a Tier IX-X BB, that's a commitment and it's hard to undo it once you've made a mistake and are getting punished for it.

yo31y4u.jpg

Yamato for me, that's where I learned to "Tier X."  It was a very long, harsh series of lessons.  I remember getting spanked so hard, so many times.  Eventually after 120 or 130 games in Yamato, I finally "got it" and learned to play a Tier X BB.  But by that point, my stats with Yamato had tanked so hard, I have yet still be able to salvage them.  But my later Tier X BBs have all profited by my experience with my first Tier X, Yamato, and I've done better with them.

Anyways.  Take your time getting your Tier X.  I will say this.  It's perfectly natural for one's Tier X stats to not be as nice as their prior tiers.  Tier X is brutal.  The Yamato stats I have above?  That doesn't have to be you when you get to Tier X.  Take your time and get used to how combat is in High Tier.  Just because you get a Tier X, it only gets harder.  You get a Tier X ship, that's the peak of your line's firepower and abilities.  But that also means all the other opponents are using ships at the peak of their power also.  So any and all mistakes are punished severely, instantly.  DD, Cruiser, BB, whatever.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
10,824 posts
7,053 battles

OP, the decision to push on to Tier 9/10 is just that; a decision, not an obligation. There is a lot of fun to be had at lower tiers, and I say this as someone who after nearly two years in the game has at least some ships at EVERY tier all the way up to 10.

The exception to this rule is if you intend to play regularly in Clan Battles, T10 Ranked and other such venues. In that case you really do need your own ship, in which you are comfortable and experienced.

In my opinion the single best choice for free-to-play folks at that tier is Salem (free, for coal).

Her post-battle repair costs are stupidly low, and if you want to you can even run her in T10 co-op WITHOUT premium time and without breaking the bank (and if you do well, you won't lose any credits at all). I bought her for those reasons (though I did buy a year of premium time at half price around Christmas time), and I am deliriously happy with her. 

Keep the Neptune. You may decide later to go back and play her, and if you sell her now you lose half of what you paid. Grind out the credits for the T8 ship. Chip away at the Neptune when your credits are looking really good and you can afford to lose some. At 971 battles, I think you shouldn't be looking toward T10 already; you should be diversifying your fleet across a broad range of ship types and nations to T6 or 7, even carriers. You will thank me for that later.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
10,037 posts
28,194 battles

In Randoms, with premium time, I always make money at T9-10, and I am no godlike player.

To answer the question of @warlords24, the game play is better at T5-6-7-8. At T9-10 it becomes dull, with few close games and a low possibility of coming back from being down. Lots and lots of stupid collapses. This is because the firepower of T10 ships is so great that once a small advantage is gained it quickly snowballs. Moreover, last time I checked, just ten ships account for 70% of ships played at T10. It's repetitive and stupid. O yeah, and the maps are horrible. T9-10 sucks.

However, WG wants people at T10 because who cares about the other 9 tiers? So you get rewards, like last year's steel handout to T9-10 ships, for being at T10. Plus clan battles and Ranked are T10, because who cares about selling the premium ships that WG has put so much effort into crafting by running Ranked at other tiers? From the marketing standpoint, selling products to customers who want them is a dumb idea -- it's much smarter to focus on tiers where there are no premium ships for sale.

All in all, you should grind out to T10 in every line because of the benefits WG hands out. But play it sparingly, it's usually not fun. 

• Boring 1

Members
463 posts
9,108 battles

I think T9 and T10 are fun.

Would you consider playing your T7 ships to grind some credits so you don’t have to sell your Neptune ?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,770 posts
10,986 battles

I personally prefer the game play in tier 7 and below but I keep them all and it is good to have some of the upper tier ships around for clan battles and ranked.

[WNNR]
Members
215 posts
5,563 battles

Its really a matter of taste I despise low tier as its just slow ships with bad accuracy but others swear by it.  Try it out see if you like the game play and if not go down a few tiers.

[WOLF9]
Members
119 posts
4,622 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In my opinion the single best choice for free-to-play folks at that tier is Salem (free, for coal).

Agreed.   Also Jean Bart and Georgia.   All free (for coal) and all do well in economics, though the Salem does have baked in economic bonuses over what is provided by the camo.

Abbye

[WORX]
Members
3,873 posts
14,967 battles

Dont do it, high tiers are only gun fodder for cruisers...

No rush to high tier game play.... If anything, test the high tier waters with the easy/OP/over capable BBs...

From there, go with a cruiser. DDs only for the suicidal among us.

Members
329 posts
5,490 battles

This is a hard one to answer. It is very much a your mileage may vary sort of question. Personally I love T10 as most of the ships there are a blast to play as they are the pinnacle of their line and have all the bells and whistles. The guys above are mostly right about the negatives although for me I find the excitement of those encounters outweigh the bad parts. Mistakes do get punished heavily and games there tend to be cost neutral credit wise. I tend to use premium camo as I enjoy high tier play but on the ships I don't I tend to end up around even and I'm only an average player at best. Some matches you will lose money and some you will make a small amount. 

The Minotaur is a fun ship and I would recommend you work your way towards it and see for yourself whether you enjoy it or not. Some hate it some love it. Without spending money you will need to keep playing the lower tiers to fund your modules and ship purchases etc but it is doable. 

[H_]
Members
2,073 posts
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OP, the decision to push on to Tier 9/10 is just that; a decision, not an obligation. There is a lot of fun to be had at lower tiers, and I say this as someone who after nearly two years in the game has at least some ships at EVERY tier all the way up to 10.

The exception to this rule is if you intend to play regularly in Clan Battles, T10 Ranked and other such venues. In that case you really do need your own ship, in which you are comfortable and experienced.

Her post-battle repair costs are stupidly low, and if you want to you can even run her in T10 co-op WITHOUT premium time and without breaking the bank (and if you do well, you won't lose any credits at all). I bought her for those reasons (though I did buy a year of premium time at half price around Christmas time), and I am deliriously happy with her. 

Keep the Neptune. You may decide later to go back and play her, and if you sell her now you lose half of what you paid. Grind out the credits for the T8 ship. Chip away at the Neptune when your credits are looking really good and you can afford to lose some. At 971 battles, I think you shouldn't be looking toward T10 already; you should be diversifying your fleet across a broad range of ship types and nations to T6 or 7, even carriers. You will thank me for that later.

@warlords24, the Ensign gives sage advice.  Only if Clan battles are in your "want to do list...."

I ground the entire IJN lines (less CV's) and I'm not that good but, I prefer tier 8.  In fact, it is the "break even" point financially and I have four 19 point CPT's there for a reason;.....it a lot more fun and economical there.  I only have one tier 10, 19 point CPT in the Yammy.   And, I avoid Tier 9 and 10 every chance I get....!

What is above rings true......  But, we all march to the beat of different drums.....good hunting.

[PENND]
Members
250 posts
5,309 battles
9 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Nothing wrong with that. The E'burgh and NC are both pretty good, although I prefer the Fiji to the 'Burgh just for the T7 MM advantage.

Fiji is better because her guns are very usable at her tier where those same guns on Edinburgh start to feel underpowered at T8. That and Fiji is a beast anyways.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,782 posts
2,703 battles
18 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As I watch my coal reserves slowly climb, I have to decide whether to spread it out amongst lower tier ships (Revolution and Aigle currently), or dump it in to a single ship.

I may have to pick this one up.

[TARK]
Members
2,377 posts
1,277 battles
20 hours ago, warlords24 said:

Are you a 'try hard'? Then go on up.

If you want to have fun, stay out of tier 10 games. Those are for the try hards and the grinders. It's a job to them. If you dont help them win the way they want you too...the toxicity is exactly what you would expect from a bad manager at work when your poor performance reduces his Christmas bonus.

Tier 7 and below is where it's at for fun in this game.