You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grouchy_AESOP

Can't see your #'s increasing

46 comments in this topic

[ACES-]
Members
19 posts
357 battles

From a person trying to start the game

even with watching videos................have to say it is brutal starting up

I'm trying to learn to shoot, like everyone and there dog at tiers 3-4 can thread a needle at 200 yds

I want to like this game...............but man it is hard to like getting kicked in the nuts match after match, so I just can't see many new ppl joining and staying with it

Just a perspective from someone with just over 200 battles, an insight as to why not many new players stick around

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,641 posts
5 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

I'm trying to learn to shoot, like everyone and there dog at tiers 3-4 can thread a needle at 200 yds

I want to like this game...............but man it is hard to like getting kicked in the nuts match after match, so I just can't see many new ppl joining and staying with it

Just a perspective from someone with just over 200 battles, an insight as to why not many new players stick around

The game is more complicated than meets the eye, if it was simple it wouldn't remain interesting for a long time.  There is a learning curve.  We all went through it.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[FML]
Members
2,614 posts
12,346 battles
5 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

I understand, but I suggest you stick with it. Aiming is important and, whilst it seems simple, it is actually an important thing to practice.

Also, battleships tend to be less accurate generally, and particularly at low tier. Cruisers and destroyers are easier to practice aiming with...

[808]
Supertester
360 posts
5,942 battles
9 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

This game had a less than 10% retention rate after three months last time I saw the numbers.

With all the drama over the last six months I would not expect that number to have improved.  Your literally joining a WiP beta test.

As long as you keep that in mind it should manage your expectations.  Also, the player base is one of the most toxic around, so theres that as well.

When its good, it’s great, but those moments are fleeting so take a screen shot!

• Angry 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,528 posts
6,348 battles

Have you changed your crosshair to Dynamic, and do you understand how shell travel time relates to the tickmarks on the aiming reticule?

• Cool 2

-Members-
272 posts
3,159 battles

Welcome, @AESOP_Retd!

One thing I would HIGHLY recommend is making sure you are playing in CO-OP vs Random battles. This will give you a chance to learn how to lead, shoot, what aiming reticle works best for you, I recommend #7.

Please feel free to ask our amazing community advice as they will be happy to answer them.

All the best sir.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[KNMSU]
Members
5,805 posts
6,096 battles

You need to learn the basics in the low tiers - anything higher than about tier 3 is going to punish the hell out of a new player.

[FYL]
Members
648 posts
2,641 battles

Watching some videos of people playing or streaming and you'll see a lot of cool techniques. The game is a bit if a mess though its straightening up finally. Last year it seemed more stable and positive

[WOLF7]
Members
900 posts
3,886 battles

Give it time and dont put pressure on yourself.  Training rooms and CoOp exist for a reason.  Use them.  The learning curve is steep from about T4 upward for a brand new player.  

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,641 posts
16 minutes ago, Theodin said:

This game had a less than 10% retention rate after three months last time I saw the numbers.

With all the drama over the last six months I would not expect that number to have improved.  Your literally joining a WiP beta test.

As long as you keep that in mind it should manage your expectations.  Also, the player base is one of the most toxic around, so theres that as well.

When its good, it’s great, but those moments are fleeting so take a screen shot!

The devs constantly add new ships, new game modes, even new classes (subs are coming now). All of it has to constantly be re balanced with these new additions.  This game has always been a work in progress, which is a good thing.  The day an online games stops being a work in progress, is the beginning of the end.

[-BRS-]
Members
2,853 posts
16,383 battles
37 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

Best advice I can give you is if you think you might like this game Go buy a 10 point captain doesn't cost much and it gives you everything you need to start  Don't forget the nationality

Then put it on your favorite ship and play the heck out of it get good then you can start to grow

If you wanna learn to shoot play cruisers to start just because you can fire more

Edited by silverdahc

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,199 posts
11,631 battles
40 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

Coop is your friend.

[SALTY]
Members
144 posts
5,587 battles
40 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

I would worry a lot less about being able to shoot and more about being able to protect yourself.  

Map awareness, recognizing dangerous situations from less dangerous ones and knowing the defensive capabilities of your ship are much more important than landing the shots. 

You will figure out the mechanical shooting part of this as you go.  It will take you longer if you get dev struck out of a bunch of games. 

Members
1,928 posts
8,330 battles
44 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

The learning curve is pretty steep, and coming to the scene several years late doesn't help. Most players have had thousands of battles to practice.

[SALTY]
Members
144 posts
5,587 battles
3 minutes ago, paradat said:

Coop is your friend.

It will take you forever to be good at the game if you go this route. 

Like most low hanging fruit, the satisfaction is instant but not lasting. 

Members
1,928 posts
8,330 battles
1 minute ago, NoloContendere said:

Depends on what the OP is looking for in the game. Admittedly co-op and randoms are two completely different animals and, largely, require different skill sets to succeed at. This being said, basic mechanics like hitting a moving target are the same in every mode.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,199 posts
11,631 battles
Just now, NoloContendere said:

Agreed. My advice is to stay in Randoms and gut it out. That path however is not for everyone and if the op is struggling so much that they are blaming the game and suggesting that it is too hard..... well ….. Coop is your friend. 

• Cool 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
50 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

Bruv.  Play some co-op.  The ships drive straight as an arrow.  It is easier to learn on that.  You can also do training rooms and turn off the bots ability to shoot.  Both net you next to no exp, but it is a good learning tool.  I honestly think they should give aimbots to people in CoOp.   Give them tutorials above the mouse cursor as to WHY you are shooting there..  Let them learn how to lead.

Edited by Forum_Troll

[NFE]
Members
280 posts
2,991 battles
6 minutes ago, NoloContendere said:

It will take you forever to be good at the game if you go this route.  (co-op)

You have a point, I'm not a big fan of co-op. But there is a reason cops and soldiers don't train on a shooting range that fires back. My point being, sharpening one's shooting skills can be productive.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,376 posts
11,316 battles
44 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I understand, but I suggest you stick with it. Aiming is important and, whilst it seems simple, it is actually an important thing to practice.

Also, battleships tend to be less accurate generally, and particularly at low tier. Cruisers and destroyers are easier to practice aiming with...

This and slow down and in fact go backwards a bit and concentrate on playing tier 3 & 4 while working on getting better. Most people, there are exceptions, find tier 7 and below the best game play so there is no reason to race up the tiers.

[SALTY]
Members
144 posts
5,587 battles
1 minute ago, Gen_Saris said:

This being said, basic mechanics like hitting a moving target are the same in every mode.

Fair.

I would just say, if you play a lot of co-op or scenarios you develop co-op skills. That’s great. For some that’s really fun.

I get the intoxicating elements of co-op. 95% WR, no Richards to blast you in chat and simplicity of opponents. However, most of the interesting things/events in the game take place in PvP.  If you get drawn in by co-op you really pigeon hole yourself. 

[NFE]
Members
280 posts
2,991 battles

It looks like you are playing IJN DDs a lot. IMHO, these are the most difficult ships to play. Fair warning. Also, your winning percentage isn't that bad for how many battles you've fought.

[FGNE]
Members
627 posts
3,203 battles

I remember being a new player, everything was cool Tiers 1-3, then I reached Tier 4, and I just simply couldn't understand what was I doing wrong.

First thing I did was research on the ship I was commanding (the Karlsruhe), I started looking in wikipedia, so I learned about the ship's intended role, that gave me some insight, then of course I checked the game's wiki, and some youtube channels... it was awful full of concepts I couldn't get the grasp on (i.e. what the *** is overmatch, and sigma, and <name whatever concept you hear more advanced players talking about> ?!?!).

Of course, I gradually learned the mechanics of the game, just take it slowly, one thing at a time.

Here are some recommendations:

• As others have pointed out, learn to read the interface, it will give you a lot of what you need to be more accurate.
  • Keep an eye on the minimap, often times I used to complain that there was no support, when in reality I mindlessly charged the enemy without noticing the rest of the fleet went west and I went east by myself.
  • And finally, always ask yourself "what could I have done better?", sure, the blame will sometimes be on the others, but by being self-analytical you'll start to recognize situations and act upon them based on your previous experiences.
  • Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,763 posts
25,417 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Have you changed your crosshair to Dynamic, and do you understand how shell travel time relates to the tickmarks on the aiming reticule?

A thousand times this!  I literally playd 1000's of games without knowing there was this reticule option.

Hang in there.  It took me like 8,000 games to get to 50% WR.   Marksmanship is indispensable in this game.  You'll find that good players, especially those who play ranked in levels 5 to 1 usually don't miss when they shoot.

Just play coop games 'til you know you can hit well.