Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Average_Joe

I'm done with Defense of Naval Station Newport

27 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
583 posts
26,358 battles

Yes, it's possible to five star Newport IF you have the right team.  I've done it a few times but more often than not the random team gets defeated.  Playing Newport is a waste of time, flags, and premium consumables.  It might be a good OP with Tier 7 ships, but it's a bad joke as it is set up now.

If I want to gain some XP in a ship or level up a captain, I'll take the salt in randoms over loss after loss after loss playing Newport. 

End of rant.  :cap_old:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
7,780 posts
14,942 battles

Summertime is here.  Schools are out.  The kiddies are playing.

Perhaps WG needs to dumb down the game on weekends, holiday breaks, and summer vacations.

The notion of studying armor schemes, proper ammo, angling, and crossfire is too much like work for these kids.  Just charge in, blast away, then complain they weren't supported.

Maybe take a break till September.

[SOCOM]
Members
804 posts
25,758 battles

I totally agree with you, I hit the jap cruiser at 10 k with a full broad side of my Arizona and got 2500 damage.  and of course every shell that hit me set me on fire, The frustration is not worth the time or effort, most of the scenarios are crap. Guess I will stay forever in co op.

[GWG]
Members
7,780 posts
14,942 battles
14 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

Yes, it's possible to five star Newport IF you have the right team.  I've done it a few times but more often than not the random team gets defeated.  Playing Newport is a waste of time, flags, and premium consumables.  It might be a good OP with Tier 7 ships, but it's a bad joke as it is set up now.

If I want to gain some XP in a ship or level up a captain, I'll take the salt in randoms over loss after loss after loss playing Newport. 

End of rant.  :cap_old:

Another opportunity is to use the port chat system and try to form an English speaking division there.
You'll find a better quality of teams.  Last time I did this, I flagged up for uber FXP earnings and we got decent 6 man teams that worked well.

Played all evening and earned enough to get half a Nelson.  Couple missions I was the first to be deleted -- If I did, I free camera'd out and spotted for my team.  (xxx  Shots are too long.)

Use the in-game voice chat.  Learned to work as a team.  We had some unicum players in there too.

• Cool 1

-Members-
272 posts
3,291 battles

46 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Another opportunity is to use the port chat system and try to form an English speaking division there.
You'll find a better quality of teams.  Last time I did this, I flagged up for uber FXP earnings and we got decent 6 man teams that worked well.

Played all evening and earned enough to get half a Nelson. 

Use the in-game voice chat.  Learned to work as a team.  We had some unicum players in there too.

Good suggestions @AVR__Project, thanks! :Smile_honoring:

I know there are some die-hard Newport players out there.  Is there any advice you could offer to help out @Joe_918145 ?

Hope the advice helps Joe or if not that you find an operation that you enjoy more and can dive right into. :Smile_izmena:

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
583 posts
26,358 battles

Funny thing about my post is I got mad after I went full potato and got myself sunk at the beginning of the third wave.  Since I was the third boat on the team that was sunk, there was no way we were going to win, right?  So I exited the game (not my usual move), came here, and made my rant post.  Went back to port to see how bad we lost.  The team had carried me to a three star victory.  LOL! 

Lightninger has done some nice work explaining Newport.  I prefer to play solo in OPs, but the knowledge of how the red waves rotate is very helpful.  I only wish there was a way to get everyone on the team some training before they played.

I still think I'll sit this one out until it changes next week. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,215 posts
26,997 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Summertime is here.  Schools are out.  The kiddies are playing.

Perhaps WG needs to dumb down the game on weekends, holiday breaks, and summer vacations.

The notion of studying armor schemes, proper ammo, angling, and crossfire is too much like work for these kids.  Just charge in, blast away, then complain they weren't supported.

Maybe take a break till September.

Players are generally very bad.  The season doesn't matter.

Last Summer, a buddy of mine, even a fellow forum member, complained about the declining level of play in Randoms.  I told her it's always been like this.  Use MM Monitor every game and you see exactly what you're surrounded with.  It didn't matter with the time of the year.

She then tells me that she's going to take a break for the rest of Summer from WoWS and return, "Once the kids are back to school."

I warned her that it's not going to change.  So she took her break and then returned in October 2018.  'Lo and behold, it was still bad.

Image result for shocked pikachu

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,215 posts
26,997 battles
37 minutes ago, commando_brian said:

The Op needs a tune up,a few less DDs in the 3rd wave would help

The DDs are easy to deal with if there are enough Cruisers.  But the problem last time I did this Op, is that BBs are wildly popular and do not have the accuracy nor DPM to kill the early DD waves.

BBs are great in staying power for the Operation, but Cruisers are critical in getting 5 stars for this.  IMO of course.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
1,443 posts
20,429 battles
3 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Funny thing about my post is I got mad after I went full potato and got myself sunk at the beginning of the third wave.  Since I was the third boat on the team that was sunk, there was no way we were going to win, right?  So I exited the game (not my usual move), came here, and made my rant post.  Went back to port to see how bad we lost.  The team had carried me to a three star victory.  LOL! 

Lightninger has done some nice work explaining Newport.  I prefer to play solo in OPs, but the knowledge of how the red waves rotate is very helpful.  I only wish there was a way to get everyone on the team some training before they played.

I still think I'll sit this one out until it changes next week. 

I'm glad I could help. The wave spawn pattern was something I just figured out from playing it myself. Once you develop a theory, it isn't hard to verify it and change as needed and I have yet to see a deviation from what I said in my video for this. 

• Cool 1

[K0]
Members
1,756 posts
9,057 battles

The ideal composition is 3 battleships (more barrels the better) and 4 cruisers (preferably light cruisers with HE). No destroyers is pretty obvious for most operations, but no carrier isn't. Carriers can either spread their damage across a bunch of ships or take some time to focus down one target. The problem is that while being focused by a carrier can feel oppressive in PvP game modes, in PvE game modes their burst damage is lackluster to AI that don't care about dying (except by torpedoes, they'll dodge those). This is why carriers don't fare well in co-op.

Newport is all about focus fire, and the breaking point occurs during the second and third waves, which usually blend together. Players usually go all out on the first wave and still have some cohesion for the second, but by the time the third wave shows up they are scrambling to get into position. The destroyers almost inevitably slip through, immediately failing two objectives and starting the final wave before the team has even finished cleaning up the third wave. Having a carrier for this part to start damaging the DDs early seems like a great idea, but in reality it won't do enough damage in time to make up for the out-of-position cruisers, some of which needed to pull of the area to heal up.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,491 posts
11,204 battles
13 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

The ideal composition is 3 battleships (more barrels the better) and 4 cruisers (preferably light cruisers with HE). No destroyers is pretty obvious for most operations, but no carrier isn't. Carriers can either spread their damage across a bunch of ships or take some time to focus down one target. The problem is that while being focused by a carrier can feel oppressive in PvP game modes, in PvE game modes their burst damage is lackluster to AI that don't care about dying (except by torpedoes, they'll dodge those). This is why carriers don't fare well in co-op.

Newport is all about focus fire, and the breaking point occurs during the second and third waves, which usually blend together. Players usually go all out on the first wave and still have some cohesion for the second, but by the time the third wave shows up they are scrambling to get into position. The destroyers almost inevitably slip through, immediately failing two objectives and starting the final wave before the team has even finished cleaning up the third wave. Having a carrier for this part to start damaging the DDs early seems like a great idea, but in reality it won't do enough damage in time to make up for the out-of-position cruisers, some of which needed to pull of the area to heal up.

CV has the single largest influence on the success rate in Newport, no class comes close on its potential influence.

And that's also the main problem with players using CVs, they don't utilize its potential well or just simply become a liability.

• Cool 1

[K0]
Members
1,756 posts
9,057 battles
6 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

CV has the single largest influence on the success rate in Newport, no class comes close on its potential influence.

And that's also the main problem with players using CVs, they don't utilize its potential well or just simply become a liability.

I beg to differ, as my experience in solo queue has shown time and time again that while the constant spotting is fantastic, the missing DPM of a 4th cruiser or burst damage and tanking of a 3rd battleship are more important. Though, if that CV was replacing a destroyer in queue then I guess it's not so bad. I've seen exactly one destroyer player do well in Newport.

[ECCHI]
Members
29 posts
3,827 battles

There also seems to still be a lot of debate on what the best tactic for holding the line for the required time is. Personally I'm in the group thats against camping the circle as 90% of the time I see that end in line getting breached and a 5 star run getting denied. However I still encounter a lot of players who swear it works, and to be fair if you can assemble a super team you can pull it off but I find camping in the circle strat to leave almost no room for error because by the time enemies get in range they're generally less then 20KM from the circle and moving fast, if you do that math its just not a wise strategy.

As far as ship types go, I feel that at least 3 cruisers are needed just for their higher rate of fire, and then at least 2 BBs to be able to provide needed high alpha damage. DDs can be useful but high amount of cruisers in the OP means they generally just don't survive well to be much use despite being potentially useful in dealing with the BBs in the final wave. CVs are a total wild card now, they'll either be, meh, useless or make you happy one showed up, but thats the rework for you.

I feel this Operation is a lot easier now then it was in the past (mean we don't even have to worry about enemy planes anymore) but the getting 5 star still remains a struggle and i feel that largely just due to user error rather then the operation itself. So WG can dumb it down more but, at the end of the day if the bulk of the team fails to play smart, the results will always be disappointing for those of us trying to get 5 stars.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Just played it.

Reminded of why I stopped playing it.

"Team" after "team" after "team" that just rushes out and dies, leaving a couple players left to endure the inevitable failure.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,491 posts
11,204 battles
1 hour ago, Flashtirade said:

I beg to differ, as my experience in solo queue has shown time and time again that while the constant spotting is fantastic, the missing DPM of a 4th cruiser or burst damage and tanking of a 3rd battleship are more important. Though, if that CV was replacing a destroyer in queue then I guess it's not so bad. I've seen exactly one destroyer player do well in Newport.

What use is a dpm if the ship is not able to use it depending on where it is in relation to the enemy ships that comes in.

The CV can obliterate the DDs with torpedoes and makes everyone's life much much more easier

In my solo queue experience, time after time I see players not in the right positions to even use their firepower and often times makes it back far too late to do something about it, CVs on the other hand can respond to such situations quickly and deal devastating strikes on DDs and cruisers that comes close to the harbor or ships that needs to be killed as a priority.

Again this is assuming you have a competent CV to utilize its strength to its fullest, no ship has the flexibility that the CV has which is invaluable in Newport.

[PVE]
Members
2,191 posts
7,680 battles
3 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Have you sent a replay of your carrier play to @Lightninger for this op so he can make a training film? 

I watched the one for Aegis and found it to be really helpful.  I like playing CV in these ops, but I don't want to be a detriment to the team.

You are my sensei for all things carrier.  I appreciate it greatly, oh wise one.  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
1,443 posts
20,429 battles
Just now, Captain_Slattery said:

Have you sent a replay of your carrier play to @Lightninger for this op so he can make a training film? 

I watched the one for Aegis and found it to be really helpful.  I like playing CV in these ops, but I don't want to be a detriment to the team.

You are my sensei for all things carrier.  I appreciate it greatly, oh wise one.  :cap_like:

There is already a replay with the Ranger in the Newport thread I made here and a Ryujo one will be up tomorrow. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
2,191 posts
7,680 battles
1 minute ago, Lightninger said:

There is already a replay with the Ranger in the Newport thread I made here and a Ryujo one will be up tomorrow. 

I went looking and found it in a Newport "rage" thread which I proceeded to bump back to the first page.  Thanks.  The Ryujo video will be timely since I just added her to my port.

Your threads really need to be pinned to the top of this forum.  Great work on them, btw.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,443 posts
20,429 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I went looking and found it in a Newport "rage" thread which I proceeded to bump back to the first page.  Thanks.  The Ryujo video will be timely since I just added her to my port.

Your threads really need to be pinned to the top of this forum.  Great work on them, btw.

Do you need a link to my Newport thread here on the forum? I will have another replay to add to it next week as well. 

[PVE]
Members
2,191 posts
7,680 battles
1 minute ago, Lightninger said:

Do you need a link to my Newport thread here on the forum? I will have another replay to add to it next week as well. 

Link please.  Thanks for that.  :Smile_great:

Who knows, maybe one day I will grow a pair and actually try to play a destroyer in one of these ops!   :Smile_trollface:

[A-D-F]
Members
1,443 posts
20,429 battles
5 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Link please.  Thanks for that.  :Smile_great:

Who knows, maybe one day I will grow a pair and actually try to play a destroyer in one of these ops!   :Smile_trollface:

Here you go.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,443 posts
20,429 battles
6 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

Doing well in an operation has less to do with your ship and more to do with other more important factors. While some ship types may be harder to perform well in, that doesn't make them a bad choice. 

The most important factors for doing well in a operation are in order of importance:

1) Knowing the operation well.
2) Knowing your ship well.
3) Having a solid strat you are using, whether it is something you developed yourself or something you learned from somebody else like watching one of my videos. 

I had someone tell me during a coop game that he or she used my destroyer strat in Narai and had a 245k damage game with the Maass.

Edited by Lightninger

[ARGSY]
Members
25,666 posts
19,741 battles
1 hour ago, Springfield_Fats said:

They need to remove it. It's the least engaging scenario by a massive stretch. Get PvE carriers working and bring back Raptor.

Raptor IS returning; IIRC the bot CVs are being trialled in the PTS right now, and I think the operation will be as well (hasn't gone live where I am yet, so I cannot say for sure).

The problem with Newport is the players who don't understand that they can't let the first three waves cross the borderline. That's the only reason I've seen for consistent failures.

My feelings on rocket planes are variable. One side says listen to @Vader_Sama and just don't; the other says get some fast planes out to spot for your team ASAP so they can start shooting. Not as much of an issue for my Furious, whose Hurricanes are actually slower than any of the others. Most of the problem I have with taking a CV is that I'm not yet that practised at killing destroyers with them. Practice makes perfect, I guess...

From watching @Lightninger's vids, it's clear that if you take a DD you have to take a Gnevny or one of its pan-Asian brethren, which has sufficiently strong AP that it can carve up the light cruisers you get in this op. Anshan SHOULD be the best since she has longer-range torpedoes and can also torpedo destroyers, but against that the gun rotation rates aren't as friendly and not everyone can afford premium ships.

Sign in to follow this