Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kingsabre

Slot 3 upgrade for RN CL?

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
22 posts
900 battles

So I used to run the old AA upgrade (+20% AA range)... but obviously that’s gone with the CV rework...

Is the new AA upgrade a good choice? (+2 flak bursts)

If not, what would you run instead?

It seems the prevailing wisdom that most cruisers don’t need Aiming Systems...

RN cruisers already have pretty fast turret traverse (plus don’t want to give up ROF) so MBM2 is out...

I’m not running a secondary build LOL...

How about the “Special” Smoke Screen Upgrade available in the Armory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,543
[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,549 battles

That smoke screen upgrade is mostly useless except for 3 ships. Haida, huang he and perth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,544
[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,738 battles

The AA upgrade that gives +2 flak is USELESS. Made a tiny amount of sense when flak was quite powerful in 0.8.0, but they nerfed flak in favor of continuous fire (a good idea) and many CV players are now quite good at dodging flak. Basically, it's about as useful now as the Acquisition mod no one ever ever uses.

The smoke screen upgrade only boosts action time, not sitting time. So it's pretty much completely wasted on anything besides Haida and Perth as they have moving smoke.

Only one real option exists for you in that slot: The gun dispersion and torpedo traverse upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,691
[ARGSY]
Members
25,656 posts
19,737 battles
15 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Only one real option exists for you in that slot: The gun dispersion and torpedo traverse upgrade.

An argument can possibly be made for Main Battery Mod 2 - until Neptune, the RN doesn't have the fastest-turning turrets - but I agree that Aiming Systems Mod 1 is probably the optimal choice overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
900 battles
4 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

That smoke screen upgrade is mostly useless except for 3 ships. Haida, huang he and perth

 

4 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

The smoke screen upgrade only boosts action time, not sitting time. So it's pretty much completely wasted on anything besides Haida and Perth as they have moving smoke.

 

Huh, I would’ve thought the RN cruisers would benefit since they only get a couple puffs of smoke, and this would give them a longer/ larger cloud...

...then again, I don’t tend to “overshoot” and drift out of my smoke anyway so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,543
[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,549 battles
50 minutes ago, Kingsabre said:

 

 

Huh, I would’ve thought the RN cruisers would benefit since they only get a couple puffs of smoke, and this would give them a longer/ larger cloud...

...then again, I don’t tend to “overshoot” and drift out of my smoke anyway so...

It decreases the length of those puffs though. So it ends up being a really short smoke screen. It ends up being longer on those that generate for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,481
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles

ASM1 is pretty useless for a normal Cruiser because Cruisers are already accurate by default.

 

Graf Spee, Kronshtadt, Alaska?  Sure, knock yourself out.  But normal Cruisers fielding regular sized guns?  No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
773
[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,790 battles
8 hours ago, Kingsabre said:

So I used to run the old AA upgrade (+20% AA range)... but obviously that’s gone with the CV rework...

Is the new AA upgrade a good choice? (+2 flak bursts)

If not, what would you run instead?

It seems the prevailing wisdom that most cruisers don’t need Aiming Systems...

RN cruisers already have pretty fast turret traverse (plus don’t want to give up ROF) so MBM2 is out...

I’m not running a secondary build LOL...

How about the “Special” Smoke Screen Upgrade available in the Armory?

Don't listen to the people telling you that upgrade in the armory is mostly useless. It is another 10 seconds of run time on the smoke, for a RN CL that is pretty significant. 

So instead of a action time of 10 seconds it is now 20 which is the same as a German DD. 

I use that mod on my RN CL's from Tier 7 to 10 as well as using the commander upgrade for smoke to increase the size, 

use it to help a team mate or to 'NINJA VANISH' when you can. It has saved me countless times and is a must for my style of play. 

I never sit in the smoke, I will be dropping it as I need to go into a turn to run etc..... 

any questions let me know.

 

shot-19.07.03_17.19.01-0070.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,481
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles
1 hour ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Don't listen to the people telling you that upgrade in the armory is mostly useless. It is another 10 seconds of run time on the smoke, for a RN CL that is pretty significant. 

So instead of a action time of 10 seconds it is now 20 which is the same as a German DD. 

I use that mod on my RN CL's from Tier 7 to 10 as well as using the commander upgrade for smoke to increase the size, 

use it to help a team mate or to 'NINJA VANISH' when you can. It has saved me countless times and is a must for my style of play. 

I never sit in the smoke, I will be dropping it as I need to go into a turn to run etc..... 

any questions let me know.

 

shot-19.07.03_17.19.01-0070.jpg

You grossly exaggerate when you say "So instead of a action time of 10 seconds it is now 20 which is the same as a German DD."

Because the mod only increases action time by 30%, not 100% :Smile_smile:

Minotaur's Smoke II consumable, without the Smoke Upgrade.

8tXarFJ.jpg

 

Now with the Smoke Upgrade installed in Slot 3.

aAdbGVA.jpg

 

You went from 15 seconds stock active time without the upgrade to 19.5 seconds with it.  That's not much.

The active duration of the smoke drops from 113 seconds duration without the upgrade to 107.35 seconds.

 

The upgrade looks like a mediocre at best installation for RN CLs.

The way the upgrade strengthens is buffing the smoke active generation time, but it's by percentage.  RN CLs have very short smoke generation time to begin with, so the gain isn't noticeable.

 

Now, Smoke Screen Expert I can see the merit of taking.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
773
[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,790 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You grossly exaggerate when you say "So instead of a action time of 10 seconds it is now 20 which is the same as a German DD."

Because the mod only increases action time by 30%, not 100% :Smile_smile:

Minotaur's Smoke II consumable, without the Smoke Upgrade.

8tXarFJ.jpg

 

Now with the Smoke Upgrade installed in Slot 3.

aAdbGVA.jpg

 

You went from 15 seconds stock active time without the upgrade to 19.5 seconds with it.  That's not much.

The active duration of the smoke drops from 113 seconds duration without the upgrade to 107.35 seconds.

 

The upgrade looks like a mediocre at best installation for RN CLs.

The way the upgrade strengthens is buffing the smoke active generation time, but it's by percentage.  RN CLs have very short smoke generation time to begin with, so the gain isn't noticeable.

 

Now, Smoke Screen Expert I can see the merit of taking.

Sorry, you are correct about the time on the upgrade and the benefit that it gives via increased time. 

However 4 seconds in a CL can mean a lot too and I personally have benefited from the extra smoke time (as well as the commander ability) So while you might be looking at the math, vs your own opinion on how you think it helps/ does not help. 
I have been running that configuration for over 9 months and it has served me very well so my collected information through personal experience already shows that there is a lot of possible outcomes and that it is not just a simple matter of math. 

 

Edit: I've attached my Ships individual stats so you can see there might be merit to my claims. 

shot-19.07.03_20.57.18-0722.jpg

Edited by Salvo_Creative
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,994
[FML]
Members
4,314 posts
16,490 battles
12 hours ago, Kingsabre said:

Is the new AA upgrade a good choice? (+2 flak bursts)

If not, what would you run instead?

It seems the prevailing wisdom that most cruisers don’t need Aiming Systems...

So, I run either the new AA upgrade module, or the Aiming Systems Mod 1, primarily depending on how strong the ship's AA is and whether I have smoke or not to hide from Carriers.  For instance, my mid-tier UK CLs run the Aiming Systems Mod 1 as they have smoke, and their primary targets are DDs that require direct hits from the AP rounds.  However, my USN cruisers use the AA module as their HE is also useful against BBs and other such targets. 

Having said that, the most recent update has neutered carriers.  As such, the dire need for the AA module has been somewhat reduced...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×