You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Huntn

World of Warships Rules To Live By

20 comments in this topic

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles
As an average to below average World of Warships, primarily Random Battle Player, I have made some observations. What have I overlooked, what is in error, what can I add? 

• What’s the Rush? Military Intelligence, ie knowing where the enemy is, unless you are a Destroyer zipping to a zone to secure it fast and uncontested, for other ships it is better to move at half speed until you see how the order of battle develops. Everything else in this list is built on this. In WoWs this is applied to the tactical battle. Technically you know the order of Battle because you know how many ships and what types are in your battle. You know where they started, but what you don’t know immediately is there they are going. 
  • First seen, first shot- You want to be the first one they see? The one that they all line up their guns on first? :cap_rambo:This has more to do with Battleship and Cruiser tactics. The reality is that DDs are often expected to be first seen so order of battle intelligence can be transmitted to the team. This goes with the previous rule.
  • Use terrain whenever you can- associated with the previous rule. If you watch a ship that for the entire battle is in a position to be shot, their health will be lower than the ship that uses terrain to their advantage.
  • Situational and spacial awareness- There is a learning curve involved. It was important in World of Tanks if you were a WoTs player, but it is much more important in World of Warships, because in WoTs you had terrain, but in WoWs, sometimes you have islands that can partially shield your retreat, but more times than not, you won’t. The nightmare scenario is spending the last 5 minutes of a battle running away, but you can’t get away from a group of ships slowly killing you.
  • Being Alone Is Generally Bad- The last thing you want is to be alone, and have  3 ships pop up who can see you and start shooting. You’ll also be a likely carrier and  destroyer target especially driving a Battleship. The key here is not being alone. A primary example is the start of a battle and you zip off by yourself with absolutely no idea where the enemy is headed. 
  • View distance- just mentioned for awareness. By the time you are in view distance, you are well within shooting distance. Do you really want a bunch of ships shooting at you? For newbs, the game tells you when you are seen, and  there are tier 1  Captain skills that tell you  how many ships are pointing their guns at you, and when you are being fired at. The not so obvious problem, that quickly becomes obvious is that by the time you are aware that  you are in over your head, it’s probably too late. 
  • Numbers Win- There are maybe 2 or 3 tactical battles in addition to individual 1v1 fights on the map in a typical Battle. While there are variables such as ship level and type, and skill of players, based on competent players, whoever has more numbers in any particular tactical fight in one part of the map usually wins that fight. It is pure numbers, who owns most of the bullets being fired. 
  • More numbers- as a lone ship, never drive into a group of the enemy, in other words never voluntarily put yourself in a position where multiple ships are shooting at you. You’re dead, you just don’t realize it in time.
  • Stay on the edge of your firing range- unless you are 1v1 or the group you are with has a numbers (number of ships) or level, or perceived advantage in the tactical fight such as the enemy’s health is low compared to yours. This can reduce the number of ships shooting at and hitting you. As you get more experience, you’ll get a better feel for this.
  • Be aware which ships have torpedoes- if they do and you don’t you are at a distinct disadvantage. 
  • Caution for sitting stationary- wether it be in a smoke screen or behind a rock, you can become an easy target for torpedoes, ship or air launched. 
  • Concentrate power- Based on equivalent ships, in a 3v3 fight, all 3 ships shooting one enemy ship has the advantage over splitting fire between multiple ships.
  • Flanking the enemy can be good or bad depending.
  • Flanking Good- when you can flank, the enemies attention is divided, you can maintain your distance and you are not being shot at by multiple ships, most applicable if you are a lone ship.  
  • Flanking Bad- you are at the edge of the map and suddenly there are a lot of them, they are all firing at you and you can’t maintain your distance as they kill you. 
  • Owning Zones- There is a distinct advantage to owning zones early in the game, so if they can be grabbed cheaply, you have gained an advantage, although it can be lost. Some outcomes of battles are determined by this because the side that owns the zones can play defensive stand back  and focus on whoever enters the zone pummeling them. However ultimately if your team is good at killing other ships, that will overcome zone ownership. 
  • Destroyers- these little bastards can be ball breakers due to one reason, some of them have an obscene number of torpedoes,  which IMO is unrealistic, but they were given this capability by Wargaming to be competitive in this game.  This is why in a Battleship you don’t ever want to be by yourself if you can help it,  you want to be erratic when you become aware of a DD in your vicinity, and you want to be maneuvering to be perpendicular not parallel to them so when 12 torps come your way, you can hopefully avoid most of them.
  • More destroyers- think twice about coming around the corner of an island if you saw a DD on the other side of it. You might be greated by a face full of torpedoes. 
  • Know your flanks- This actually came up in a recent battle. I called "Right Flank" saying we were being flanked on the right and someone told me, but that is on the left side of the map!
    When you start a battle your ships are lined up facing the enemy. At the left of your line from your perspective is the left flank and to the right is the right flank. For practical purposes using your base as a reference, you are using the width of the map  as the line of battle with the base as your anchor point to avoid confusion. So when you hear a reference about Left Flank or Right Flank, you have to remember which way your ships are pointed, starting at the top of the map or from the bottom of the map. So on the map, if your side starts at the bottom pointing up, the Left Flank and the left side of the map will match. But if you start at the top of the map facing down, your left Flank is on the right side of the map. Just remember where your base is and which way you were facing when the battle started.
Edited by Huntn
  • Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
721 posts
5,840 battles

Good list :cap_like:

Most of them are easy to remember. Others take longer to sink in (pun intended!)

• Cool 1

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles
13 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Good list :cap_like:

Most of them are easy to remember. Others take longer to sink in (pun intended!)

Thanks! :D

Added to post1:

• Stay on the edge of your firing range- unless you are 1v1 or the group you are with has a numbers (number of ships) or level, or perceived advantage in the tactical fight such as the enemy’s health is low compared to yours. 
  • Use terrain whenever you can- while  keeping this in mind: The first seen is the first shot.
  • Be aware which ships have torpedoes- if they do and you don’t you are at a distinct disadvantage. 
  • Caution for sitting stationary- wether it be in a smoke screen or behind a rock, you can become an easy target for torpedoes, ship or air launched. 
Edited by Huntn

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles
  • Know your flanks- This actually came up in a recent battle. I called "Right Flank" saying we were being flanked on the right and someone told me, but that is on the left side of the map!
    When you start a battle your ships are lined up facing the enemy. At the left of your line from your perspective is the left flank and to the right is the right flank. So when you hear a reference about Left Flank or Right Flank, you have to remember which way your ships are pointed, starting at the top of the map or from the bottom of the map. So on the map, if your side starts at the bottom pointing up, the Left Flank and the left side of the map will match. But if you start at the top of the map facing down, your left Flank is on the right side of the map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanking_maneuver

Edited by Huntn

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles

I know my flanks, but I don't expect anyone else to have a grasp of even basic military terminology.

So I draw attention the side of the map - right or left, and or the grid square by control-left clicking the map point.

Much clearer, to everyone.

• Cool 1

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles
8 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

I know my flanks, but I don't expect anyone else to have a grasp of even basic military terminology.

So I draw attention the side of the map - right or left, and or the grid square by control-left clicking the map point.

Much clearer, to everyone.

I posted this for when someone like me uses the term,  it is understood by others. However, I do see what you are saying..:cap_cool:

Edited by Huntn

[TNG-3]
Members
277 posts
18,425 battles

If there is a DD somewere around/infront of you... Torps ARE comming for you

If you dont know were that enemy DD is, Torps are probably comming for you

If you turn/expose etc. in a ship with a citadel, always assume there is some die hard super unicum BB player somewere just waiting to blapp you in the next second

If you rush into a cap full speed forward and have good stealth, dont assume you can get out easily should you be detected anyways and run into trouble

If the enemy has radar (learn what ships have radar at what range and duration) always assume they will use it to cover caps, sneaky passages etc. Also always assume its ready when you least can afford to be radared

Dont eleminate yourself out of the fight for minutes by taking a long way around certain maps (note the "no BB sign" actualy in one of them...) in a slow BB...

• Cool 2

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
10 hours ago, Huntn said:

I posted this for when someone like me uses the term,  it is understood by others. However, I do see what you are saying..:cap_cool:

It's good terminology to know, agreed. However, pretty much every job I've ever had has revolved around communication, and I've learned the philosophy that if I'm the one communicating, it's on me to do everything I can to be clear and understood.

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles

Constantly I see this in Random Battles, as a general statement, the inability of the average player to understand and recognize the importance of staying on the edge of enemy ships weapons range, to avoid plowing into the the firing range of multiple ships, and understanding that when you are the bottom tier of battle you ARE the preferred target, the easy kill. I'll throw out an exception, when you are a destroyer, it does not matter if you are bottom tier and there are times when you must operate within the firing range of multiple enemy ships using smoke to your advantage.

The primary challenge of Random Battles is that for all intents and purposes you are a free agent. You don't know the competence or the motivations of your fellow team mates. Consequently you must act conservatively as if you can't count on your team mates to make competent logical decisions.  It is a challenge to get the group to act coherently, and honestly there is not normally any "getting". Yes you can toss out suggestions/orders and sometimes someone pays attentions, but mostly you just observe and base your actions on those around you. The most dangerous thing you can do is act aggressively without team support. These battles besides having a good aim, is mostly a numbers battle. With all things equal 2v1 is bad if you are the 1, and 3v1 or more is terrible odds against you, yet I see it daily the lone wolf who drives straight into the firing range of 3 enemy ships and is killed in short order.

What is interesting, I've said this before, that I thought Tanks was the harder game when I first started playing Warships. But after the benefit of many battles, it's clear that the challenge of Warships is developing a competent spacial awareness. Tanks is much more tactical, and there is always seems to be a rock or building to hide behind. Not so in Warships. Once you have blundered into the firing range of multiple ships, if you are alone, you are  probably toast. 

Edited by Huntn

Members
622 posts
8,775 battles
On 7/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, Huntn said:
    When you start a battle your ships are lined up facing the enemy. At the left of your line from your perspective is the left flank and to the right is the right flank. So when you hear a reference about Left Flank or Right Flank, you have to remember which way your ships are pointed, starting at the top of the map or from the bottom of the map. So on the map, if your side starts at the bottom pointing up, the Left Flank and the left side of the map will match. But if you start at the top of the map facing down, your left Flank is on the right side of the map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanking_maneuver

I find that there is much less confusion in WOWS if you avoid "right" and "left" altogether. 

North/South/East/West are fixed areas on a map that never change based on your spawn or position. Try using them as descriptors instead(also NE/SE/NW/SW).

"Push west flank" should be more certain and less likely to be misinterpreted than "Push left flank".

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 2

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles

This sounds good to me to avoid confusion. I think there will still be folks who don't understand what flanks are, but the compass reference might help them. :)

[A-O]
Members
873 posts
9,244 battles
On 7/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, Huntn said:
As an average to below average World of Warships, primarily Random Battle Player, I have made some observations. What have I overlooked, what is in error, what can I add? 

Great list !  +1

I use East / West instead of Left / Right to announce where i am going.

Edited by freggo
content correction

Members
383 posts
3,846 battles
On 3/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, Huntn said:

Constantly I see this in Random Battles, as a general statement, the inability of the average player to understand and recognize the importance of staying on the edge of enemy ships weapons range, to avoid plowing into the the firing range of multiple ships, and understanding that when you are the bottom tier of battle you ARE the preferred target, the easy kill. I'll throw out an exception, when you are a destroyer, it does not matter if you are bottom tier and there are times when you must operate within the firing range of multiple enemy ships using smoke to your advantage.

The idea of not getting shot at by enemies by using range is effective, but also makes you less capable as you will be outside the effective range in most ships. The last thing you want to be is the German BB at 15km worried about getting lit on fire. At that range you'll be doing more damage to your team by being ineffective offensively. 

The idea that you don't want to get focused by multiple targets, or in a position to get annihilated by a high damage target (broadside against a BB) is valid, but there are multiple ways to negate this issue that go beyond just leveraging the enemies range.

1. Armor - a well positioned BB can tank multiple enemy BBs when leveraging armor. This is why platooning multiple BBs together doesn't work if you all go 1 direction. 3 BBs in one 1 spot means 1 angle to worry about. 2 Bbs in two different angles is harder to negate with armor, and thus is more dangerous.

2. Hard cover - You could have 5+ people in front of u, but only have to fight one if you leverage hard cover. Multiple ships with high DPM and low armor become very effective when played around and off an island. An island can protect your approach, your retreat against solo pushing targets, and protect you from getting shot at by multiple enemies. Utilizing cover is one of the easiest to dismiss, but most valuable tools in any match for any ship

3. Leveraging longer effective engagement distances - Going back to my previous example, a single RU cruiser can "beat" multiple German BBs at range due to having a longer effective engagement distance. Its very possible the RU cruiser will slowly lose health to random RNG rounds, and wont be able to kill the German BBs quickly, but if the German BBs spend their time shooting at 15km targets with minimal or no damage, they are wasting their valuable time doing nothing. Other examples would be a USN Cruisers in an open water fight against another cruiser. Due to the floaty nature of most USN cruiser guns, fighting at range is hard against mobile targets, so even with a numbers advantage, the effectiveness within a ships range differs dramatically.

Tier placement doesn't matter much if you leverage a ships advantages and disadvantages, a low tier in an "effective" position will almost always be a high tier in a "ineffective" position. A tier 6 Cruiser can beat a tier 8 BB if played correctly. The margin of error in most low vs high tier engagements is usually pretty low, so you have to stay on your toes, but there is never a situation where you become useless. In the same vein being high tier doesn't mean you can go out and fight multiple low tiers without worry.

For those that have played WoT, the tier differences in this game mean less then the ship capabilities for each class and ship line. Each tier gets new tech (radar/smoke/heal) that might change the game, but there are basically no hard changes between differences in tiers. 

• Cool 1

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles
On 3/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, sargentmki said:

The idea of not getting shot at by enemies by using range is effective, but also makes you less capable as you will be outside the effective range in most ships. The last thing you want to be is the German BB at 15km worried about getting lit on fire. At that range you'll be doing more damage to your team by being ineffective offensively. 

The idea that you don't want to get focused by multiple targets, or in a position to get annihilated by a high damage target (broadside against a BB) is valid, but there are multiple ways to negate this issue that go beyond just leveraging the enemies range.

1. Armor - a well positioned BB can tank multiple enemy BBs when leveraging armor. This is why platooning multiple BBs together doesn't work if you all go 1 direction. 3 BBs in one 1 spot means 1 angle to worry about. 2 Bbs in two different angles is harder to negate with armor, and thus is more dangerous.

2. Hard cover - You could have 5+ people in front of u, but only have to fight one if you leverage hard cover. Multiple ships with high DPM and low armor become very effective when played around and off an island. An island can protect your approach, your retreat against solo pushing targets, and protect you from getting shot at by multiple enemies. Utilizing cover is one of the easiest to dismiss, but most valuable tools in any match for any ship

3. Leveraging longer effective engagement distances - Going back to my previous example, a single RU cruiser can "beat" multiple German BBs at range due to having a longer effective engagement distance. Its very possible the RU cruiser will slowly lose health to random RNG rounds, and wont be able to kill the German BBs quickly, but if the German BBs spend their time shooting at 15km targets with minimal or no damage, they are wasting their valuable time doing nothing. Other examples would be a USN Cruisers in an open water fight against another cruiser. Due to the floaty nature of most USN cruiser guns, fighting at range is hard against mobile targets, so even with a numbers advantage, the effectiveness within a ships range differs dramatically.

Tier placement doesn't matter much if you leverage a ships advantages and disadvantages, a low tier in an "effective" position will almost always be a high tier in a "ineffective" position. A tier 6 Cruiser can beat a tier 8 BB if played correctly. The margin of error in most low vs high tier engagements is usually pretty low, so you have to stay on your toes, but there is never a situation where you become useless. In the same vein being high tier doesn't mean you can go out and fight multiple low tiers without worry.

For those that have played WoT, the tier differences in this game mean less then the ship capabilities for each class and ship line. Each tier gets new tech (radar/smoke/heal) that might change the game, but there are basically no hard changes between differences in tiers. 

Note, in my example you are a single ship fighting on the edge of multiple ship firing ranges, or you are plowing into the effective ranges of those ships and getting killed post haste.

However, I have no problem with what you said. :) The issues as I've described it is Random Battles which not usually turn into clusters, where you can't depend on coordinated actions. I do use hard cover when I can. I do bow tank, but as it is, in RBs, I typically can't depend on other members of the team to coordinate (Yes, sometimes they do), but most typically I see individual ships driving into the effective range of 3 enemy ships and getting killed quickly on a regular basis. Typically it's 1v2-1v5, and I'm like wth ARE YOU DOING? I call these suicide runs. Based on one of your comments when you are alone, good luck bow tanking 5 enemy ships. :0

This happens practically every battle (lone suicide runs) and it's not even numbers when it usually happens. It should be obvious when you are on the short end of numbers, it should be assumed you are dealing with competent enemies, and realize you are working at a big disadvantage .

And it's not just numbers of ships, it's level of ships, and which ship is considered the juiciest by the enemy. Focusing fire is a must and it's great when your team is the one doing it and in the best position to do it. :) 

If I see my group is outnumbered, typically I back up and if lucky, they come blundering into our effective range in 1s and 2s and we kill them. 

Edited by Huntn

Members
383 posts
3,846 battles
1 hour ago, Huntn said:

However, I have no problem with what you said. :) The issues as I've described it is Random Battles which not usually turn into clusters, where you can't depend on coordinated actions. I do use hard cover when I can. I do bow tank, but as it is, in RBs, I typically can't depend on other members of the team to coordinate (Yes, sometimes they do), but most typically I see individual ships driving into the effective range of 3 enemy ships and getting killed quickly on a regular basis. Typically it's 1v2-1v5, and I'm like wth ARE YOU DOING? I call these suicide runs. Based on one of your comments when you are alone, good luck bow tanking 5 enemy ships. :0

This happens practically every battle (lone suicide runs) and it's not even numbers when it usually happens. It should be obvious when you are on the short end of numbers, it should be assumed you are dealing with competent enemies, and realize you are working at a big disadvantage .

And it's not just numbers of ships, it's level of ships, and which ship is considered the juiciest by the enemy. Focusing fire is a must and it's great when your team is the one doing it and in the best position to do it. :) 

If I see my group is outnumbered, typically I back up and if lucky, they come blundering into our effective range in 1s and 2s and we kill them. 

There are always lemmings in every game, they are easy to spot early on. If your out numbered on a given flank you usually want to stall (if you believe the other side of the map can "win"). If you just back up because you don't want to die you could be removing yourself from going MLG and winning the game for you team. The idea your 100% alone only comes up late game. Very rarely you are the last one alive on your flank and the enemy is at full strength. At this point your probably going to lose the match regardless of what you do. Even with multiple lemmings on a given flank, tanking should be the last of your worries if your team is driving in there like fools leverage their deaths as much as possible. 1, 2 dead idiots is not a big deal, if 4 people are driving in, you have a choice go in, win now, or don't go in and lose later. This is simply because living later without any extra support makes the game harder to win then to just try to win even with idiots, because even idiots can get shot at and distract the enemy. Being only 1 ship you probably wont be able to do much, but its better then being 1v5 later at full health.

The devil is in the details, as the idea isn't 100% foolproof, there is always a point where you should 100% run, and always a point where you should cut your loses and just try to stay alive. There is also a point where sticking around and just fighting out and probably getting swarmed might be the best play as your too "deep".

All the best games I've ever played I am usually on the weak flank at some point fighting multiple enemies. The main idea is if you can win as the weak flank, odds are your teams strong flank will win by default. Its possible this wont hold true, but giving up your side because your outgunned/out numbered isn't always the best idea if you can beat it out. You could fall back and kite your way to victory by drawing half the enemy team to your position while the rest of your team caps the rest of the map, or you can keep peppering and distracting the enemy from the corner while they turn mid, only to come back and back-cap and get free shots behind them. If you can live thru getting focused, win thru getting out gunned, and stall when you are on the losing flank, you are doing more then the average and thus will win more games. 

Its easy to blame failed teams, and trains of idiots for a loss as its true they don't help you win, but like you said viewing your allies as part of the game outside of your control is also true. Being able to leverage them, even the worst of them, is what allows you to change the dynamic of the game and win more games. 

• Cool 1

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles
18 hours ago, sargentmki said:

There are always lemmings in every game, they are easy to spot early on. If your out numbered on a given flank you usually want to stall (if you believe the other side of the map can "win"). If you just back up because you don't want to die you could be removing yourself from going MLG and winning the game for you team. The idea your 100% alone only comes up late game. Very rarely you are the last one alive on your flank and the enemy is at full strength. At this point your probably going to lose the match regardless of what you do. Even with multiple lemmings on a given flank, tanking should be the last of your worries if your team is driving in there like fools leverage their deaths as much as possible. 1, 2 dead idiots is not a big deal, if 4 people are driving in, you have a choice go in, win now, or don't go in and lose later. This is simply because living later without any extra support makes the game harder to win then to just try to win even with idiots, because even idiots can get shot at and distract the enemy. Being only 1 ship you probably wont be able to do much, but its better then being 1v5 later at full health.

The devil is in the details, as the idea isn't 100% foolproof, there is always a point where you should 100% run, and always a point where you should cut your loses and just try to stay alive. There is also a point where sticking around and just fighting out and probably getting swarmed might be the best play as your too "deep".

All the best games I've ever played I am usually on the weak flank at some point fighting multiple enemies. The main idea is if you can win as the weak flank, odds are your teams strong flank will win by default. Its possible this wont hold true, but giving up your side because your outgunned/out numbered isn't always the best idea if you can beat it out. You could fall back and kite your way to victory by drawing half the enemy team to your position while the rest of your team caps the rest of the map, or you can keep peppering and distracting the enemy from the corner while they turn mid, only to come back and back-cap and get free shots behind them. If you can live thru getting focused, win thru getting out gunned, and stall when you are on the losing flank, you are doing more then the average and thus will win more games. 

Its easy to blame failed teams, and trains of idiots for a loss as its true they don't help you win, but like you said viewing your allies as part of the game outside of your control is also true. Being able to leverage them, even the worst of them, is what allows you to change the dynamic of the game and win more games. 

I frequently find myself or choose the weak flank due to concerns of balance and spend a lot of time stalling superior numbers.  I think the worst is when the entire team heads to a flank and then they just sit there as all of the zones are snagged by the NME. There is an inherent advantage to owning a zone, and it's hard to take it back without coordination on your team. I

Now it's different when there are just the 2 home zones. Then it becomes strictly kill rates, and I tend to urge my team not to rush out, but let them rush to us, stay organized and focus fire for the easy win.

Thanks for your thoughts! :D

[SLDS]
Members
725 posts
5,196 battles

Sadly, these rules don't work effectively in Coop.  In that battle mode, being aggressive is the way to get points.  Trying to play strategically keeps you at the bottom of the list, even if your side wins, yet being if you play too aggressively, you'll end up just as dead.

So be mindful of which battle type you're in, because the rules change.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
80 posts
718 battles
On 7/4/2019 at 9:30 AM, Huntn said:

Thanks! :D

Added to post1:

• Stay on the edge of your firing range- unless you are 1v1 or the group you are with has a numbers (number of ships) or level, or perceived advantage in the tactical fight such as the enemy’s health is low compared to yours. 
  • Use terrain whenever you can- while  keeping this in mind: The first seen is the first shot.
  • Be aware which ships have torpedoes- if they do and you don’t you are at a distinct disadvantage. 

For number 3: Not if your a battleship raining shells down at 12 km and the opposition has 5.5 km USN torpedos

Edited by Boomer625
  • Cool 1

[RN882]
Members
42 posts
2,337 battles
On 3/25/2020 at 3:15 PM, JAKeller said:

Sadly, these rules don't work effectively in Coop.  In that battle mode, being aggressive is the way to get points.  Trying to play strategically keeps you at the bottom of the list, even if your side wins, yet being if you play too aggressively, you'll end up just as dead.

So be mindful of which battle type you're in, because the rules change.

I play exclusively Random Battles, and I agree, my rules are for Random Battles and unorganized teams. I have seen rare occasions in RBs where most of the team sweeps together aggressively and overwhelming wins. And I’ve seen most of the team rush to a zone, but then stagnate, not taking the zone and subsequently losing the match.

I also understand that owning the majority of zones does not guarantee a win, but in the majority of RB matches, the team that first scoops up the zones has a distinct advantage, which the other team must overcome. 

[SLDS]
Members
725 posts
5,196 battles

I would make an adjustment to "Stay on the edge of your firing range- unless you are 1v1 or the group you are with has a numbers (number of ships) or level, or perceived advantage in the tactical fight such as the enemy’s health is low compared to yours."

One should be cognizant of the ship's EFFECTIVE range.  This is rarely the fullest range of the ship.  E.g. If you're firing at your fullest range (with horrible dispersion) and your opponent is firing more accurately (dispersion mostly, not as much player skill in determining), you will lose.  Figure out what your effective maximum and minimum ranges are.  If the battle is outside your effective range, you won't score enough damage to survive.  If you're inside your minimum effective range, ships you like looking down on will probably kill you.  If you're defending against what seems like a stronger ship, get inside its effective minimum range.  It's a basic tenet of self-defense that you should get inside the minimum weapon range of an attacker as it tends to equalize the odds.  Warships are no different.