You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Edgecase

If Savage Battles had a second season...

12 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,031 posts
17,622 battles

Here's what I'd want added:

1. Loot drops on death. Makes it worth it to fight early instead of preserving HP until the end of the match.
  2. Sectional ramming. That big buzzsaw on the front of all the ships? You take no damage if you ram with it. This would be particularly interesting on the "close combat" line of ships (Carnal-Lancet-Rumble), which honestly needs some love.
  3. Savage Clan mode. Full divs only, no duplicate clans. It's a totally different (and way more fun) game when teams are on comms. Winner gets oil and some coal.
  4. Dump the pseudo-tiering. This was a huge mistake that really screws people who didn't grind the 2-star and 3-star ships on day one. I get that it's intended to be a credit sink for people who want the best ships, but it's dumb. If you insist on keeping it, at least scale rewards by stars, because they're basically tiers -- winning with lower-star ships gives better rewards.
  5. Balance the lines in general. The torpedo line is moderately overpowered, the gunboat line is situationally strong, and the close combat line is basically trash. Move some of the concealment from the torp line to the close combat line, and a lot could change.
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles
11 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Sectional ramming. That big buzzsaw on the front of all the ships? You take no damage if you ram with it. This would be particularly interesting on the "close combat" line of ships (Carnal-Lancet-Rumble), which honestly needs some love.

To add to that, you could give the close combat line a very strong but low duration Engine Boost purely for ramming, but as a consequence after it's use your normal max speed would drop for a bit, sort of a cooldown mode.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,031 posts
17,622 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

To add to that, you could give the close combat line a very strong but low duration Engine Boost purely for ramming, but as a consequence after it's use your normal max speed would drop for a bit, sort of a cooldown mode.

I like that flavor.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,121 posts
12,740 battles
44 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The Halloween DDs had something like that.  Engine boost makes you invulnerable.  Wouldn't think the max speed penalty at the end would be hard to put in.

I like all the suggestions above.

[--K--]
Members
6,396 posts
14,068 battles

The close combat line is good at holding a final circle and that is it. 

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,025 posts
7,903 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Loot drops on death. Makes it worth it to fight early instead of preserving HP until the end of the match.

For that to properly function you'd also have to reduce the amount of drops far away from the center after the first wave of drops. More drops don't really encourage active play, not as long as you have plenty at a safe distance where you can watch the other teams thinning out and then rushing in to clean up what's left.

[R-F]
Members
1,728 posts
10,208 battles

I'd like to have the players grouped by team on the scoreboard, instead of just your team on one side and everybody else on the other.  There are three enemy ships left.  Are they all three on a team, or 2 and 1, or 1 and 1 and 1?  

But maybe not knowing that is a deliberate decision.

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
12,238 battles
3 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I'd like to have the players grouped by team on the scoreboard, instead of just your team on one side and everybody else on the other.  There are three enemy ships left.  Are they all three on a team, or 2 and 1, or 1 and 1 and 1?  

But maybe not knowing that is a deliberate decision.

Not knowing if the three remaining ships are 1 team or 3 brings uncertainty. My guess was this was intentional, but could just have been lazy coding. Same for the letters denoting div. Everyone is A div, since there is only one div per team. When you load into a game, and see six A div on the other teams, is that two teams of 3 man divisions with a team of randoms, or three teams with one random each.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,031 posts
17,622 battles
15 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

For that to properly function you'd also have to reduce the amount of drops far away from the center after the first wave of drops. More drops don't really encourage active play, not as long as you have plenty at a safe distance where you can watch the other teams thinning out and then rushing in to clean up what's left.

I actually think most of the avoidance takes place when teams come into contact in the outer zones. Loot drops would be most relevant when your team clashes at the first set of caps and sinks one ship while the others run away. In the current version, taking that fight is generally a bad trade, you put your HP on the line, and two enemy teams benefit just as much as yours from the kill. A loot drop from the dead ship offsets that early risk. Late game drops tend to matter less IMO, because ships get dev struck much more frequently once the circle is small.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,025 posts
7,903 battles
11 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I actually think most of the avoidance takes place when teams come into contact in the outer zones. Loot drops would be most relevant when your team clashes at the first set of caps and sinks one ship while the others run away. In the current version, taking that fight is generally a bad trade, you put your HP on the line, and two enemy teams benefit just as much as yours from the kill. A loot drop from the dead ship offsets that early risk. Late game drops tend to matter less IMO, because ships get dev struck much more frequently once the circle is small.

If the loot drop from dead ships was a crucial consumable (like Hydro for Octopus) that you would be unlikely to earn elsewhere you would encourage those early engagements a lot more than now.

If you want to get teams towards the center, you could also make the central drop zone special in some way. Like making it a permanent drop zone that regenerates 20s after picking something up in there.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,031 posts
17,622 battles
Just now, SireneRacker said:

If the loot drop from dead ships was a crucial consumable (like Hydro for Octopus) that you would be unlikely to earn elsewhere you would encourage those early engagements a lot more than now.

If you want to get teams towards the center, you could also make the central drop zone special in some way. Like making it a permanent drop zone that regenerates 20s after picking something up in there.

The idea isn't to make everybody collapse to the center faster; there's a deliberate progression of pace between the open-water engagements of the early game and the frantic close-quarters knife fighting of the late game. I wouldn't want to take that away, it's a pillar of the BR experience. The idea is that more of that early-game combat should be encouraged, rather than 5 minutes of running from circle to circle hoping nobody else went that same way.

Ensuring crucial drops could be one way, although I sort of prefer all consumables be worthwhile.