You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Floating_Chrysanthemums

A-150 "Super Yamato" Name Suggestions

14 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
5,397 battles

We all know of the great Japanese super battleship the A-150 design equipping a a ship with monstrous 20 in guns. For exploratory sake, what type of names do you think this class of ship would've been given to these ships had they actually been constructed? Say for some reason the Japanese pulled some voodoo Shinto magic and managed to gain the economy to build several of these ships along with the Yamato-class, what would've been the names for the greatest ships they would have ever constructed? 

The Yamato-class and Nagato-class were named after Japanese provinces and earlier ships were named after mountains such as the Kongo-Class with the exception of the Fuso, which was based on a classical name for Japan. There's also the factor that the name "Yamato" in of itself was a poetic name for Japan itself and so I'm struggling to come up with how the Japanese may have named their crowning achievements of naval engineering (from their perspective). Do you think they would've continued to name the greatest ships they could create also by provinces? Or do you think they would've given the class some special names to top it off from the Yamato-Class. Some possible ones I could think was maybe names based on the main Japanese Islands themselves such as the Honshu-class containing ships like the Honshu or Hokkaido. Another set of names I could come up with is maybe based on Japanese emperors, such as the Jimmu-class after the first Japanese emperor or the Meiji-class after Emperor Meiji (However, it is possible that these names may be too sacred to be used for battleships? I'm not sure if it would've been culturally acceptable to name their warships after gods and emperors.) Personally I think that the Japanese would've tried to give the A-150 designs a grander name rather than continuing off of provinces but I am struggling to come up with names grander than what is essentially a poetic name for Japan "Yamato". This is of course all speculation but it would interesting to consider how they would name these ships, given the conventions that we already know of, for Japanese battleships. What are your thoughts and what other possible names could they have given to these ships?

Image result for design a 150 battleship

Garzke, William H.; Dulin, Robert O. (1985). Battleships: Axis and Neutral Battleships in World War II. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. p. 103

[BIER]
Members
407 posts
6,123 battles

With only a little tongue-in-cheek, I'd have named them:

"Great Floating Target"

and

"Divine Sacrifice to Davey Jones"

Given what is known about them, and the constraints enforced, they would have been hideously useless, massively vulnerable, and ineffective as a combatant.  They had virtually no useful AA, would have been shorter in length and much deeper in draft (and thus, slow and unmaneuverable, even by Yamato standards), with a very slow ROF on a ship that had a lack of guns and mediocre fire control, and (amazingly) with sub-par protection.  Big caliber guns makes up for none of that.

• Funny 1

Members
3 posts
5,397 battles
3 minutes ago, LAnybody said:

With only a little tongue-in-cheek, I'd have named them:

"Great Floating Target"

and

"Divine Sacrifice to Davey Jones"

Given what is known about them, and the constraints enforced, they would have been hideously useless, massively vulnerable, and ineffective as a combatant.  They had virtually no useful AA, would have been shorter in length and much deeper in draft (and thus, slow and unmaneuverable, even by Yamato standards), with a very slow ROF on a ship that had a lack of guns and mediocre fire control, and (amazingly) with sub-par protection.  Big caliber guns makes up for none of that.

Lol, that much is true. However, they still would've been considered the greatest thing that they ever built from the standpoint of Japanese naval officers and doctrine. As long as Japan had the "Decisive Battle" doctrine based on massive battleship engagements, they would've seen the construction of this ship as their greatest despite being so over designed that it circles around to being useless.

[HELLS]
Members
2,506 posts
24,877 battles

I pity the guys in the shell room that have to manhandle a shell weighing over a ton-and-a-half onto the shell hoists. The limitation with heavy shells is not in the powered turret, it is in ammunition handling. The heavier the shell, the longer it takes to get into the hoist, even using wheeled shell skids on floor rails and tackles, and that governs your ROF. Handling the powder bags from the magazines with larger charges also takes more time and handling care because there are larger, heavier bags to move around, and more of them for larger guns per shot. The largest shell room I have seen personally was for the Cleveland class CLs back in the early 60s, and even a six-incher is not simple to handle. Gun crews are fit people!

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles

@Floating_Chrysanthemums

When I saw this thread title, the first idea that came to me was naming them after emperors.  That said, I don't know a thing about Japanese naming aesthetics or conventions.  I don't know if naming ships after people is a thing for them, or if it goes against their ethnic sense of naming aesthetics. 

Heck, I'm not thrilled that the USN changed its naming convention for aircraft carriers.  I greatly preferred the old carrier names, based on historical battles or long standing historical and honored ship names like Enterprise, etc.  I don't like seeing them named after presidents and worse after politicians who were never presidents.  Oh, naming them after loooooooong dead presidents like Washington and Lincoln isn't so bad.  But naming them after more recently deceased or some who aren't yet dead just rubs me the wrong way.  And it's not because I like or dislike the people whose names were chosen.  For me, it's more of a matter of principle.  It just smacks of the political maneuvering.  If the Navy instituted a rule that said that a president had to be dead for at least a century before his name was allowed to be used, that would sit better with me (not that it would happen).

Ah well.

[TROLO]
Members
581 posts
9,820 battles

"Sakura" 

She probably didn't have a name as she was only paper but I bet most weebs playing this game would love a ship called after the other representative of japan as Yamato already means something along the lines of: "land of the rising sun" if I'm not terribly mistaken, would be nice that her "big sister" was called that way but let's be honest: WG is never going to add A-150 or H-44 to the game.

Side note: Even if it's not a tech ship, could be a final boss for Halloween event, just saying :Smile_hiding: 

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
5,397 battles

@XurMP

Aye Sakura would've sounded lovely for a gargantuan battleship. It would've almost have a poetic irony too it, almost like the Maus tank does. Unfortunately, many flowers or natural phenomenon were used for Japanese destroyers such as Kamikaze meaning "divine wind" (obviously), Fubuki meaning "blizzard", Matsu meaning "Pine Tree", and Tachibana meaning "Mandarin Orange" in the Sakura-class destroyers. But who knows, Sakura sounds like a beautifully bad-[edited]name for a grand battleship.

• Cool 1

[TROLO]
Members
581 posts
9,820 battles
12 hours ago, Floating_Chrysanthemums said:

It would've almost have a poetic irony too it, almost like the Maus tank does.

The first proposed name for it was Mammut (mammoth in german) but eventually got changed to Maus. You know, your usual tiny 188 ton super heavy tank with a modified 128 mm naval gun as armament Mouse :3

Jokes aside you are right, the japanese named a lot of ships with rather poetic names instead of city names cof cof US and RN Ship cof cof or important persons to that country cof cof Germany cof cof. Probably because I'm Spanish and we don't have naval culture since XVI century don't understand it but it always shock me the fact that you name almost all your ships like your cities. I mean, It's a massive piece of metal floating in the sea where a lot of people maybe spend their last months or make others have a burning inferno (quite literally), it makes much more sense call it (whatever it is, from a gigantic Battleship to a small Submarine) something with a much deeper than just a city name. I always imagine someone of the navy going to a home and saying: "Your son recently died serving the country on New York" or if it's German: "Your son died serving the country on Leberecht Maas" and can't avoid laughing. I mean, it almost sounds like a bad intentional joke but it's probably just me.

"Your son died defending the empire on the "divine wind"" may not be the best thing to hear but IMO sounds much better than almost any other country. Japan had a lot of ships (specially DDs, and more concretely Kagero class) with names about wind.

#AddTanikazeToTheGame

[BTRDS]
Members
402 posts
12,390 battles
On 7/2/2019 at 2:13 PM, XurMP said:

Side note: Even if it's not a tech ship, could be a final boss for Halloween event, just saying :Smile_hiding: 

or a partnership with Amazon ("Man in High Castle"), it's not hard to dream high ...

Edited by xavier_556

[THREE]
Members
2,274 posts
12,210 battles

Hey

Call it the IJN "Samurai"  what a more fitting tribute to the Japanese culture, history and still somewhat of a mystery even today.

Pete

[-MOS-]
Alpha Tester
451 posts
4,052 battles

Going with Mikawa as my name suggestion,  be it for Super Yamato or perhaps a Yamato-class upgunned. Dunno which will make the game.

[REVY]
Members
1,962 posts
11,135 battles
On 7/2/2019 at 9:30 AM, Floating_Chrysanthemums said:

We all know of the great Japanese super battleship the A-150 design equipping a a ship with monstrous 20 in guns. For exploratory sake, what type of names do you think this class of ship would've been given to these ships had they actually been constructed? Say for some reason the Japanese pulled some voodoo Shinto magic and managed to gain the economy to build several of these ships along with the Yamato-class, what would've been the names for the greatest ships they would have ever constructed? 

The Yamato-class and Nagato-class were named after Japanese provinces and earlier ships were named after mountains such as the Kongo-Class with the exception of the Fuso, which was based on a classical name for Japan. 

Image result for design a 150 battleship

Garzke, William H.; Dulin, Robert O. (1985). Battleships: Axis and Neutral Battleships in World War II. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. p. 103

All Japanese BBs were named after provinces, or after alternative names for Japan.
Cruisers over a certain weight were named after mountains.
Cruisers under that weight were named after rivers.
CVs were named after animals, actual or mythical.
Destroyers were named after the winds, tides, seasons, weather, etc.
None of their warships were named after people, so I seriously doubt they would start with Emperors. Remember, to the Japanese, the Emperor was a divine being. When a ship was sinking, they saved the portrait of the Emperor. Now, say a ship made it into old age and was to be replaced, could you actually see the Japanese scrapping or scuttling a ship named after their Divine leader?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ship-naming_conventions

46 minutes ago, AL_Yuudachi said:

Going with Mikawa as my name suggestion,  be it for Super Yamato or perhaps a Yamato-class upgunned. Dunno which will make the game.

I like Mikawa, but then I am not Japanese. Yamato and even Musashi were chosen because they were 'historic' provinces and had a deep meaning to the Japanese.

Looking over a list of Provinces, both 'historic' and current, I found one I had to chuckle about: How about the IJN Bingo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingo_Province