You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
A_Burning_Sensation

It's not that everyone is stupid

35 comments in this topic

Members
231 posts
79 battles

You hear this virtually every match.  Window lickers, mouth breathers, etc. etc.

50% of the world's population is above average intelligence and 50% of the world's population is below average.  And even of the 50% below average, most are not so far below average to use intelligence as a means to justify their behavior/decisions.  There are speed bumps and wicker swing sets with more common sense than many of the players in the game, no doubt.

But the reality is that decisions are often made not out of stupidity but because of a player's perception of fun that they refuse to give up.  They cannot enjoy the game by leveraging patience, self-discipline, heightened and proactive situational awareness, forecasting, and all the many other intangible attributes that make great players great.  That to them is work, it's stress and anything but fun.  Same with looking at the minimap or even helpful warnings coming from their team members in the chat window.

They have a different value system and set of priorities that are often in direct conflict with players who care about self improvement or completing missions, tasks, leveling up ships, etc. at a more efficient rate.

The greatest way to reduce toxicity in this game is to disable chat once a player sinks.  The overwhelming majority of conflict in this game starts with suiciders who put more effort into looking for and assigning blame after they sink than any effort they apply toward winning when they are still above water.

Another great way to reduce the rage is by putting in some very basic filters.  Like if a player fails to do at least 50% of their ship's hitpoints in damage in 4 out of 5 random battles (which is insanely low and should only be triggered by botters, griefers, or otherwise folks undeniably not at all interested in or capable of helping their team), then they should be relegated to co-op for 20 battles, or at the very least have T8-10 disabled for 20 battles.  Also game modes more suitable for players not interested in team play like last-man standing / free-for-all type modes like Savage Battles but with div capability disabled would be ideal.

• Cool 7
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 3
  • Angry 2

[DAS]
Members
905 posts
7,070 battles
4 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

50% of the world's population is above average intelligence and 50% of the world's population is below average.

So, you are saying that nobody is average?

Anyways, I have nothing constructive to say at this moment in time, so I will see myself out :)

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles
17 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

50% of the world's population is above average intelligence and 50% of the world's population is below average.  And even of the 50% below average, most are not so far below average to use intelligence as a means to justify their behavior/decisions.  There are speed bumps and wicker swing sets with more common sense than many of the players in the game, no doubt.

That's actually not true at all. IQ works on a bell curve... Interestingly enough Women's scores have a large curve to the center. So Women have on average an average IQ. Where as Men's scores tend to be more towards the extremes of a high IQ or a low IQ. Pretty good indicator of why Men dominate the top positions of society and make up majority of the lowest.(Criminals, Homeless, poor etc...)

Edited by Stand_Alone97
  • Cool 3
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Members
231 posts
79 battles
4 minutes ago, epojokke said:

So, you are saying that nobody is average?

Anyways, I have nothing constructive to say at this moment in time, so I will see myself out :)

Well, mathematically, average is a virtual impossibility.  50.0000000000000000000001% is still above average.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,526 posts
18,770 battles
10 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

You hear this virtually every match.  Window lickers, mouth breathers, etc. etc.

But the reality is that decisions are often made not out of stupidity but because of a player's perception of fun that they refuse to give up.  They cannot enjoy the game by leveraging patience, self-discipline, heightened and proactive situational awareness, forecasting, and all the many other intangible attributes that make great players great.  That to them is work, it's stress and anything but fun.  Same with looking at the minimap or even helpful warnings coming from their team members in the chat window.

They have a different value system and set of priorities that are often in direct conflict with players who care about self improvement or completing missions, tasks, leveling up ships, etc. at a more efficient rate.

The greatest way to reduce toxicity in this game is to disable chat once a player sinks.  The overwhelming majority of conflict in this game starts with suiciders who put more effort into looking for and assigning blame after they sink than any effort they apply toward winning when they are still above water.

Another great way to reduce the rage is by putting in some very basic filters.  Like if a player fails to do at least 50% of their ship's hitpoints in damage in 4 out of 5 random battles (which is insanely low and should only be triggered by botters, griefers, or otherwise folks undeniably not at all interested in or capable of helping their team), then they should be relegated to co-op for 20 battles, or at the very least have T8-10 disabled for 20 battles.  Also game modes more suitable for players not interested in team play like last-man standing / free-for-all type modes like Savage Battles but with div capability disabled would be ideal.

Oh...

My...

God....

I play for fun, I try to improve....

BUT THIS....

Is the best I have ever read.

I AGREE 100% .

It's amazing when thoughtful posting can avoid insulting, be positive and offer solutions.

THANK YOU FOR ONE OF THE BEST POSTS I HAVE EVER READ.

• Funny 1

[TNG]
Members
456 posts
7,235 battles

Disabling chat after ship loss is a good idea.  I've seen some constructive things happen ("hey man, nice shot"), but... very few constructive things.

• Angry 1

[GWG]
Members
6,690 posts

What if I do that bad in Co-Op??   Should I be forced back into Random ??? 

Please don't torture me like that.  Those matches are too RNG wonky and wipe-outs are too frequent.  Add to that it's too toxic in chat.

• Funny 1

[DURPX]
Members
70 posts
4,239 battles
51 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Disabling chat after ship loss is a good idea.  I've seen some constructive things happen ("hey man, nice shot"), but... very few constructive things.

Has no one noticed that this chat feature is currently in Savage battles?

• Cool 1

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
1 hour ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

Like if a player fails to do at least 50% of their ship's hitpoints in damage in 4 out of 5 random battles

I think that the numbers could probably do with some work but I think that would be a better statistic than W/R.

Also game modes more suitable for players not interested in team play like last-man standing / free-for-all type modes like Savage Battles but with div capability disabled would be ideal.

A FFA game style may be interesting for some. Doubt I'd play it though.

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
26 minutes ago, Raytesh said:

Has no one noticed that this chat feature is currently in Savage battles?

It needs to be else people could make suggestions and warnings to those still battling.

Of course, if it's all clan then they'll be on their Discourse(sp?)/Teamspeak server anyway.

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
1 hour ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

That's actually not true at all. IQ works on a bell curve... Interestingly enough Women's scores have a large curve to the center. So Women have on average an average IQ. Where as Men's scores tend to be more towards the extremes of a high IQ or a low IQ. Pretty good indicator of why Men dominate the top positions of society and make up majority of the lowest.(Criminals, Homeless, poor etc...)

I can see which half you're in!  :cap_like:

@A_Burning_Sensation

As for the OP and resticting players from certain battles or game modes, I disagree.  For one, there is no reloable way to measure comtribution to the battle.  I would rather have someone who tries and perhaps fails over someone solely interested in damage farming. Secondly, both teams get taters and I enjoy finding the red fleet taters.

Get rid of the taters, the battles get more competitive, and everyone gets closer and closer to a 50% winrate.

[AA-DS]
Members
975 posts

Mr crying hipster is back....

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
8,988 posts
17,131 battles

I have to disagree with the OP..

1. Make the game balance first
  2. Dont make the ships OP/over capable
  3. Small ships who fail to reach %50 because of plane cancer, will bee raging when your  restrictions are in place.
  4. communication is part of the MMO experience... If you dont like the communication tools then maybe just maybe, MMO games are not for you.

The OP's post as not well thought out clearly...

BTW

OP just use Aslain's mod and YOU dont use chat. Leave the rest who do want the communication tools alone.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles

I do think it's funny that people see this game as an IQ test. Sure, I'm a moron and my WR reflects it, but I doubt there is even correlation to this. I'm happy to be shown otherwise.

• Boring 1

[DAS]
Members
905 posts
7,070 battles
2 hours ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

Well, mathematically, average is a virtual impossibility.  50.0000000000000000000001% is still above average.

Not an expert on this kind of thing, but here goes:

1. I think you are right under some circumstances.

2. IQ is normally measured with whole numbers on a Bell curve as mentioned by others and 100, I think, tends to right there in the middle.

So if you take a test and score 100 you are as average as you can be, I would say (not above, not below).

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles

The OP went the long way around to say "people who I do not believe play according to my wishes should be forced into coops."

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

Members
231 posts
79 battles
2 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

I do think it's funny that people see this game as an IQ test. Sure, I'm a moron and my WR reflects it, but I doubt there is even correlation to this. I'm happy to be shown otherwise.

Play style and desire to apply effort (both of which can have relevancy to each other) impacts performance as well.  But overall, if you have a greater capacity to adapt, learn from mistakes, understand cause and effect, forecast, strategize and execute on sound understanding of mechanics, you are going to produce much greater results than those who have great trouble in all of those areas.  

Members
231 posts
79 battles
6 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The OP went the long way around to say "people who I do not believe play according to my wishes should be forced into coops."

Even your very below average performance history would not be impacted so your taking my words out of context to suit your own agenda shines through.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
440 posts
8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Good call.

[O-PN]
Members
2,571 posts
5,611 battles
4 hours ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

Want to know a disturbing fact?  1/6th of people that have applied for the US armed services are sub 80 IQ -- A level that's deemed to have no value to the services, at all.  Cannot learn a skill....

[DPG]
Members
1,766 posts
7,945 battles
2 hours ago, Simzee said:

Mr crying hipster is back....

Are you sure?  He didn't put his name in the signature area.  It could just be a random dude.

I prefer the move on and completely forget the names of the players in the last battle approach to this game.  Not to sound mean or anything, but I don't really care about any of you, or your stats and abilities.  

Edited by Amenhir

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
2 hours ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

Play style and desire to apply effort (both of which can have relevancy to each other) impacts performance as well.  But overall, if you have a greater capacity to adapt, learn from mistakes, understand cause and effect, forecast, strategize and execute on sound understanding of mechanics, you are going to produce much greater results than those who have great trouble in all of those areas.  

That sounds nice. Can you support that claim? 

• Boring 1

Members
231 posts
79 battles
9 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

That sounds nice. Can you support that claim? 

What?  That if you can process information and apply it more effectively than others it will result in better performance?

Either you're the square root of 2 or you're trolling.