You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wows_Nightly_News

The date the rework needs to be done by.

53 comments in this topic

[RED2]
Members
1,690 posts
8,491 battles

November 8 2019.

That's when the new Midway movie is coming out. Will it be good? Will it be bad? Who's to say, but it will generate some naval interest either way. And that will be an excellent time for War Gaming's marketing team to lure in the new players it needs.

Now some of you may be aware that the battle of Midway was a carrier battle. It's an obscure one, I know. Anyway, there is a very good chance most of the action will take place aboard carriers and carrier launched aircraft. 

image.png.34b5c2c1d89a933af1c5bb3a7371439f.png

This poster contains an important hidden clue that leads me in that direction.

It's a safe bet that the majority of this fresh meat will be wanting to hop into a carrier as fast as possible and it's safe to say many of them will be victims of carrier strikes getting there. This is why the rework should be done at that point. CVs need to be at least relatively balanced and as easy to pick up by that time or the game will lose a lot of potential new players. I'm not going tot comment on the direction the game needs to go to get there, but I am saying that this is the date to get it done by. The newbies aren't going to accept a "we're working on it" excuse.

Saddly I could not grab my sister to translate this into Russian for me, so I'm hoping this will gain enough buzz for the mods to forward similar sentiments through the usual means.

Anyway I told people I wouldn't use the WNN comic as a vehicle to address issues like this, so this post is a product of that. And happy Canada day!

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,418 posts
14,719 battles

Would be nice. Couldn't hurt for them to do a big cross-promotion like they did with Dunkirk either.

• Cool 1

Members
88 posts
9,229 battles

The turning point of the Pacific war was a very famous CV battle, nothing obscure about it

• Cool 1

[RED2]
Members
1,690 posts
8,491 battles
6 minutes ago, zeke3 said:

The turning point of the Pacific war was a very famous CV battle, nothing obscure about it

Sarcasm can be hard to convey in text form.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,216 posts
8,357 battles
13 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Now some of you may be aware that the battle of Midway was a carrier battle. It's an obscure one, I know. Anyway, there is a very good chance most of the action will take place aboard carriers and carrier launched aircraft. 

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Members
998 posts
18,825 battles

Hi all.... rabid (in-game) anti-CV'er here, although most likely two of my great uncles are in this pic of (CV-16) Lexington's aft (one of the two (in dark shirts) standing on the deck tending the arrester wires and one of the two helmets manning the back gun just forward of the landing signal officer):

LexPhilSea.thumb.jpg.ef749eec70cdf6db1f47a3f898325cb8.jpg

...anyway.... I ran into this most excellent analysis of the Midway battle. This guy speaks my language as he analyzes the battle in minutes, showing that, well, timing is everything:

Edited by theLaalaa
  • Cool 1

[RED2]
Members
1,690 posts
8,491 battles
11 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Hi all.... rabid (in-game) anti-CV'er here, although most likely two of my great uncles are in this pic of (CV-16) Lexington's aft (one of the two (in dark shirts) standing on the deck tending the arrester wires and one of the two helmets manning the back gun just forward of the landing signal officer):

LexPhilSea.thumb.jpg.ef749eec70cdf6db1f47a3f898325cb8.jpg

...anyway.... I ran into this most excellent analysis of the Midway battle. This guy speaks my language as he analyzes the battle in minutes, showing that, well, timing is everything:

You know I was planning to drop by Lexington today for my birthday, but figured that with the fourth coming up the crowds would be insane. Anyway interesting video.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,411 posts
11,332 battles
27 minutes ago, zeke3 said:

It would be very scary to ask random people on the street if they had heard of the Battle of Midway, the teaching of history in our country was horrid when I was in school, just turned 64,  and it has gotten worse since then. From what I have seen of the trailer and the teasers I have very little hope for this movie.

Members
998 posts
18,825 battles
1 minute ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

You know I was planning to drop by Lexington today for my birthday, but figured that with the fourth coming up the crowds would be insane. Anyway interesting video.

I've not been on Lex since its move to Corpus. Last time I was on it was while it was still operational out of Pensicola..... a long, long time ago when I was still a pup.

Uncle Preston (on the back gun) died a few years ago. Uncle Floyd (on the wires) is still with us, but for not much longer.

That analysis vid is just clinically beautiful!

[R-F]
Members
1,382 posts
8,358 battles

Is this movie going to be good (Tora Tora Tora with 50 years to make better special effects) or [edited] (Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor II, Midway Bugaboo)?

[RED2]
Members
1,690 posts
8,491 battles
1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

Uncle Preston (on the back gun) died a few years ago. Uncle Floyd (on the wires) is still with us, but for not much longer.

I'm sorry to hear that.

2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I've not been on Lex since its move to Corpus. Last time I was on it was while it was still operational out of Pensicola..... a long, long time ago when I was still a pup.

It's a neat museum. They've restored some of the Anti-Air/ dual purpose armament unlike the other Essexes.

3 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

That analysis vid is just clinically beautiful!

Looks good, I'll have to give it a more thorough watch.

[_-_]
Members
2,111 posts
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

From what I have seen of the trailer and the teasers I have very little hope for this movie.

The trailer doesn't look too awful, if you're a CGI fan. Sure, it's going to be over-dramatized with lots of ficticious "human pathos", but what the, heck, it's Hollywood

In this day and age, I'm astonished it isn't some woke deconstructed crappola making the Japanese Empire the heroes.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,215 posts
11,646 battles

Pretty sure WG will be done with the final tweaks well before November. So we should be good.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,019 posts
11,063 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It would be very scary to ask random people on the street if they had heard of the Battle of Midway, the teaching of history in our country was horrid when I was in school, just turned 64,  and it has gotten worse since then. From what I have seen of the trailer and the teasers I have very little hope for this movie.

Pretty much, when I was in high school (been a long while as well, graduated in 92) , I think WWI, WWII, and Vietnam each got a week each. Korea got one 50 minute class. Vietnam only got a week because our teacher at the time was a Vietnam Vet.

If you want something about WWII in Europe, probably find something on the history channel about Secret Nazi stuff, maybe a little on the war itself.

In the Pacific, good luck, Tora, Tora, Tora is about it.

Most people probably think of Midway as an old computer game company. 

[_-_]
Members
2,111 posts
6 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Honors to both. They aren't called the Greatest Generation for nothing. :Smile_honoring:

Members
998 posts
18,825 battles
7 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Honors to both. They aren't called the Greatest Generation for nothing. :Smile_honoring:

There's a story that begins with Uncle Floyd on shore duty in Hawaii as Uncle Preston is stationed on Lex. Floyd visits Preston and likes the carrier digs and being with family, so he stowes away and goes to the Chaplain onboard Lex once they're 3 days out. Since they were headed into a combat zone, the captain waved AWOL charges and assigned Floyd to Lex , putting him on the wires station. He lost a portion of his leg on that duty and has one shoe with a 6 inch sole to make up the height. My extended family were rascals, to be sure.

Edited by theLaalaa

[_-_]
Members
2,111 posts
1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

There's a story that begins with Uncle Floyd on shore duty in Hawaii as Uncle Preston is stationed on Lex. Floyd visits Preston and likes the carrier digs and being with family, so he stowes away and goes to the Chaplain onboard Lex once they're 3 days out. Since they were headed into a combat zone, the captain reassigns Floyd to Lex and gives him the lines station. He lost a portion of his leg on that duty and has one shoe with a 6 inch sole to make up the height. My extended family were rascals, to be sure.

Sorry about Uncle Floyd's injury. AB's (Aviation Boatswain's Mates) still suffer similar injuries. Arresting gear cables ain't no joke.

Any kind of line-handling is dangerous, really. The teamwork involved in underway replenishment, or even mooring operations, is a sight to see.

[RED2]
Members
1,690 posts
8,491 battles
19 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Is this movie going to be good (Tora Tora Tora with 50 years to make better special effects) or [edited] (Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor II, Midway Bugaboo)?

The budget seems to be there but who knows about writing quality. Interestingly enough, an article I read about this mentioned Bay Harbor and its negative effects on Hollywood. Basically whenever a movie is bad, Hollywood blames the genre because there are no bad writers or directors. One bad pirate flick killed the genre (and female leads) for decades while Bay Harbor essentially killed the WWII naval genre. The fact that this movie is even being made is surprising. Let's hope it does well.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
758 posts
5,366 battles
3 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

The budget seems to be there but who knows about writing quality. Interestingly enough, an article I read about this mentioned Bay Harbor and its negative effects on Hollywood. Basically whenever a movie is bad, Hollywood blames the genre because there are no bad writers or directors. One bad pirate flick killed the genre (and female leads) for decades while Bay Harbor essentially killed the WWII naval genre. The fact that this movie is even being made is surprising. Let's hope it does well.

We can always hope. One thing I always found funny about Tora,Tora,Tora! was how the Japanese production crew made the American production crew look like amateurs when it came to the accuracy of the ship models. Dang it, when your trying to tell me a ship is supposed to be the Nevada or the West Virginia, it darn well better have the correct main battery layout, because I will notice. Meanwhile that magnificent full scale mock-up of the Nagato probably could have fooled her own crew for a short period. Somehow I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if the ship named for the battle of Midway somehow made it into the picture with how well most Hollwood movies get their historical facts, but as I said, we can hope they do it right.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,167 posts
20,619 battles
50 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They don't teach real life history in school at any level. It is all feelgood propaganda. I was lucky, because 8 of my 10 teachers in high school were combat veterans from all three services, my Dad and two of his younger brothers were combat veterans, and many of the perople I worked with after my time in the service were combat veterans. My grandfather was a twice wounded WW I combat veteran. The gave it to us unvarnished.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
900 posts
3,886 battles
45 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

It MUST BE BETTER than Michael Bay Pearl Harbor but I'm a bit worried about it actually being good.  From the trailer we are are getting Pearl, Doolittle Raid, and Midway + all the intel buildup in one movie.  Seems like a lot for a single movie.  Casting is also questionable.  A bunch or british guys join the US Navy and save America!

Members
539 posts

I don't think the CV rework will ever be totally over.

Hope the movie is good. And not the disaster the Pearl Harbor movie, with Ben Aflack, was.

There was a decent Midway movie with Henry Ford and Robert Mitchum in it, that may have been Tora Tora Tora.

History? Most younger people don't even know geography. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,411 posts
11,332 battles
6 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

From the trailer we are are getting Pearl, Doolittle Raid, and Midway + all the intel buildup in one movie.  Seems like a lot for a single movie.  Casting is also questionable.  A bunch or british guys join the US Navy and save America!

That combination of events is what makes me have little hope for this movie. This isn't a Midway movie, it is a first seven months of the war movie.

1 minute ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I don't think the CV rework will ever be totally over.

Hope the movie is good. And not the disaster the Pearl Harbor movie, with Ben Aflack, was.

There was a decent Midway movie with Henry Ford and Robert Mitchum in it, that may have been Tora Tora Tora.

History? Most younger people don't even know geography. 

Tora, Tora, Tora is from 1970 and was the attack on Pearl Harbor. Midway was 1976 and while Pearl Harbor is touched on the movie focuses on the intelligence buildup to Midway and the battle itself.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,710 posts
11,741 battles

'2016 year of the carrier' meets 'November 2019, a hard deadline for carrier changes'.

Good luck...