Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Widar_Thule

Save the Destroyer: Unique "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable Proposal

36 comments in this topic

Members
89 posts

Destroyers versus Carrier Aircraft need help. This proposal in aimed to do exactly that: save the Destroyer from Carriers, but within REASON.

Goal of the proposed change:

Give all Destroyers a dedicated defensive "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable that remains active for X minutes and respawns destroyed "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" during that time frame. This will enable Destroyers to capture a zone at game start and fully protect themselves from enemy Aircraft Carriers for a limited amount of time.

Reason for the proposed change:

Destroyers are the ships that normally capture zones and they need special protection to at least enable them to capture ONE zone, especially when their fleet does not protect them from enemy Aircraft. If the Destroyers of a fleet fail to capture a zone at the start of the match due to enemy Aircraft, then that usually also decides the outcome of the match. That is very bad for game play. The proposed Consumable should allow every Destroyer to capture at least one zone even when facing an enemy Aircraft Carrier.

This is to be a new and a unique "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable, for Destroyers ONLY, that works very different from the "Fighter Squadron" Consumable that currently exists in the game.

The Characteristics of the proposed "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable change:

• It is a consumable that is only available to all Destroyers at all Tiers that face a Carrier and the Consumable is only available to a Destroyer when they are in a match with enemy Carriers (if not then it is hidden).

• It can only be used once per match for X amount of minutes.

• The "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable consists of two parts: one on-map, one off-map.

• The on-map part of the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable consists of a single Fighter Patrol Squadron, consisting of X Fighter Aircraft, that flies at low altitude above the Destroyer in a circle pattern (like the existing "Fighter Squadron" Consumable does). The on-map part "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" can be spotted, damaged and destroyed by enemy Aircraft and enemy AA/Flak because they fly at low altitude.

• The off-map (very high altitude) part of the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" consists of an unlimited number of Fighter Patrol Squadrons that will replace the on-map (low altitude) Fighter Patrol Squadron if it is destroyed. This replacing takes place X seconds after the on-map Fighter Patrol Squadron is destroyed.

• The off-map (high altitude) part of the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable consists of an unlimited number of Fighter Patrol Squadrons that fly at very high altitude above a Destroyer and thus above the range of enemy Anti-Aircraft Artillery/Flak/Fighters. They are not visually represented on the map and mini map, they cannot spot and they cannot be attacked nor can they attack.

• The "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable has a radius that is 25% LARGER that than of the current best Fighter Squadron in the game.

• When enemy Aircraft enter the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" circle, the on-map part of the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" will move in to attack them, like the current "Fighter Squadron" Consumable does.

• If the on-map Fighter Patrol Squadron of the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable is destroyed it will be replaced by a full Hit Point Fighter Patrol Squadron that travels down from very high altitude to low altitude within X seconds after the last on-map Fighter Patrol aircraft was destroyed.

• The on-map and off-map part of the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable cannot spot. That simulates that there is no direct communication between the Destroyer and the Fighter Patrol Squadrons, like usually was the case in real life in WW2. The on-map part of the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable can spot only for itself, but cannot share data on what it spots with the Destroyer and the fleet.

It is advisable to combine this "Fighter Patrol Squadron Consumable proposal" with the "AA/Flak and Carrier Aircraft proposal for Tier 8-10" that is described in another topic.

Edited by Widar_Thule
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 6

[LOIN]
Supertester
794 posts

Uhm.. Destroyers didn't have room for a plane in the first place. Where would the plane launch from? Give Destroyers defensive AA, have them travel with a cruiser and have them keep the smoke. Also Destroyers need to learn to turn off AA until spotted by planes.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
3,981 posts
16,947 battles

I been suggesting for a couple of months now the return of the dedicated AA Picket DD and the Flak ship CL concept that is supported by an AA Radar system.....  The IJN Akizuki and her cousins were "designed to be AA Picket ships" with radar.  A lot of Fletcher class DD's on the US side were the same.   The German's had Flak ship guarding the Tirpitz and other harbor targets....  They are a historical "reality" and yet, our host ignores the historical reality to elongate a sales gimmick run amok.  And soon, the introduction of another sales gimmick and dissimilar weapons system: the submarine....

Carriers and subs need a hard counter because they are a dissimilar weapons systems....  And, the simple "hard counters" are "other aircraft and ASW"  Since our host refuses to allow carriers to fight carrier first (!) and no one is sure what in the heck they are going to do with subs, the next step is to allow players of surface combatants to choose if they want to hunt Airplanes or Submarines !!!!  Why the heck not???  It's historic, it's logical and it allows for "hard counters" for the extreme eventualities when dissimilar weapons meet very close to each other on small maps.....

[A-CUP]
Members
1,023 posts
8,232 battles

1. DDs never carried onboard fighters.. Not enough space and tonnage can not support it

2. With the current status of AA, this consumeable is not needed

Overall, your proposal, no offence, has little to no value.. For one, you said DDs of all Tier carry consumeable.. T4 CVs do not have a fighter consumeable option. Further more Having unlimited planes is also impossible since the standard Fighter consumeable for surface ships, contains max of 3 fighters per consumeable.. So if you want to implement, the DDs should carry 1 if not 0...and only 1 time consumeable. These are for balancing measure.. And at an expense of another consumeable (smoke/fighter)...

In the end, and IMO, is that you are just mad because CVs snipe you. 

My advice for you is. Turn your AA off and WASD.. 

Last is my comment: This idea is just pointless.

• Confused 1

Members
89 posts
39 minutes ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Uhm.. Destroyers didn't have room for a plane in the first place. Where would the plane launch from? Give Destroyers defensive AA, have them travel with a cruiser and have them keep the smoke. Also Destroyers need to learn to turn off AA until spotted by planes.

Think of it not as a Catapult Fighter, that is not what I wrote. "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are either land or carrier based Fighter Squadrons that fly in a patrol pattern over a certain area. In this case a Destroyer could ask for their protective cover ONCE. This consumable would basically keep the Destroyer safe from enemy air attack for X amount of time. It would be a new type of consumable in addition to existing consumables on the Destroyer.

10 minutes ago, Nagato_Kai__Ni said:

1. DDs never carried onboard fighters.. Not enough space and tonnage can not support it

2. With the current status of AA, this consumeable is not needed

Overall, your proposal, no offence, has little to no value.. For one, you said DDs of all Tier carry consumeable.. T4 CVs do not have a fighter consumeable option. Further more Having unlimited planes is also impossible since the standard Fighter consumeable for surface ships, contains max of 3 fighters per consumeable.. So if you want to implement, the DDs should carry 1 if not 0...and only 1 time consumeable. These are for balancing measure.. And at an expense of another consumeable (smoke/fighter)...

In the end, and IMO, is that you are just mad because CVs snipe you. 

My advice for you is. Turn your AA off and WASD.. 

Last is my comment: This idea is just pointless.

Like I said above think of it not as a Catapult Fighter. "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are either land or carrier based Fighter Squadrons that fly in a patrol pattern over a certain area. In this case a Destroyer could ask for their protective cover ONCE. The consumable would only be available when facing a Carrier and in addition to any already present Consumables on that Destroyer.

To put things into perspective: I mostly play Aircraft Carriers and hunt Destroyers. This Consumable is proposed to give them a decent fighting chance, because I think they need it for game play purposes.

Members
1,123 posts
2,117 battles

I've been suggesting something similar for months now. I hope your version gets a better response than mine.

Members
1,872 posts

DD's can barely even be hit by CV's. Other than being spotted and killed by enemy fire... I found that CV's are actually easy to counter.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
2 hours ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Uhm.. Destroyers didn't have room for a plane in the first place.

And battleships didn't do anything useful. Doesn't seem to stop those 6v6 BB games. We are tweaking realism for the sake of fun.

• Boring 1

[GOSF]
[GOSF]
Members
194 posts
1,136 battles
1 hour ago, Widar_Thule said:

Think of it not as a Catapult Fighter, that is not what I wrote. "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are either land or carrier based Fighter Squadrons that fly in a patrol pattern over a certain area. In this case a Destroyer could ask for their protective cover ONCE. This consumable would basically keep the Destroyer safe from enemy air attack for X amount of time. It would be a new type of consumable in addition to existing consumables on the Destroyer.

Like I said above think of it not as a Catapult Fighter. "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are either land or carrier based Fighter Squadrons that fly in a patrol pattern over a certain area. In this case a Destroyer could ask for their protective cover ONCE. The consumable would only be available when facing a Carrier and in addition to any already present Consumables on that Destroyer.

To put things into perspective: I mostly play Aircraft Carriers and hunt Destroyers. This Consumable is proposed to give them a decent fighting chance, because I think they need it for game play purposes.

Here's a better idea. Give CVs THEMSELVES a controllable Fighter element for Naval Fighters/Rocket Attackers. After all, last I checked these planes were fighters first and 5 inch peashooter slingers 5th.

Granted, this has to be put into moderation, because it could bring us back to pre-080 nonsense. BUT, giving DESTROYERS EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO ELEMENTS OF YOUR TEAM'S CARRIER makes no sense!

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
33 minutes ago, SerynFate said:

Here's a better idea. Give CVs THEMSELVES a controllable Fighter element for Naval Fighters/Rocket Attackers. After all, last I checked these planes were fighters first and 5 inch peashooter slingers 5th.

Granted, this has to be put into moderation, because it could bring us back to pre-080 nonsense. BUT, giving DESTROYERS EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO ELEMENTS OF YOUR TEAM'S CARRIER makes no sense!

Having a class that completely negates another also doesn't make sense, yet here we are. CVs also had fighters and WeeGee decided that was too complex. It also doesn't help DDs because even if you found a CV player that cared enough, having dog fights over your DD still keeps you lit and exposed, alongside being rocket-d anyways because the fighters will engage each other first. It was the same problem during the RTS days.  The only counter was strafing and that was unbalanced as well. I'm sensing a theme here lol

Members
89 posts
2 hours ago, ruar said:

I've been suggesting something similar for months now. I hope your version gets a better response than mine.

I hope so too. I think it would be really good for game-play. In a Carrier I generally hunt down Destroyers at match start, most of them turn back and do not even capture zones anymore if you press them hard and then the whole enemy fleet hangs back and that basically decides the match in the first minutes. This "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable would prevent that from happening.

1 hour ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

This is almost as bad an idea as submarines.

Why?

43 minutes ago, SerynFate said:

The Rocket Bombers are basically Fighter Bombers, armed with Rockets instead of Bombs.

I liked Fighters in the RTS Carriers, I liked them a lot and was quite good using them. Most of the time I simply shut the other RTS Carrier out of the match with my Fighters and although I had fun doing that, a lot of fun doing that, it was bad for game-play. I have played matches where the enemy Carrier commander did not even want to take off with his Aircraft anymore because of the utter massacre of his Aircraft by my Fighters. It was fun, but not good for game-play.

If Carriers get direct Fighter control again then the skilled Carrier commanders will shut the less skilled Carrier commanders out of the match like with the RTS Carriers. And then the whole enemy fleet will suffer for it. So no, much as I love shooting down enemy Aircraft, it would be bad for game-play.

Finally like I said earlier, the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are not Catapult Fighters. "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are either land or carrier based Fighter Squadrons that fly in a patrol pattern over a certain area. If you prefer, think of them as land based Fighters. In this case a Destroyer could ask for their protective cover ONCE and they would be dedicated Fighter cover for ONE SHIP for X amount of time.

Edited by Widar_Thule

[GOSF]
[GOSF]
Members
194 posts
1,136 battles
2 hours ago, Widar_Thule said:

I hope so too. I think it would be really good for game-play. In a Carrier I generally hunt down Destroyers at match start, most of them turn back and do not even capture zones anymore if you press them hard and then the whole enemy fleet hangs back and that basically decides the match in the first minutes. This "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable would prevent that from happening.

Why?

The Rocket Bombers are basically Fighter Bombers, armed with Rockets instead of Bombs.

I liked Fighters in the RTS Carriers, I liked them a lot and was quite good using them. Most of the time I simply shut the other RTS Carrier out of the match with my Fighters and although I had fun doing that, a lot of fun doing that, it was bad for game-play. I have played matches where the enemy Carrier commander did not even want to take off with his Aircraft anymore because of the utter massacre of his Aircraft by my Fighters. It was fun, but not good for game-play.

If Carriers get direct Fighter control again then the skilled Carrier commanders will shut the less skilled Carrier commanders out of the match like with the RTS Carriers. And then the whole enemy fleet will suffer for it. So no, much as I love shooting down enemy Aircraft, it would be bad for game-play.

Finally like I said earlier, the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are not Catapult Fighters. "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" are either land or carrier based Fighter Squadrons that fly in a patrol pattern over a certain area. If you prefer, think of them as land based Fighters. In this case a Destroyer could ask for their protective cover ONCE and they would be dedicated Fighter cover for ONE SHIP for X amount of time.

Then we have to consider where the planes come from? Maybe, I dunno, capturable airfields? Or perhaps we could one up it, send a request for the CV to burn a fighter charge from its active squadron type, and have the Squadron automatically drop on top of the DD, and the CV reaps all damage and kills said fighters score?

I played Pre-rework CVs as well, I know how player controlled CVs ruined it, I made it my life's goal to secure air supremacy THEN commit to full on farming, like I said, *Moderation*, possibly only accessible within the first two minutes, bam, now the CVs checkmate each other and the caps are in a safe position for Destroyers till this control timer is up. Possibly they do no damage, but max out the dispersion for the Squadron OR they cannot relay intel.

Not necessarily fair for a predator to have its mechanic given for free to its prey, when was the last time you saw a Battleship with a smokescreen?

Edited by SerynFate
Emphasis.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
6 hours ago, Starfleet1701 said:

image.png.f29cd7c45f7aff8515d7924dd286fef6.png

False. Though this could only be a premium rather than the norm.

[SIM]
Members
4,732 posts
7,770 battles

Nope, a well played destroyer can already mitigate CV threats well enough as it is. You don’t need a magic immunity consumable, you need to learn vision control, threat assessment, timing, communication with your teammates, and WASD hacks. Oh hey look, that’s mostly what battleships have to use when dealing with destroyers. You know, the same battleships that destroyer players roast endlessly for complaining about destroyers? :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[GOSF]
[GOSF]
Members
194 posts
1,136 battles
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

Nope, a well played destroyer can already mitigate CV threats well enough as it is. You don’t need a magic immunity consumable, you need to learn vision control, threat assessment, timing, communication with your teammates, and WASD hacks. Oh hey look, that’s mostly what battleships have to use when dealing with destroyers. You know, the same battleships that destroyer players roast endlessly for complaining about destroyers? :Smile_smile:

I like cycles, I didn't notice this one.

Time to bust out the Clevedad Radar

Members
89 posts
18 minutes ago, SerynFate said:

Then we have to consider where the planes come from? Maybe, I dunno, capturable airfields? Or perhaps we could one up it, send a request for the CV to burn a fighter charge from its active squadron type, and have the Squadron automatically drop on top of the DD, and the CV reaps all damage and kills said fighters score?

I played Pre-rework CVs as well, I know how player controlled CVs ruined it, I made it my life's goal to secure air supremacy THEN commit to full on farming, like I said, *Moderation*, possibly only accessible within the first two minutes, bam, now the CVs checkmate each other and the caps are in a safe position for Destroyers till this control timer is up. Possibly they do no damage, but max out the dispersion for the Squadron OR they cannot relay intel.

Not necessarily fair for a predator to have its mechanic given for free to its prey, when was the last time you saw a Battleship with a smokescreen?

Well the Destroyers in this game have infinite torpedoes while in real life most of them had one set of torpedoes to launch and no reload. So where do they come from? Reality clearly does not apply to this game.

I could be in favour of it: smokescreens for Battleships BUT only if the smokescreen break line of sight for everybody involved, no more shooting out of smoke while remaining invisible.

Back on topic:

I agree with you that it might not "feel" right to give the Destroyers such a powerful one-time Consumable but they need it for reasons of game-play. If the Destroyers are too scared to capture one zone at game start or they are too easily prevented by Carriers from doing that they need help. But not 20 minutes of help, and that is why a limited time powerful consumable in my opinion would be the best solution currently. If the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable would only be active for the first 2 minutes like you propose, then that still will not help the Destroyer enough. Suppose he cannot capture due to enemy radar ships preventing him from doing that in the first 2 minutes? Then when he finally moves up, the Aircraft appear. The Destroyer Commander needs ONE chance to operate safely for X amount of time when he needs it. Then it is like a rifle with one bullet: when you use it make it count for something important. The very good Destroyer Commanders probably will not need it, but that is a minority. The majority of Destroyer Commanders needs something like this. Mind you, I play mostly Carriers, almost exclusively in fact. I have played all classes since 2015, but nowadays I mostly play Carriers. Destroyers are my preferred prey.

Members
70 posts
12 battles
12 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

This is incredibly irrational.

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
3 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

I could be in favour of it: smokescreens for Battleships BUT only if the smokescreen break line of sight for everybody involved, no more shooting out of smoke while remaining invisible.

Maybe when a BB fires, it causes the smoke timer to diminish greatly? Real life equivalent of the shockwave pushing the smoke away.

[GOSF]
[GOSF]
Members
194 posts
1,136 battles
8 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

Well the Destroyers in this game have infinite torpedoes while in real life most of them had one set of torpedoes to launch and no reload. So where do they come from? Reality clearly does not apply to this game.

Back on topic:

I agree with you that it might not "feel" right to give the Destroyers such a powerful one-time Consumable but they need it for reasons of game-play. If the Destroyers are too scared to capture one zone at game start or they are too easily prevented by Carriers from doing that they need help. But not 20 minutes of help, and that is why a limited time powerful consumable in my opinion would be the best solution currently. If the "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable would only be active for the first 2 minutes like you propose, then that still will not help the Destroyer enough. Suppose he cannot capture due to enemy radar ships preventing him from doing that in the first 2 minutes? Then when he finally moves up, the Aircraft appear. The Destroyer Commander needs ONE chance to operate safely for X amount of time when he needs it. Then it is like a rifle with one bullet: when you use it make it count for something important. The very good Destroyer Commanders probably will not need it, but that is a minority. The majority of Destroyer Commanders needs something like this. Mind you, I play mostly Carriers, almost exclusively in fact. I have played all classes since 2015, but nowadays I mostly play Carriers. Destroyers are my preferred prey.

Alternatively, WG could just implement a system where you can send a request to a CV on your team without much effort.

They accept it, and the same Fighter Consumable that protects the CV is subtracted one charge from the active flight, and applied to friendly ship for its duration.

Bam, teamplay.

No need for any Looney Tunes "GO AWAY" button that Destroyers don't need ANOTHER of. Picture a Kidd with what you are proposing. Its obscene.

[TNG]
Members
506 posts
8,170 battles

I realize everyone wants to be able to fight back, regardless of ship choice... but some DDs just have crappy AA.  They have other strengths.  Some DDs have remarkably effective AA, so those are an option if that's a big concern.

As far as a new consumable?  DDs have smoke.  CVs have no Hydro... no Radar... They can spam into the smoke, but often that's just a waste of time.  Smoke is incredibly effective for capping points and driving CVs to hunt easier/more visible threats.

If you want dead planes, just ask a friendly cruiser to join you in the smoke sauna.  The AA hellstorm that comes from the cloud will annihilate any planes that wander over.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,530 posts
11,031 battles
16 minutes ago, 10T0nHammer said:

Maybe when a BB fires, it causes the smoke timer to diminish greatly? Real life equivalent of the shockwave pushing the smoke away.

they were going to do that about a year ago, guess how well it went

Edited by tcbaker777

Members
89 posts
14 minutes ago, SerynFate said:

Alternatively, WG could just implement a system where you can send a request to a CV on your team without much effort.

They accept it, and the same Fighter Consumable that protects the CV is subtracted one charge from the active flight, and applied to friendly ship for its duration.

Bam, teamplay.

No need for any Looney Tunes "GO AWAY" button that Destroyers don't need ANOTHER of. Picture a Kidd with what you are proposing. Its obscene.

The most recent NOTSER video shows a GRAF ZEPPELIN commander that sails his Carrier straight into the center of the map at game start and then gets shot to pieces. At match start he flies his Aircraft over a friendly Destroyer but does not press the Fighter button and then NOTSER starts attacking the enemy Destroyer. The "Fighter Patrol Squadrons" Consumable is needed in cases like this. On paper it all sounds fine "teamwork" but from what I have seen it is something you cannot count on. And like I said, I have a lot of experience hunting down enemy Destroyers since version 8.0. Close to 700 Carrier matches in fact since 8.0. The worst of it all is that I see in too many matches that Destroyer Commanders are too afraid to even try and capture and sail behind Battleships and the like. This Consumable would give them the confidence to move up again at match start and get the whole herd... I mean fleet... moving forward with them. I have seen too many matches where whole fleet no longer even try to capture a point if the Destroyers turn back when they see an Aircraft...

As to KIDD. A little anecdote. On the map NEIGHBOURS, which is a small map with little place to hide. I was in a Carrier on that map (in version 8.3 or 8.4 ) and there was an enemy KIDD Destroyer which went straight for me at match start and I knew she would keep me spotted for the whole enemy fleet with no place to hide. That KIDD did not even try to capture a zone, she knew where I was because the enemy Carrier had flown a spotting round at match start and she was out for blood. So I targeted that KIDD with a vengeance making only one attack run per Squadron, eventually she put up smoke but I just cross torpedoed into the smoke. Then she tried to limp back to safety but I gave her no chance. Her AA/Flak setup did not stop the GRAF ZEPPELIN Aircraft that I was using from making one attack run per Squadron. So even KIDD needs that Consumable, she would have been able to retreat if she would have had the Consumable or capture a zone instead. How KIDD is in version 8.5 I do not know, I have not met one in 8.5.

7 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

I realize everyone wants to be able to fight back, regardless of ship choice... but some DDs just have crappy AA.  They have other strengths.  Some DDs have remarkably effective AA, so those are an option if that's a big concern.

As far as a new consumable?  DDs have smoke.  CVs have no Hydro... no Radar... They can spam into the smoke, but often that's just a waste of time.  Smoke is incredibly effective for capping points and driving CVs to hunt easier/more visible threats.

If you want dead planes, just ask a friendly cruiser to join you in the smoke sauna.  The AA hellstorm that comes from the cloud will annihilate any planes that wander over.

Yes and what if there is no Cruiser to help the Destroyer? Or what if none WANTS to help the Destroyer? It happens often. You can only rely on yourself WOWS might be a team game on paper, but in reality random battle matches are just a motley collection of individuals thrown together for 20 minutes at best. As to smoke? I just cross drop torpedoes in smoke with my Carrier. The Destroyer either sits stationary in the smoke and gets hit or she moves and then gets spotted. If she moves out of the smoke I call a Fighter Squadron to keep her spotted and switch from Torpedo Bombers to Rocket Bombers. If I cannot sink her fast enough I keep hitting her till she is so far from the capture point that it does not matter anymore.

Members
276 posts
7 hours ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Fold them up and put them in the torpedo tubes!

Maybe stick them in the stack, launch with engine boost?  

[TNG]
Members
506 posts
8,170 battles
4 minutes ago, Widar_Thule said:

Yes and what if there is no Cruiser to help the Destroyer? Or what if none WANTS to help the Destroyer? It happens often. You can only rely on yourself WOWS might be a team game on paper, but in reality random battle matches are just a motley collection of individuals thrown together for 20 minutes at best. As to smoke? I just cross drop torpedoes in smoke with my Carrier. The Destroyer either sits stationary in the smoke and gets hit or she moves and then gets spotted. If she moves out of the smoke I call a Fighter Squadron to keep her spotted and switch from Torpedo Bombers to Rocket Bombers. If I cannot sink her fast enough I keep hitting her till she is so far from the capture point that it does not matter anymore.

Random Teammates:  You are correct, you can't control random folks you don't know.  However, you chose where you sail.  You can sail away from your team, or you can sail with your team.  That's a player choice, and good game design makes player choice matter (big play or bad play?)

Torp'ing Smoke:  As a CV, you have a weakness that no other ship has.  You do not "claim territory".  You threaten territory... until your planes deplete... and then you're back wherever your CV is.  Because of this, your TIME is VALUABLE.  If you are zooming along with rocket planes and scout a DD, the DD may hold a smoke to see if you pass.  If you turn, they should Smoke.  You can try to attack the smoke, but good DD players will move and shift and mitigate most if not all the damage... and WASTE YOUR TIME.  If you choose to drop a Fighter (spotting the smoke), then hit F (recall planes), and next spend a minute flying back to the smoke... only to continue blind torp'ing it for a minute... you have now spent about 3-4 minutes in a 20 (at most) game playing with a DD whom you probably can't kill with torps even if they leave the smoke.  Remember, TIME is IMPORTANT.  During those 3-4 minutes, the enemy CV should turning the balance of one of your flanks in their team's favor while you play with a DD that wanted to cap.  You may kill the DD, but realize how big of an investment it is because a DD can pop a smoke.

Delaying Cap:  Sometimes delaying a cap is the right call.  Sometimes torp'ing BBs that are bum-rushing your wounded allies is the better call.  The game is filled with decisions to make.

Sign in to follow this