Sign in to follow this  
TheURLGuy

Naval Legends: U.S.S. Cod – Part 1

20 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,145 posts

The individual providing the main narrative kept using "we" as if he was actually there. He does not appear old enough to have been there... we are talking 70 plus years ago. I find it strange he would speak in that manner. 

Members
105 posts
7,594 battles
48 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

The individual providing the main narrative kept using "we" as if he was actually there. He does not appear old enough to have been there... we are talking 70 plus years ago. I find it strange he would speak in that manner. 

Agreed. I found it irritating.

[BOS]
Members
1 post
764 battles

I agree it's odd that he uses "we" as well.  But I do love the Cod very much.  I live about 30 miles south of Cleveland, and actually go and Visit the Submarine Museum at least once a year.  Several times a year they actually still start the engines up.  Also, the Cod is the only Submarine Museum Ship that hasn't had holes cut into it to make it more accessible to the public.  If you want to tour this one, you climb through the same hatches that the crew did.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,324 posts
7,189 battles

I guess this means that my skull and crossbones PJs that I sometimes wear while playing aren't as odd as I thought. And no, I didn't get them specifically for that purpose, it was a happy coincidence. My Yamato mousepad on the other hand, yeah, I got that mostly because of this game. :Smile_teethhappy:

[KAPPA]
Members
1,324 posts
7,189 battles
3 hours ago, PetLoki said:

I agree it's odd that he uses "we" as well.  But I do love the Cod very much.  I live about 30 miles south of Cleveland, and actually go and Visit the Submarine Museum at least once a year.  Several times a year they actually still start the engines up.  Also, the Cod is the only Submarine Museum Ship that hasn't had holes cut into it to make it more accessible to the public.  If you want to tour this one, you climb through the same hatches that the crew did.

What about Pampanito? I thought it was still intact. It is after all, the boat used in 'Down Periscope'. As to the cutting of the hatches and holes, it is a bit sad, but museums often have to balance preservation with presentation. I've seen the U-505 in Chicago and aside from the holes, they've done a very good job with it and it's protected from the elements for the forseeable future.

[-EXE-]
Members
15 posts
2,555 battles

A sailor who served on the USS Cod in WWII and received a Silver Star for his service, used to live on my mail route. After he retired, he built a little cabin in the mountains and stayed there till he died in 2015. He always kept some strawberry smoothies from McDonald's in his freezer, and would frequently give me one after I delivered his mail. :Smile_Default:

Members
32 posts
12,905 battles

Cod is the lucky one, There is currently an intact  WWII Balao class submarine "USS LING" abandoned in a disgraceful flooded state.  It is sitting sideways in the smelly Hackensack River, NewJersey . It was once a War memorial museum. The land  the museum was on was given to them  for $1 a year rental by its owners.  The real estate was bought  up  by a greedy land developer from the owners of the land and had the museum vacated. All the artifacts had to be stored/removed. The Ling has no propellers and over the year the river were it was placed filled up with mud.  Also shallow  bridges were developed all around the river. So now the submarine is totally trapped.   Looters, Storms, weather and since no more electric power for its bilge pumps, flooding took its toll. What a disgrace that State is. 

Edited by warwind_warrior

Beta Testers
9 posts
6,763 battles

I hope that the next part will mention  the Dutch submarine HMNLS O-19. USS Cod tried to get that submarine off a reef but failed so all the Dutch crew members were placed onboard Cod. USS Cod scuttled the Dutch submarine to prevent the ship falling in enemy hands.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

This guy is like a reverse Bob Dole. Instead of talking about himself in the third person, he's talking about events he wasn't at in the first person! :cap_wander_2:

[KRYST]
Members
10 posts
5,215 battles

Agree about the "we". Originally from Cleveland and visited the Cod many times. Nice to see her still going strong.

Members
3 posts

Hello fellow naval historians... I am Paul Farace, the guy using the Royal "We" in the video on USS Cod. I am sorry you were offended in any way. But knowing that I can take this opportunity to provide you with a way of looking at the issue from a different perspective. As the current "skipper" of USS Cod, and a crewman of the boat for more than 43 years, it is the tradition for the crew to adopt the history of their ship. I remember seeing this in action years ago when I visited the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor. The young and lovely female petty officer giving us a tour of "Old Ironsides" frequently referred to "when we engaged HMS Guerriere, … etc."  She had me in the palm of her hand... and at no time did I think that she was a day over 28!   As the current voice of the Cod I spoke on behalf of the sub and her crew... many of whom I considered dear friends and sea uncles in the last decades of their lives. I encourage my crew to speak in that same role... for as the WWII crew invested us as their successors, they asked that we speak for them in keeping the memory of them and their comrades alive for future generations. We make no claims to being military vets and certainly I was not born when Cod was fighting enemy ships and being depth charged. But by personally unearthing that unique history, helping to preserve that sub, restoring her lost details, and giving the WW II crew back their history, I am very comfortable - as should my crew be - in speaking on the ship's behalf and using that very honored and cherished "We..."

• Cool 2

Members
3 posts
3 minutes ago, Paul_Farace said:

Hello fellow naval historians... I am Paul Farace, the guy using the Royal "We" in the video on USS Cod. I am sorry you were offended in any way. But knowing that I can take this opportunity to provide you with a way of looking at the issue from a different perspective. As the current "skipper" of USS Cod, and a crewman of the boat for more than 43 years, it is the tradition for the crew to adopt the history of their ship. I remember seeing this in action years ago when I visited the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor. The young and lovely female petty officer giving us a tour of "Old Ironsides" frequently referred to "when we engaged HMS Guerriere, … etc."  She had me in the palm of her hand... and at no time did I think that she was a day over 28!   As the current voice of the Cod I spoke on behalf of the sub and her crew... many of whom I considered dear friends and sea uncles in the last decades of their lives. I encourage my crew to speak in that same role... for as the WWII crew invested us as their successors, they asked that we speak for them in keeping the memory of them and their comrades alive for future generations. We make no claims to being military vets and certainly I was not born when Cod was fighting enemy ships and being depth charged. But by personally unearthing that unique history, helping to preserve that sub, restoring her lost details, and giving the WW II crew back their history, I am very comfortable - as should my crew be - in speaking on the ship's behalf and using that very honored and cherished "We..."

On 7/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, ___BIGGLES___ said:

A sailor who served on the USS Cod in WWII and received a Silver Star for his service, used to live on my mail route. After he retired, he built a little cabin in the mountains and stayed there till he died in 2015. He always kept some strawberry smoothies from McDonald's in his freezer, and would frequently give me one after I delivered his mail. :Smile_Default:

Was that Johnny Wallace in Estes Park, CO? 

Members
3 posts
17 hours ago, Thunder_invader_11 said:

I hope that the next part will mention  the Dutch submarine HMNLS O-19. USS Cod tried to get that submarine off a reef but failed so all the Dutch crew members were placed onboard Cod. USS Cod scuttled the Dutch submarine to prevent the ship falling in enemy hands.

I hope they include that as well. We are about the do our annual reenactment of the rescue (Sat. July 13 at 2 p.m.) … and next year is the 75th anniversary of the only international sub-to-sub rescue in history!  We have film of the rescue and the 10-year aftermath of O19... sadly it was almost totally scrapped in the early 2000s.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts
On 7/3/2019 at 11:25 PM, Paul_Farace said:

Hello fellow naval historians... I am Paul Farace, the guy using the Royal "We" in the video on USS Cod. I am sorry you were offended in any way.

I'm not sure which is more funny, the terrible apology or assuming people were offended. You do you, guy. Weird, extremely uncommon mannerisms are weird and extremely uncommon, not "offensive".

Sign in to follow this