You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeepBrine

What kind of player community is this?

68 comments in this topic

Members
231 posts
79 battles

I don't have much of an issue with CV players, what I do have an issue with are CV players with like sub 20k avg dmg and a ranked win rate in the 30s after hundreds of games played loading up in ranked.  That is beyond selfish.  It's an act of sabotage and they should be punished for it.  The problem is that there is a huge population of the player base with social disorders that don't understand a simple concept:  Just because something is legal (or within the Terms of Service), doesn't mean you should do it.

Online gaming stunts development of social skills and caring about how their behavior affects others.  Respect and empathy are not being developed.  People who already have limitations in this area are only making their condition worse.  Of course, they'll get all defensive about it and downvote (boring or anger take your pick), but they're just proving my point.  They are becoming sociopaths.  Evil isn't about going out of your way to hurt others.  Evil is simply acting in one's own self interest without any care or consideration on how it hurts others.

Of course, you often can't reason with these people because the same issues that are making them the way they are also reflects in their lack of awareness.  They are just not aware.  We can't punish them in game, WG doesn't allow us to police our own.  But we can take solace in knowing that the universe is punishing them every day in lost opportunities in career and relationships due to their selfishness.

• Cool 2

[-FK-]
Members
96 posts
5,130 battles

I had some arfhole torpedo me in my Missouri awhile back saying it is " an elitist ship and the masses can't have it so I can't play with it" wth some damn little Marxist running around sinking premium ships because he doesn't have them??

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,076 posts
1 minute ago, Martymart1976 said:

I had some arfhole torpedo me in my Missouri awhile back saying it is " an elitist ship and the masses can't have it so I can't play with it" wth some damn little Marxist running around sinking premium ships because he doesn't have them??

he that bad he can't win some his own self? i got a bunch , don't play them all but they're my trophies i won them and if i wanna play them i will.

[NFE]
Members
358 posts
3,185 battles
18 minutes ago, Martymart1976 said:

Him saying that is as stupid as someone rejecting your opinion because he wants "cold, hard facts".

In AlfaTesters
380 posts
18 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

I don't have much of an issue with CV players, what I do have an issue with are CV players with like sub 20k avg dmg and a ranked win rate in the 30s after hundreds of games played loading up in ranked.  That is beyond selfish.  It's an act of sabotage and they should be punished for it.  The problem is that there is a huge population of the player base with social disorders that don't understand a simple concept:  Just because something is legal (or within the Terms of Service), doesn't mean you should do it.

Online gaming stunts development of social skills and caring about how their behavior affects others.  Respect and empathy are not being developed.  People who already have limitations in this area are only making their condition worse.  Of course, they'll get all defensive about it and downvote (boring or anger take your pick), but they're just proving my point.  They are becoming sociopaths.  Evil isn't about going out of your way to hurt others.  Evil is simply acting in one's own self interest without any care or consideration on how it hurts others.

Of course, you often can't reason with these people because the same issues that are making them the way they are also reflects in their lack of awareness.  They are just not aware.  We can't punish them in game, WG doesn't allow us to police our own.  But we can take solace in knowing that the universe is punishing them every day in lost opportunities in career and relationships due to their selfishness.

You just summed up this community very well!  

I ‘think’ its the free to play nature of the game that attracts them.  Not looking to invest anything but time makes a ‘strategic goal’ of burning the game to the ground a bonus as those of us that have spent cash experience the loss.

I tried to recommend this game to friends years ago, they looked at me in horror and referenced the well known toxicity of the ‘community’.

Then WG made top ten most toxic game communities.  It won’t improve.

Members
231 posts
79 battles
11 minutes ago, Theodin said:

You just summed up this community very well!  

I ‘think’ its the free to play nature of the game that attracts them.  Not looking to invest anything but time makes a ‘strategic goal’ of burning the game to the ground a bonus as those of us that have spent cash experience the loss.

I tried to recommend this game to friends years ago, they looked at me in horror and referenced the well known toxicity of the ‘community’.

Then WG made top ten most toxic game communities.  It won’t improve.

We don't learn as humans anywhere near as well when we're simply told what we did was inappropriate.  The pain we feel as we suffer the full weight of the consequences is how it sticks on our memory and helps us reflect on that pain the next time we think about doing the same thing again.  WG's model robs the player base of learning in this regard.  It's too easy to fail your way to T10, fail your way into Ranked 1-5 bracket, etc.  Random mode is the only player vs player mode available 24/7.  T8+ the stakes are higher due to repair costs.  It is 100% sensible to carve out this small section of the game for players that care about producing results.  I think there should be a penalty where if a player fails to do 50% of their ship's damage in a match 3/5 times, they are restricted to co-op for 20 games.  If they want to play high tier and don't care about being a team player, that's what co-op is for.  If we cannot have players properly self regulating, the game should have some basic regulations in place to get players into the game modes suitable to their play style and ability.  Likewise, if you are playing 1-3 tier and doing more than double your ship's hitpoints in 3/5 battles, those tiers should be disabled for 20 battles.  It's only fair that seal clubbers are also kept to a minimum to help new players get acclimated to the game.  It goes both ways.  So all you forum trolls that think I'm being elitist, you can sit on that.

This is no different than elderly golfers moving up to the amateur tees or even the ladies tees when they can no longer drive the ball 300+ yards.  They do this so that they are not slowing down the groups behind them.  Sophisticated people.  Decent... human... beings.  This is what life is all about.  It's why we don't need rules at the ice skating rink to skate counter clockwise. Everyone knows to do it out of respect and safety of others.  Self regulation.  Common decency.  It's disturbing how many players in WoWs and elsewhere online and even out in the world today do not entertain this decency thought process in their mental flow chart.  I cannot think of a single career or healthy relationship they could ever last in with such a low EQ (emotional intelligence).

[SOV]
Members
4,402 posts
1 hour ago, Pytheas said:

Slow down turbo. He was recounting an event he stated happened and you said it's accurate. Do you have a replay?

Ok so all the disgusting hate is Ok with you.

I totaly be live him because its happened to me.

And 6 months assult does that to people.

I guaranty if someone came on and said green cv torp me you would automaticly believe

• Boring 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,702 posts
12,392 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

At this point, the replies of the anti-CV crowd are becoming so blinkered and spiteful that my sympathies are entirely with the CV drivers and likely to remain so.

If I weren't a part-time CV driver already, I think I'd start playing the type right now purely out of solidarity.

Agreed. Anti-CV-ism is the WoWs new racism.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Ok so all the disgusting hate is Ok with you.

I totaly be live him because its happened to me.

And 6 months assult does that to people.

I guaranty if someone came on and said green cv torp me you would automaticly believe

Again. Please tell me what part of his recounting of that event was accurate and how do you know it is?

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
34 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Agreed. Anti-CV-ism is the WoWs new racism.

Maybe let's leave calling things racist to actual racism. I'll give you a for instance, the buddy of yours you quoted - the man his handle is an homage to was an actual racist and populated his writings with racist themes. That really doesn't have anything to do with people not liking a particular class on a video game. That's good ole fashioned racism.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,702 posts
12,392 battles
52 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

Maybe let's leave calling things racist to actual racism. I'll give you a for instance, the buddy of yours you quoted - the man his handle is an homage to was an actual racist and populated his writings with racist themes. That really doesn't have anything to do with people not liking a particular class on a video game. That's good ole fashioned racism.

It’s beyond not liking the class, it’s the knee jerk reaction of players to other players; the insults, the derision, the TKs, the justification the practitioners offer for it. 

If you don’t like the term racism for it, then accept “bigotry”. That is what it is.

• Boring 1

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
13 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

It’s beyond not liking the class, it’s the knee jerk reaction of players to other players; the insults, the derision, the TKs, the justification the practitioners offer for it. 

If you don’t like the term racism for it, then accept “bigotry”. That is what it is.

Ok, well maybe I just haven't seen it. I'll take your word for it though. I think we can agree people could be nicer.

Members
31 posts
640 battles
13 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Friendly torpedoes dont cause flooding.

Your story doesn't add up.

Pretty sure I did not say there was flooding. 

Further as a CV player, I have no control over my DC party (at least not at IV on a Langley, no idea about other ships / levels).

If you prefer to believe I am lying, that is your prerogative.  As I noted to another poster, I have not yet figured out how to do replays (had no need) and it appears that battle records are not retained through log off and/or game upgrades.

Members
31 posts
640 battles
19 hours ago, Wowzery said:

How many games have you played?  How many different players have you already interacted with and had no problems?  Now, you're allowing a few to dictate what the whole community is while ignoring the countless others who didn't do anything.

300+ battles.  About 140 games in the CV.  Almost half CoOp for CV since I wanted to get my skill levels adequate before inflicting myself on real players.  

Yes, the numbers point to the "TK a CV for mommy" crowd being pretty small.  

I suppose if I start a CV group that runs around saying " TK a DD for mommY" it will be a small group so that is OK?

I agree that the majority of responses have been very supportive of the "that was not cool" viewpoint.  Even most of the folks who view CVs as a plague on all that is good and right in the world have said that TKing a CV is not cool.

Yet, in this thread there have been folks who have essentially said that they cheer the TKing of a CV.  Pulling up posts from other members of the clan that my special friend is from gives more of this

"DD players are still not satisfied and will not be until CVs are driven from the game".

That is messed up.  A clan attitude that essentially is focused on driving CVs from the game.  Really?

Members
31 posts
640 battles

OK.  I have wasted the better part of an hour reading and responding.  Enough. 

I have seen a seriously toxic response that essentially called me, a CV player, a wrinkle necked brown trout in the punch bowl at the party.  Way to welcome the new guy, shipmate!

In a simple 3 minute search, I have seen a clan that seems to promote removal of the CV from the game via griefing and harassment.  Pretty messed up that is even tolerated inside the game platform.

I have seen folks insist that I am lying because I have not brought a replay to the table.  Right.  I am pretty sure that a replay would run afoul of "name and shame" policies, even if I bother to figure out how to do it.

I have seen folks say that it is okay for this to happen 'cause it is only a small part of the community.  It would be nice if it were a "part of the community" that was being excommunicated.  Zero tolerance did wonders for the drug problem in the USN back in the day. It would likely work here for this problem.  Shutting down the griefing player and putting a clan on probation will likely make it clear that this is not ok in the community.  Toleration of misbehavior only encourages misbehavior.

I came to this game at the suggestion of a friend who thought this might be a fun way to keep in touch while we were on opposite sides of the pond.  While the idea of a regular game session with this friend is good, I will be looking at other gaming options.  I won't uninstall WOWS.  I won't "never come back" but WOWS is no longer a first pick for a game to play.

This is not good news for WOWS. 

I, as one customer, don't matter.  I, as one customer who has bothered to come here and discuss this problem, likely represent a whole bunch more who encountered the same pleasant DD - CV interaction and just left with out saying a word. That is not good news for WOWS or for this player community.    The "free to play, pay to win" model demands new players to be financially solvent.

You all need to clean up your act.  Self police.  Get WOWS to police.  Whatever.  Just figure out how to not crap all over new players before you stop getting new players.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
281 posts
4,488 battles

You have to have some fun with the idiots. These people are all the same. You can push them right over the brink with a bit of poking and prodding. I tease them until I can see the steam coming out of their ears. By then they are completely belligerent and incomprehensible, stewing in their own anger.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,764 posts
12,389 battles

It's fairly rare, but it does happen. Report them and if it's this blatant,  submit a ticket with the replay. With enough evidence,  something will hopefully get done about him eventually.

I'd be curious how many reports get received on how many players, how many have actions taken against them, and how many don't learn the lesson.  I have no idea what would count as good or bad, but it would be interesting to see the scale of it.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,144 posts
7,256 battles
22 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

I don't know, but I know that being sleep deprived, hiking all morning in the mountains, low blood sugar, and an electrolyte imbalance can lead to me panic unloading a full BB broadside into a friendly DD's stern 5km away. I actually believed, for all the world, that he was an enemy, until I got the team damage message. Um... epic potato brain.

Heh, I do that occasionally in just about every PvP game I've ever played.....

• Cool 1