You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree

26 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles

Putting this up now because it's not necessarily a public holiday outside of Canada.

Over the weekend, I completed Directive 1 of Rogue Wave (in routine play), advanced my progress towards the Shinonome a tiny bit, and managed to finish my New York grind and grab the New Mexico. Finished Part 1 of the Unique Upgrade grind for the Minotaur. Had one VERY good game in the New York which proved the adage that sailing broadside to a battleship is indeed a paddlin', and managed to administer three of them (plus another, later on Sunday, to a T7 cruiser that got careless).

Found out as a result of the Honourable Service mission that a Baltimore can citadel an Izumo in a YOLO rush at almost zero range. The Izumo captain was very Whisky Tango Foxtrot about that one (since it was enough to finish him off), and I have to admit I was as surprised as he was. 

Speaking of sailing broadside to things and getting paddled, I've done the most obscenely disgusting things in the Fiji in co-op. A short time ago I did a driveby on a bot Myoko and got a full broadside into his side for something like 23,000 damage. Over the weekend I delivered an 18K paddling to another careless bot. Of course opportunites like those aren't going to come up in Randoms much, but when they do... oh boy, does that thing hit hard.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,555 posts
4,861 battles

Stop hiding in Coop.....you WILL embrace randoms and all the fun there is to be had! :cap_haloween:

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
5 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Stop hiding in Coop.....you WILL embrace randoms and all the fun there is to be had! :cap_haloween:

Dude, do you know how many Random games I'd played on Saturday night before you turned up & went divving and sealclubbing with me? :Smile_trollface:

Even yesterday, 7 out of 12 battles I played were in Randoms. But if I'm getting near the end and I just need a few thousand XP to grab that last container, I'd rather pound out a few fast-paced DD YOLO co-op games than grind out a massive Randoms epic that could end in a throw at the last minute.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,555 posts
4,861 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Dude, do you know how many Random games I'd played on Saturday night before you turned up & went divving and sealclubbing with me? :Smile_trollface:

Even yesterday, 7 out of 12 battles I played were in Randoms. But if I'm getting near the end and I just need a few thousand XP to grab that last container, I'd rather pound out a few fast-paced DD YOLO co-op games than grind out a massive Randoms epic that could end in a throw at the last minute.

7 equals 5 too less.

Don't make me come over there!

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles

I too completed the first directive, all of it. Every sub-task.

I didn't count the battles or the hours. It would be alarming, I'm sure.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
59 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

I will not return to Randoms til CVs are worked out.

You're making the problem worse by not being there. You realise that, don't you?

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

It was cut short when The game got stuck on the waiting for a match screen (the icon had popped up that tells you you got a match, but I remained stuck on this screen)  After several minutes, the game crashed...   I then got the popup box telling me the application had crashed, and do I want to send an error report.   It was then shut off and reloaded- which also failed.

Games had been getting laggy,  so I decided to reboot the laptop, too. 

It then took forever to get logged on again, and once it did, it stayed up only long enough to tell me I'd been pinked for "Leaving the game early or AFK-ing", before I got kicked.   After that,  I was not able to sign in again.   (it'd get stuck on the signing in page, then time out and disconnect me again)   I gave up, and said screw it...

So thanks, WG...  For the pink- and for the waste of several flags, inc some special ones.  (I was armored up for war in Salem, grinding for captain xp and silver):Smile-angry:

It figures, too- I just re-upped my premium time, and got some doubloons...

Before that,  I'd had some good, fun games.   Mostly in tier 6 US BB's- I played a bunch of games in West Virginia, then switched to AZ, and then New Mex.  (NM had been parked for a while in port, while the crew learned to speak Russian.  None of them understood a darn thing Cap'n Dasha said, and it wasn't good... lol)   West Virginny had a hard time missing things, yesterday and was wrecking serious face!  Thus I just kept playing it.  Highlights including a blind snapshot over mountains at an Arizona, just before the terrain warning appeared- that citadelled it, lol.   That led to an all out brawl between me, our CV, and three BB's that left them all smoking sinking wrecks.   Arizona also had a great day.  Absolutely nuking a tier 6 Soviet BB, with a perfect broadside salvo, lol.

New Mex ended up sailing back to port in disgust, after getting stuck in a few battles with hyperactive monkeys for teammates.

I then switched to higher tiers, hoping for a better crowd.  Alsace, Alaska, and Salem!   All were just as fun as I remembered- and as effective!   Salem especially.   After being annoyed by a couple of useless 4 minute wins,  I went all out balls to the wall in Salem.   Freaking ship is terrifying, the sheer amount of damage it can do while being shot at from multiple directions!   I landed something like 19 citadels, 120 hits, 2 fires, and 3 killed.   It would have been 4, but the burning smoking hulk of an Alsace beached on an island was picked off by a teammate before it burned to death.  (bastard wouldn't quit shooting at me- so I had to learn him!!)  Ended up coming out on top that match.

Salem is pure evil when played correctly!   Great Job devs!!

Somewhere in there was a Gascogne game we ended up losing.  We got the uber-bots, and the team just evaporated.   I got my licks in, beating the crap out of a Myoko (too busy torping an allied BB to notice Gassy taking him apart, I guess), and doing serious damage to 3 others before they focused me down.   That game got me the secondaries mission done at least.

Members
243 posts
11,868 battles

I also finished the first Directive this weekend, and most of the sub-tasks.  Played Rogue battles as a a change of pace at times, and cleared 3 or so of those sub-tasks Sunday by just playing.  Also unlocked one of the 2nd tier dds.  Worked Saturday so fiddled around with randoms and coop back and forth afterwards.  Sunday played a few coop in a grind-sorta way, then a few randoms (so so wins & losses) with my french and british ships, then a bunch of RW before calling it a night.  See how this week goes with the 4th Holiday on Thursday (no plans, so may just play a bit and do some packing; probably moving back east in a few weeks from here in TX).

[P2W]
Members
425 posts
11,610 battles

This weekend I played Civilization. Carriers don’t show up until the endgame and the lack of toxic opponents is a nice change. 

We’ll see if 8.6 is any better. Enjoy yourselves. 

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles

Bought Planescape Torment, an RPG classic, dirt cheap and spent some time there. The story and plot are simply impeccable, highly recommended :Smile_great:.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
790 posts
16,478 battles
59 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You're making the problem worse by not being there. You realise that, don't you?

Seems a lot of cv captains adopted the same mentality over the weekend, I hardly saw any in the games I played. Maybe 1 in every 5 games which is not the norm for the weekend since the rework. Guess they are upset that they now actually lose planes when charging aa ships.

Back to topic. Unlocked the second gunboat dd in Savage battles, then decided that would be as far as I would go as that game mode becomes a bit boring for me after a couple games.

No specific grinds attempted (not going to be able to get Benham, so not bothering to push the objectives for fuel tokens), just tried to have some fun and played ships I like.

Overall a very good weekend in terms of wins and damage done.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,114 posts
20,344 battles
2 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Hardly any CV matches anymore.  Seems to be self correcting.

[SIM]
Members
4,579 posts
7,589 battles

Got through the first set of directives and the first set of Rogue Wave resource missions, while grinding through more co-op games and Rogue Wave battles than I care to mention. I’ve been having a reasonable amount of fun with the Hill, which is good since I’ll be playing her for a month. 

Highlight of the weekend for me was a game in my Musashi, for a star needed to break a Naval Battles tie. It was on Mountain Range (one of my least favorite maps), at tier X, and most of the team on the eastern side of the map died early. It was looking like a pretty bad loss, until me and a Vladivostok cleaned five guys out of the west, and a Salem and a Neptune mopped up the east. I ended up with four kills and came within 300 points of my personal damage record. 

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
37 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

Guess they are upset that they now actually lose planes when charging aa ships.

My fortunes are mixed. I played two battles in the Furious yesterday, the first of which was awful - team folded, opposition was AA-heavy - and the second of which was MUCH better. Close game, but the targets weren't balling up as much and I was able to get at least one strike in on each before recalling the flight to avoid horrific losses. That one wound up being a win.

I would have pushed on harder, but I have a lot of things I'm working on at the moment so I'm pacing myself across multiple ships and setting myself easily-met daily targets. 

[SHAFT]
Members
790 posts
16,478 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My fortunes are mixed. I played two battles in the Furious yesterday, the first of which was awful - team folded, opposition was AA-heavy - and the second of which was MUCH better. Close game, but the targets weren't balling up as much and I was able to get at least one strike in on each before recalling the flight to avoid horrific losses. That one wound up being a win.

I would have pushed on harder, but I have a lot of things I'm working on at the moment so I'm pacing myself across multiple ships and setting myself easily-met daily targets. 

Yes, pacing and keeping those easy short term goals is definitely the way to go. Keeps the game enjoyable and less frustrating.

Regarding cvs, I haven't tried them since the rework and this is just my observation from being their target. The cv players I've had the hardest time dealing with have been the ones who have shown some level of patience when approaching my ship especially if I'm in an aa cruiser. They are very aware of the limit of my aa bubble and will tend to just circle just out of reach until they can make that attack run against the bow or stern of my ship. Even if I turn to get the side that I have the buffed aa level on to point at their planes they are usually past the long range zone so take less damage.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles

@Rabin69 You really ought to, if you have them, if only to get a window on what life is like for the other side.

[SHAFT]
Members
790 posts
16,478 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Rabin69 You really ought to, if you have them, if only to get a window on what life is like for the other side.

Maybe at some time when WG gets the final product out, the current system still seems like a beta test.

With the old system I had decent stats at T4 and 5. At T6 when strafing became available I decided early on that my skills were not up to being an effective cv player so I stopped. I always felt that the ability to do this well was what differentiated the bad from the good/great cv players and to be totally honest if they had changed this aspect instead of a full rework they may have been surprised at how many people may have been willing to play cvs IMHO.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
5 hours ago, Rabin69 said:

With the old system I had decent stats at T4 and 5. At T6 when strafing became available I decided early on that my skills were not up to being an effective cv player so I stopped.

We have more in common than you realise, LOL. The change to this system is the reason I'm pushing on to Tier 8; the planes may be different and the attacks might have their quirks, but the basic skill-set is the same all the way up and I don't have to face someone who's had years of experience to practise skills I've only had access to for mere days.

[TDD]
Members
1,152 posts
9,305 battles

finished directive 1 but not all the subtasks.... unlocked all three of the T2 rogue wave DDs

continued my love affair with the Georgia, so much fun in that thing win or lose

• Cool 1

[BBMOD]
Members
321 posts
5,307 battles
10 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

As others have already mentioned, CV sightings are way down. Didn't really see any until Sunday evening and even then it was only about 1 in 5 games. I did play a few T5 games last night and had a double CV (T4s) in one of them.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
8 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

but not all the subtasks

:etc_swear: the other subtasks; you can get the rest done along the way. :fish_book: It's the directives themselves that matter.

I may not get even the Hill b/c real life is going to intervene heavily in Week 3, but it's going to be fun trying and it's had the effect of remotivating my Randoms play. Rather ironic, since it was the equally horrific Indianapolis Marathon exactly a year ago which DE-motivated it. If not for Directives, I'd probably have spent every day since last September bashing bots in the Ishizuchi full-time. I can't even begin to imagine what an Indy Marathon-style event to win a Tier 9 ship would be like. "Get a Kraken, survive, and win the battle."

• Cool 1

Members
3,260 posts
11,724 battles

My weekends are in the middle of week.

Played well, won alot. Mostly cause I finished the RU T9 BB, Soyuz. Had trouble winning in that ship. The Kremlin on the other hand is the complete opposite. It's hard for me to lose in it. 

Got the Georgia, fun boat; I can feel the difference in 6 guns vs 9 though. 

The event, Im completely ignoring along with the alternate game mode. Too busy in the summer to commit that amount of time. 

edit: Also wish all the Muricans! A early fun, happy, and safe 4th of July. Since I dont typically visit the forums often on my days off. 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
10,956 posts
14,942 battles
10 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Decide for your self when that is. Ignore when the forum thinks that is.