You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snarky_Wombat

QOL Improvement Request: Number Seperators

27 comments in this topic

Members
505 posts

Hi all,

Something that has been bothering me of late in my old age is the difficulty reading large numbers in the WoWs client.  WG, can we please get number separators?  For example.  11,000,000 is far easier to read than 11000000.

A little QOL improvement but a handy one.  Agree?

Cheers.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,817 posts
15,153 battles

That is a totally reasonable and sensible thing to request.  Want to guess the chances of it being implemented?  

They probably can't figure out how to provide Europeans with '.' separators and Americans with ',' separators.  And I think Japanese separate numbers in 4s instead of 3s, i.e., 1,000,000 to Americans might be written as 100,0000 to Japanese, using whatever separator they like.

[TBW]
Members
9,532 posts
16,251 battles

This has been asked before and every one thought it was a good idea, it was totally ignored by WG however.

Members
505 posts
7 hours ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

This has been asked before and every one thought it was a good idea, it was totally ignored by WG however.

I hope it's not so ignored now.  Such a small change would be a huge help for those of us not blessed with young eyes!

Members
505 posts

@LittleWhiteMouse  You seem to have the devs ear from time to time.  If I may impose, I would love to see this little QOL life improvement suggested to help out that those with accessibility issues out there.  Just a little thing but would help a lot :)

Cheers.

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles

Do commas exist in Russia? Serious question I dont know. If they don't, maybe that's why WG doesn't use them. 

[ARGSY]
Members
17,419 posts
12,084 battles
9 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

That is a totally reasonable and sensible thing to request.  Want to guess the chances of it being implemented?  

They probably can't figure out how to provide Europeans with '.' separators and Americans with ',' separators.  And I think Japanese separate numbers in 4s instead of 3s, i.e., 1,000,000 to Americans might be written e  100,0000 to Japanese, using whatever separator they like.

The funny thing is, if you hover your mouse over the prizes for the cash directives in the current event, they are rendered with spaces as separators on thousands intervals, e.g. 700 000 credits; 2 000 coal.

Members
505 posts

It is all a bit inconsistent isn't it?  Even though having periods as thousand separators looks very strange to me, I'd still take that of monolithic blocks.  Can't hurt but to ask.

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
7,637 battles

I agree!

Especially with the current Savage Battle economic grind. The first phase requires you to earn 600000 credits and then 2400000 credits and the second phase is 1500000 credits concluding with 6000000 credits. And yes, that's how it's presented in the Missions and no it is not easy to read.

It should absolutely be: 600,000, 2,400,000, 1,500,000 & 6,000,000 credits. For a grand total of 16,800,000 credits. Which is a lot more than 1680000 credits. That's what I thought it was at first. I wouldn't have been so confused if they had been more generous with the commas (or periods or even spaces) as separators.

Wargaming -- please release the separators!

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,573 posts
9,398 battles
5 hours ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

@LittleWhiteMouse  You seem to have the devs ear from time to time.  If I may impose, I would love to see this little QOL life improvement suggested to help out that those with accessibility issues out there.  Just a little thing but would help a lot :)

Cheers.

I can suggest it, but I dunno that they'll go for it.  It would have to be implemented as an option.  In a lot of the world, a comma separator between numbers is used instead of a decimal.  So 1,341 might be one thousand, three hundred and forty-one to most English speakers but to French speakers, that's one point three-four-one.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,785 posts
40,930 battles

WG already uses a space as a thousands separator for items like credits and Free XP in main port screen.  Also used for total elite commander XP in commander screen.  The issue is that there is no thousands separator for amounts in stuff like missions and directives.  I don't know why they don't use a space in those items when they use it for others.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,794 posts
11,969 battles
15 hours ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Hi all,

Something that has been bothering me of late in my old age is the difficulty reading large numbers in the WoWs client.  WG, can we please get number separators?  For example.  11,000,000 is far easier to read than 11000000.

Cheers.

15 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

They probably can't figure out how to provide Europeans with '.' separators and Americans with ',' separators.  And I think Japanese separate numbers in 4s instead of 3s, i.e., 1,000,000 to Americans might be written as 100,0000 to Japanese, using whatever separator they like.

12 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I can suggest it, but I dunno that they'll go for it.  It would have to be implemented as an option.  In a lot of the world, a comma separator between numbers is used instead of a decimal.  So 1,341 might be one thousand, three hundred and forty-one to most English speakers but to French speakers, that's one point three-four-one.

Yeah, the , and . are used as separators in a lot of the world and are 180 degrees from each other. 1,000,000,000.01 and 1.000.000.000,01 are the same number in various parts of the world. I don't know about how the Japanese do number separators, but in the south asia, India, Pakistan, etc, it can go like this; 1,00,00,00,000.01 as the same number as above.

Here is the specific part on south asian way of writing numbers.  https://youtu.be/l4bmZ1gRqCc?t=256

This is the full video which is very interesting.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,573 posts
9,398 battles
25 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yeah, the , and . are used as separators in a lot of the world and are 180 degrees from each other. 1,000,000,000.01 and 1.000.000.000,01 are the same number in various parts of the world. I don't know about how the Japanese do number separators, but in the south asia, India, Pakistan, etc, it can go like this; 1,00,00,00,000.01 as the same number as above.

Here is the specific part on south asian way of writing numbers.  https://youtu.be/l4bmZ1gRqCc?t=256

This is the full video which is very interesting.

So long as you use two or more separators, most people can USUALLY figure it out.  Generally speaking, if you have a lot of exposure to a given language, you'll be aware and/or comfortable of the separator system.  I grew up using just spacing.  So when I write on pen and paper, I write my numbers like this:

(Mouse will be using ten thousand, decimal five-eight for her example)

• 10 000,58 (god that feels weird to type)

But anyone that's familiar with my typed body of work knows that I use the American/British practice of linking triple-numbers with comma separators and I use a period for decimals. 

Members
231 posts
79 battles

Writing out 70000000 instead of 70,000,000 or 70.000.000 is to satisfy the PC police.  You can't have the comma folks at odds with the period folks or everything will descend into chaos, besides those extra pixels are the cause of global warming.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,485 posts
10,301 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yes,  it could be added as an option in the settings.  That way, each individual could taylor it to suite their region's number type.

[INTEL]
Members
2,730 posts
14,664 battles

Officer, are you sure it was my car you observed speeding?  My plate number is 000Q000, not 0000Q00.

image.png.1ba2b40c5c646cc9e4f01e98efc71c00.png

[ARGSY]
Members
17,419 posts
12,084 battles
26 minutes ago, A_Burning_Sensation said:

You can't have the comma folks at odds with the period folks or everything will descend into chaos

Actual wars have been fought in the distant past over this sort of garbage.

Use spaces as separators for lots of thousands. They do it already, and anyone intelligent enough to download the game and play it will be able to adapt to that.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PVE]
Members
19,794 posts
11,969 battles
36 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

So long as you use two or more separators, most people can USUALLY figure it out.  Generally speaking, if you have a lot of exposure to a given language, you'll be aware and/or comfortable of the separator system.  I grew up using just spacing.  So when I write on pen and paper, I write my numbers like this:

(Mouse will be using ten thousand, decimal five-eight for her example)

• 10 000,58 (god that feels weird to type)

But anyone that's familiar with my typed body of work knows that I use the American/British practice of linking triple-numbers with comma separators and I use a period for decimals. 

I use the American system of comma and period, but since my dad was in the US Army and I spent 3 years in Germany (5-7 years old), I am not tripped up by the period and comma system. The lakh and crore is just weird, but I'm sure with enough time I could get used to it.

3 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Officer, are you sure it was my car you observed speeding?  My plate number is 000Q000, not 0000Q00.

image.png.1ba2b40c5c646cc9e4f01e98efc71c00.png

Officer - Well, since the DMV doesn't have 000Q000 in your model and color, it was you. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Kizarvexis
added time frame for when I was in Germany the second time.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
16 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

No, Japan does it 1,000,000 like everyone else. They wouldn't go by 4s anyway because 4 is considered an unlucky number in most Asian cultures including Japan.

Do Europeans seriously use decimals instead of commas? Doesn't that get confusing when going into actual decimals?

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[PVE]
Members
19,794 posts
11,969 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

No, Japan does it 1,000,000 like everyone else. They wouldn't go by 4s anyway because 4 is considered an unlucky number in most Asian cultures including Japan.

Do Europeans seriously use decimals instead of commas? Doesn't that get confusing when going into actual decimals?

American/British/Japanese is 1,000.5. European and likely countries colonized by Europeans are 1.000,5. The decimals are separated by a comma and the thousands by periods.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

American/British/Japanese is 1,000.5. European and likely countries colonized by Europeans are 1.000,5. The decimals are separated by a comma and the thousands by periods.

So it's literally the reverse.

I have to admit that's kinda lame.

Space separations seem like the best course here.

[PVE]
Members
19,794 posts
11,969 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

So it's literally the reverse.

I have to admit that's kinda lame.

Space separations seem like the best course here.

Spacing would work or having a toggle for period/comma or comma/period. If you look at the video I posted earlier, Tom Scott talks about a lot of different number systems and it is pretty interesting.

Members
652 posts
20 hours ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Hi all,

Cheers.

Not to be snarky, but this was literally suggested last Thursday: 

Members
505 posts
6 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

@LittleWhiteMouse Sure, an option would be a good idea.  I am not advocating for purely one way or the highway, in fact having the option really is the best apporach for sure.  It would be far better than the myriad different styles they have now.